Disneyland chronic pain but can’t use wheelchair, please help!

Most benches are low in the back at the parks. For a high-backed seat, you would have to book a meal at a restaurant?
I know you said you were too tall for a rollator, and this sounds crazy, but could someone else push a rollator around and have a thick seat cushion on it to add height for sitting when you need it?

I wanted to buy a second rollator for DH. Couldn't find the exact same one and while looking around found this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-...0754R8V6B/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Most rollators have a seat height of 20 inches, this one has a seat height of 24 inches. Dont know if this would help.

Last edited:
I can say from my experience in Disneyland that Genie+ was actually very helpful. There are double the rides because less parks and more hours the parks tend to be open. On the Disneyland board they have a great resource for figuring out what rides to ride to max #of rides. It may be helpful in combo with Das to reduce the amount of walking.

The call was not successful, but it wasn’t a complete waste. We were able to report what the other cast member said and the woman did give us advice (and had some compassion unlike the first person I talked to).

She said that since I have tried other mobility decides and they don’t work that my best bet would to go to guest relations in the park and talk to someone there. That if the first person couldn’t figure something out that I should ask to speak to someone else (aka manager). She also gave me the guest relation locations that aren’t City Hall because that can be a longer line and lines are bad for me.

Here’s hoping it works! Thank you all for you advice - I’ll definitely be using it.
I am stunned that you have been denied. I have a similar issue, but mine is a lower back problem that causes neuropathy and pain in my legs when my muscles seize up with prolonged standing or sitting. Like you walking and stretching are a life saver and allow me to remain in the parks for longer.
I have been able to get a DAS in both Disneyland and Disney World with this condition, and also approved recently at Universal. I just can't understand why you are being continually denied when we seem to have similar problems. My problem is not mobility, so a chair doesn't help. My problem is pain management. And like you, wheel chairs are the absolute worst for me because sitting at that upright angle causes stress on my spine in just the wrong place.
I wonder if it's the way you are explaining it? I actually have to go into detail on my condition so they understand. I know legally I don't have to do that, but without doing that, they do not understand my problems and tend to disregard what I am saying and requiring.

Last edited:
There are a lot of things that are called "wheelchairs." Just because one particular wheelchair was uncomfortable (especially a WDW rental!), does not mean you can't get a wheelchair that works for you. Go to a local mobility shop and try some things.

I see you plan to sit on a high seat while not in line. That will be very difficult at WDW, maybe impossible. The little seating I can think of is pretty low. WDW has removed most of the benches and such.

Just thinking of this from the view of the cast member, if you can't sit and you can't stand, I'm not sure what you are going to do at WDW. The rides are seated anyway.

There are a lot of things that are called "wheelchairs." Just because one particular wheelchair was uncomfortable (especially a WDW rental!), does not mean you can't get a wheelchair that works for you. Go to a local mobility shop and try some things.

I see you plan to sit on a high seat while not in line. That will be very difficult at WDW, maybe impossible. The little seating I can think of is pretty low. WDW has removed most of the benches and such.

Just thinking of this from the view of the cast member, if you can't sit and you can't stand, I'm not sure what you are going to do at WDW. The rides are seated anyway.
As someone who also has similar issues, I suspect the original posters issues aren't that they can't sit or stand at all, it is prolonged standing and siting (20 to 30 minutes and longer) and especially sitting it a manner that is causing muscular or neural pain. In my case, my disability is pain management. I know for me, the thing that allows me to have a full day at Disney and limiting my pain is being able to change position frequently and walk and stretch. I think the original poster is in a similar position. So wheelchairs don't really help.

I think there may be confusion and misunderstanding on both sides of the issue.

"Change positions frequently" - to me, that sounds like "I can stand for 5 minutes, then I can sit for 5 minutes, then I can stretch for 5 minutes, then I can walk for 10 minutes..." When my sciatica is acting up that is exactly how I feel. And at those times I change positions frequently, about every 5-10 minutes, right in front of my desk while trying to work.

The recommendation of a mobility device is not a suggestion to sit all day or even all through the queue. A wheelchair or rollator can be pushed empty, providing a place to sit when needed and allows one to stand when needed. Along with leaving a little space in the queue for pacing or stretching, a mobility device helps accomplish A LOT of "changing positions."

If changing positions from standing to sitting to standing again does not help your particular needs, you may have to give more explanation around that. This does seem to be an issue that depends on the CM whether DAS is granted or not. But having a back-up plan is a good idea in case of getting denied -- or even to help yourself when a LL queue runs much longer than expected.

It sounds like your issue with the rental wheelchair was the angle of it. That's like saying your airplane seat was uncomfortable, so all seats much be uncomfortable. A rental wheelchair is not the only choice.

I think a local mobility shop might have a lot more options that you haven't tried or maybe even know about. It isn't like you have to be in the chair all day. But it's true that pushing a chair (or rollator) around means you always have a chair, so you can move positions and do have somewhere to sit down.

Whether or not you get DAS, I hope you find a way to be more comfortable in the lines. Even the LL can involve waiting and standing around.

I am stunned that you have been denied. I have a similar issue, but mine is a lower back problem that causes neuropathy and pain in my legs when my muscles seize up with prolonged standing or sitting. Like you walking and stretching are a life saver and allow me to remain in the parks for longer.
I have been able to get a DAS in both Disneyland and Disney World with this condition, and also approved recently at Universal. I just can't understand why you are being continually denied when we seem to have similar problems. My problem is not mobility, so a chair doesn't help. My problem is pain management. And like you, wheel chairs are the absolute worst for me because sitting at that upright angle causes stress on my spine in just the wrong place.
I wonder if it's the way you are explaining it? I actually have to go into detail on my condition so they understand. I know legally I don't have to do that, but without doing that, they do not understand my problems and tend to disregard what I am saying and requiring.
There is a legal restriction on you having to disclose your actual disability, but there is no legal restriction on you explaining why you need an accommodation. Otherwise, anyone could walk in and say "I need a DAS" and Disney would have to provide one.

As someone who also has similar issues, I suspect the original posters issues aren't that they can't sit or stand at all, it is prolonged standing and siting (20 to 30 minutes and longer) and especially sitting it a manner that is causing muscular or neural pain. In my case, my disability is pain management. I know for me, the thing that allows me to have a full day at Disney and limiting my pain is being able to change position frequently and walk and stretch. I think the original poster is in a similar position. So wheelchairs don't really help.
I have something similar, but it is caused by stress and anxiety, and I have been given the DAS. I've been able to stretch and change position in queues for the physical issues that arise from stress/anxiety since I've found the queues are never at a complete standstill for very long (except in the little rooms for FOP) and I keep some space open to move about. I agree that sitting can be the absolute worst - so for dining I bring a specialized cushion. I also use First Aid for longer stretching, and to do my PT/relaxation exercises that reduce the anxiety and stress that causes the issues. That's when I use DAS - get a return time, go to First Aid and decompress (literally!)

It sounds like your issue with the rental wheelchair was the angle of it. That's like saying your airplane seat was uncomfortable, so all seats much be uncomfortable. A rental wheelchair is not the only choice.

I think a local mobility shop might have a lot more options that you haven't tried or maybe even know about. It isn't like you have to be in the chair all day. But it's true that pushing a chair (or rollator) around means you always have a chair, so you can move positions and do have somewhere to sit down.

Whether or not you get DAS, I hope you find a way to be more comfortable in the lines. Even the LL can involve waiting and standing around.
To kind of piggy back in this…have you tried a motorized wheelchair? I can change the angle of the back really easily. Some of them can telescope up and down. But mine feels a lot like sitting in a car to me, and I can adjust the back in a lot of the same ways.
And I also agree with Lanejudy. You don’t have to/aren’t expected to spend the entire day in the chair. When I need to, I park the chair and walk around. Usually, if I am riding rides often enough, just getting on and off rides and in and out of the chair keeps me from getting stiff. Sometimes I let my husband or kids drive the wheelchair while I walk. I also make sure my footplate is correctly adjusted. I’m short and if my feet dangle at all, even just my heels up, blood will pool and my ankles will swell up.

I appreciate all the comments, but when I say the wheelchairs don’t work, I mean they don’t work for my condition. I’ve tried all different kinds of chairs - different heights, motorized or not - and cannot use any of them without them causing more pain.

It’s a chronic pain issue and my PT and I have been trying all kinds of chairs and rollators and aides other than my canes (which we had to specially order). And even in combination, the other aides make sure things worse.

I know everyone is trying to be helpful, but I’d appreciate if you would just believe me on this one.

This is similar to what the issue is and yes, the disability is pain management. And that’s what we explained, but it seems to all depend on the cast member you talk to, which is super frustrating. I think we may try one more DAS call and hope we get someone who actually listens.

It’s hard having a ridiculously rare disability. I am the first person all of my doctors have seen with it, so I understand Disney not getting it. I just wish one of my doctors could write a letter or get on the phone. They all said they would be happy to, but Disney doesn’t accept that.

I’m just trying to stay positive and look for the bright sides!

I appreciate all the comments, but when I say the wheelchairs don’t work, I mean they don’t work for my condition. I’ve tried all different kinds of chairs - different heights, motorized or not - and cannot use any of them without them causing more pain.

It’s a chronic pain issue and my PT and I have been trying all kinds of chairs and rollators and aides other than my canes (which we had to specially order). And even in combination, the other aides make sure things worse.

I know everyone is trying to be helpful, but I’d appreciate if you would just believe me on this one.
even with the DAS you can be in a line of 20 minutes as you are in line with the Genie people and you do not get to go to front of line. that is even long enough of a wait to cause me some pain

Can’t you continuously change positions while standing in line?

Can’t you continuously change positions while standing in line?
Not enough, necessarily. Even pacing is a different kind of movement than being able to walk freely. Your stride is different, your muscles move differently, and there's extra stress on your legs and ankles from having to turn 180 degrees every 30 seconds. And there's a huge difference between 20 minutes and 90 minutes when you're trying to keep moving in a restricted space. When we have to wait for the bus at the end of the day, my daughter usually lays flat on the ground because it's the best way to relieve stress on her body and reduce pain. That's not viable in an attraction queue.

Not enough, necessarily. Even pacing is a different kind of movement than being able to walk freely. Your stride is different, your muscles move differently, and there's extra stress on your legs and ankles from having to turn 180 degrees every 30 seconds. And there's a huge difference between 20 minutes and 90 minutes when you're trying to keep moving in a restricted space. When we have to wait for the bus at the end of the day, my daughter usually lays flat on the ground because it's the best way to relieve stress on her body and reduce pain. That's not viable in an attraction queue.
Yes to all of this. It’s a big difference. And the point is that 20-30 minutes is a lot less than 60-90.

With chronic pain, I am literally always in pain at least a 5/10. I will hurt no matter what. DAS would let me be in more pain for less time. Which is what I’ve tried to explain to them several times now.

I have chronic pain in my hips and all the muscles around them. My issue is the actual standing in line. I tried to register for DAS since being out side of lines where I can stretch and move would really help, but the person said I don’t qualify and said I could rent a wheelchair (which costs extra, but that’s beside the point).

But last time we were in Disney World, we found out that sitting in a wheelchair was worse than standing. The angle my legs were at was excruciating for the muscles that hurt the most and every bump on the ground set waves of pain through my lower body. And my pain is worse than it was back then.

The other option she gave was paying for Genie+. I know it doesn’t cover all the rides and you can’t do that much in a day with it. We are in Disneyland for two days and DCA for one and we most likely will never be coming back.

Is there anything I can do? Anyone else I can talk to? At this point, it seems like my only option is the be at an 8/10 in pain the whole time I am there. I am so frustrated that I’m not the right kind of disabled to get help from Disney.
I would ask at the parks and see what they say. I heard it is easer at the parks

Yes to all of this. It’s a big difference. And the point is that 20-30 minutes is a lot less than 60-90.

With chronic pain, I am literally always in pain at least a 5/10. I will hurt no matter what. DAS would let me be in more pain for less time. Which is what I’ve tried to explain to them several times now.
I can absolutely relate to this. This is so similar to my issue. And pain doesn't necessarily show in how I walk and move. To someone on the outside, I look perfectly normal, but on the inside I am dealing with pain all the time, sometimes just a little, sometimes a lot. It also makes it harder, because people think I am just trying to use DAS to skip lines.
I can do a 20 minute wait if I can get off the ride and then walk around and stretch out the muscles that are squeezing on my nerves. But when it gets up to 30 minutes, it gets a lot harder and the pain really begins to go up.
DAS allows me to enjoy the parks longer and with less pain.

Last edited:
I can absolutely relate to this. This is so similar to my issue. And pain doesn't necessarily show in how I walk and move. To someone on the outside, I look perfectly normal, but on the inside I am dealing with pain all the time, sometimes just a little, sometimes a lot. It also makes it harder, because people think I am just trying to use DAS to skip lines.
I can do a 20 minute wait if I can get off the ride and then walk around and stretch out the muscles that are squeezing on my nerves. But when it gets up to 30 minutes, it gets a lot harder and the pain really begins to go up.
DAS allows me to enjoy the parks longer and with less pain.

I would be happy to relay how I explain it to the DAS folks if you want to dm me.
be careful with explaining what you say to others as against the rules

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter