Disneyland DAS vs ECV Questions

Pollito916

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone, we are going to Disneyland next month with my mom, who is almost 70 and has a few health issues. We're not sure how much walking she will be able to handle in a day, so we are considering renting a wheelchair or ECV for her, even though she doesn't need either at home. She also hasn't walked more than half a mile in a day lately and has asthma and has knees.

My questions are:
1. Do the wheelchairs and ECVs at Disneyland run out early? So if she starts walking and decides it is too much, would it be difficult to find one?
2. If we rent one from an external place and have it delivered to the hotel, how do we get it to the parks? We were planning on driving to the Toy Story parking, but I'm not sure how I could get an ECV in the back of my car (Kia Telluride).
3. If we do get a wheelchair or ECV, is it correct that we don't also need the DAS? It looks like the DL website says you only need one or the other and the wheelchair alone would not qualify someone for DAS.

Thanks for any help!

1. Cannot answer as my sister took her EVC, but we rented a wheelchair near DLR entrance for a couple days at the convention center. The place was One Stop Mobility. We were at the Hilton so I walked down to get the wheelchair and just pushed it back when done with the convention.

2. Most EVCs breakdown and should fit your vehicle. Heck, I used to put my sister’s first EVC in the trunk of a Sonata. That thing was 4 pieces. The key is the size of EVC rented and if someone can lift the pieces in and out and put it together. With the SUV and Minivans, I tend to just take the seat and batteries off and then fold the handle down. Put the front wheels on the lip of the trunk and then pick up the back and push to get it up and in.

Now, I do not know if anywhere in the Anaheim area rents them out, but there are some EVCs that are basically 1-2 pieces and weigh 50-70 lbs. We have 2 different versions in my family of these that were bought. My cousin had some health Issa few years ago and found a rental company in Orlando that had a version. It was about 50 lbs.

3. If mobility is the only issue, they may not even issue a DAS even without a mobility device and recommend you use that.

Now, even though I just gave an unfavorable opinion on the transport chairs on another thread for WDW, I could actually see one working a bit easier in DLR, especially with someone that walk for a bit. Although there are a few areas at the DLR that are graded or uneven, there are fewer that WDW overall. Plus a person with some mobility can get up and push the transport chair similar to a rollator at times.

1. Cannot answer as my sister took her EVC, but we rented a wheelchair near DLR entrance for a couple days at the convention center. The place was One Stop Mobility. We were at the Hilton so I walked down to get the wheelchair and just pushed it back when done with the convention.

2. Most EVCs breakdown and should fit your vehicle. Heck, I used to put my sister’s first EVC in the trunk of a Sonata. That thing was 4 pieces. The key is the size of EVC rented and if someone can lift the pieces in and out and put it together. With the SUV and Minivans, I tend to just take the seat and batteries off and then fold the handle down. Put the front wheels on the lip of the trunk and then pick up the back and push to get it up and in.

Now, I do not know if anywhere in the Anaheim area rents them out, but there are some EVCs that are basically 1-2 pieces and weigh 50-70 lbs. We have 2 different versions in my family of these that were bought. My cousin had some health Issa few years ago and found a rental company in Orlando that had a version. It was about 50 lbs.

3. If mobility is the only issue, they may not even issue a DAS even without a mobility device and recommend you use that.

Now, even though I just gave an unfavorable opinion on the transport chairs on another thread for WDW, I could actually see one working a bit easier in DLR, especially with someone that walk for a bit. Although there are a few areas at the DLR that are graded or uneven, there are fewer that WDW overall. Plus a person with some mobility can get up and push the transport chair similar to a rollator at times.
Thanks for the helpful response!

Hi everyone, we are going to Disneyland next month with my mom, who is almost 70 and has a few health issues. We're not sure how much walking she will be able to handle in a day, so we are considering renting a wheelchair or ECV for her, even though she doesn't need either at home. She also hasn't walked more than half a mile in a day lately and has asthma and has knees.

My questions are:
1. Do the wheelchairs and ECVs at Disneyland run out early? So if she starts walking and decides it is too much, would it be difficult to find one?
2. If we rent one from an external place and have it delivered to the hotel, how do we get it to the parks? We were planning on driving to the Toy Story parking, but I'm not sure how I could get an ECV in the back of my car (Kia Telluride).
3. If we do get a wheelchair or ECV, is it correct that we don't also need the DAS? It looks like the DL website says you only need one or the other and the wheelchair alone would not qualify someone for DAS.

Thanks for any help!

For question 1 - yes things can run out. Especially the ECVs. I have seen them give a person who wanted an ECV a wheelchair and tell them they are X on the waiting list for an ECV. That list can get very long. I do not think they run out of wheelchairs in the same way. We used to rent a wheelchair at the park, but finally bought our own for outings like Disneyland. You always rent the wheelchair at the park and she can push it when she wants to walk or ride while being pushed when she needs a rest. My mom will push it for periods of time when she wants or needs to walk a bit.

One other thing to possibly consider for your mother is a rollator. Those are the walkers with a seat. So she can push it and then in the lines sit on the seat to rest while waiting in the lines. We got ours on Amazon and my Mom uses it for her day to day outings like the store or going out to a restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter