Disneyland Dining with a Picky Eater

Jazzabelle508

DIS Veteran
So I am potentially going on a Trip to the West Coast this June. We will most definitely be spending a few days at Disneyland which is incredibly exciting. We went one other time back in 2012 with this travelling group and for the most part we had tons of fun. However we hit kind of a snag when it came time to eating. One of the members of our traveling party is somewhat of a picky eater and we had a hard time finding places that had food they liked as well as having menu options that weren't too bland for the rest of us. I was just wondering if anyone else has travelled to Disneyland with Picky eaters and what they did for dining. Are there a fair amount of places that have normal menu items as well as the esoteric stuff? Also we are trying to keep it to just counter service but are open to table service suggestions as well.

In my opinion if you are doing counter service you all might as well get food from different counter service places or at least that one picky person. But if the person is that picky they could always just pack a lunch. With my 4 year old who is super picky I just pack him a sandwhich and snacks but he's my son and I am responsible for making him eat. If you are talking about an adult, I had a roommate who was super picky, it got to the point where we weren't going to continuously cater to him and if he didn't like what we were eating then he was on his own to get food, so if this is an adult you are talking about then they should be able to go somewhere else and pick up something to eat and then join up with you guys to actually eat it (get it to go). That is if there is nothing that they want from the place everyone else is eating at.
There are places with more simple stuff such as hot dogs and pizza (two commmon things to eat) and then there are other places with more unique foods. It really just depends on how picky were talking although Disney is good with accommadating.

So I am potentially going on a Trip to the West Coast this June. We will most definitely be spending a few days at Disneyland which is incredibly exciting. We went one other time back in 2012 with this travelling group and for the most part we had tons of fun. However we hit kind of a snag when it came time to eating. One of the members of our traveling party is somewhat of a picky eater and we had a hard time finding places that had food they liked as well as having menu options that weren't too bland for the rest of us. I was just wondering if anyone else has travelled to Disneyland with Picky eaters and what they did for dining. Are there a fair amount of places that have normal menu items as well as the esoteric stuff? Also we are trying to keep it to just counter service but are open to table service suggestions as well.

If this person is an adult, they can grab food from wherever looks good and then join you at any CS place. I guess how picky is the question.

If you're planning on sticking to counter service anyway, I would just take a look at a map and take note of areas that have a lot of options close together, so everyone can get what they want and still be near by. Also, the picky eater might do well to go heavy on snacking in case they end up skipping a meal. Some of the snacks are pretty filling, like the pretzels, and that way they can just grab what they want when they see it and not worry about when everyone else is eating. In fact if they're not hungry when everyone else eats, you can send them for FP. Another option might be to order off the kids' menu - might need to order two items if this is an adult, but I think there's always something bland on the kids' menu.

I've never really gone in a big group and I see how it could get out of hand without specific meal times, but when we go we often end up eating at different times because we each get what we feel like or are in the area of when we're hungry. It's not a big deal unless there are long lines for food.

I agree, how picky is picky?

And like PP mentioned, my solution would likely be to get food from different places and eat together. the picky person can look at menus ahead of time to figure out the best options so you are not scrambling to figure out where he or she can eat when you're there

In DCA, Paradise Garden Grill and Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta share a dining area, and the Corn Dog Castle is right nearby. It's easy for people to get food from all three places and still sit together. I love the Greek-inspired dishes at Paradise Garden Grill, but it's nice to know I can get my daughter spaghetti from Boardwalk Pizza. There's also the wharf area in DCA that has 3 (?) different places with a shared seating area.

Whitewater Snacks in GCH has a pretty good variety of food to choose from that is tasty and reasonably priced. In DTD, Tortilla Joes has good food that have hot dogs on the menu (for kids but never hurts to ask if it is an adult).

I'm am an extremely picky adult and I never really had a problem with the counter service restaurants. A lot of restaurants while I was there let me order off of the kids menu... I actually preferred this because they had smaller portions and healthier options. Hungry Bear in critter country was a favorite stop of mine. I'd get the nuggets and they'd come with fries and apple slices... And then I always brought water bottles, carrot sticks and protein bars. I didn't ever feel tired from eating greasy food because I had a nice balance, and I was able to cater to my unfortunate case of picky eater.

You said you're really not looking for table service restaurants like Ariel's grotto, so depending on how picky they are there are a lot of different options. If you stop at a restaurant they could always run to a different one get their meal and bring it back to where the main group is. By the time the whole group has ordered and sat down they should be back to join you.

Village Haus was really the only counter service I didn't like the menu... Even the kids menu didn't really offer much for me. It was pretty much burger, pizza or turkey samdwhich... And I'm not big on turkey and I don't eat beef at all. So all that left me was pizza.

Also like others said above some of the snack options can be meals, the pretzel with cheese dip was always a good lunch option for me. It was big enough to last as a lunch ( again I always brought water, carrot sticks/fruit, and granola or protein bars)...

If your group does want to eat at a nicer restaurant like blue bayou just ask the picky eater if they'd be fine sitting it out... As long as they're old enough to be alone and wouldn't mind it they can always run off with $20 and their cellphone and meet you after. They'd be able to eat something they'd like and maybe squeeze in a ride or two. I have a big family and they understand and know how to work with me... so that'd be something we'd do, I'd go off and do my own thing and they could have their meal and then we'd meet up after. I would t feel excluded because we literally will spend the whole trip together anyways, but just make sure your picky eater is as independent and free spirited as I am, make sure they won't feel like the black sheep being away from the group.

I'm am an extremely picky adult and I never really had a problem with the counter service restaurants. A lot of restaurants while I was there let me order off of the kids menu... I actually preferred this because they had smaller portions and healthier options. Hungry Bear in critter country was a favorite stop of mine. I'd get the nuggets and they'd come with fries and apple slices... And then I always brought water bottles, carrot sticks and protein bars. I didn't ever feel tired from eating greasy food because I had a nice balance, and I was able to cater to my unfortunate case of picky eater.

You said you're really not looking for table service restaurants like Ariel's grotto, so depending on how picky they are there are a lot of different options. If you stop at a restaurant they could always run to a different one get their meal and bring it back to where the main group is. By the time the whole group has ordered and sat down they should be back to join you.

Village Haus was really the only counter service I didn't like the menu... Even the kids menu didn't really offer much for me. It was pretty much burger, pizza or turkey samdwhich... And I'm not big on turkey and I don't eat beef at all. So all that left me was pizza.

Also like others said above some of the snack options can be meals, the pretzel with cheese dip was always a good lunch option for me. It was big enough to last as a lunch ( again I always brought water, carrot sticks/fruit, and granola or protein bars)...

If your group does want to eat at a nicer restaurant like blue bayou just ask the picky eater if they'd be fine sitting it out... As long as they're old enough to be alone and wouldn't mind it they can always run off with $20 and their cellphone and meet you after. They'd be able to eat something they'd like and maybe squeeze in a ride or two. I have a big family and they understand and know how to work with me... so that'd be something we'd do, I'd go off and do my own thing and they could have their meal and then we'd meet up after. I would t feel excluded because we literally will spend the whole trip together anyways, but just make sure your picky eater is as independent and free spirited as I am, make sure they won't feel like the black sheep being away from the group.
Is the steak or filet at blue bayou plain and something a picky eater would like?

my son (11) has an eating disorder.. so picky eater to the extreme. we take his food with us. and study the menu for food he will eat.. if your picky eater is an otherwise healthy both physically and cognitively adult, then sorry they are on their own.. and you guys shouldnt be held hostage to their eating or lack thereof habits.. .
tell them to go onto the Disney website and look at all the eating and food options, this way they will have an idea before you leave.
if its a child,. then trying to accommodate is a bit harder.. but even so can be managed..

hope you all have a great trip

Another option is if the picky eater does want to join the group at a place like Blue Bayou for the atmosphere, they could eat their own meal or large snack before you go, and just have dessert and drinks. I don't think anyone would make a fuss about a single person on the reservation not ordering a full meal unless it's a dining package for WOC or PTN, or a buffet-style location.

Another option is if the picky eater does want to join the group at a place like Blue Bayou for the atmosphere, they could eat their own meal or large snack before you go, and just have dessert and drinks. I don't think anyone would make a fuss about a single person on the reservation not ordering a full meal unless it's a dining package for WOC or PTN, or a buffet-style location.
That is actually something I've almost done! I really want to eat at blue bayou but did not like anything but the dessert. I didn't end up going during my trip cause I went solo it didn't feel it'd be right to take up a whole table just to soak up the atmosphere. I made up for it by riding pirates as often as I could. :-)

Is the steak or filet at blue bayou plain and something a picky eater would like?
It again just depends... I don't eat seafood or beef... So for me personally it wouldn't work for me. There's really nothing on the blue bayou menu I personally would like... Even on the kids menu.

The only thing I might be open to is the citrus chicken but it comes with things on it like sun dried tomato I don't think Id like so I wouldnt know until I had it in front of me.

Touring plans offers the menus of every Disney restaurant on their site, it may require a subscription though... I use that to help me plan. It's saved me so many times from making reservations at places I wouldn't eat. (Almost reserved ariel's grotto for two days of my last trip)

Like the user above me suggested you might have them eat before and then just have them order a dessert or drink. As long as they're on your reservation I don't see why Disney would object. That way they don't miss out on the time together but they also don't go hungry.

I know I personally would hate to spend $30 on a meal I may or may not like.

They serve mint juleps which are amazing and if I'm correct they may have beignets... Which I also recommend. :-)

The website allears.net had all of the Disneyland menus and prices listed and you don't need a subscription to view them.

I didn't end up going during my trip cause I went solo it didn't feel it'd be right to take up a whole table just to soak up the atmosphere.

You have the right to be there. And you'll likely be there for half or a third of the time as a family ordering full meals, so they'll turn over the table quicker.

There's really nothing on the blue bayou menu I personally would like... Even on the kids menu.

I've heard they have a pasta primavera for those who don't eat the meat on the menu AND don't like mushrooms.

I'm picky AND gluten free and usually I can find something at TS that I like and is 'safe'. For CS, we'll often choose to eat at different places. We split up to get our food and meet to eat it.

You have the right to be there. And you'll likely be there for half or a third of the time as a family ordering full meals, so they'll turn over the table quicker.

I've heard they have a pasta primavera for those who don't eat the meat on the menu AND don't like mushrooms.

Y'all are going to hate me if I keep replying with things I don't like. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter