Disneyland first timer report

Travel60

DIS Veteran
As east coasters and WDW veterans, we were happy for opportunity to visit Disneyland Oct 29/30 while in CA for another reason. Thanks to these boards, we were aware of the Halloween party and planned to be at Adventure park that day...many thanks! We stayed at Grand Californian and we're thrilled to walk straight from hotel to Adventure Park and Downtown Disney. No busses, trams, cars needed!

We were warned that the parks would likely be crazy. Maybe because it was mid-week but, there were no horrible crowds. (If this was someone's idea of crazy, they should NEVER visit WDW. I've been in crowds there where I literally could not move. One particularly bad day at Animal Kingdom I just wanted to close my eyes and scream. Have not been back.)

Also, people seemed more polite...maybe many were locals who come a lot and didn't feel the need to see all/do all and drag tired, crying kids around. Lines were orderly, people looked relaxed, etc. Kids having fun.

The parks are definitely smaller, which we knew. We did Adventure Park in about half a day and Downtown that night. Then DL the next day. Plenty of time.

Would not travel from east coast to come but would visit again if out here.

As east coasters and WDW veterans, we were happy for opportunity to visit Disneyland Oct 29/30 while in CA for another reason. Thanks to these boards, we were aware of the Halloween party and planned to be at Adventure park that day...many thanks! We stayed at Grand Californian and we're thrilled to walk straight from hotel to Adventure Park and Downtown Disney. No busses, trams, cars needed!

We were warned that the parks would likely be crazy. Maybe because it was mid-week but, there were no horrible crowds. (If this was someone's idea of crazy, they should NEVER visit WDW. I've been in crowds there where I literally could not move. One particularly bad day at Animal Kingdom I just wanted to close my eyes and scream. Have not been back.)

Also, people seemed more polite...maybe many were locals who come a lot and didn't feel the need to see all/do all and drag tired, crying kids around. Lines were orderly, people looked relaxed, etc. Kids having fun.

The parks are definitely smaller, which we knew. We did Adventure Park in about half a day and Downtown that night. Then DL the next day. Plenty of time.

Would not travel from east coast to come but would visit again if out here.
I think Disney wasn’t expecting as bad of crowds yesterday because park hours were shorter then all of October. Usually party days aren’t that busy until it gets to be later on in the day. It’s the non party days that can be a bit crazy.

to Adventure Park and Downtown Disney. No busses, trams, cars needed!

thank you for writing....I think this is the first or seldom posted observation from a WDW about the concern of not needing ground transportation.

And your observation about locals was also interesting. The locals have another title and are often subject to ridicule on other Disneyland sites. so very encouraging to see you take notice that a segment of the visitors where indeed well behaved.

You observed that people look relaxed....do you think that any thing to do with the maxpass system?

thank you for writing....I think this is the first or seldom posted observation from a WDW about the concern of not needing ground transportation.

And your observation about locals was also interesting. The locals have another title and are often subject to ridicule on other Disneyland sites. so very encouraging to see you take notice that a segment of the visitors where indeed well behaved.

You observed that people look relaxed....do you think that any thing to do with the maxpass system?

I don't know enough about MaxPass to reply....seemed very expensive to need $10/pp....extra $40 per day for family of four. But, maybe.

I forgot to mention that we did the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. Excellent! Highly recommend!

I don't know enough about MaxPass to reply....seemed very expensive to need $10/pp....extra $40 per day for family of four. But, maybe.

I forgot to mention that we did the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. Excellent! Highly recommend!
did u visit walt's apartment?

We are Disneyland vets who just returned from our second WDW trip last week and I have to say I completely agree with you in regards to guests being more polite at Disneyland.

During both of our WDW trips, we’ve noticed a lot more stressed out and seemingly unhappy people compared to when we visit Disneyland. We attributed the difference to the high temperatures and humidity in Florida, but I think you’re right that there is a more laid back culture in Disneyland where there are many locals visiting each day.

As east coasters and WDW veterans, we were happy for opportunity to visit Disneyland Oct 29/30 while in CA for another reason. Thanks to these boards, we were aware of the Halloween party and planned to be at Adventure park that day...many thanks! We stayed at Grand Californian and we're thrilled to walk straight from hotel to Adventure Park and Downtown Disney. No busses, trams, cars needed...

May I ask where you stayed? And your thoughts?

As east coasters and WDW veterans, we were happy for opportunity to visit Disneyland Oct 29/30 while in CA for another reason. Thanks to these boards, we were aware of the Halloween party and planned to be at Adventure park that day...many thanks! We stayed at Grand Californian and we're thrilled to walk straight from hotel to Adventure Park and Downtown Disney

May I ask where you stayed? And your thoughts?
They stayed at the Grand Californian.

Disneyland can get as bad as crowds as WDW quite often. Many nights especially following Fantasmic the entire area from Frontierland thru the hub and down Main Street was wall to wall people inching along. You literally could not move. You just inched as part of a huge crowd. Really depends on when you visit. Same as WDW where we generally go in the off season. I've never seen massive crowds at WDW but then, I don't go during the busy times!

While DLR is two parks vs four at WDW, Disney packs a lot into those two parks. There's close to 75% of the attractions packed into two parks that WDW has in four. Disneyland park itself itself has far more attractions than the Magic Kingdom. I also feel the attention to detail is far greater at Disneyland than WDW especially in the buildings in Fantasyland.

For us the vacation experience between the two is vastly different. At WDW we spend more time there but not because of more attractions. At WDW it's easier to slow down at relax. We enjoy resort hopping, enjoying all the dining at WDW that DLR doesn't have etc. When I want to just have fun enjoying attractions I head to DLR. It's more of a locals park and at times that's what I'm after!

Disneyland can get as bad as crowds as WDW quite often. Many nights especially following Fantasmic the entire area from Frontierland thru the hub and down Main Street was wall to wall people inching along. You literally could not move. You just inched as part of a huge crowd. Really depends on when you visit. Same as WDW where we generally go in the off season. I've never seen massive crowds at WDW but then, I don't go during the busy times!
Just so you can feel it at WDW, this area was similar to the Adventureland (not Frontierland) to Main ST slow crawl. It took us about 30 mins to get thru this small area.

26112279_10157043657405299_890585656566454732_n.jpg

Just so you can feel it at WDW, this area was similar to the Adventureland (not Frontierland) to Main ST slow crawl. It took us about 30 mins to get thru this small area.

Thats the way Disneyland is during most summer nights immediately after Fantasmic and fireworks. Everyone is heading out of the area towards the hub and Main Street. We go the opposite route and head towards Haunted Mansion or Splash Mountain. Usually by the time we're done with those the crowd mass is lower.

Thats the way Disneyland is during most summer nights immediately after Fantasmic and fireworks. Everyone is heading out of the area towards the hub and Main Street. We go the opposite route and head towards Haunted Mansion or Splash Mountain. Usually by the time we're done with those the crowd mass is lower.
Yep, except it honestly moves a little better than it did at Epcot! Personally, we just tend to hang out for 10 mins and the crowd clears up!

Huh? I am pretty sure that DLR has more attractions than WDW.
Yup. We have as many attractions in both our parks as there are in all 4 WDW parks. Although numbers have fluxed since bugs land closed with its 5 attractions.

Yup. We have as many attractions in both our parks as there are in all 4 WDW parks. Although numbers have fluxed since bugs land closed with its 5 attractions.
True, but WDW continually shutters attractions and doesn’t replace them, whereas at least Bugs Land was closed so that new attractions could go in!

Planning to go to Disneyland for a quick trip in June. We've been to WDW multiple times. Recommendations to get the most out of Disneyland in a day???

Planning to go to Disneyland for a quick trip in June. We've been to WDW multiple times. Recommendations to get the most out of Disneyland in a day???
Be there before rope drop. Those first few hours are so valuable. Also I would avoid going on a day with emh if you can unless you have a room onsite or are going for more than one day. Just a heads up SWGE is likely going to open sometime in the last two weeks of June so if you don’t want to be in the unknown crazy crowds that will come with that you are better off going at the beginning of June.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter