• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland food....went down the tubes!!!

ScooterL said:
I would recommend Cafe Orleans rather then the Blue Bayou - similar menu, but cheaper. (And you can make a PS there, too.) You don't get the "ambience" of eating outside on a dark bayou night, at Cafe Orleans, though...but been there, done that, and it's really not THAT special in my opinion.

I'd avoid Rainforest Cafe - too noisy and crowded, and besides, you can find them other places than Disneyland. Storyteller's Cafe at the GC is good. If you like New Orleans type food you might want to check out Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney.

I totally agree with you on CO..I think everybody should try the Monte Cristo and before now BB was the only place you could get it...however, I have to disagree about RFC...I really like that place...yes it is crowded and noisy but the whole ambience makes it easy to deal with...the food is really good and portions large...if your into breakfast echo queen, I highly recommend the Minnie and Friends breakfast at Plaza Inn and/or Carnation Cafe...they are both really good :goodvibes

I thought Jazz Kitchen was much louder then Rain forest, but love the food at both. The music is very loud at Jazz Kitchen.

I totally agree with ScooterL & Disneegrl4eva - the food at New Orleans Square and the Plaza Inn (charcter breakfast) were the two best meals we had there during our recent Sept trip and it's really hard to please 5 adults and a 5 year old. The worst meal was hands down the Pizza Port by Space Mountain. I had the spagetti and meatballs. I manage about 3 bites and couldn't handle anymore. Goofy's kitchen was okay for a dinner buffet and the food was very good, but not as good as the Plaza Inn.

I think it depends on the person, his/her taste and whatnot. I know I heard bad thinks about Tonys town square in WDW but I ate there last October for Halloween and bot me aand my son liked the food, the staff and just the whole restuant in generel, I would go back :cool1:
PS I always remember when I get my food, it isn't my home cooking that I love

is this where they do the Birthday Celebrations outside....??

If so we had lunch there last week and it was delicious. I had the fried chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans, kids had a kids meal of fried chicken and the same stuff just smaller portions and one had mac and cheese and both came with fruit too. We ordered a piece of apple pie with carmel on it and all of us shared it. The food was great and I think for the three of us (1 A & 2 K) my total with dessert was just over 30.00. I do have an AP so there was a small discount like 10% but not much. Free drink refills to was great.

We enjoyed this place and having never eaten there before will now for sure be back. We love Rancho Z near BTMRR and have never had a bad meal there either. Carnation Cafe is good to but I do find the portions a bit smaller there.

Disney Hot Mama said:
is this where they do the Birthday Celebrations outside....??

If so we had lunch there last week and it was delicious. I had the fried chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans, kids had a kids meal of fried chicken and the same stuff just smaller portions and one had mac and cheese and both came with fruit too. We ordered a piece of apple pie with carmel on it and all of us shared it. The food was great and I think for the three of us (1 A & 2 K) my total with dessert was just over 30.00. I do have an AP so there was a small discount like 10% but not much. Free drink refills to was great.

Yes, that is the Plaza Inn. Its on Main Street, right where you enter into Tomorrowland. And you are right, its got good fried chicken and huge portions!

Pizza Port at DL and Ariels Grotto both have good food at reasonable prices. I've always been happy. I like the fish and chips and the Grotto while every dish at Pizza Port has been good.

When it comes to burgers its hit and miss at either DLR or WDW.

I didn't like the food in Mexico in the World Showcase(did sit down and counter), the Tempura in Japan was so so, while I've enjoyed all the restuarants on the Boardwalk. Breakfast buffets at Cindi's was a disappointment, while the breakfast at Beach Club was good.

One trip I had a great steak at ESPN, then went 3 days later and had a below average steak. Sadly it happens.

I've heard conflicting reports on Blue Bayou. It was my favorite sit down, but I haven't dined there since the menu change. Its been hit and miss with reviews as well.

I appreciate all the comments agree or disagree. But one thing seems to be sure, we all agree to some extent that the food has really gone down the tubes. I was just so upset about it, we go to disneyland 2 times a year, and I know the food is a pretty penny but at least it used to be worth it. My parents are spending the rest of the week there with our DS7, and we left Dl on tuesday night. They have done nothing but call and complain about how much the food is and how bad it is. However just for the record, they did enjoy award winning weiners in DCA. And they did enjoy the market place in New orleans in DL. Other than that, my dad sais he regrets buying the meal vouchers cause they kepp eating at Downtown disney and the vouchers cannot be used there. I just feel ripped off. However the portions were not tiny as i had said before for me, but for my husband they were smaller than he'd remembered and it just didn't seem worth the cost. Blue Bayou has definatly changed ALOT, the food stinks, and the service is worse our waitress was named Kierstin and she was terrible, she kept comming up and just shoving dishes around and reaching in front of our faces and interupting us. It was rediculous. And the hostesses could not have been any ruder. I just want you all to know I am a veteran of this reastraunt, been eating there for like 14 or so years, and I now have decided we will not be eating there again on any future DL visits. (Sadly)

Sk8Leigh said:
I was just there, and one thing that I really loved was my bleu cheese burger at Taste Pilot at DCA. It was perfect! And burgers aren't my favorite, but this was just really good. We had thought about eating Mexican back at the place near the Mission tortilla thing, but I was so glad we went to Taste Pilot! :thumbsup2

Yep, the Wild Bleu Yonder is my favorite menu item at Taste Pilot. I was at DCA earlier this year and the quality was still good (to me anyway).

All American said:
To each his own.

I just wanted to put in a word about the Hungry Bear Rest-er-ahnt (spellling? :confused3 ). This is my favorite place to eat at Disneyland. I love watching the canoes go by (for how much longer I don't know with the changes coming to TS Island). It is cool, and there are always ducks for the kiddies to feed. I love the chicken sandwich. It is pretty big with a nice helping of fries. Add a drink and I am glad the bathroom is right there. The food is nothing special, but I love it. :teeth:

We love this place too but it was closed down when we tried to eat there for dinner on Thursday 10/12 :sad2: and we were there at 4:30!

MadfordaMouse said:
We love this place too but it was closed down when we tried to eat there for dinner on Thursday 10/12 :sad2: and we were there at 4:30!

Does anyone know why Hungry Bear was closed? We love to eat there too, not so much for the food but more for ambience.

Dis Ohana said:
Does anyone know why Hungry Bear was closed? We love to eat there too, not so much for the food but more for ambience.

Its the off season. They dont have every place open all day, every day so that they can cut back on staff.

TinkerbellTris said:
But one thing seems to be sure, we all agree to some extent that the food has really gone down the tubes.

Compared to the food they served in the early 90's- the current food is excelent! I'll never forget the nasty turkey hotdogs and thin little dry pucks they called hamburgers. It was worse then school food.

I completely disagree that the food is going down the tubes. I think it's steadily getting better (or at least staying consistant). At least the counter service and quick service places are (I never eat sit-down) better than they used to be (the ones I frequent anyway). Granted, there are places I never eat--Village Haus and Hungry Bear being two of them. I've never had a decent French fry from Hungery Bear.

I was nervous about eating at the BB after reading the threads but it was actually pretty good. My daughter and I shared the Monte Cristo and then had the cookie boat sundae thing--so good! The bbq chicken at the Riverbelle was very good too, but the bread bowls were a little interesting at the French Market. My husband got the stew and was literally sawing the bowl apart with a knife, which was so tough that he nearly pushed it off his plate into his lap while hacking away at it! The kids and I had tears we were laughing so hard! :lmao:

We had a really nice lunch at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen- I know it's outside the park (and we actually weren't visiting the parks at all that day) but it was really good.

The difference in food prices between DL and MK is surprising:

Mickey Bar in MK - $2.75

Mickey Bar in DL - $4.00

The main reason DL's food prices are higher is because CMs are paid more at DL. I think CA's minimum wage is higher than FL's and since DL always pays more than the minimum (currently starting pay is at least $8.20 per hour and some positions get more to start), the cost has to come somewhere. But almost everything is higher in California--food prices (even outside the park), gas prices, etc...

iceskatejen said:
The main reason DL's food prices are higher is because CMs are paid more at DL. I think CA's minimum wage is higher than FL's and since DL always pays more than the minimum (currently starting pay is at least $8.20 per hour and some positions get more to start), the cost has to come somewhere. But almost everything is higher in California--food prices (even outside the park), gas prices, etc...

We go back & forth between WDW & DL and have definitely seen prices higher in DL for the same items (souvenirs like Mickey earrings or hats). Kids meal prices have also always been higher, but that may change now that WDW has raised their prices for those paying out of pocket to accomodate the Dining Plan... But that's a completely different subject for anotehr board! :)

I read somewhere that the strawberry shortcake from the Blue Ribbon Bakery (Main St.) was good. I never had anything from there before. I decided to try it yesterday and it was terrible! :crazy2: The shortcake was dry and it tasted stale (as if it's been sitting there for days). Not sure how long it's been sitting there or if all of their pastries were like that. :guilty:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter