Disneyland for the New Year and what can we combine with this trip?

5lilfish

DIS Veteran
I know NYE in Disneyland isn't the most ideal time to visit for a couple reasons (crowds, especially...and weather), but.... Our family has to work with both a college kid schedule and a high school schedule. Finding times that everyone is off and available to travel isn't easy. After Christmas is our best option. Its go then or don't go for a few more years (and possibly not at all for a portion of us).

So, with that in mind... I had originally thought we would just do Disneyland and make it a Jan 2-7 trip. After looking at the crowd predictions, I see that there isn't a lot to gain by not going over New Year's instead...I guess crowds don't drop significantly for that week. We would have 4 park days and we are used to peak times at Disney World. We'd get the 'fastpass' system and park hoppers. One advantage of going Dec 31-Jan 5, is I can actually book the room now. The dates for booking a trip starting in January aren't out yet, but if we start on Dec 31, I can book now, I think. I'm not sure when 2023 will be released? Any idea? Any thoughts on Dec 31-Jan 5 vs Jan 2-7?

Now... Regardless of which date we choose, we were thinking of doing something else for a couple of days. We've done San Diego before and that's not a big draw for us. Keeping in mind that we are talking late December (not beach weather), what could we go do for a couple days? We don't mind a bit of a drive (like 6 hours of less, I'd say). We like National/State Parks but can't do a lot of hard hiking (my husband has had knee replacement surgery). I'm open to cities/cultural/nature/whatever....just would like to combine something new/different with some time in Disney. Especially since California is the other die of the country for us...not someplace we can get to anytime.

Thanks...
Jess

We combined DLR with a visit to the Palm Springs area. Enjoyed the cable car to view the valley and the Living Desert Zoo and Gardens.

Dec 31-Jan 5. Crowds will likely pick up after the 2nd when pass block outs end and I think everyone should do Disneyland NYE at least once. We did it last year and it was actually really fun.

Late December can be beach weather. I remember surfing Christmas week and it was 80F but I agree with Palm Springs. The aerial tram is a fun activity or you could do Joshua Tree National Park.

We did NYE this year and had a blast. We used G+ and LL and did everything multiple times in our 4 days there. Even though it might be chilly, I'd say do the beach, maybe Santa Barbara or somewhere like that.

For what to "add on", Palm Springs is a good suggestion- can add Joshua Tree to that too. Death Valley and Las Vegas would also be an option (but not in combination with Palm Springs- they are in opposite directions).

Whale watching and Long Beach Aquarium.

Up to LA for Warner Bros tour, Griffith Observatory, other museums with space shuttles, tar pits, etc)

PHXscuba

We just got back from Universal Studios. It was fun, the rides were nice (not the ones with the motion screens) but the shows were excellent! You could try that park out. We also enjoy Santa Monica. I know you said it wouldn't be beach weather, but there is quite a bit to do there on the boardwalk. You could do whale watching in Newport if you don't get seasick easily.

Isn’t that like 90% of the rides? 🤪
Yep! Secret Life of Pets, the "Dumbo" bug ride and, Jurassic World, and the Studio Tour were the only rides we rode that didn't have a motion screen. The Harry Potter and Minions rides were just too much for me to handle lol

We really enjoyed Water World (watched it twice) and the Special Effects show.

Yep! Secret Life of Pets, the "Dumbo" bug ride and, Jurassic World, and the Studio Tour were the only rides we rode that didn't have a motion screen. The Harry Potter and Minions rides were just too much for me to handle lol

We really enjoyed Water World (watched it twice) and the Special Effects show.
Studio Tour does have 2 motion screen segments.

There’s also the Mummy coaster which I don’t think has any screens.

Studio Tour does have 2 motion screen segments.

There’s also the Mummy coaster which I don’t think has any screens.
The studio tour ones were fine. I think it's because we weren't head on. I think the 3D glasses may have helped as well.

We didn't get a chance for the Mummy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter