Disneyland Half Marathon 2024

Guys, guys, I got chosen for the Disneyland Half Marathon Survey!

*cracks knuckles* Okay, now to ask the group think to make sure I didn't miss anything.

These were my personal issues:
1. Security set-up, both at the start and lack of closure of some of the paths later in the half marathon course.
2. Lack of Photopass photographers on course/lack of castle photo opportunities. Even though I was in A and did get the Dumbo photo, I thought it was unconscionable how they shut the line before even B got there. (As far as I'm concerned, it should've been left open and if people want to get swept for one photo, that's their decision.)
3. Lack of differences in the mile markers. Minor pet peeve, but if you can't do music or anything else to keep things entertaining at least have variety here! Disneyland Paris had miles off property and they were at least able to do something.
4. Borrow the "course narrows ahead" and "speed bump ahead" speakers from WDW and reallocate those people elsewhere.
5. Have food trucks entertainment at the pre/post race area. Also have a merch tent with unsold race merchandise.
6. More lighting is needed in the dark areas, particularly from the start to the parks. I saw two people in my corral faceplant HARD before even entering the park.
7. Need medics on bicycles patrolling to make sure people are okay. I didn't see a single one on any of the courses.
8. Didn't personally witness, but that mile 3 bottleneck looked horrendous from photos and I will call it out.
9. Event guide should've been better laid out with where to go and when for the races. I only knew where I was going because of this group.
10. Better and bigger signage for everything. Would also be nice at the finisher areas to have signs pointing to "Disneyland Park Exit" "Clementine Drive Exit" ect.
11. Lots of confusion whether you could use Disneyland way to get in the starting area. Apparently, 10k yes, half marathon no.

What am I missing and not thinking of?
Looks good- I know you can't add every single thing, but to me I really felt at least 1 dining option should have been available to runners early like at the latest 3:00 am opening to grab coffee bagels etc. Disney is used to round the clock workers. For those that have done a WDW race do they have early food options?

2- bring back age group awards.

Oh- AND START ON TIME lol

Did you guys notice the parking lot permanent exit arrows were covered for the half day? During the 10K my husband started to follow them and got snippy with me when i was like uh, i studied The course guide- I know we can go back to harbor. 🤣

Didn’t affect me but i saw pics- not allowing balloons as a costume piece. Balloon ladies only!

Looks good- I know you can't add every single thing, but to me I really felt at least 1 dining option should have been available to runners early like at the latest 3:00 am opening to grab coffee bagels etc. Disney is used to round the clock workers. For those that have done a WDW race do they have early food options?

2- bring back age group awards.

Oh- AND START ON TIME lol
Yes, most of the resorts have some kind of option available that early, or at least food boxes available to grab the night before (I think), plus there’s food trucks at the start area at WDW

I'm so jealous you got the survey! I love surveys and I never seem to get them!

I'd add- garbage cans in the corrals (or just outside the barricades); larger corral space- there wasn't enough room for the all the runners in the back corrals, literally; more portapotties- though I think this is one of those you can never have enough type things; photopass in the finish area- for the I did it photos; get people's corrals right- I saw so many bibs with like A/D or other weird combos on them. I've never seen that at WDW. If necessary extend the POT out to 2:45 or 3:00.

*cracks knuckles* Okay, now to ask the group think to make sure I didn't miss anything.

1. Security set-up, both at the start and lack of closure of some of the paths later in the half marathon course.
2. Lack of Photopass photographers on course/lack of castle photo opportunities. Even though I was in A and did get the Dumbo photo, I thought it was unconscionable how they shut the line before even B got there. (As far as I'm concerned, it should've been left open and if people want to get swept for one photo, that's their decision.)
3. Lack of differences in the mile markers. Minor pet peeve, but if you can't do music or anything else to keep things entertaining at least have variety here! Disneyland Paris had miles off property and they were at least able to do something.
4. Borrow the "course narrows ahead" and "speed bump ahead" speakers from WDW and reallocate those people elsewhere.
5. Have food trucks entertainment at the pre/post race area. Also have a merch tent with unsold race merchandise.
6. More lighting is needed in the dark areas, particularly from the start to the parks. I saw two people in my corral faceplant HARD before even entering the park.
7. Need medics on bicycles patrolling to make sure people are okay. I didn't see a single one on any of the courses.
8. Didn't personally witness, but that mile 3 bottleneck looked horrendous from photos and I will call it out.
9. Event guide should've been better laid out with where to go and when for the races. I only knew where I was going because of this group.
10. Better and bigger signage for everything. Would also be nice at the finisher areas to have signs pointing to "Disneyland Park Exit" "Clementine Drive Exit" ect.
11. Lots of confusion whether you could use Disneyland way to get in the starting area. Apparently, 10k yes, half marathon no.

Release waves from the corrals instead of a freakin’ free for all!

For people coming from the Disneyland Hotel (and I assume the same for Grand Californian), we had to go through security twice to get into the start area (including taking our mylar off twice when it was cold!) and then again after the race, standing in line with people coming through security to get into the parks.

What I would add....
  1. More mini Waves... Half was soo congested in the back... not just at 3 mile... in my customize group Chris talked that WDW normally releases about 250 people per min and Disneyland did 300... so just looking at the data you can see why the crowds were such an issue.
  2. Security was a big issue for us getting back to our hotels who stayed on property... 30 min wait to get back to our hotels... ways to solve it. First charter a bus that picks us off and drops us off. It can be the same bus for all three hotels so they do not need to do multiple routes. Just one that get us from onside to the other without backing up security. I know guest hated us backing up the lines as much as us runners hating being in the lines. So it is a win..win just getting us a bus. The other way to solve it... have a couple of security lines just for us runners... that way we get through it faster.

1. Have people at the information tent that can actually provide accurate information. My friend wanted to spectate for the 10K and talked to no less than 6 people and was given different (and often conflicting) information each time. At one point, she was even told that she couldn't leave the parking lot area AND that she wasn't supposed to be in there in the first place.

2. Mini-waves! The course crowding at the back of the pack/corral F in the 10K was insane. There were times that I simply could not find space to run.

3. More Photopass photographers. As of yesterday, I did the entire half and have NO photos loaded.

4. Have speakers so that the later corrals can hear the pre-race entertainment. During the 10K, we just sat there in silence. I didn't realize how important Carissa's (and John's - I really missed their interaction) chatter was to the atmosphere until it wasn't there.

When was the last corral sent out? Max time from that corral would be 3:30, right? Just curious if they have an absolute latest finish time they're aiming for, i.e. if it was sent out at 5:30 the race would be done at 9.

@Nessats - I'm not on SM and we're terrible at recognizing people, but my friend said they'd never seen it that crowded before. It took forever to get a souvenir because there were so many people, but got to see Alfred talk.

@Disneyhanna - I think I enjoyed seeing all the characters at the WDW half because there's only a few at DL, so it was a pleasant surprise. You guys are lucky because in line people were noting the DL characters were boring because they didn't have any special outfits on 🤣

You guys did such an amazing job, I actually thought it was an official stop for a second! Took so many pictures!
We are so so glad you enjoyed our stop. We love our rD racers. You’re all rockstars.

Everyone has already said everything for me, so this is a crazy one, but I would love to see some accountability/transparency from rD (not that any other race orgs I know do this, but still). Something like a post-race report, or even a pre-next race report… here are the issues we encountered, and here is what we are going to/can do about them. I hope they are doing this internally at least!

Wouldn’t the balloons have to pass you for a hard sweep to happen? Like that seems like the math is off here on their end.
I'm guessing the latter. Or they were trying to really clear the parks.
I never heard the thing about hard sweep, but I did hear being ahead and then suddenly behind with no change in pace. It was so weird.
Definitely. I think it was a well meaning individual trying to clear the parks who possibly had misinformation.
I’m glad that runDisney races are back, but there is room for improvement (least of all security…they should have had clearly marked no bag lines). I’m willing to give Disney a little bit of grace because it’s their first weekend in a long time.
No races in over 6 years means a lot of institutional memory was lost in that time. Then factor in the new start and finish line. I do think that the new staging area is better. The old area meant being squeezed into the corrals with everyone. Much more chaotic than the security lines this weekend.

Now, there is plenty of room for improvement.
I’m still planning to come back for Halloween. Figure they’ll smooth out the kinks from this weekend. Maybe see some of y’all there.
I hope so too. I'm currently undecided about the Halloween races, but am leaning towards doing it.
Did anyone suffer water stop 3? The videos on social media are horrible.
Yep, when we saw it, we thought multiple people had fallen shortly before the mile 3 sign.
I heard of at least one, maybe two incidences during the 10k where it seems like cast members or race staff lied (misrepresented? were misinformed?) about where the balloon ladies were in an attempt to keep people moving.
I experienced that. It was weird.
I’m guessing there’s some sort of contractual or logistical issue here. That goes for not having characters on the course outside DL and not having them at the start/finish village. Would be nice to have confirmation about this but I don’t think we’re getting that from RD.
Given how long the lines for characters can get at the family reunion area at Disney World and the much smaller space for that at Disneyland, I don't see how they can put characters in that area. Maybe put them at the Expo, or *gasp* even have a dedicated line. Meaning you can get a picture with Dumbo, but have to show a Dumbo bib.
They did happen Sunday night and Monday night for sure
Fireworks happened Sunday night, but no castle projections. Which they had told us about.
Lack of differences in the mile markers. Minor pet peeve, but if you can't do music or anything else to keep things entertaining at least have variety here!
The mile markers have always been virtually identical here. Star Wars and Marvel had some characters on the mile markers, but that's it. I would like to see at least a character or two thrown on each mile marker.

There were certainly some issues this weekend. In Galaxy's Edge during the half, a CM said "this is not a picture line" in front of the Millennium Falcon, but there was already a line there and he essentially pretended it didn't exist. Most of us simply moved a few feet away and took photos in front of the Falcon anyways. A lot of inconsistency for sure.

The expo was a pleasant surprise, if once again a bit chaotic. I got into Anaheim around 1:30 and the virtual queue was already closed. However, a CM told me that that the way things were going, they might open the virtual queue again around 6:00pm so keep checking the app. While the app did not say it was reopened, I decided that the worst thing they could tell me was no, so I made the short walk to the expo and they had opened it up for everyone. Much to my surprise, the only stuff gone were the half pins and the backpacks. Although the medal holders were still available Thursday night. Otherwise, both race weekend jackets and race specific jackets (half and Dumbo), Coast to Coast shirts, I did it shirts, and generic race weekend shirts, and the humorous race shirts (Bring on the other half marathon Mickey and Minnie, Donald run and done, et all) were still available.

I have a runDisney jacket problem, so will have to ban myself from race jackets for a while. I did meet a lady in line for Space Mountain who forgot that she preordered pins and then got them again at the Expo, so she happily sold me her half pins at cost right on the spot. Worked out great for both of us.

I was not surprised by long lines in Disneyland for in race photos. That was certainly the case for the Star Wars races here. With the chaos of putting characters along city streets, there's only so much they can do. I think it's better to warn people that staying in the line may get you swept. The Belle and Beast line during the 5K was already cut off by the time I got there.

I feel like runDisney was between a rock and a hard place with this one. The first race in over 6 years was going to have a lot of pent up demand and expectations. Sometimes, impossible ones. Now, mile 3 during the half was a decision that clearly did not work out. At all. I think more characters would have been nice. At least put Marvel characters in Avengers Campus, even if on an overlook ala Galaxy's Edge.

I have only one photo from the half not at the finish line and that's coming out of the castle.. Somehow, I managed to literally miss all the other photographers based on where they were positioned and where I was running. I understand why anyone who paid for the photos would be frustrated. I think that photo ops in front of the Quinjet and the Millennium Falcon, to say nothing of Sleeping Beauty Castle should happen next time.

All in all, they have a lot of things to improve on. But I think it will happen. If these issues continue, then there's a problem. But it's not like the well oiled machine that is runDisney at WDW hasn't had major race gaffes before at new races or with new courses, so this is normal. Hopefully they get these issues fixed.

I do like that with the earlier start times, I finally got to run through a Disney park "at night" instead of daylight or shortly before the dawn.

I'm a Californian so Disneyland is easier for me to get to. I look forward to running through Disneyland next time when that comes.

Would I do the back to back Coast to Coast again? Probably not. Took a lot out of me and also impacted just how much I felt up to doing in Disneyland since I needed to be extra careful about conserving my body. But I did it and enjoyed it. Also great seeing a few of you at the Tortilla Jo's meetup on Friday.

1. I’m assuming this is in reference to the Santa Ana at least in part and I don’t think there’s a way to fix that without just removing that part entirely (which I wouldn’t be opposed too). But it’s a public trail which means I think they can’t fully shut it down. And at least when I came through the bikes were on good behavior that I saw

5. I think this is indicative of a bigger issue of hem needing the post race area organized better. Cause right now the way it was organized I don’t want anything else in there let alone the mess of a food truck line

7. Oh this needs fixing before September badly. We can’t afford a heatwave without bike medics

Honestly my only real complaint was the lack of photographers, especially at the castle for the 10K. Absolutely nothing there for runners coming out of the castle, which is one of my favorite parts of the WDW half and full. This was my first runDisney race at DL so I have nothing to compare it with, but overall I really enjoyed it. The 5K and 10K were both super awesome with a ton of park time. Starting the 5K in front of the castle and ending in Pixar Pier was incredible. And somehow I missed the entire mile 3 debacle during the half, despite being towards the back of corral D. I didn't really stop for anything up to that point, so maybe that's why but the only thing I remember about that area was that the mile 3 marker was about .1 miles too early.

I don't think I can afford to do DL for the September races, especially because I'm planning to do W&D again this fall with my running group. But, we will see what happens. I would love to get both C2C medals this year.

1. Have people at the information tent that can actually provide accurate information. My friend wanted to spectate for the 10K and talked to no less than 6 people and was given different (and often conflicting) information each time. At one point, she was even told that she couldn't leave the parking lot area AND that she wasn't supposed to be in there in the first place.

Not that I was there.....but someone mentioned having to pay $80ish to park for the expo and the races. Seems like runners should get free parking.

I am co-signing what so many people here have said but especially these 2 points. It was truly astounding to watch two people give different information/instructions within feet/ear shot of each other. So much bad info.

Also the parking should be included with how much a bib is and I want to add morning of transportation. Make those local shuttle buses free with your bib. The morning of the 5K we just so happened to have a bus driver pull over and give us a free ride to the start and she told us that the buses were free all weekend for runners and that we could take it back to our hotel. So we wait in line to take the shuttle back to our hotel and the bus driver on that bus tells us that there is no free transportation at all, and we need to purchase a pass, which I refused to do for a mile. So conflicting information AND an expense that should be included with price of bib.

I have only one photo from the half not at the finish line and that's coming out of the castle.. Somehow, I managed to literally miss all the other photographers based on where they were positioned and where I was running.
I am still mad about this! Between the 10k and half I have three on course photos. #1, I am unfocused and in the background (coming out of the castle, really I am in the background of a lovely pic of @RunWI1265 lol!) #2 I am half cut off and mid conversation so not even looking. #3 is halfway decent but I am looking at the wrong photopass camera :hyper:

I have soooo many finish pictures I can’t complain about that. Like 10+ from each race. But I don’t need 10 angles of me finishing, it would have been nice to have a few more on course instead. I would submit a request for missing pictures but I’m not sure what or when if I’m missing anything since there were so few cameras and it’s not like I know the times :confused3

I am still mad about this! Between the 10k and half I have three on course photos. #1, I am unfocused and in the background (coming out of the castle, really I am in the background of a lovely pic of @RunWI1265 lol!) #2 I am half cut off and mid conversation so not even looking. #3 is halfway decent but I am looking at the wrong photopass camera :hyper:

I have soooo many finish pictures I can’t complain about that. Like 10+ from each race. But I don’t need 10 angles of me finishing, it would have been nice to have a few more on course instead. I would submit a request for missing pictures but I’m not sure what or when if I’m missing anything since there were so few cameras and it’s not like I know the times :confused3
In response to this but just in general. I’m going by Photopass tonight before I head back to my hotel (yeah still in the area) and hoping to track down more then 3 of my finisher photos and my friends missing castle photos. I’ll let you know what works to get stuff show up and pass it along

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter