Disneyland Half Marathon 2024

It’s too soon to get excited about the weather forecast out here, but I’m really hoping the rain stays away for the weekend. We’ve been getting a decent amount lately. Galaxy’s Edge is already always slippery first thing in the morning, and the addition of rain would be even more miserable throughout the parks and Anaheim (very poor drainage 🫠🫠🫠)

IMG_1613.jpeg

Not to early to watch the weather! I started doing the same yesterday! I don't want the rain and I don't want it too cold!!! I'm hoping for some mid 60's and these high 50's I'm seeing have me a bit worried! Coming from Iowa, so it'll be warm either way, but I want a nice trip weather wise for us all and our runs!
Edit: I might have to recheck my sources! My iphone app has high 50's and other searches showing mid 60's!

It’s too soon to get excited about the weather forecast out here, but I’m really hoping the rain stays away for the weekend. We’ve been getting a decent amount lately. Galaxy’s Edge is already always slippery first thing in the morning, and the addition of rain would be even more miserable throughout the parks and Anaheim (very poor drainage 🫠🫠🫠)

I ordered a UA black shirt to layer under my tank top for my costume. I’ll have a Mylar poncho for the corral but I knew mid to high 40s would be a little chilly for me to be in a tank top.

I’m in AZ and it’s been in the 40s in the morning lately. It’ll be chilly waiting but I run in a tshirt and running skirt or capris. We plan to bring throwaway hoodies for the corral and maybe cheap gloves

Thanks for all the great maps @DopeyBadger! They are really helpful. I'm staying at VGC and trying to figure out the best way to get to the start for 10k and 1/2. It looks like exit hotel through DD exit (will likely have to clear security?) and then walk down esplanade past the parks to Harbor and enter the race area somewhere around iHop? Maybe 15-20 minute walk depending on speed. Kind of a bummer compared to previous races, LOL. Feels like Princess at WDW! Anyone see a better route?

Thanks for all the great maps @DopeyBadger! They are really helpful. I'm staying at VGC and trying to figure out the best way to get to the start for 10k and 1/2. It looks like exit hotel through DD exit (will likely have to clear security?) and then walk down esplanade past the parks to Harbor and enter the race area somewhere around iHop? Maybe 15-20 minute walk depending on speed. Kind of a bummer compared to previous races, LOL. Feels like Princess at WDW! Anyone see a better route?

Based on the map in the event guide, I would say the pathway to the pre-staging area is just north of IHOP between Tropicana and Camelot. That's not to say that maybe they'll let you walk through the IHOP parking lot, but that's not what they have pictured in the guide. It does look like a 15-20 min walk. For comparison, the walk from the bus dropoff at WDW races to the pre-staging area is about 10-15 min. So not too dissimilar from the initial walk at WDW. But WDW would still be a further walk if the corrals were on the highway.

Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 12.08.16 PM.png

We are at VGC too! I’m hoping the dtd security is open vs sending us all the way to the dlh entrance. We plan to walk through the esplanade and across Harbor. 15-20 minutes sounds about right. Maybe 10 more if they send us around to dlh

Is there anyone here who is local heading to the races? We live 10 minutes away and I'm trying to figure out when/how is best to get there. DH is doing the 5k, and I'll be spectating and then I'm doing the HM, and DH will be spectating wherever he can. I've been reading all the hotel reservation drama and glad I didn't have to deal with it, but now I have to figure out this part while y'all get to walk from your hotel o_O I know they're suggesting rideshare, but i'm unsure how reliable that will be in the wee hours of the morning 😬 I have to keep reminding myself this will be fun once we get past the pre-race panic and stress!

Well I had to cut my run short today because at mile 3.6 my right hip flexor started feeling sore 🤦🏻‍♀️. I’ve been able to do almost every single training run this cycle so I’m not too worried, but really? This is incredible timing. I’ve strained this hip flexor before, the last time being December 2021 so I have no idea what’s going on.

I’ve got ankle weights I can use to strengthen this and I have until Jan 10 to work on it before I fly to Anaheim.

Is there anyone here who is local heading to the races? We live 10 minutes away and I'm trying to figure out when/how is best to get there. DH is doing the 5k, and I'll be spectating and then I'm doing the HM, and DH will be spectating wherever he can. I've been reading all the hotel reservation drama and glad I didn't have to deal with it, but now I have to figure out this part while y'all get to walk from your hotel o_O I know they're suggesting rideshare, but i'm unsure how reliable that will be in the wee hours of the morning 😬 I have to keep reminding myself this will be fun once we get past the pre-race panic and stress!
Not local but I have friends who live about 30 minutes from the parks and used to do the races. (decided to bypass the stress of trying to register when it came back) Stayed with them a couple of times too. Usually from what I can remember they would get over to where I was if I wasn't staying with them sometime between 3:30 and 4. They also had to deal with parking which of course at that point was over in Mickey and Friends for all the races. So that's another factor.

I think I know the guide is saying to be parked by 4. I'm guessing because of road closures especially with the longer races.

I would just keep in mind parking time. Because that might be a bigger factor here than how long it takes to get over from where you live.

I was trying to measure which entrance people should take coming in from between Camelot and Grand Legacy. It's a little weird trying to figure out exactly where we should go first after getting into the event area.

According to a quick Google Earth measurement, the walk from Harbor starting between Tropicana/Camelot into the north entrance, or from Harbor down Disney Way to the south entrance is about a 1/4 mile either way. So for everyone coming from on property, go between Camelot and Tropicana, provided you're coming out the esplanade.

For Tropicana, BW Park Place, Park Vue, it looks like it's best to go north to the Tropicana/Camelot path. For Del Sol, it looks like it doesn't matter at all! For BW Anaheim and Grand Legacy, turn left and go south towards Disney Way.

At least that's how I see it from just a flyby overhead shot.

Based on the map in the event guide, I would say the pathway to the pre-staging area is just north of IHOP between Tropicana and Camelot. That's not to say that maybe they'll let you walk through the IHOP parking lot, but that's not what they have pictured in the guide. It does look like a 15-20 min walk. For comparison, the walk from the bus dropoff at WDW races to the pre-staging area is about 10-15 min. So not too dissimilar from the initial walk at WDW. But WDW would still be a further walk if the corrals were on the highway.

View attachment 821632

We are at VGC too! I’m hoping the dtd security is open vs sending us all the way to the dlh entrance. We plan to walk through the esplanade and across Harbor. 15-20 minutes sounds about right. Maybe 10 more if they send us around to dlh
Thank you both! Very helpful. The picture is great!

Hello to all and thanks @DopeyBadger!

RACE - 10K
DIS'er names - pixarmom and mateojr
Costume/Clothing - Buzz and Woody themed
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - 9-10 min mile
Club runDisney Platinum? -
(Yes or No) No, but Magic Key Holders!
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) Maybe!
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - Front
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Late

RACE - Half Marathon
DIS'er name - pixarmom
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration Maybe 2:00 or slower - not racing this
Pre-Race Meet-up? -
(Yes or No) Maybe!
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - Back
Early Bird or Late Arriver - somewhere in between

We’re part-time locals and drove to the half in 2016 - my oldest son and I were on our own so we arrived ridiculously early, parked with no issues and were fine waiting in the corral. I was similarly hesitant to rely on any other mode of transportation.

Given several unique circumstances, we’re staying on property this time. But based on my (now outdated) experience, if you’re 10 min away, I’d go for drive and arrive early!

I have a possibly stupid question. For the 5K, it says staging area + corrals open at 4. But what exactly opens at 4, and what do we have access to before that? If I'm staying on S Harbor, can I get onto Disney property before 4 but not into the park? Can I not go through the gate until 4?

I know things will probably be different than the before times but does anyone remember when people staying at good neighbors can get onto Disney property?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter