Disneyland Half Marathon 2024

Well that was …. Interesting. I’m sure runDisney will learn from the issues and improve in the future I don’t expect perfection after a 7 year hiatus. I really enjoyed the morning and was glad to finally complete my first (and probably only) Coast to Coast challenge.

I’m also likely to never do the DL again and it has less to do with the issues and more that the last 8 miles was no different than running a road race at home. I completely expected that so it didn’t detract from my experience- I just think if I do a DL run in the future the 10k would be a better overall experience. So glad I did it once though.

The issues on the course, lack of photo pass photographers and the pre/post race setup have really reinforced why I love the WDW races. I think I’d forgot how good a job rD does there - though obviously much easier when you control everything.

For the first time in almost a year I’m not registered for a future rD event but really looking forward to MW 2025.

Hope everyone still enjoyed their races despite the growing pains!

It was also nice to put some more faces to names!

Wishing everyone safe and hopefully uneventful travels home!

Started in the back of E. At least I thought I was in the back but there must have been people in the street that couldn’t fit who came in after we started moving because there were a ton of people behind me. Couldn’t do my intervals for at least .5 miles.

Mile 3 water stop was a disaster. There were people behind me shouting to let them thru because they didn’t need water. Like seriously? Get a clue.

I got a few selfies and pics by cast members but didn’t stop for any characters.

I had to use the potty three times. Never happened to me before and I was not happy.

The crowding thru the whole course was pretty awful. By mile 7 I was so over it and kind of wanted to quit. But I kept going and am so glad to be done. I’m really thankful now that our half last weekend was shorter. I’m not sure I would have gotten thru this if I’d run the full distance.

I always said DL would be one and one for me because it’s too much travel. I’m sticking with that. I also think I’m retiring from half marathons. I feel like 10k is perfect for me.

Feeling pretty sick and gross right now so I’ll be lying in bed for a bit. Hoping to make it out to the park later.

Also no trash cans in the corral was a big thumbs down!

View attachment 825829

71 miles in 11 days. This was totally worth all the early mornings. I am not a crier, but my daughter was waiting for me at the finish line and I got all teary.
My neck is getting sore looking at that pic! Pretty amazing, though.

While I am unhappy that, in the end, I missed the weekend, I am not unhappy to miss all the drama. Sorry, but "we've been on a break" is no excuse for crap logistics. They have put on these races before, and shame on them if they don't have the process documented, people trained, and resources in place to manage.

So while I was thinking that I might do Halloween--I still have an unused 3 day park hopper--I have decided no go. I'd rather pick a time to have an LA vacation w/DL add-on.

Epic photo! Was photopass prepared or do I need to have poses in mind?
Photo credit goes to my daughter. Our pics come out better with an iPhone than anything they do.

Genie+ is down resort wide :woohoo: The gift keeps on giving!

Edit: do NOT bother with guest relations they will turn you away “there’s nothing we can do right now” this is the main park entrance guest relations too.

Just had a plaid announce at the umbrellas they are giving them out. Use it then go back for another.

It’s interesting, I’m assuming there’s a good reason why they didn’t have any characters beyond the parks, but at the same time… it would be nice if they could?

And now I find out that this guy is roaming around here? Geez.

View attachment 825836
I think it’s a liability issue, as no characters have been outside the parks for other 10ks/half’s at Disneyland. I skipped on the half this year because I knew I wouldn’t be able to train for it, and now I’m glad I did.

Did they not have any community bands or cheerleading/dance teams out on the surface streets for the half? I get only have a couple of DJs for the 10k because the parks don’t need it and the surface streets had quite a few places for spectators, but you would think Disney would have coordinated some entertainment for the surface streets in the non-residential parts.

I think it’s a liability issue, as no characters have been outside the parks for other 10ks/half’s at Disneyland. I skipped on the half this year because I knew I wouldn’t be able to train for it, and now I’m glad I did.

Did they not have any community bands or cheerleading/dance teams out on the surface streets for the half? I get only have a couple of DJs for the 10k because the parks don’t need it and the surface streets had quite a few places for spectators, but you would think Disney would have coordinated some entertainment for the surface streets in the non-residential parts.
They had a marching band but no cheerleading/dance teams, I think there was less of that representation than I remember in my last DL half. Otherwise they had DJs, a band, a classic car group, and I think another cheering group i didn’t recognize? Honestly the second half entertainment could have been better, could have been worse.

Photo credit goes to my daughter. Our pics come out better with an iPhone than anything they do.

Just had a plaid announce at the umbrellas they are giving them out. Use it then go back for another.
Wait an hour for the umbrella for a pass :hyper: I have now done tour de guest relations at both parks and all are equally miserable. I overheard some people saying ride CMs just let them through without so that might be a better option. The CM by carsland said wait if you want questions answered otherwise no point just keep checking the app.

Edit: the line by Carthay is the worst I’ve seen, over 100 people. I counted!

IMG_2895.jpeg
You can’t see the front or back of this line in the picture!

And sorry to derail this from runDisney lol! A lot of guests are complaining about the runners. Funny enough I thought the amount of runners in security was not that high. The holiday weekend plus race weekend is just a disaster.

Last edited:
Yeah we saw the line for the umbrella and said hell no. I have a chat going in the app but it's been over an hour and they haven't responded.

We've had a bad experience with Genie+ this trip and I don't think I'd buy it again. Which is a bummer because we loved it last trip (two years ago so kinda a different universe).

And sorry to derail this from runDisney lol! A lot of guests are complaining about the runners. Funny enough I thought the amount of runners in security was not that high. The holiday weekend plus race weekend is just a disaster.
Yea, you got a different type of crowd at DL than you do at WDW. Lots of locals who are very protective of "their" park. I used to be an AP at DL for many years when I used to live in California. The locals know how a normal day at the park should look and go. Anytime an event like this draws in a not normal crowd, you will hear the complaints about that crowd overrunning the parks. Way different vibe than at WDW where the majority of people there are non local.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter