• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Hotel Discount for Key Holders?

D23Ry

Mouseketeer
Looking at going oct. 17-19 and will be getting the so.cal season pass. Can anyone tell me if you get a discount if you have the pass? Can i buy the pass now and get the discount? Little confused how this all works now.

I'm curious also about this. I'm booked at HoJo now but if there was a discount I might be interested in switching.

Looking at going oct. 17-19 and will be getting the so.cal season pass. Can anyone tell me if you get a discount if you have the pass? Can i buy the pass now and get the discount? Little confused how this all works now.
Which discount are you talking about? Food and merchandise discounts? You have to activate your pass before you get any discounts.
I’m not sure if you have to activate it before booking a discounted room though.

Last edited:
I'm curious also about this. I'm booked at HoJo now but if there was a discount I might be interested in switching.
Are you referring to a Magic Key hotel discount? There’s not always hotel discounts but they do release them sometimes. There’s currently a spring offer that gives up to 30% off some rooms until June 9th. The discounted rooms are limited though and can sell out.

Are you referring to a Magic Key hotel discount? There’s not always hotel discounts but they do release them sometimes. There’s currently a spring offer that gives up to 30% off some rooms until June 9th. The discounted rooms are limited though and can sell out.
I'm looking for October also. Where can I see the discounts at as I can't seem to find any magic key ones on the website.

The discounts rarely come out this far in advance. Last year they didn't post them until late September.

If you are set on staying onsite with or without a discount, book the room as soon as you are ready and call if a discount lines up with your dates to have it apply to your existing reservation. That way you have a room booked either way.

Thanks for all the info. Also talked to someone and passes are not activate for discounts until you make your first visit. So having a pass and making a reservation to try and get some kind of discount if offered would not work in my situation.

Thanks for all the info. Also talked to someone and passes are not activate for discounts until you make your first visit. So having a pass and making a reservation to try and get some kind of discount if offered would not work in my situation.
Boo. Were from Washington so we are not going to be there until our first visit with our passes. We can make the park reservations though.

I have been told different things about getting reservation discounts from in different CMs. In January, one CM was willing/able to book a Magic Key discounted hotel reservation for me even before I purchased the pass, but indicated I would need to activate it before I presented for check in (so I could have gone into the park to activate it, then check in). I didn't end up booking.

More recently, a different CM quoted me a price on the current Magic Key hotel discount (suprisingly, it was not any cheaper than the current Visa cardholder discount), but they would not book it without me already having a Magic Key. I didn't end up following up on it because it wouldn't save me an money. I'm unclear if the Magic Key would need to be active or not to book (I don't think so...)

I have been told different things about getting reservation discounts from in different CMs. In January, one CM was willing/able to book a Magic Key discounted hotel reservation for me even before I purchased the pass, but indicated I would need to activate it before I presented for check in (so I could have gone into the park to activate it, then check in). I didn't end up booking.

More recently, a different CM quoted me a price on the current Magic Key hotel discount (suprisingly, it was not any cheaper than the current Visa cardholder discount), but they would not book it without me already having a Magic Key. I didn't end up following up on it because it wouldn't save me an money. I'm unclear if the Magic Key would need to be active or not to book (I don't think so...)

How would they know if you are a magic key holder or not? Do they ask for your ticket number?

FWIW, I booked a military discount and was NEVER asked to show my ID, which is a first. I did the online checkin and was never asked. Got my room number, grabbed a physical key from the front desk, and that was it.

I don't think this is true. You just need to make your first park reservation with the magic key to use the discounts. I am booked at the GCH with the Magic Key discount and that will be our first time entering the park with our passes. Once your key is linked to your Disneyland account, you should be able to view and book any available room discounts.

I don't think this is true. You just need to make your first park reservation with the magic key to use the discounts. I am booked at the GCH with the Magic Key discount and that will be our first time entering the park with our passes. Once your key is linked to your Disneyland account, you should be able to view and book any available room discounts.

You can also technically use your MK discounts for shopping and dining before prior use of the ticket, at least I'm pretty sure you can. The only things that activate the pass and start the 365 day countdown are scanning in at the gates or using it for parking.

How would they know if you are a magic key holder or not? Do they ask for your ticket number?

FWIW, I booked a military discount and was NEVER asked to show my ID, which is a first. I did the online checkin and was never asked. Got my room number, grabbed a physical key from the front desk, and that was it.
They do verify if you are a magic key holder. At least when it was season passes you had to give them your pass number, guessing it is the same as a magic key holder

You can also technically use your MK discounts for shopping and dining before prior use of the ticket, at least I'm pretty sure you can. The only things that activate the pass and start the 365 day countdown are scanning in at the gates or using it for parking.
Not in my experience. I went in September and had bought my Magic Key but hadn’t activated it yet, so I wasn’t able to use dining and merchandise discounts. They scan your magic key when you use it for a discount so I’m not sure how that would work if it wasn’t activated yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter