Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian

Terk-1

Dreaming of Disney Cruising!
Can't decide between these 2. I can get a "preferred" view rate at DL for $235 per night and a "standard" view room at GC for $270 per night. Hoping for a discounted rate lower than that. Which would you choose and why?

We were in the same dilemma and after reading some reviews, decided to go with the GC. Also, yesterday there was a segment on the Travel Channel about it, and it looked gorgeous. I know we will probably not be visiting DL again anytime soon, so wanted to do it as nicely as possible.

Have you tried Travelocity for rates? I believe you might be able to get a better rate at the DH than what you mentioned.

This is the first time I've been to DL in over 12 years. Being on the East Coast I tend to go to WDW yearly, as it's closer. I saw the GC on the Travel Channel yesterday and really liked the looks of it. Reminds me a little of the Wilderness Lodge. The $270 rate is through AAA, but am hoping for a little lower with either a code or a newspaper ad. The more pics and reviews I see, the more I'm leaning towards that one. I probably won't be back to DL for several years, so I thought it would be worth the splurge as it will only be for a couple of days.

Sounds like you've already decided on the GC. I support that choice, but there are reasons to choose the DLH. It's less expensive, the Neverland Pool may be preferred by some kids (but I think GC may be able to pool hop to DLH, but not visa versa), the rooms are a little bigger, and some may find it a little more festive. But I would choose the GC for it's location and style.

An advantage of booking through AAA is the multi-Fastpass option, only available through AAA when you are staying at a Disney resort. This can be a great benefit, but in October isn't worth as much. If you were staying longer, you might also be able to get your 4th night free. One last thought; if you are able to book without a cancellation penalty, you might find the rates drop a couple of weeks prior to your trip if the resort is underbooked. It's pretty dangerous to count on that, but is nice to watch for if you are able to cancel and re-book.

PS -- watch out for the total rate when comparison shopping. You need to add tax and resort fees to some of the published rates while some published rates will include the tax and/or resort fees.

My advice, depends on who is going, if you have kids, they will like DLH better, if it's all adults, I hear GC is nicer.

I too agree. My nephew and neices love the DLH but if it is just my wife and self.....its the GC.

Have you heard about the discounted DL package available for 8/28/05 through 12/19/05? Pay for 3 nights and get the fourth night free... :sunny:

The Disneyland Hotel has its charms, but if you are used to the immersive theming of the hotels in Orlando, then only the Grand Californian will do.
The best tip I can give you about getting a good deal on a room is to ask for the Annual Passholder room rate. You can often save far more than the cost of the $300 annual pass in the hotel discount. And, unlike Orlando, an annual pass in Disneyland gets you a discount in every restaurant and shop in the parks. It's an unbelievable deal and well worth it for anyone traveling to the west coast!

The rates may go down closer to your travel dates. Two months ago we were quoted $265 for the GC, but when I called last week we are getting $219 for Sat night and $169 for Sunday night, so I cahnged our reservations from DLH to GC. It will be our first stay at GC! We have a bunkbed room for our two boys. Can't wait! We are driving up tomorrow! :banana: :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter