Disneyland Hotel Vs. Grand Californian

Disfor3

Mouseketeer
I'm sure there is another thread on this somewhere... but since the update I can't find the search button! I didn't think I was an idiot... but if someone could tell me where to find the search i'd appreciate it!

Back to the question at hand: which of the two hotels would your recommend and why? We will have 5 adults and one child in our group. What is most important to me is room cleanliness and a quiet room would be awesome! A nice view is great but not a deal breaker. Thanks so much for any thoughts/help!

Both hotels are clean, and I have never had too big of a problem with noise in the room at either one. A little noisier in Grand but that is because our room faced the park so there was some noise from there. Grand is closer to the parks but costs more. I assume you will need two rooms with that size party. I think the decision lies more in what kind of experience you want. My kids love the pool at DH more than the Grand. DH is more whimsical and "disney-fied". Grand is more tranquil and has a lodge feel. I will say that I have always gotten better service at DH. CM just seem more accommodating and helpful. I also prefer the club services at DH compared to the Grand.

For adults, I'd pick GCH, assuming you can afford it. Both hotels are awesome. I haven't stayed at GCH, but just walking through, it's definitely a good hotel for a more grown up crowd and your child won't mind it either.

Time of year and age of child make a difference in which one I'd choose.
If the child like to spend time in the pool and likes water slides, it's the DLH.
If the pool isn't high on the list then the GCH. The pools at the GCH are nice but I think kids like the DLH slides best.
Rooms at DLR hotels have a max of 5 people per room. Larger suites will accommodate more. However, we have found it less expensive to get two connecting rooms when the group is more than 5.

Geemo

It really depends on what you are looking for in a hotel. If you are using the hotel as a place to relax and get pampered, then the grand californian would work great for you. It has a nice, woodsy, and luxurious feel to it and is generally recommended as a great resort for adults. The location is perfect, as it is practically inside of california adventure.

But if you are wanting more of a bright, fun, and totally "disneyfied" vacation, then choose the disneyland hotel. The pool is superior to the grand and it also has larger rooms. It is also cheaper, usually It was the first disney hotel ever built and has a modern retro feel to it, echoing the nostalgia and magic of disneyland park.

Whichever one you choose, you will end up happy. It is more of a matter of personal preference. Have a great vacation!

Time of year and age of child make a difference in which one I'd choose.
If the child like to spend time in the pool and likes water slides, it's the DLH.
If the pool isn't high on the list then the GCH. The pools at the GCH are nice but I think kids like the DLH slides best.
Geemo

I totally agree. I like the pool at GCH because it's more quiet and I love the lounge chairs, but if there are kids I'd go for the DLH. Also, if you have a really young child that takes naps or an elderly person who needs to rest often, GCH is a good choice. Personally, I think the rooms aren't different enough to tip me over the edge to pay more at GCH. And I know you didn't mention it, but we really love PP because they have a couch that turns into a bed...nice for those of us with older kids who don't share a bed anymore.

We always stayed at the Grand Californian when I was younger and we loved it. You get the direct access to the DCA park without having to walk as far and it's a much more overall relaxed feeling in comparison to DH. However, the pool at DH is much more fun for kids and the overall theme of DH is probably more appealing to a kid than the nicer, fancier GC. Both are equally clean and I've never had a problem with noise at either location.

For me, it's the Grand, hands down every time, simply because of the shorter walking distance.

We picked DLH for our upcoming (delayed) honeymoon. GC looks a lot like Wilderness Lodge at WDW, and that's where we always stay. We wanted something different, and, like the previous posters have said, something more "disneyfied" since it is our first visit to DLR.

For us, it is the DLH every time. We usually have 6-7 people, and I can get a 1 bedroom suite. When I find rooms at a discounted rate I will do 2 rooms. The rooms are larger at the DLH and that makes a difference to us. The walk is about 4-5 mins difference if you have a room close to the elevator at the Grand, if you are down one of the hallways, it can be the same, and for us, once it was even longer.

Before I owned at VGC, I preferred the DLH. As the PP said the rooms are larger because it is an older hotel. However, I love, love, love the Grand and prefer the VGC rooms for location because they have the best view park view (IMO - assuming you can get a park view) and they all have a great location from the elevators. You don't have to walk 1,000,000 miles to get to the elevators and down to the pool.

Good luck with your decision! If you can plan your trip further out (inside the owner booking window) you could always consider a rental from David's (the board sponsor) or a private owner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter