Disneyland Hotel vs HoJo

Imamom2

Mouseketeer
Looking at both w/ 3 day hoppers. DH is almost $1000 more and I’m not sure it’s worth it. If both are walking distance and early entry is only 1/2 hour… any other perks to staying on sight? It’s never a question in WDW, but this is our first DL trip and I’m just not sure.
Thx

IMO, they only real benefit is staying "on the bubble". It's really up to you to decide if that is worth it for you or not.

If it's affordable, I'd stay at Disneyland Hotel. I've done both and while Hojo is nice, Disneyland Hotel feels more special. You have to walk around 15 minutes to get to the parks either way, and I'd rather walk through Downtown Disney than Harbor Blvd. Also, at DLH you have the monorail and early entry. If you're at DLH you can use the new back entrance into DCA, too, which is very convenient. Depending on when you're going, you might be able to get a discount on the DLH rooms, as they have sales a few times a year.

I'd say the "value" of early entry depends on when you're going also. That half hour doesn't give you a huge advantage in a less busy time, but would be more valuable during a spring break/October/holiday time. Are you going to be using the hotel amenities or are you going in January when you're not going to want to use the pool?

I’d always choose DLhotel over Hojo, as long as I could still swing it budget wise. Especially as WDW people, the bubble is real. That walk at the end of the night on harbor just kills it for me.

I've heard the line at security over on the hotel side is much quicker to get through than off Harbour. I can say we've been in some awful long lines at the bag check there which have stretched back into the bus zone. It's only happened a couple times to us personally, but I have friends who refuse to stay on that side for that reason.

It really depends. The Disneyland Hotel is truly amazing. The theming, the CMs, the ease of access to the DtD area and the parks. It's magical. But, you'll have just as magical of a time staying on Harbor. I've never personally stayed at HoJo (shockingly! We've pretty much stayed at almost every hotel/motel up and down Harbor at least once). The security lines used to be a real problem a few years ago, but they've since increased the amount of "lanes" that are open in the morning so there is very rarely a huge line or even much of a line at all.

There are a few unhoused/homeless people that tend to hang around Harbor, but they leave you alone and are not really a major threat. There are always people from the parks walking back up to an hour after park closing, so there is very much a safety in numbers aspect there as well. I like to check CrimeMapping for the area around Disneyland and there is very rarely any kind of violent incident in the area, including on Harbor.

We were always Harbor/across the street people growing up and have always had a great time. We had the privilege of staying at the Disneyland Hotel for the first time last year in March and then two more times on-property since then (GCH x1, DLH x2). We are booked for the Disneyland Hotel for Christmas/New Year's again this year, but for our trip coming up in April we are going to do across the street at the Desert Inn. If the $1000 extra feels like it might stretch things too much or make it so you'll not be able to get the souvenirs or meals you want, go with HoJo. You really can't go wrong with either choice.

Also - I don't know if I buy in to the "bubble", at least for Disneyland. Walking through DtD can be interesting with a lot of things to look at, but the experience isn't diminished by going across the street to off-property. I almost miss walking under the big "Disneyland Resort" sign every morning when we're on-site. Something about it just makes you think...we're actually here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter