Disneyland New Years Eve 2015 - 2016 Thread!

IronCloud

Earning My Ears
This thread is for DISers who are going to Disneyland NYE and to ask questions, and give strategies. I myself will be going with my family to Disneyland NYE and are planning to be there by rope drop.

We won't be there by rope drop, but we do have a breakfast reservation at Carnation Cafe and a Holiday tour scheduled. Plannng on remaining in the parks until closing.

Thanks for this thread! The 31st will be my first of three days in the parks. Though I'm a DLR vet, I haven't been since July 2014. There have been some significant changes that I definitely need to come up with some sort of plan.

I think my family will take it easy on the 31st since we're driving down they day before and because of the crowds.

Our main goal that first day will be to see the Star Wars stuff and the parades. I'm a little weary of how long we have to wait for PTN. I've read that some people stake their curb spot right after the daytime parade, which would mean several hours of waiting. Not sure if my family would go for that!

Thanks for this thread! The 31st will be my first of three days in the parks. Though I'm a DLR vet, I haven't been since July 2014. There have been some significant changes that I definitely need to come up with some sort of plan.

I think my family will take it easy on the 31st since we're driving down they day before and because of the crowds.

Our main goal that first day will be to see the Star Wars stuff and the parades. I'm a little weary of how long we have to wait for PTN. I've read that some people stake their curb spot right after the daytime parade, which would mean several hours of waiting. Not sure if my family would go for that!
On NYE last year people were already waiting in the hub at lunch time for the fireworks. I opted to watch the 9pm fireworks from Fantasmic after the show and then did actual NYE at DCA since that's the only time DCA ever launches fireworks.

On NYE last year people were already waiting in the hub at lunch time for the fireworks. I opted to watch the 9pm fireworks from Fantasmic after the show and then did actual NYE at DCA since that's the only time DCA ever launches fireworks.
I heard that people start staking spots by 8 AM! My goals are to hit Star Tours, Hyperspace Mountain, Nemo Subs, Matterhorn, & It's a Small World by 10 AM. Then I'm hoping we could stake out a bench. After that

We are going 12/27-1/1. What are your estimates as to when we need to be in DL on NYE to avoid a capacity closure? Right at rope drop or do we have any leeway? And do you think DCA will be open all day or will it hit capacity?

We are going 12/27-1/1. What are your estimates as to when we need to be in DL on NYE to avoid a capacity closure? Right at rope drop or do we have any leeway? And do you think DCA will be open all day or will it hit capacity?
DCA did not hit capacity last year. I would say you would want to be there by late morning just to be safe.

And do you think DCA will be open all day or will it hit capacity?

I have done DCA last three years and zero problems with even coming close to closing for capacity. Everyone wants to be over in DL. Honestly in the evening it felt no worse than an average summer weekend crowd wise...but a whole lot more fun!

I think last year that DL gates shut down around 4p for a while but opened back up later on.

Thank you for this thread! We're going (2 Moms, 3yr old daughter and 6yr old daughter), dec 28-Jan 2. Staying at GCH.
I've never wanted to be at DL during this time of year due to the crowds, but my niece's high school band is marching on NYE in the parade. So, that's fun. :)

I've made at least one or two dining reservations every day b/c I'm sure QS lines will be crazy. My wife is diabetic, so she has to eat frequently. I also made some dining package reservations for Fantasmic and WoC. Wish there was one for the Fireworks and PTN.

If the park closes for capacity, are hotel guests allowed in?

Anyone know if the whole week is going to be crazy busy, or just NYE?

I'm excited, but nervous. Hopefully the kids will be ok. This could be really fun or really overwhelming and stressful or probably both!

I actually don't know if we'd stay up to see the fireworks. As much as I'd love to see them, I think my family will just be too tired to stay up. We're driving down from No Cal the day before. Plus I'm thinking that if we go to bed early, we can be up early for the 8am opening on the 1st. I'm going with the theory that most people will have stayed up late and won't be able to wake up early on the 1st. At least that's what I'm hoping for!

Thank you for this thread! We're going (2 Moms, 3yr old daughter and 6yr old daughter), dec 28-Jan 2. Staying at GCH.
I've never wanted to be at DL during this time of year due to the crowds, but my niece's high school band is marching on NYE in the parade. So, that's fun. :)

I've made at least one or two dining reservations every day b/c I'm sure QS lines will be crazy. My wife is diabetic, so she has to eat frequently. I also made some dining package reservations for Fantasmic and WoC. Wish there was one for the Fireworks and PTN.

I'm excited, but nervous. Hopefully the kids will be ok. This could be really fun or really overwhelming and stressful or probably both!

IF my memory serves me correctly, (went holiday season 2011, could be different now), there are different levels of capacity closure. One is where only re-entries are allowed, meaning if you entered early on, got a hand-stamp upon leaving, you are allowed back in. If you are entering for the first time, you aren't allowed in. The other type of closure is where NO ONE is let in (re-entries or new entries.)

Last edited:
I heard that people start staking spots by 8 AM! My goals are to hit Star Tours, Hyperspace Mountain, Nemo Subs, Matterhorn, & It's a Small World by 10 AM. Then I'm hoping we could stake out a bench. After that

I wonder if there will be any space to watch the parades. I am NOT staking out a spot more than 1-1.5 hours before the parades. May have to just hit the rides that day and do the parades another day. Or just do the parade over at DCA.

I think we are planning to be in DL for the morning and then heading over to DCA for the evening and fireworks. Don't have any plans for rides but might do them if we can get FPs. Just excited to spend NYE at Disney!

Sorry, I don't believe hotel guests get in if it hits capacity. If you go in the morning and leave you have your hand stamped which means they'll let you back in if it's crowded, but.... if it hits full capacity i don't think you could get back in. Also, now i'm debating doing DCA because i've seen PTN & Disneyland Forever. Plus if we go to DCA the day probably won't be as hectic as DL. If I go the DCA route we'll hit RSR, fast pass it, TSM, California Screamin', TOT, & Soarin' Over California, & Ride RSR again by 12 PM.

Sounds like fun! I have been to the DLR for NYE lots of times and it is always fun, even if a bit hectic at times.

There are different levels of closures, and they aren't always announced very clearly. The first level is usually when they stop selling one day tickets to DL. There are other levels such as when they stop allowing first time entry, but re-entry is ok. There is also a closure where no one is let in the parks for any reason whether a hotel guest or not. So it does depend on what level the park is at. You can almost always get into DCA, though.

It was very smart to make dining reservations, that is a great way to take a break from the crowds and it beats standing in long lines for food.

The whole week will be crazy busy, sad to say. You may notice some difference especially if the weather is bad on some days. Californians tend not to turn out on cold, wet days.

Have fun and Happy New Year!

Hi All -
Looking forward to spending NYE at DCA! However, my family is lucky enough that our college football team will be playing in the College Football Playoffs at 5PM that night. Does anyone recall any locations at DCA that happen to have televisions? I'm assuming no but wanted to make sure I wasn't forgetting anywhere. Current plan is to leave and head to ESPN Zone for the game, but I get nervous about the park being busy on reentry!

Hi All -
Looking forward to spending NYE at DCA! However, my family is lucky enough that our college football team will be playing in the College Football Playoffs at 5PM that night. Does anyone recall any locations at DCA that happen to have televisions? I'm assuming no but wanted to make sure I wasn't forgetting anywhere. Current plan is to leave and head to ESPN Zone for the game, but I get nervous about the park being busy on reentry!

As far as I know there are no TVs in DCA. And you can understand why, since it would mess with the theming.

If the crowd patterns hold to last year you should have no problems re-entering DCA after the game. I suspect that there may be some increase in crowds this year, but I would be very surprised if DCA experienced a high level closure like DL.

Good luck!

Bumping this thread!

Does the midnight WOC require a FP?

I currently have a F! Dining Reservation at River Belle Terrace on NYE at 3PM. Anyone know which show I will get a FP for since there are three that day (8:30, 10:15, 11:59)? I'm hoping to enter DCA first thing and grab a FP for the midnight WOC if possible/necessary. Then, I'd hop across to Disneyland and spend the bulk of the day there. If my meal provides a FP to the 8:30 F!, I'll watch that and the fireworks from the ROA, and then hop across to DCA for the rest of the evening.

Bumping this thread!

Does the midnight WOC require a FP?

I currently have a F! Dining Reservation at River Belle Terrace on NYE at 3PM. Anyone know which show I will get a FP for since there are three that day (8:30, 10:15, 11:59)? I'm hoping to enter DCA first thing and grab a FP for the midnight WOC if possible/necessary. Then, I'd hop across to Disneyland and spend the bulk of the day there. If my meal provides a FP to the 8:30 F!, I'll watch that and the fireworks from the ROA, and then hop across to DCA for the rest of the evening.
Yes it does. Last year they had a separate machine distributing FPs for the midnight show.

Just FYI, I don't remember last year the park hitting capacity at DL. I arrived at DL at around 4, and I was able to get in so I don't know where people got the idea that it closed around 4 for a little bit. The lines are almost always crazy, I waited 120+ minutes for Indiana Jones, and about 75 (which i was shocked) for Space Mountain. It's a really fun time, but you have to go in knowing that you will hit long waits (especially if you go to DL or DCA late in the afternoon)

I much preferred the feel of DCA though, I left DL at around 10:00 and it was a madhouse to get to the exit because there were people in the walkways just twiddling their thumbs waiting for the fireworks even though they were told they need to move. So prepare for people being rude and ignoring the requests of CMs and then getting mad at people for actually using the walkway for what it was intended for. DCA feels less crowded...

I have a feeling this year it will hit capacity early though because of the Star Wars things and its the 60th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter