Disneyland...OMG!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know. I kinda like how casual the DL CMs are. The ones at WDW seem to fall into one of 2 categories: over the top happy (and fake) or completely clueless and uninformed. Sometimes both things.

The ones at DL might have personal conversations on the clock, but they know their stuff. And they will be honest with you about Disney and not always blow sunshine at you when you complain about something that they agree is annoying. It feels like they actually care about the park and your experience and will commiserate and work really hard to make things right. In my experience, they are more likely to go above and beyond.

Now, WDW bus drivers are fantastic across the board. I don't think I've ever had a bad one. They are a special breed.

Well, I never go in the grocery stores in Orland. I know they used to not let CMs wear costume off-the-clock, but that may have changed. Honestly, I find those College Program kids to be the most pleasant of all. I know they often just end up becoming "lifers" and seem very into the whole thing. I always feel like people at DLR are just doing their job. I have heard conversations between them that should not be held in earshot of guests. That said, it's all anecdotal. Generally, CMs at both parks are generally excellent and provide great service!
For years and years, there were huge locker rooms that CM's would change in. You never took your costume home (you were actually prohibited from doing that), you kept it in your locker and you swapped it out for a clean costume before or after every shift at wardrobe. A few years back they eliminated the locker rooms and wardrobe as it existed, and issued CM's several sets of costumes that they wear to and from work, and are responsible for laundering themselves. They only need to switch out a garment if it becomes worn, or if they are working in a different location (they have changing rooms for that now). It went from never taking a costume home (stealing) to always keeping it at home.

Last edited:
For years and years, there were huge locker rooms that CM's would change in. You never took your costume home (you were actually prohibited from doing that), you kept it in your locker and you swapped it our for a clean costume before or after every shift at wardrobe. A few years back they eliminated the locker rooms and wardrobe as it existed, and issued CM's several sets of costumes that they wear to and from work, and are responsible for laundering themselves. They only need to switch out a garment if it becomes worn, or if they are working in a different location (they have changing rooms for that now). It went from never taking a costume home (stealing) to always keeping it at home.
My daughter had 2-3 CM costumes at home when Covid hit and she couldn't return them until DL opened up again, which was a couple of years.

I totally feel you. Though your itinerary takes the cake! Coming from Hawaii, the flight to LA is a breeze. Flying to Orlando is painful, especially with little kids. Flying to Asia or Australia/NZ is easier. People in the mainland US are spoiled when it comes to travel times.
lol not if you are traveling to Hawaii! (My thoughts and prayers are with the warm and welcoming people of Maui.)

Well, the drop sequence is randomized, and I don't think I've noticed any changes on it. It's still a blast, and the WDW version was always the better one because it moves through the "fourth dimension" scene. I don't mind that they changed the DCA one though because now I have both versions to enjoy.

Cosmic Rewind is an absolute blast, hands down!
Having grown up with the Twilight Zone, I will always prefer that, but I understand that many of today's visitors don't relate to it. I wish DL had kept the girl trapped in the 4th dimension in the queue as an Easter Egg. Of our 3 rides on ToT this trip, 2 were awesome with great air time and one was pretty tame.

I don't know. I kinda like how casual the DL CMs are. The ones at WDW seem to fall into one of 2 categories: over the top happy (and fake) or completely clueless and uninformed. Sometimes both things.

The ones at DL might have personal conversations on the clock, but they know their stuff. And they will be honest with you about Disney and not always blow sunshine at you when you complain about something that they agree is annoying. It feels like they actually care about the park and your experience and will commiserate and work really hard to make things right. In my experience, they are more likely to go above and beyond.

Now, WDW bus drivers are fantastic across the board. I don't think I've ever had a bad one. They are a special breed.
I love that the CMs from other countries are back at World Showcase (and some in Africa at AK, though didn't see any of the African ambassadors at AKL yet). They are always so fun to talk with and seem genuinely happy to be there. And so happy the characters are again walking around DL, have had so many fun interactions.

technically theres an extra scene at the DLR MMRR that doesnt exist in FL
Interesting. What scene is it? I didn't notice on our recent trip. (I love that DLR finally did a queue better than WDW! Indy used to have a really fun queue imho until they ruined it by the way they handle FastPass; now you wait and wait outside, same as they did with Splash, then when you FINALLY get inside you speed past the fun stuff!)

I agree with everything you said. The guest comment in particular. I read someone described it as the DL guests are "less FRANTIC" which is exactly right! As mostly locals, they are not determined to get on every ride in one day, to meet every character no matter what. I sometimes overhear them, they just say, oh we will do that next time. (We are from NJ and only get to DL once a year).

I am a retired TDS CM and I am grateful for my room discounts as it is a bit nuts out there. Hopefully Paradise (Pixar) Pier will be available to us again, more affordable.

I agree with a lot of these sentiments. Always felt like Disneyland was more charming and Disney World has more grandeur. The food at Disneyland is better, likely because it is easier to go off property for a meal, and so to make money Disney has to make the quality comparable or better to what is easily available just outside the gate. Disney World really has you captive. As far as the guests go, Disney World embodies a lot of the east coast energy, for better or worse, haha! Being from NJ, my walk is super fast and when I go to the parks, Disneyland or Disney World, my husband jokes, and asks, why I'm running. I have to remind myself to get off autopilot and slow down.

It's probably a better approach to take more days at Disney World, and slow down, and take some rest days around the resort. I do understand though that approach can add in a few to several more days and is costly, but worth considering when approaching the respective properties.

You have a great trip and report back when you get home. You will love it. Really take your time and take in everything. Soak it all in. We've been home for 5 days and are all ready to go back.
Well, since you asked... just got back last night. Overall, a fantastic trip, and I really appreciate the help from folks on this thread. We're already thinking about when we can swing a trip back. I think most of this has already been touched on somewhere in this thread (or elsewhere), and YMMV...

The good:
-- Lansky. Any company willing to let me stop at In-n-Out on the way to Disney gets an A+ in my book.
-- VGC. We asked for first available, got the text about 2:30 while killing time at the pool. Turned out to be 4th floor theme park view! Overall, I just like the VGC vibe (well, all Peter Dominick Disney resorts, really).
-- Early entry. Just wish it were longer. So easy to knock out everything you want in Fantasyland, or get to your rides of preference. Less is open for early entry at DCA, but that was fine with us as the 3yo was happy to just ride Mater five times in a row.
-- The parks are just so convenient. We're a mid-day break family with the kids, so the easy GC access was awesome. It's so easy to bounce in and out of the parks, or from one park to another.
-- Where there are rides at both DL and WDW, I generally preferred the DL versions. Pan, Small world, MMRR... just the little extras set them apart.
-- Cars is a favorite of our 3yo, so Cars Land was phenomenal. And Toon Town was great for the kids too. Nothing like either of those at DW.
-- The CM were generally great.
-- It didn't feel overly busy (though, Friday night it definitely picked up).

The bad:
-- It did seem like a lot of rides were down, a lot of the time. There's a lot down for refurbishment too, but at least you can plan around those. Got to be a running joke that as soon as I'd book a LL for Incredicoaster it'd go down by the time I got there. Even most of things to do on Tom Sawyer Island were closed.

The shoulder shrugs:
-- Character breakfast at Plaza was a mixed bag. The Minnie photo op outside was great, and there were a good range of characters inside (particularly the "rare" ones, like Max and Suzy). But the tables were super-cramped. The characters kept trying to squeeze between the tables, but there wasn't room and we just kept asking them to stay out and we'd come to them instead.
-- On the quick serve menus, the kids power packs were supposed to come with carrots. But they only did about half the time. Sometimes they gave us an extra mandarin, sometimes not. Not the end of the world, but with picky little kids it was a bummer to miss out on one of their favorite veggies.
-- The WDW/MDE/MB+ suite is just more functional for us than the DL app/MB+. It was easy enough to adapt, though it felt weird to actually need room keys and credit cards. And given the kids and the mix of LL rides, we didn't use LL at DL as much or in the same way as we do at DW.
-- We'd planned three park days, but probably needed four. We didn't get to many of the shows, for example. But we were pretty relaxed about it too, between hotel breaks and not rushing from one ride to another.

How was the motion sickness factor? I keep reading that it’s a vomit comet.
My sis can not do star tours or smugglers run because of motion sickness and guardians cosmic rewind is now her absolute favourite ride of any park. No issue whatsoever. I am also one of the grinning idiots after that ride. Soooooooo good.

Disneyland and Walt Disney World are two completely different experiences. Both are special in their own ways and both have a lot of positives.

On the ride front, the only one that completely blow me away as being better at Land vs World was Space Mountain for Land and Splash Mountain for World. Most everything else the differences were minor enough to not impact my enjoyment of the overall experience. As a Tower of Terror lover, I was scandalized that they did what they did. Then I rode it. I loved it a lot. But I still love ToT. I was actually so impressed that they were able to use a similar ride system for an entirely new experience.

The exclusive lands/rides/parks balance to me. Obviously this will change when Pandora opens at Land sometime in the next 5 years.

I actually preferred the food at World. There is just more options for my somewhat picky self. I didn't think there was a remarkably different experience on the food. And World has really stepped up their bar/cocktail service over the last few years as well. Trader Sam's is much, much better at Land. I will concede that.

World has the better castle.

I honestly just really enjoyed experiencing the differences and taking in a new Disney experience.

Rocket Rods? I just want the people mover back!! Lifetime west coaster and never been to WDW but I almost want to go just to ride the people mover one more time. I loved that ride as a kid at DLR.

While waiting for the Monorail in tomorrow land I overheard a group of teens trying to figure out where to find that ride that used those “other tracks”.

Later talking to some of the older CM working the Monorail about people mover, they told me something was going on with it, but it would likely never return in its entirety if they did bring it back as so much of the old track is in disarray.
Yes, I am with you, please bring the people mover back. Heck, extend it into DCA to move people from one park to another!

Do you think the tickets should just be one price and all allow park hopping? If they did this, they'd double the ticket price. Would you be okay with that?
No. In my dream scenario, there are no reservations and basically one big park. I have no idea what's feasible, possible, likely, or how it affects the parks and people as a whole. It was simply a dream scenario, like I wish we could have a simpler dynamic that was more accessible.

While I'm wishing, I wish we could have Tahitian Terrace back.

No. In my dream scenario, there are no reservations and basically one big park. I have no idea what's feasible, possible, likely, or how it affects the parks and people as a whole. It was simply a dream scenario, like I wish we could have a simpler dynamic that was more accessible.

While I'm wishing, I wish we could have Tahitian Terrace back.
And Big Thunder Ranch!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter