Disneyland or Disneyworld?

OzCath

Mouseketeer
Just interested which you guys prefer. I have been to Disneyland twice, but never Disneyworld. Obviously there are more parks to chose from in Orlando. Starting to think about our next trip. With a 5 year old and two year old I am steering towards Disneyland again as it will be more manageable for the two kids, but am I missing out on not looking at Disneyworld. A few have also said Disneyworld is also much cheaper accom wise. Love to hear what you guys think.

I prefer Disneyland. Love that it is not so spread out, not only the different parks but within the park. We thought that most of our favourite rides were in Disneyland and CA, only a couple in WDW that were missing. The theming seemed better in Disneyland as well. We did like the restaurants in WDW, SciFi, Hoop.de-doo, dining in the castle etc. We loved the dining plan available in WDW, thought it was fantastic. Also loved that we could walk from our hotel in DL whereas in WDW we waited for buses, it wasn't long, but in the time waiting for the bus we could of walked to DL from our hotel. Young kids would favour Magic Kingdom, and most of the rides are in DL anyhow. Personally, unless I was heading for Universal Orlando, I won;t bother with WDW again. I know others would disagree, but that's my preference.

Particularly if you have done Disneyland twice, you MUST do Disneyworld next.
As you say accomodation is cheaper, and in some cases much cheaper, but more importantly you have so many more options both on and off site. Regarding other costs: -
1. the airfares are not much higher to do Orlando, particularly with Delta and United;
2. the tickets are good value, particularly the 10 day;
3. the variety is wider and pricing is lower for character meals which make interaction with the characters much less stressful.
4. the non-park options are extensive.
If staying onsite: -
4. the Disney dining plans are a great option particularly for children your age;
5. the early and late entry allows flexibility, including taking breaks at the hotel.
I have nothing against Disneyland, having just done it again early this year, but I would skip it and do WDW based on your post.

With kids the age of yours, I would tend to lean towards Disneyland. Thats an extra 5+ hour flight that you have to contend with going to WDW. I say leave that until they are a little older.

With DL it is so much more compact and there is plenty to do there with a 2 year old and a 5 year old. You may well be needing to return to the room for rest time during the afternoon with them that little, so at DL would be easier in that respect as everythings closer. You could also take a day trip to Leogland, that is great too, my son absolutely LOVED it there. You can also do day trips to San Diego to the Zoo or Seaworld. There is a lot to do around Disneyland.

Wether at DL or WDW under 3's eat free anyway at buffets or eating off your plate and dining for children is not that expensive at DL so I can't see that the dining plan makes any difference to the price in comparing the two, the dining plan is just convenient having prepaid for meals but the food isn't any more expensive than WDW so it doesn't make any difference if you are paying out of pocket.

I think it really comes down to what best suits your family. Both are fantastic places, I love both. DL is great for a shorter stay (around a week, or two as we did in December :rotfl: ) WDW is better for longer stays as you really need more time to get around to everything. You will have a ball which ever you go to.

Just on dining - A 5yo on the WDW Dining plan would be $12 a day...
That is pretty cheap if you ask me.
And yes the restaurants at DL are more expensive than WDW. It is $33 for the minnie DL character breakfast. It is around $25 for the BEST character breakfast at WDW (1900 park fare) and you can get Ohana Lilo and Stitch for $18.
http://www.wdwplanner.com/characterdining.htm
http://allears.net/din/cb.htm

Generally I think WDW is a much better choice. I mean if you have been to Disneyland twice then you already know what they have to offer so go to WDW this time. You have the Orlando Sea World which is bigger and better than San Diego as well as Busch Gardens on offer if you want more than Disney.

I could go on for days about what makes WDW better...and honestly I am dead after the MAIN flight...tacking on the extra one only makes me slightly more dead...
And it is SOOOO worth it.

There's a saying: "Disney World is for tourists and Disneyland is for purists" :thumbsup2

That's why we're going to WDW for our wedding, the guests aren't Disney nuts like me.

With a 2 and 5 yo - Disneyland definitely. Lugging kids between the parks at WDW isn't fun, - save it until they can get around more under their own steam.
Most of the rides they will enjoy are all at DL anyway, as another poster said.

WDW is a must if you've done DL twice. Kids will be fine on the flight. There is so much to do in WDW and the resort is huge, and also everything you'll need is in the resort. No need for a car or any worries. We like DL alot but also now hooked on WDW. Universal resort in Florida offers more than Hollywood with IOA and Sea World is bigger too.

WDW would be my personal preference, but with such young children I'd probably stick with Disneyland. Movement between the two paks is much easier, and California Adventure has a lovely area for littlies (Bugs Land I think it's called?)

I've been to Disney World 8 times now and I've never been to Disneyland (I am going next year though), so my vote is a little one sided. I'd say if youve never been to WDW then try there, the parks are amazing and if your staying in a Disney hotel the transport that they do is hassle free. I went at New Year and there was nothing I could fault with the shuttle buses. If a bus showed up full, then not 5 minutes later a new shuttle had been sent for.

WDW is an amazing place to visit.

WDW is a must if you've done DL twice. Kids will be fine on the flight. There is so much to do in WDW and the resort is huge, and also everything you'll need is in the resort. No need for a car or any worries. We like DL alot but also now hooked on WDW. Universal resort in Florida offers more than Hollywood with IOA and Sea World is bigger too.

Sounds like WDW has left a good impression on you, at least you can't see LA in the background of photos!

We just came back from 7 days at WDW with three boys (6,8,10). I have been to DL many times. I would definitely recommend WDW. The extra flight was not a drama and the timing is good - you get to WDW resorts at about 11pm, crash in bed and wake up refreshed and ready to go the next morning. Dining plan made it cheap and easy to feed the children and I was amazed at the quality of the resort for the price. Taking the flights ou of the equation, we spent less on a week at WDW than we did at the Queensland theme parks.
The paths at WDW are wider and space for strollers does not seem as congested as DL. THe resorts are amazing whereas I think the DL ones are a bit tired and not themed at all.

Been to both multiple times and would vote for WDW anyday. Disneyland Resort is great but you can knock it off in 3 days at the outside (as you would know having been twice before). If you want to extend the experience you HAVE to go to Orlando. And with the offers staying at a value resort (All Stars inc dining, or staying off property close by in the myriad of cheap hotels, it is not going to be as frightening financially as you may imagine.

Seriously go the extra mile......or a 1000 odd...... and fly to WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter