Disneyland Paris for the most special little boy in the universe!! 25/6-2/7

owensdad

Mouseketeer
Finally getting around to my TR.

So, this trip is our 3rd to DLP since 2009, we adore the place since going the first time which we thought would be the only time with our little boy, Owen.

Owen is 5, he is severely disabled both physically and mentally, his underlying condition is Menkes disease, unfortunately its also terminal and when we got his diagnosis after 2.5 years of tests we were told in a nutshell that he may only live for a few months longer, but he is 5 now and will be 6 in September and is our little star, the light of our lives and we have pretty much dedicated ours to making his a happy one!

Ok, so on this trip we had -

Me! Danny - 36
My significant other! Michelle - 33
The main man! Owen - 5
Little Princess! Olivia - 3
My Mum! Ursula - 63
Niece - Chloe - 15
Niece - Lauren - 13

We hail from in the Midlands so we had a taxi minibus wheelchair van take us to St Pancras on Sunday 24th June which was also my birthday!!

We stayed at the Premier Inn Kings Cross so we could hit the Eurostar refreshed in the morning, we had far too many bags and cases but Owen never travels light! we always need to take his feeds, meds, oxygen, sats monitor, CPAP machine, suction machine etc etc, its a long list!

As usual the Premier Inn was great, nice and clean as expected, so we headed to Nando's up the road for dinner on Sunday evening which was very nice indeed and then after a coffee back to the hotel to get some kip before heading to Disneyland the following day!!!

Here is Owen!!

IMG_3939.jpg

1st day in DLP next!!

Monday 25th June - Disneyland !!!!!!!!

So we all woke up nice and refreshed, had a really nice breakfast at the Premier Inn and headed over to St Pancras to catch our 10:17am Eurostar to Disneyland Paris!!

Here is Owen and me waiting for the train!

IMG_0534.jpg

Waiting at St Pancras.

IMG_0542.jpg

Owen and me on the Eurostar!!

IMG_0547.jpg

Ok, we get into Disneyland at the correct time and head out through the village to the Sequioa Lodge which is our home for the next 8 days.

Unfortunately I never took pics of our room, we had an adapted room which was great, essentially 2 rooms into 1, all freshly refurbed and looking great, just round the corner from reception too which was ideal, we got VIP breakfast tickets too which made it easier. So we unpacked and headed out, we just went straight to the main park and into City Hall to sort Owen's disabled priority card and then a slow walk back through the village ready for dinner at 6pm in Hunters Grill with my brother and his family who arrived the day before. The food was nice and we had plenty of it!

After dinner we head out and my worse fear is realised!! I get dragged on that balloon, Panoramique. I hate heights but this wasn't that bad once it got up there.

My Mum and niece with me in the yellow t-shirt behind.

IMG_3945.jpg

another pic

IMG_3947.jpg

and another

IMG_3946.jpg

After a walk around the village we head back to relax at the hotel for a while, it takes alot out of Owen and it was a long day so we all got some much needed kip and looked forward to the next day.

So far the weather was really good.

Day 2 coming up!!

Tuesday 26th June

We got up ready and raring to go, had a great breakfast at Hunters Grill, they were good enough to just whisk us past the crowd waiting to go in and we got some great seats, perfect start to the day.

After breakfast we meet Mickey in the hotel !!

IMG_3948.jpg

Unfortunately it started to rain as we were looking to venture out into the main park, we waited for a short while and decided to let the rain do its thing and we went swimming in the hotel pool instead. We thoroughly enjoyed it, really nice little pool.

Soon the rain cleared up and we got out into Disneyland Park!

First up we met Duffy, or rather Owen and Olivia did!!

IMG_3954.jpg

Then a walk down to Meet Mickey, not sure why Olivia is gurning in this pic!

IMG_3957.jpg

Then off to meet a princess in the pavillion

IMG_3963.jpg

I must say the disabled priority card was a godsend, as Owen doesn't do any rides really due to the wheelchair then these character meets are a big thing for us, Owen and Olivia just love to interact with them.

So after meeting those characters all in the space of 20 mins we headed on for some more walking, suddenly out of nowhere about 10 metres in front of us come Peter Pan, Wendy, Mr Smee and Capt Hook, they spot us and immediately come over, Peter Pan says 'look here's Owen!', it took a while to figure out how he knew his name but then we realise that Owen has a number plate on his wheelchair with his name on it! Clever guy that Peter Pan!!

Unfortunately no sooner had they came over to us then what seemed like literally everybody in the whole park just came running over like vultures, hounding the characters and sticking autograph books and pens right in their faces, it was awful, then they resorted to heavy pushing and shoving, Peter Pan could see that it wasn't good and that Owen was very close to being pushed over, so he dived in and got a bit angry at the crowd, he shouted 'watch the wheelchair!!' and had a pretty disgusted look on his face at how these people were behaving, it was a horrible minute or so as nobody seemed to realise there was a severely disabled little boy in his wheelchair, all they cared about was trying to get a pic or autograph. So Peter Pan told us to come with him and we all went off with the other characters to a quieter part of the park and had a few moments in peace to have pics taken and the kids can properly meet them.

Here we are -

IMG_3968.jpg

So after that scary moment we carry on, I think we headed for Casey's for some hotdogs for lunch, we've always enjoyed it there and the hotdogs have always been good, although a bit more heat in them wouldn't go amiss.

After lunch we head on out again, trying to do IASW but the wheelchair boat is broken down so no go for today, bit of a shame as its one ride Owen can actually do. We carry on and see the character train in front of the castle just about to stop, we head over to hopefully meet some more characters, again the crowd are like vultures and we couldn't get to see Pluto, we stood as close as possible but no CM was near him and the crowd wouldn't let us anywhere near. After trying for 5 mins we head back to the train and speak to a CM who was great, they told us to wait by the train, a few mins later they roped off the area where the train was and kept us in the area and everyone else out, then Pluto and Goofy came up, just wonderful, Owen loves it and Olivia is very happy too at not having to fight her way into getting a cuddle from Goofy, no sooner were they signing autographs then Mickey turned up and then to top it off Minnie aswell!!! It was a wonderful moment and completely unhindered as the CM were literally holding people back as they were still trying to get through.

Here they are -

IMG_3973.jpg

So we head on down to the Princess Pavillion to see if we can meet another princess!

IMG_3976.jpg

Olivia likes her cuddles !

IMG_3977.jpg

Back to the hotel late afternoon for a break and some relax time before dinner at 6pm again in Hunters Grill, getting to enjoy it in there!

Then some quiet shopping time in the village before getting back into the park and preparing for Dreams!

our spot in the disabled area was perfect -

IMG_3981.jpg

Olivia and Lauren -

IMG_3983.jpg

Owen patiently waiting for it to start -

IMG_3985.jpg

Not the best pic of the show but the only one we have, I was filming it and not really looking at taking pics, the video turned out great though!!

IMG_3989.jpg

I must say Dreams was a wonderful show, really was brilliant to see it in the flesh, i'd watched it on Youtube so knew pretty much what to expect but was so much better in person, just a sublime bit of entertainment which we all loved, Owen and Olivia especially and they did so well staying up so late for it.

So we head back to the hotel, not pleasant trying to get out of the park when everyone is doing the same thing but we get out intact!

Day 3 to follow!

I love your TR :cool1:! Can't wait for the rest now.

I can't believe some people push and shove the way they do! It really annoys me. If people just took there time all would be good.

Many Thanks

I'm glad the characters and CMs did their best for you when it could have been very scary (and dangerous).

Can't wait for the rest of your report:goodvibes

Sounds like a great trip so far and your children are adorable. The character meet and greets are appalling I know; we tried once to see Minnie, but had to give up and never tried again. I'm glad Owen got to see them.

So on Wednesday morning we got up later than the previous day and had another lovely breakfast in Hunters Grill at around 8am.

Back at the room we decide its Hollywood Studios today!

Owen
IMG_3991.jpg

Olivia
IMG_3992.jpg

As we have a slow walk through the village and outside we encounter this strange chap!
IMG_3994.jpg

So, onwards to Hollywood Studios and it's a huuuuuge amount of people trying to get in, I didn't like the idea of standing there for in the heat with Owen for so long so I went to the side of one of the bag checks and had a word with a very nice man who got us through immediately, it made a big difference as Owen can get very cranky in long queue's, many thanks to the kind CM who got us in swiftly.

So no sooner had we entered and we saw Minnie!!
IMG_3996.jpg

My Mum & Olivia
IMG_4001.jpg

Next up we met Buzz!!! Owen just loves Buzz.
IMG_4005.jpg

Afterwards Michelle, Lauren and me went on the RocknRoller Coaster (which was great) we decided it was time for my Mum to go on Tower Of Terror, in the end perhaps not a great idea as she was looking a bit rough when she came off! But she did enjoy it.

Time for some food, a burger and chips was the order of the day, not sure of the name but it was the place in the main building opposite the petrol pump, food was ok but it took forever and a day to actually get the stuff, we sat in the queue for ages then just before our turn somebody in a wheelchair goes to the front and orders, it then struck me that we could have used the disabled card for Owen in the food queue, but not to worry as we were almost there.

Owen is feeling happy and jolly by now!!
IMG_4013.jpg

IMG_4015.jpg

We had a relaxed afternoon in the park, the girls went to TS Playland and we watched the Stars'n'Cars parade then headed back to the hotel for a break, it was a hot day and Owen needed a time out.

So around 6 we headed into the Disneyland Park and met up with my brother and his family again for dinner in the Plaza Gardens, nice food and a nice place to eat, it seemed very similar to Hunters Grill to me.

After dinner we watched the parade !!
IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4018.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

IMG_4024.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

IMG_4031.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

IMG_4034.jpg

IMG_4038.jpg

IMG_4042.jpg

After the parade we headed to the Village for some more retail therapy and then got back to the hotel as the kids were shattered, we had a quick drink in the bar as it was 50 yards away from our room, nice and easy.

By now I think we are all settled into things quite nicely.

Day 4 next.

Great report so far. Looks like you had a wonderful trip.

I know what you mean about 'vulutures'. The behaviour of some people at the parks is sickening. Hope it didn't dampen your spirits much though.

Really enjoying your trip report so far, both kids look like they're having the time of their lives. It's disappointing (though unsurprising) to read about the bad attitudes of other guests, but it does sound as though Disney cast members were great and helped make your trip magical. Especially Peter Pan, well done to him for dealing with the scary crowd!
Can't wait to read more.

Really enjoying your TR. Your children are adorable and look so happy at DLRP!

I'm so pleased to read that CMs and characters tried their best to make things easier for you and Owen :thumbsup2.

Can't wait to read more :goodvibes.

oh i am so late on this, but absolutely love sum of ur pics - told u the magic wud be there for u!!!!

looks like u had no probs with the card then??

owen looks like he was certainly enjoying it :) and as for vultures..... we wont even mention what i was called by a 'blonde piece' as i stopped her pushing her daughter in front of cay whilst another very disabled child was having a few moment with minnie... (i actually cudnt type it as it wud be completely sensored - but lets say she implied i didnt deserve to be there!)

luckily those ppl r very few, and u had sum lovely cms - i love the pic of them all together off the train!!!

Ok, Thursday morning and a lovely sunny atmosphere greets us nice and early, as usual we had a great breakfast at Hunters Grill, by now we seem to be getting the same little spot in there which is quiet and roomy, great for Owen and his wheelchair!

We made our way through the village to the main park, on the way taking a snap of my nieces.
IMG_4046.jpg

We take it easy around the park as we have Tarzan planned for later today and my brother and his family are going home today so we are in for a meal at Cafe Mickey!

We met Pooh!!
IMG_4047.jpg

IMG_4049.jpg

Soon it was time for Tarzan, we were supposed to meet my brother and his family there at 1pm but we were delayed as Owen wasn't feeling good so we took time out to chill in the Wish Lounge. So we caught the show after that, 2pm I think it was. We were first in and got the best spot right at the front and really enjoyed it, the CM's at the front were great and as we waited for the rush of people to exit at the end I asked the CM if it was possible we could meet Tarzan and have a pic, she asked someone higher up and said yes! So out came Tarzan and Jane who were really nice, and then the monkeys came out for some fun and Owen just loved it!!

IMG_4054.jpg

IMG_4055.jpg

IMG_4056.jpg

IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4059.jpg

After we met up with my brother and we all had a really nice meal at Cafe Mickey, although it was a bit of a let down that no characters were there in the afternoon I think we were pretty much the only people in there so it was a really nice atmosphere and almost felt like a private party!

I think we all ended up with an early night as Owen wasn't feeling great and were were all cream crackered by now!

Friday 29th we spent the day at Val D'Europe for some serious shopping, although the taxi was useless and kept us waiting there and back for 2 hours, you would think there would be more wheelchair ready taxi's in the area.

Up next Saturday!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter