Disneyland Questions from First Timers Disney Fans

Thiago Acquaviva

Mouseketeer
Hello guys!

We're finally making plans to visit Disneyland for the first time in 2020!!!
We're HUGE disney fans and we've been in Disney World 4 times in the past 5 years. It's our favorite place in the whole world.
I'm very excited to be able to go to another Disney destination!

I have tons of questions, would love some help please.

1) How is the weather in May?
2) How are the crowds in May (weekdays)?
3) How to get from L.A. to Anaheim?
4) Best quick service restaurants (one from each park)
5) Best table service restaurants (one from each park)
6) Is 4 days (2 each park) enough?

Big big thanks in advance.
It's so good to be back to this amazing board ♥

Hi, Thiago - you're going to love Disneyland! I went to WDW a few times first, but you'll find that DLR can be just as magical, though expect some differences. One note, don't focus on their castle - it's quaint. ;) Instead try to look at the whole picture, with he Matterhorn in the skyline. The little details will really make Disneyland shine. To your questions:

1) The weather is LA is generally perfect, but it can get cool at night. In May it won't be too bad, but expect it to be much less humid than FL so the heat doesn't stay trapped. It is gorgeous!

2) Weekday crowds shouldn't be too bad. Keep in mind that due to the size, Disneyland can feel more crowded because walkways clog. There are more rides per park though, so it spreads things out.

3) Assuming you are coming into LAX, there are some shuttles and rideshares - honestly I like using Lyft or Uber best. It's a pretty good distance though and will cost around 60 to 70 bucks.

4) QS at DLR is much better than at WDW. For DL I like French Market or a corn dog form Little Red Wagon (they really are special!). At DCA, Pacific Wharf Cafe (where they bake fresh sourdough bread) or Award Wieners gets my vote. You'll get lots of votes form others though.

5) I am a big fan of Cafe Orleans in DL - it's cheaper than Blue Bayou with some similar options (monte cristo!). At DCA, I actually do not think I've ever done a TS meal - Carthay Circle is well regarded, but it's high-end.

6) With 4 full days you will have plenty of time to enjoy DLR. I usually do 3 and it's enough, but for first timers, you won't hate having the extra day. If you use MaxPass you can really get a lot done!

One last bit, I will refer you to the invaluable tips from @HydroGuy for WDW visitros to DLR: https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-dlr-guide-for-wdw-vets.1162599/
He's one of the experts around here and I think you will find that helpful.

Have fun!

Last edited:
WOW @BrianL I can't even thank you enough! that was perfect!
HUGE thanks! I really appreciate it!
I'm so happy! :yay:

That's what we're here for. ;) Another tip I can give you is that if you have Park Hoppers you can treat DL & CA like one big park! It is so easy to walk between them and with MaxPass you cam make your FP's on your phone for either park once you enter your first one that day. There are some MaxPass tips threads around too so check those out.

Also, keep in mind that rides that you may think are the same, aren't. There can be small to major differences. Pirates for example is much longer with more show scenes. Space Mountain is a completely different ride, though The Matterhorn may seem oddly familiar. Do not miss Indiana Jones (though it may be familiar too) or Radiator Springs Racers (also similar to something at WDW - well, kind of). The best are all of the classic Fantasyland dark rides though - be sure to enjoy that very classic Disney stuff there.

Oooh! You're gonna have SO much fun! Now to answer your questions....

1) Weather is usually pretty nice in May. I, myself, am cold-blooded, so I will put on a jacket/long pants once the sun goes down (and some days, early morning, too.) My honey is warm blooded, and is happy in shorts and a t-shirt in May.

2) Crowds are a big variable, depending on which particular days you go. I've been in early May, and the crowds were on the lower end. The closer you get toward the end of May, though, the crowds pick up. Grad nights are happening then too... so keep an eye on those dates.

3) I've not flown into LAX for quite a few years, but have heard from several others that the easiest/most efficient way is to Lyft/Uber.

4) Personal favorite quick service: Disneyland; Rancho del Zocalo. California Adventure; Pacific Warf Cafe (specifically for their chicken salad in a bread bowl!)

5) Personal favorite table service: Disneyland; Blue Bayou for ambiance (BUT, we eat more often at Cafe Orleans due to the price.) California Adventure; Carthay Circle.

6) You should be fine with 4 days. I know a lot of people are big park hopper advocates, but when it's your first time, I actually recommend sticking with one park per day. It help you to really 'soak up' the experience of the park you're in.

You guys are the best!
big big thanks! @BrianL and @Princess351 !
We're going to do one park per day, 2 days each park.

I'm confused about this MaxPass thing... does it work like WDW Fastpass except for the rule of having to be inside the park to select them?
And what about the night shows and parade? We're HUGE fans of nightime shows like Fantasmic, Happily Ever After and my beloved Wishes lol

I am a WDW AP for several years & my first trip to DL starts next Thurs for 10 days. If I was to buy a discounted park ticket from AAA or Undercover Tourist will DL let me upgrade it to a Flexpass at guest services? WDW would do that. I'm still not sure if I want to spend the entire 10 days at DL or sightsee elsewhere. Thanks in advance for any help!

Some threads with LOTS of very helpful information for you:
* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- from the sticky threads at the top of the first page -- SO many helpful threads here!
From that sticky:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a classic thread and a must-read for you
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- there are threads here that will answer many of your questions -- look carefully through this list
From the above list:
"Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information" by @3TinksAndAnEeyorewww.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2318297 -- an ongoing superthread with very helpful information
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/
"Detailed Weather Data for DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=23004158
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/ -- so much good information here -- read through the first post and ask all your MP questions in this thread -- you'll get great help!
World of Color Superthread -- read the first post carefully and go over the last few pages for any updates -- then ask any questions in that thread

Last edited:
I am a WDW AP for several years & my first trip to DL starts next Thurs for 10 days. If I was to buy a discounted park ticket from AAA or Undercover Tourist will DL let me upgrade it to a Flexpass at guest services? WDW would do that. I'm still not sure if I want to spend the entire 10 days at DL or sightsee elsewhere. Thanks in advance for any help!
Yes. But DLR does not "bridge" the way WDW does, so be aware of that. DLR takes the price that is coded into the barcode and charges you the difference between that and the AP you purchase. Some discount tickets scan at the full price and some don't. YMMV. Be sure to go to the ticket booths before the end of your last day in the parks to upgrade. And allow time for this -- sometimes this transaction can take a while. Read through Flex Pass Superthread: Disneyland Resort Introduces New Annual Passport that Combines Value and Flexibility for up to date information on that pass and ask any questions there.

Last edited:
Yes. But DLR does not "bridge" the way WDW does, so be aware of that. DLR takes the price that is coded into the barcode and charges you the difference between that and the AP you purchase. Some discount tickets scan at the full price and some don't. YMMV. Be sure to go to the ticket booths before the end of your last day in the parks to upgrade. And allow time for this -- sometimes this transaction can take a while. Read through Flex Pass Superthread: Disneyland Resort Introduces New Annual Passport that Combines Value and Flexibility for up to date information on that pass and ask any questions there.
Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
You are going to love Disneyland! It's so magical to be in the only park Walt stepped foot in. Here are some more answers to your questions:

1) Unless it's the summer, I've found it's best to dress in layers at DLR -- the mornings can be somewhat cool, then it heats up in the afternoon with more sun, and cools down once the sun goes down.

2) When we went in May 2017 it was somewhat busy due to a special SoCal 3 day ticket that was expiring soon before our dates. Keep in mind that crowds are variable at DLR -- they are so hard to predict. But, a good plan will help with any crowd levels!

3) I agree with @BrianL with the suggestion to Uber or Lyft. If you've never used those services before there is usually a sign up bonus for a small discount. I almost always fly out of SNA though since that airport is closer to DLR and much smaller/less busy.

4) At DL I like Rancho Del Zocalo. At DCA I'd pick Smokejumpers or Flo's. Bonus points for Flo's at dusk -- they light up all of the neon in the Carsland area and play the Shaboom song -- very cool! If you plan on doing this it occurs around sunset. You can lookup sunset times for your dates (I use timeanddate.com), or ask a nearby CM.

5) DL is Blue Bayou for me. The food isn't over the top amazing but the atmosphere can't be beat (inside PotC). At DCA I'd pick Carthay Circle.

6) I think 4 days will be great! If possible I'd look into adding park hoppers if you haven't already. DLR is much easier to hop back and forth (you literally just walk across the esplanade to get to the next park). I think it provides a lot of flexibility. If one park is busier than the other you don't have to be stuck toughing it out.

If you think of other questions let us know!

Last edited:
You guys are the best!
big big thanks! @BrianL and @Princess351 !
We're going to do one park per day, 2 days each park.

I'm confused about this MaxPass thing... does it work like WDW Fastpass except for the rule of having to be inside the park to select them?
And what about the night shows and parade? We're HUGE fans of nightime shows like Fantasmic, Happily Ever After and my beloved Wishes lol

MaxPass works like the paper FastPass system used to - you can pull one, then another after a certain time. There is no limit but you can't hold two for the same ride at once. It's really just a way of pulling FP's without having to physically go to the distribution points. For shows like Fantasmic! or World of Color I believe you still need to go to the distribution point and pull a paper one, but it does not count toward your others in the app.

You'll love it. I would take DL over WDW any time. Weather in May should be very nice. Crowds on the weekdays - hopefully good since we are planning to be there in May also lol.

MaxPass works like the paper FastPass system used to - you can pull one, then another after a certain time. There is no limit but you can't hold two for the same ride at once. It's really just a way of pulling FP's without having to physically go to the distribution points. For shows like Fantasmic! or World of Color I believe you still need to go to the distribution point and pull a paper one, but it does not count toward your others in the app.

You can get F! and WoC FP's on the app now too (but as mentioned they don't count as attractions so it won't affect your ability to pull rides).

There are some other nuances to MP as well including that you can get another MP after 90 minutes whereas paper FPs are 2 hours (assuming the return time for your next MP/FP is longer than those times). MP is also the only way to pick up cancelled MPs. This is quite useful. Even when FPs (and in theory MPs) are gone for the day by refreshing frequently in the app you can often pick up cancelled MPs, sometimes they are even near immediate use. Definitely review the MP thread linked above.

...but you'll find that DLR can be just as magical, though expect some differences.
I both agree and disagree with this. That is, I’d say that DL has far more magic than DW. For one, it’s the original park. 2. Walt built and walked in it. 3. There’s real history there. I’ve been to DW twice. I’ve been to DL at least 160 times. Also, I’ve been to all six of the Disney parks in the world. DL is by far my favorite. I’ve no doubt that you’ll love it.

Last edited:
I both agree and disagree with this. That is, I’d say that DL has far more magic than DW. For one, it’s the original park. 2. Walt built and walked in it. 3. There’s real history there. I’ve been to DW twice. I’ve been to DL at least 160 times. Also, I’ve been to all six of the Disney parks in the world. DL is by far my favorite. I’ve no doubt that you’ll love it.

What I mean is, that for someone who is used to WDW, some things in DL can seem a bit less grand at first. Certainly DLR isn't perfect after all, and WDW is also very good. It took me a couple of visits to really warm up to the differences in certain things, and I think that is common. I certainly love Disneyland for sure!

Whenever anyone asks this question (and that's a lot), I always think, "Enough for what?"

Enough to experience all of the major attractions and feel like you've "been to" Disneyland? Yes, it's long enough.
Enough to see and experience everything Disneyland has to offer? Not even close!
Enough to leave feeling like you've done most of what you hoped to do? It's barely long enough for that.
Enough that you're "Disneyed out" for awhile? Nope, you'll be itching to go back before your plane touches down.

For me, the question is, "How long can you afford to spend at Disneyland?" Both in terms of money and vacation time. If that's four days, then four days is the right amount of time for you. But if you have five days available and you can afford it, don't cut it back to four days because you think five might be too many.

It's a great time to go weather wise. You'll need a light jacket after the sun goes down.
Usually very low crowds, but graduation nights can be very busy.
Super shuttle or Lyft
I'm not a big fan of park food, but when I'm hungry enough, I'll figure out something just about anywhere. DL - like the soup/sandwiches/sweets at Jolly Holiday. DCA - I like to go to the food court area because we can all get something different to eat (Asian, Mexican, yummy bread bowls), beer/margaritas, ice cream/shakes and sit easily find a place to sit together.
DL - Blue Bayou mostly for the atmosphere or Carnation Cafe for comfort food. DCA - Carthay Circle - to me it's the best restaurant on the property.
I would say it's enough if you buy park hoppers. It will only take you 5 minutes maximum to walk from one park to the other. We go back and forth almost every visit. There are times where one park can be very crowded and we escape to the other park. Disneyland has longer hours. If you want to spend maximum time in the parks, having park hoppers is the best choice.

If you are stuck with one park per day, you can see/do everything at DCA in the 2 days that you will be there. Not sure about 2 days at Disneyland if you want to see/do everything. I think you'll choose some stuff to skip, but you probably won't care since you've been to WDW several times.

Hello guys!

We're finally making plans to visit Disneyland for the first time in 2020!!!
We're HUGE disney fans and we've been in Disney World 4 times in the past 5 years. It's our favorite place in the whole world.
I'm very excited to be able to go to another Disney destination!

I have tons of questions, would love some help please.

Big big thanks in advance.
It's so good to be back to this amazing board ♥

1. The weather in May is variable. It might be sunny and hot. It might be rainy and cool (or downright COLD). It will likely fall somewhere in between. No way to know until 3 days out from arrival.

2. Crowds in May the last few years have been very heavy because Disney has a Southern California resident promo ticket that expires in May and people flock there all month to use the rest of the days on it, plus school field trips/Grad nights happen and it is the last month many AP holders can visit before a long summer blockout. So, as opposed to WDW which is usually pretty slow in May, DL tends to be crowded.

3. Don't go from LA to Anaheim. Fly into SNA or LGB. You're welcome.

4. Best QS in DL: Tie between Plaza Inn and Docking Bay 7
Best QS in DCA: Flo's V8 Cafe

5. Best TS restaurants: Neither are in a park...Napa Rose at Grand Californian is the absolute BEST, but it is $$$$$. Runners up are Naples and Catal in Downtown Disney. If you MUST eat TS in the parks, Carthay Circle at DCA or Carnation Cafe at DL are the best.

6. 4 days is enough, but I agree with the poster who said go as long as you can based on budget/vacation time.

7. Get Maxpass and Park Hoppers...don't restrict yourself to just one park per day. Hopping is SO easy at Disneyland and really is the best way to manage your time with show schedules and rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter