Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Believe it or not there’s are some people who do not want to see Theme Parks open yet. I talked to one of them yesterday who said “he better not let them open.” He being Newsom.
There are a ton of people. I participate on other social media where people have a great many not-nice things to say about theme parks being open. If/when DL opens, expect it to be controversial (though we will still go!)

Sounds to me like Newsom isn't giving them permission to open and this is Disney trying to sway the mind of the public and in turn his.

I agree with this-- So far this appears to be a continuation of the media offensive that began early last week. My guess is they will distribute a lot of digital media to go along with resulting coverage. So hopefully we will see some of that in the coming days.

More importantly, they can't release material information in this format while markets are open. It wasn't clear if it was starting at 1:00 Eastern or Pacific. As soon as we saw it was 1:00 Eastern, I think that sealed the deal... for today at least.

Here is a thread started by attractions magazine who is there. It has started, and you can follow along:

Tweets in chronological order :)

Stay tuned to this thread as we live Tweet Disney’s 1 p.m. press conference. Disney leaders will provide an update on how they’re making magic while continuing to promote health and safety for their cast, guests and communities. The conference is by invite only. No recording.

The presentation is called “DISNEY PARKS Our Approach to Operating during a Pandemic”

They are talking about all the reopenings they’ve had and saying guests are happy to revisit and are happy with their safety measures.

Djuan Rivers, vice president of Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park, is now speaking about how much it took to shut down and reopen Walt Disney World.

Rivers is now talking about how they have updated their policies as needed, such as banning gaiter masks and making guests stay stationary while eating and drinking.

They are continuing to update their hours and openings for the WDW resorts.

Rivers is talking about how guests have to make reservations, and how this helps them keep crowds lower during holiday weekends.

Now Melissa Valiquette, vice president at Epcot is speaking about how guests are happy with Disney’s safety measures overall.

They won’t give attendance numbers, but they say they are still limiting the parks enough that guests can socially distance. Now they are playing video of some guests talking about how safe they feel and how the masks aren’t as bad as they thought.

Valiquette is now talking about their new character meets and holiday offerings.

Elizabeth Mullins, vice president of Walt Disney World Hotels & Resorts, is now speaking.

She says each park around the world is sharing what has worked well for them with the other parks.

Mullins is talking about how they are keeping cast members safe.

Mullins is speaking about the pixie dust face masks cast wear and how they are the third generation of masks cast have worn, as they continue to make them better.

She is now talking about the NBA Bubble.

Patrick Finnegan, vice president of Disney California Adventure Park & Downtown Disney District, is now speaking from Downtown Disney.

Finnegan is talking about the safety measures at Downtown Disney and how Orange County has moved up (better) the four-tier scale California has. They hope to be able to open the Disneyland parks soon.

Disneyland will also use the reservation system, some virtual queue and other safety measures when their parks reopen. Mobile ordering will be expanded to more places.

They are in the process of finalizing a plan for the Disneyland cast members to be able to get Covid-19 testing.

Finnegan says he walked the Marvel land construction area last week and guests will love it.

Now the last speaker, Josh D’Amaro, Disney Parks, Experiences & Products chairman.

D’Amaro is mostly reiterating what the other speakers have said.

D’Amaro is asking California government officials to let them reopen.

Disney Parks Chairman D’Amaro ended the press conference saying “It’s time” for Disneyland to reopen.

From Attractions Magazine twitter account - "Disney Parks Chairman D’Amaro ended the press conference saying “It’s time” for Disneyland to reopen."

That was a short and sweet "webinar" (or press conference, whatever). And since it seems a little out of place, now I have my radar on.

If there is one thing politicians need (or want) for a big decision, it's: "Cover". IF we get an announcement in the coming hours/days from Sacramento, then today's "odd" event will suddenly make perfect sense.

I wonder if some of the people who are against the parks reopening are coming at it from a "misery loves company" standpoint. I know a lot of people are really angry that schools aren't in person, and I think they'd be fuming if theme parks reopened but parents were still left scrambling trying to figure out what to do about 7 year olds who can't be home alone, but can't go to a school building.

If there is one thing politicians need (or want) for a big decision, it's: "Cover". IF we get an announcement in the coming hours/days from Sacramento, then today's "odd" event will suddenly make perfect sense.

It would be nice if this was a coordinated release with the Californian government. "hey look we are making things safe at Dl" and California's response "ok you can open in X weeks"

I wonder if some of the people who are against the parks reopening are coming at it from a "misery loves company" standpoint. I know a lot of people are really angry that schools aren't in person, and I think they'd be fuming if theme parks reopened but parents were still left scrambling trying to figure out what to do about 7 year olds who can't be home alone, but can't go to a school building.

I think generally the people who are PRO send kids to school are probably the people more likely to attend a theme park, live sporting event, etc.

I think there is some of this, kind of. My kid is in remote kindergarten. It's a disaster on so many levels, not just my childcare needs. But we are lucky - his school is opening for in-person next week. I am very afraid of a resurgence of covid or community spread in my area that would stop his school from opening, or cause it to close again. I can understand parents who do not want theme parks to open because of a perception that it will worsen community spread and prevent children from returning to the classroom. Personally, I've gotten comfortable with the safety measures in place and the evidence that properly run theme parks like Disney do not contribute significantly to community spread. But a LOT of people aren't there yet, and I honestly do get the viewpoint of the mom crying in the bathroom because she can't fight with her five year old for one more minute about whether that is a 'p' or a 'q', even if I really don't think Disney will have an affect on school openings.

Odd to me considering theme parks have shown they take safety seriously.

I think there is a serious disconnect of what Disney is like if you haven't gone recently. Even before all this, I would hear comments from work colleagues or friends like 'Why would you want to go and just stand in lines all the time?' There's such an association that Disney=large crowds that's hard to dispel. People don't understand that even before the pandemic we had things like FastPass, touring strategies, etc. Most of the comments I hear that are anti-opening for Disney are from folks that don't usually go to the parks anyways so likely aren't familiar with how safe they're making it right now. Which is a good reason to get that positive PR out there so that negative association starts to diminish.

I've said this before on this thread but comparing theme parks to schools shouldn't even be a consideration. We feel safe traveling to Disney this winter but I don't feel confident in sending my 10 year back to his elementary school yet (if they even open) which is why we opted for virtual learning. The two scenarios are just so completely different. I've worked in education my whole life from K-12 to now in higher education and it's just waaaay more complicated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter