Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

My friend keeps telling me to get off this board and stop reading these rumors because it's just giving me anxiety. And I'm starting to think she's right lol! At this point, we really don't know what to believe until we actually see the guidelines. Grain of salt people, grain of salt!
I even wanted to post about an hour ago "Everyone take a deep breath. They're only rumors..."

Has anyone gotten the weekly Thursday cancellation email from Disney yet? The last couple of weeks they have gone out early and blogs have had Twitter posts by now.

My DVC reservation for 10/22 is still there. But I looked at the DVC calendar and I would be willing to bet that all reservations through 10/21 have now been cancelled. The calendar was wide open 10/15-10/21 for all room types. So, reservations cancelled but they have not yet blocked the calendars for those dates yet.

My DVC reservation for 10/22 is still there. But I looked at the DVC calendar and I would be willing to bet that all reservations through 10/21 have now been cancelled. The calendar was wide open 10/15-10/21 for all room types. So, reservations cancelled but they have not yet blocked the calendars for those dates yet.
Thank you for this. Please let us know if you hear anything official!

ETA: The DIS article
UPDATE: Disneyland Cancels Resort Hotel Reservations Through October 17th

Last edited:
When I go to the DL website, they don't have anything pop open for any of the onsite hotels until 11/01.

I'd guess a distance limitation would really, really continue to hurt Anaheim hotels if implemented. Candy Cane already cancelled our reservation the last week of October. How many people within 120 miles would even get hotel rooms? I'm guessing it will also continue to hurt local restaurants too. Disney will get money from admissions, food, merchandise either way since I'm assuming people will just want to stay in the park all day for entertainment and food if they are lucky to get into the parks.. But the local businesses, still incredibly bad for them I'd think.

Thank you for this. Please let us know if you hear anything official!

DVC never sends actual cancellations for the reservations. One finds out when checking his/her dashboard. But I put in for a reservation and the availability for 10/15-10/21 is wide open and that is not normal which is why I think those are now cancelled too.

When I go to the DL website, they don't have anything pop open for any of the onsite hotels until 11/01.

DVC bookings are through the DVC member site and uses different inventory. They have not blocked new bookings prior to 11/1 as of yet, but I would assume that will eventually happen there too.

I wonder what this would mean for DVC owners (because a majority are out of town). It’s not as simple as cancelling a reservation and getting your money back, like with the hotel reservations. Sure, you’ll get your points back, but points are allocated the way they are for a reason. Having a massive surplus of points kicked down the road will throw the whole reservation system/availability into a tailspin. And if these are in fact the restrictions in place, will they continue with the relaxed policies on banking/borrowing if they open up the resort? Pretty sure most people wouldn’t use their points to stay at VGC without a theme park to go to..

I'd guess a distance limitation would really, really continue to hurt Anaheim hotels if implemented. Candy Cane already cancelled our reservation the last week of October. How many people within 120 miles would even get hotel rooms? I'm guessing it will also continue to hurt local restaurants too. Disney will get money from admissions, food, merchandise either way since I'm assuming people will just want to stay in the park all day for entertainment and food if they are lucky to get into the parks.. But the local businesses, still incredibly bad for them I'd think.

Actually more locals than you probably realize do staycations at Disneyland. I live about 15 miles (20 minutes usually) from Disneyland and I do 3-4 staycations (2-3 nights each) at Disneyland each year. We always do July for the anniversary, one during the holiday season, and often one around my birthday. I own DVC at VGC so we love staying there and doing the parks for a few days while relaxing a few days away from home. And right about now, I would love for ANY of my VGC reservations (October, November, January) to happen as the thought of spending a few days away from home surrounded by 4 different walls sounds heavenly. I would even go without the parks being open to just get away.

I wonder what this would mean for DVC owners (because a majority are out of town). It’s not as simple as cancelling a reservation and getting your money back, like with the hotel reservations. Sure, you’ll get your points back, but points are allocated the way they are for a reason. Having a massive surplus of points kicked down the road will throw the whole reservation system/availability into a tailspin. And if these are in fact the restrictions in place, will they continue with the relaxed policies on banking/borrowing if they open up the resort? Pretty sure most people wouldn’t use their points to stay at VGC without a theme park to go to..

DVC is a mess right now with just the 3 month closure at WDW. There are a lot of people losing points (most likely me included) that were banked previously and cannot be banked again. For some use years, there have been slight extensions to the points due to the closures (neither of my use years are one). Many, many people banked all or most of their points this year (me included - I banked over 350 points) and many have had points unborrowed from next use years when cancelling (not me, I am on banking end). They have put in place that only 50% of points can be borrowed from your next use year and that has many who are perpetual borrowers unhappy. If you go to the DVC board, you can read about the many issues.

At this point since I have no plans to visit WDW until maybe spring (I have it booked and will decide in a few months whether it will happen), I am just trying to use the last of my banked 2018 points that will expire 12/1 and banked 2019 points that expire 2/1. Those are currently on my October and January reservations with about 10 on my November reservation. The November one also has current use year points too that I cannot move right now since I booked during home resort priority booking.

Distance restriction is a travel ban. If there is not a universal travel ban and it only applies to theme parks that sounds a whole lot like discrimination.

If I can load up the family and head to the beach and mingle amongst those within the non-banned areas then what's the difference of entering a more restrictive bubble such as Disney?

Gotta love rumors.

DVC is a mess right now with just the 3 month closure at WDW. There are a lot of people losing points (most likely me included) that were banked previously and cannot be banked again. For some use years, there have been slight extensions to the points due to the closures (neither of my use years are one). Many, many people banked all or most of their points this year (me included - I banked over 350 points) and many have had points unborrowed from next use years when cancelling (not me, I am on banking end). They have put in place that only 50% of points can be borrowed from your next use year and that has many who are perpetual borrowers unhappy. If you go to the DVC board, you can read about the many issues.

At this point since I have no plans to visit WDW until maybe spring (I have it booked and will decide in a few months whether it will happen), I am just trying to use the last of my banked 2018 points that will expire 12/1 and banked 2019 points that expire 2/1. Those are currently on my October and January reservations with about 10 on my November reservation. The November one also has current use year points too that I cannot move right now since I booked during home resort priority booking.

Same. We live 12 miles away.

IF the distance thing is true, the actual theme parks will have NO problems reaching 25% capacity every day. Truth is, prior to the pandemic, somewhere around 85% of DLs daily visitors came from within a 120 mile radius. They can easily fill the parks with that radius. However, it would be devastating for the local hotels and other businesses. I imagine if this happened, DLR would only open one hotel and consolidate operations there.

We own at VGC as well (unfortunately out of state), and I’m curious if the contract has legal speak to not being able to use the property you purchased. It had always been in the back of our mind that Disney may, on the VERY remote chance, go bankrupt. But we never thought they would still be in business and not get to use the property because of state imposed regulations.

We own at VGC as well (unfortunately out of state), and I’m curious if the contract has legal speak to not being able to use the property you purchased. It had always been in the back of our mind that Disney may, on the VERY remote chance, go bankrupt. But we never thought they would still be in business and not get to use the property because of state imposed regulations.

The response I see is that you can still use it at the other properties (WDW, Aulani, HH, or Vero), so it is my choice to not be using it since I want to at VGC so not much sympathy. I do not agree as I bought VGC points (and paid a lot for them) to use them exclusively at VGC (I have SSR and AKV points that I use to sleep around). I am hoping that DVC will come out with some guidance for December UY owners from VGC that will at least extend those points a little bit. Losing those would sting more than any others.

I know it's a rumor, but it falls in line with how cautious Newsom is. He would be allowing this sector to open but only to people within 120 miles until the county reaches yellow. For DLR specifically, like many have mentioned, it would be odd that people can travel to dtd and even stay at a hotel if they want, but cant enter the park. That's just really really odd and nullfifies the purpose of the 120 rule. But we'll see. If I can't until a vaccine is released then so be it, but I hope that isn't the case.

Maybe the rumor was generated in an attempt to force the state to deny the rumor? Like playing 20 questions with the guidelines? “Is there going to be a distance limitation?” “Can you open before yellow?” “Is it going to be 10% capacity and you have to wear a pool-noodle hat?”

Can I say that 120 is a weird number. 100 or 150 makes more sense (in my head). Is there a big city or area right between 120 an 150 miles they would like to exclude?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter