Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

The announcement says "after July 4," not that Newsom will announce anything on July 4.

Come on Cali- behave on the 4th and wear those masks so we can get those cases down!

Feeling pretty bummed today. I suppose we can assume Oogie Boogie is a guaranteed no go. I’m going back and forth on what to do but I suppose I have plenty of time to make up my mind before our October trip. I’m a little hesitant about considering the holidays with all this proposed second wave we might get but I guess there’s no way to know what’s going to happen. Which. makes. me. crazy.

Does anyone else feel a little salty DL/DCA is the only park still in limbo with their reopening plans?! Don't get me wrong, I understand the reasoning. But it's still frustrating. Maybe I just have a severe case of FOMO lol

Totally. I think it’s hard to not have a date to plan for. It wouldn’t be as frustrating if the date itself was delayed and we were given a new one to plan for. We’re just back to square one.

Safety first and I worry about y’all out in CA as we watch the news about the cases rising. 😳 So it’s reasonable but doesn’t remove the frustration. I’m more mad at people not listening to mask requirements/distancing/etc. than anything. Feel like I keep losing recess because the other kids won’t behave.

Does anyone else feel a little salty DL/DCA is the only park still in limbo with their reopening plans?! Don't get me wrong, I understand the reasoning. But it's still frustrating. Maybe I just have a severe case of FOMO lol
On the bright side, we do get the advantage of seeing what happens with the other parks, especially WDW. Hopefully, DLR will be watching all the things that can go wrong and make things better by the time we reopen (which, pixie dust, won't be too far in the future). You're right that it's not fun being last, but if it means our reopening will go more smoothly, I'll take it. Know what I mean?

100% Especially because I have a sneaking suspicion that a large part of the reason has to do with safety guidelines and the unions. I was ready short of a reservation and now realizing that WDW APs will be able to make reservations tomorrow makes it that much worse.

Yep! I thought it was interesting that they pointed out that all other parks would be opening before DL in the first paragraph of yesterday's statement. Most of my saltiness is coming from the fact they haven't extended expirations on regular tickets yet, though! Just do it already, Disney. I do see the bright side that DL won't be the reopening Guinea pig, however.

Last edited:
It’s really bumming me out right now to be honest. When plans were announced for Disneyland‘s reopening to me it felt like things were starting to return to normal. That there might be light at the end of the tunnel. Then we had the protests which added another layer of unrest to this Covid season (which I think contributed to rising positive tests). I just don’t like all this uncertainty. Then receiving signs of hope and taking it away. Just not good times right now. I know there are a lot more important things to worry about than a theme park but still sometimes it’s hard to stay positive.
Totally feel the same. Super bummed today. I can't bring myself to tell my kids yet....hoping we hear something the week of July 6th and that we will still be able to go on our early August trip....

Our 30 day countdown started yesterday so my daughter actually crossed out the number 30 and then bam! we get this announcement last night. We also ordered my husband a "May the 40th Be With You" shirt to wear at DL on his 40th birthday July 25 :(

I'm not changing anything until California gives the go-ahead and DL comes up with an updated opening date. Fingers crossed July 24th - 30th can still happen, but realistically I'm guessing no. With Labor Day being so late this year (our school district always starts the Tuesday after Labor Day because of our county fair), we may change it to be August 28 - September 3. Hoping DL/DCA are both open by then :)

Ok so I don't know how to post links here but according to Scott Gustin and Disney they are re-theming splash mountain to Princess and the Frog. They claimed this was already in the pipelines for a year now......

I’m having JNCO jeans flashbacks of tripping and falling down. All. The. Time.

JNCO :rotfl2:
If that means being in the 90s again (vs this 2020 dumpster fire) I'll take it.

The union holdup is exactly what I thought too.
100% Especially because I have a sneaking suspicion that a large part of the reason has to do with safety guidelines and the unions. I was ready short of a reservation and now realizing that WDW APs will be able to make reservations tomorrow makes it that much worse.

I'm reading the way the statement is crafted pretty closely this morning. I think the primary hold-up is, in fact, the failure to progress with union discussions. It's much less inflammatory to blame the state not releasing guidelines than your unions for not signing on yet. Even with the state, they made it clear it was a time-to-prep issue.

Feeling pretty bummed today. I suppose we can assume Oogie Boogie is a guaranteed no go. I’m going back and forth on what to do but I suppose I have plenty of time to make up my mind before our October trip. I’m a little hesitant about considering the holidays with all this proposed second wave we might get but I guess there’s no way to know what’s going to happen. Which. makes. me. crazy.

I went from being disappointed to having a sense of overwhelming relief, I was actually dreading the decision process I would have to make if I got a park reservation in the opening month. This kind of made the decision for me--I was already down the road of cancelling all remaining 2020 travel plans related to DL, this solidifies it.

I make myself feel better in that I've had longer stints away from the parks before (it was once-a-year as a kid, and there was a 4-5 year stretch while living on the east coast).

But I'm back to being bummed, mostly for my daughter and for families with trips planned or in limbo, but also for the local AP crowd because I really did enjoy seeing the steady stream of Disney crowding my social media feed throughout the year.

I'm definitely feeling this way. Especially in regards to WDW. For those people in Florida who have plans to visit when it opens, I'm happy for those people. But Florida actually has more Covid cases per 100k than California does. Just goes to show that it is definitely a government decision and not a Disney one. Florida's Governor wants their Disney resort to open. California's, not so much

Last edited:
I'm definitely feeling this way. Especially in regards to WDW. For those people in Florida who have plans to visit when it opens, I'm happy for those people. But Florida actually has more Covid cases per 100k than California does. Just goes to show that it is definitely a government decision and not a Disney one. Florida's Governor wants their Disney resort to open. California's, not so much
Yeah and even with our rising cases California still hasn't been added to any travel advisories (unless the state puts one for all incoming visitors like Hawaii). *Sigh* Guess we will all just have to be patient...

What are you guys with impacted resort reservations doing? I have a one-night stay at VGC for 7/23 and a one night stay at PPH for 7/24. As those are the first days of hotel openings, they will be cancelled, but I'm not sure whether I should call and cancel or wait to see the new dates to attempt to modify (my VGC won't be able to be changed as its all booked up).

What are you guys with impacted resort reservations doing? I have a one-night stay at VGC for 7/23 and a one night stay at PPH for 7/24. As those are the first days of hotel openings, they will be cancelled, but I'm not sure whether I should call and cancel or wait to see the new dates to attempt to modify (my VGC won't be able to be changed as its all booked up).
We are booked at PPH starting 8/1 and are waiting to see whether any guest recovery is offered. It doesn’t make any difference whether we cancel now or in a month, so we are just sitting on it to see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter