• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland to San Francisco?

Oh, laughing soooo hard at the 5 - 6 hour travel time estimates from DL to SF! :rotfl2:

We lived in West LA - near Santa Monica - and drove to Santa Clara frequently. We used to take the 5 but soon learned that the 101 was much quicker for us. We did that trip in 6 hours - like clock-work. One stop in San Luis Obispo at the Apple Farm for lunch. And the hour lunch was not counted in the drive time.

Now, DL was an hour south of us, and SF was an hour north of Santa Clara. So that would make it 8 hours minimum drive time.

San Diego would be a much shorter trip, and there is lots of stuff to do there as well. Have fun with whatever you decide!

:earsgirl:

We are doing the same thing in September...but are skipping the drive from Disney to San Fran. Jet Blue has shuttle seats from Long Beach to Oakland for $39...flight is an hour or so...seemed easier and faster for us...especially with the price of fuel on the west coast :)

CAD3655 said:
We are doing the same thing in September...but are skipping the drive from Disney to San Fran. Jet Blue has shuttle seats from Long Beach to Oakland for $39...flight is an hour or so...seemed easier and faster for us...especially with the price of fuel on the west coast :)

This is a great price!!! We just paid $194 rt OAK to SNA (John Wayne, Orange County). Oakland is a great airport!! I hate it when we have to use SFO!

No idea what I'm getting into but what is AMTRAK like from San Fran to
Anaheim? Time wise and cost?

We have three weeks and hope to see San Fran, Disney and San Diego.

I priced Amtrak's "Coast Starlight" for myself, DH and our 3 DDs for next June and got a price of $185 for All 5 of us one way! I thought that was pretty good! It leaves Oakland in the Morn and arrives in LA at night! Out of all of Amtrak's routes, this offers a scenic and coastal view! We are Flying into San Francisco, amtraking to LA, drive to Anaheim( majority of our stay), drive to San Diego then fly home. The trip should take us 12-13 days!

wee-haggis said:
No idea what I'm getting into but what is AMTRAK like from San Fran to
Anaheim? Time wise and cost?

We have three weeks and hope to see San Fran, Disney and San Diego.
I've never done it, but my DH and I have talked about it. Just remember that you will get off in Oakland or Emeryville and need to get across the bridge to San Francisco. It's not a big deal, there are several ways, but it's something to keep in mind.
Also look into taking it from San Diego up. The coast route is supposed to be a great ride!

We had friends who tried to take the Coast Starlight back from their DL trip. The train was 7 hours delayed and they did not know until they were waiting in the station. They ended up deciding to rent a car and drive. By the time they arrived home by car, the train had just left Anahiem. They asked at the station if it was rare that the train ran that late and were told "it runs late all the time and is expected to do so until at least the end of October," but they did not give any explanations as to why. I know if the train is late on arrival and the crew has worked a full shift, then by law they must be allowed a certain number of hours sleep before the train can leave again.

I'm sure the views are great, but unless you like to sit around train stations... I would think twice about taking Amtrak in CA.

I took Amtrak from San Diego to Los Angeles last summer, and not only were the trains on time and the staff efficient, we arrived at Union Station early! It was only a couple of hours, and a very peaceful ride. I recommend it highly.

The train that was running late was runs from Anaheim to Oregon via the SF Bay area. This just happened in July, so maybe the lateness is a recent thing. Who knows? :confused3

Well, hopefully your friends' bad experience was just an isolated incident. I highly doubt Amtrak conducts (haha, no pun intended! :)) their business that way on a daily basis.

And to answer the original question, I'd allow at least 7 hours to travel from Anaheim to San Francisco.. although I've been in a vehicle that made the trip in 4 hours. No kidding. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter