• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Unveils Plans For Theme Park, Retail, and Parking Expansion.

If I'm understanding this correctly..... none of these plans are concrete, right? This whole announcement is just Disney trying to pressure the City of Anaheim to change the zoning for these areas?

Anaheim is going to get their pound of flesh and jot of blood as well, Relations between Disney and Anaheim are 'not good' to 'bloody awful' at the moment so what is Anaheim getting. If Disney thinks 'nothing' well this project is dead in the water

Anaheim is going to get their pound of flesh and jot of blood as well, Relations between Disney and Anaheim are 'not good' to 'bloody awful' at the moment so what is Anaheim getting. If Disney thinks 'nothing' well this project is dead in the water

Um...Anaheim will get money in the form of tax revenue so they can pay back the $200M loan they just took out.

Relations between Disney and Anaheim are currently good. Not sure what you are talking about.

Um...Anaheim will get money in the form of tax revenue so they can pay back the $200M loan they just took out.

Relations between Disney and Anaheim are currently good. Not sure what you are talking about.

There's always a little push and pull between DLR and the City of Anaheim - it usually works out though. They are absolutely positioning this to get support from the public to leverage the city a little. It's just a game they play. I think relations were bad over that gatewway project and big hotel, but it's probably smoothed over now. I don't know that Disnye will get everything that they want, but it's jsut part of doing business.

I think it's very ambitious, considering they have to get the general plan amended in order to do what they want to do (not that it's difficult to get the general plan amended, it's just time consuming)

I doubt that. If anything, Disney is probably working on the theory that Anaheim is for the first time in a long time wondering what the city would look like if its single largest revenue generator closed up shop. That was pretty inconceivable a few years back. It's not particularly likely today, of course, but it surely seems more possible to Anaheim right now than it might in two years time.

I know these plans are only preliminary, but I don’t like this direction. I’d rather see them develop the area around the hotels with retail, dining, and entertainment and leave the strawberry field for a third park.

What I think Disneyland is gonna try to do is copy Santana Row which is a shopping district in San Jose CA and try to put more stores and restaurants as an addition to Downtown Disney and perhaps build a fourth hotel to go with it. I mean Universal Studios has the exact same thing with the Universal CityWalk and Disneyland got inspired by them to do it. I think the retailers that will possibly be featured will be Best Buy Kohl's a two floor Target Apple Store and many other stores and I can imagine how new restaurants will do in this shopping district expansion for Disneyland and most likely it will feature a supermarket such as Ralph's in it too. Because for some reason some shopping districts in cities like having supermarkets in them too. And as for entertainment I think Disneyland will put in a huge theater for concerts and have clubs geared for adults too. But however the plan goes for this expansion it will surely bring a lot of money to Disneyland and gain a new audience

I know these plans are only preliminary, but I don’t like this direction. I’d rather see them develop the area around the hotels with retail, dining, and entertainment and leave the strawberry field for a third park.
Oh yeah,
No way they should make strawberry fields another hotel/shopping. Might not be large enough for a third gate now but I think they could probably afford to purchase some property around it.
And I was getting all excited when they mentioned DisneySea as an inspiration...

What I think Disneyland is gonna try to do is copy Santana Row which is a shopping district in San Jose CA and try to put more stores and restaurants as an addition to Downtown Disney and perhaps build a fourth hotel to go with it. I mean Universal Studios has the exact same thing with the Universal CityWalk and Disneyland got inspired by them to do it. I think the retailers that will possibly be featured will be Best Buy Kohl's a two floor Target Apple Store and many other stores and I can imagine how new restaurants will do in this shopping district expansion for Disneyland and most likely it will feature a supermarket such as Ralph's in it too. Because for some reason some shopping districts in cities like having supermarkets in them too. And as for entertainment I think Disneyland will put in a huge theater for concerts and have clubs geared for adults too. But however the plan goes for this expansion it will surely bring a lot of money to Disneyland and gain a new audience

No way will Disney do anything remotely like this. There are already numerous shopping centers a stone's throw from the parks that feature all these stores. Disney would have no reason to be a landlord for yet another Target or Best Buy. Anaheim is suburbia. It's not a major city.

The closest thing that they might try to emulate is something like a food hall or an open air marketplace style set up. In this kind of setting, they can have dedicated spaces for live music or other live entertainment (like a small fountain show or similar).

No way will Disney do anything remotely like this. There are already numerous shopping centers a stone's throw from the parks that feature all these stores. Disney would have no reason to be a landlord for yet another Target or Best Buy. Anaheim is suburbia. It's not a major city.

The closest thing that they might try to emulate is something like a food hall or an open air marketplace style set up. In this kind of setting, they can have dedicated spaces for live music or other live entertainment (like a small fountain show or similar).

I tend to agree. I look at this "submission" as merely a placeholder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter