Disneyland Wagon

smartlabelprint

DIS Veteran
Hi. We’ve used our wagon at Disneyland. Have any of you been approved a wagon for cognitive disabilities?

My 8 yo is too big for a stroller and we have a 4 yo as well.

We finally got approval for my 9 yo to get an adult stroller. I’ve been reading in disability groups that seem to primarily consist of WDW travelers and they are not seeing wagons in the parks.

All of our kids have disabilities.

I’ve been reading in disability groups that seem to primarily consist of WDW travelers and they are not seeing wagons in the parks.
Are you asking about DL? Or WDW? I'm not sure of your situation, so it's always possible that specific circumstances would be approved. But generally speaking it can be very difficult (if not nearly-impossible) to get a wagon tagged as "stroller-as-wheelchair" at WDW. Wagons are not even supposed to be allowed into the parks, though apparently people to manage to get them in. But getting the SAW tag means a stop at Guest Relations where you would probably be told the wagon is not allowed and to take it back to your car or resort.

Hi. We’ve used our wagon at Disneyland. Have any of you been approved a wagon for cognitive disabilities?

My 8 yo is too big for a stroller and we have a 4 yo as well.

We finally got approval for my 9 yo to get an adult stroller. I’ve been reading in disability groups that seem to primarily consist of WDW travelers and they are not seeing wagons in the parks.

All of our kids have disabilities.
Have you looked into getting wheelchairs instead of strollers for the older kids?

Have you looked into getting wheelchairs instead of strollers for the older kids?
I have an adaptive stroller for my 9 yo. But I’m not comfortable pushing 3 strollers through the park. If their main reason to cut down on strollers is to make more space in the park it’s sure illogical!

We've seen wagons with a medical tag in the parks. Saw several in DL last week.
Thanks. I should have listed Disneyland. We’ve used it there before. The majority of people posting in disability groups on other platforms are at Disney world where they seem to be accepting them on a very, very, very limited basis. I wondered if it was similarly strict at DL.

Are you asking about DL? Or WDW? I'm not sure of your situation, so it's always possible that specific circumstances would be approved. But generally speaking it can be very difficult (if not nearly-impossible) to get a wagon tagged as "stroller-as-wheelchair" at WDW. Wagons are not even supposed to be allowed into the parks, though apparently people to manage to get them in. But getting the SAW tag means a stop at Guest Relations where you would probably be told the wagon is not allowed and to take it back to your car or resort.
Ok. It’s Disneyland. Security won’t let you let a wagon through at Disneyland without a red tag. I don’t think I’ll need a blue tag on the wagon. Only on my other child’s adaptive stroller.

Thank you for so many responses everyone!

Wagons tend to get approved only if there is medical equipment that needs to be with the child that won't fit in a stroller, or if there is a medical issue (like legs can't be bent, etc) that makes it impossible for a child to be in a stroller. At least that's what I've read online and seen at WDW. DL may be different, but I don't think not having enough adults to push adaptive devices or that a child has outgrown strollers are reasons I've ever seen approved. I hope you have a back up plan.

I have an adaptive stroller for my 9 yo. But I’m not comfortable pushing 3 strollers through the park. If their main reason to cut down on strollers is to make more space in the park it’s sure illogical!
It's not the 'footprint' on the ground that is the issue with wagons. It's the visual space they take above the ground. Wagons are like big boxes blocking the view of everyone - kind of like if you are on a highway full of big trucks. There were issues with people pushing wagons hitting other people because their vision is obstructed, especially with the 'roof' up

It's not the 'footprint' on the ground that is the issue with wagons. It's the visual space they take above the ground. Wagons are like big boxes blocking the view of everyone - kind of like if you are on a highway full of big trucks. There were issues with people pushing wagons hitting other people because their vision is obstructed, especially with the 'roof' up
Yes, some people have that type. But I don’t. A lot of stroller wagons are now being made lower to the ground. I wish they had made a height restriction instead of outlawing them.

Yes, some people have that type. But I don’t. A lot of stroller wagons are now being made lower to the ground. I wish they had made a height restriction instead of outlawing them.

Here’s an example.
That's the same type of stroller wagons I saw a lot of at WDW before they started prohibiting them. Some have the huge 'roofs' and others didn't. Even without the roof, the stroller wagons take up more visual space than strollers do and make it seem more congested. It's not much of issue when there are not a lot, but the number gradually increased at WDW from a few to maybe 30-40% of people using strollers with wagons. That many make quite a difference in how congested it feels.

Both WDW and Disneyland give exceptions for medical needs/disabilities, but the exception is given at the park. People have posted they need to explain why a stroller won't meet their needs and they require a wagon. There is the possibility of being turned down, so having a plan B is important

Just chiming in, when the restrictions first started at Disneyland they were a bit easier to get through, from what DH and I have seen, it seems to be getting much harder to get them approved. If entering from the Harbor side, we have seen security walk people with wagons to the stroller rental, have the stroller rental location hold the wagon and the people rented a stroller. I don’t know how they handle it at the parking lot/Downtown Disney checkpoints. But the point is, definitely have a backup plan.

Maneuverability and the ability to pull them versus push is also a reason they were banned. You can’t pull anything, even a standing board behind a stroller. I bet by the end of summer they ban the Hulken bags that people drag around.

Maneuverability and the ability to pull them versus push is also a reason they were banned. You can’t pull anything, even a standing board behind a stroller. I bet by the end of summer they ban the Hulken bags that people drag around.
I am shocked those get through, I would say they are already prohibited under:
  • Suitcases, backpacks or similar bags with wheels

That makes sense, wagons look like a big tripping hazard.

On another note, I want one of those Hulken bags now. Not for Disney, but just in general.

That makes sense, wagons look like a big tripping hazard.

On another note, I want one of those Hulken bags now. Not for Disney, but just in general.
I despise them. All the dance moms have them at competitions. Because the handle is soft there is very little control over them as you drag them behind you. They whip them around corners or stop and let the bag stop in the middle of the walkway. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve seen get their toes or heels hit by one or seen someone trip over one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter