Disneyland was AWFUL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a WDW person but can honestly say I’ve never experienced one of these “low crowd” days people talk about except one day in 100 degrees in Sept and the Christmas party in early Dec 2019.

I mean, it cant possibly be worse than pre Covid week after Easter at WDW right?

Wow, what a stark difference from what we experienced for our first trip on the same days you were there! We never felt unsafe, we rode 20 rides on Tuesday (most of the times posted on the app were exaggerated), we never had a problem finding food (we had reservations in DTD and also utilized mobile order several times a day while in the park). We traveled with our 12 year old and 8 year old and each one of us had a permanent smile on our face the entire time. We did two full days in each park. We went into the trip with no expectations and it was the most magical & merry time. We were suppose to be in Aulani last week but decided to change plans and travel closer to home due to Covid. Disneyland/CA was an excellent replacement for us. So for anyone who read the title of this post and thought "oh no!", rest assured that Disneyland is still the happiest place on earth. :)

You bring your own attitude and make your own experience sometimes. You being there on the same days had a great time.

The most miserable I ever saw it was the last night of MSEP when it was first going away in ‘96. You talk about miserable. Pretty sure there was almost 100k guests in the park that night. Couldn’t even watch the parade that night. Best I could do is wait in line for 3 hours for the Matterhorn and watch it while going to down the slopes. Still one of the most memorable times of my life at 12 years old. I worked some miserable times as a Cast Member but this time took the cake.

There are different Disney experiences for all different types of people. I’m sure that when that big Star Wars cruiser thing opens up, there will be people who think that is the only thing worth doing. The World has special things about it; DLand has its own qualities. Never the Twain shall meet. If it’s not your cup of tea, then let it go.

While I recently posted about the street people in Anaheim, it’s not THAT bad. Just be wary of strangers, especially ones shouting or talking to themselves. That’s a good practice WHEREVER YOU ARE. It happens anywhere. That said, I’ve walked down to that Garden District where California Pizza Kitchen is with no worries and clear up to Mimi’s Cafe and Panera on the other end and never felt unsafe. We’ve become friends with the people working at the little shops down by Subway and CVS, as well as the market next to Candy Cane.

I love both places lIke I love relatives: equally but different. And that’s ok.
Just sorry you had a miserable time, not knowing what to expect.

We all put too much pressure on ourselves and on Disney to create the perfect experience - even if just for ourselves. Best advice I got before my first trip was from a close friend:

"Someone's going to have at least one meltdown a day, and it will probably be you. At some point ,your child is going to refuse to walk and you'll just have to stand there while he sits for a minute on the sidewalk in Magic Kingdom. You won't sleep and the cost of food is outrageous. But we love it so much we go back every year" Didn't prevent those meltdowns or make food cheaper, but it's helped me keep perspective most of the time, at least once I'm in the parks.

Don't judge DLR overall by what you are experiencing right now. We are WDW vets, who have also been going to DLR every year since 2010 except for 2020 because we fell in love with it. What we experienced in October 2021 was not the Disneyland we have known for the last 10 years. Both DH and I commented that if that was our first trip we can see how people decide never to go back. It was ridiculously crowded, the lines were awful for everything, there was no FP (or Genie +), trying to get a VQ was a nightmare, the offerings were limited. This was the first time it definitely was not worth the money we spent on the trip. The Oogie Boogie Bash was the only really completely enjoyable time in the parks like we are used to our entire trip being.

DLR actually has a ton of really good counter service food options. We think the CS options are a lot better at DLR than WDW. I think the WDW CS food options are more of the carnival food type than DLR by far. The problem in October which I'm assuming is still going on is that the ordering system is a mess, it could be hard to get food ordered, some of the places are still closed, and some of the menus are limited. Again, right now it isn't like it usually is-- or was pre-pandemic. Hopefully things won't stay this way.

Hopefully at some point in the future things will go back more to normal and you can experience the real DLR. It really has a whole lot to offer.

Last edited:

We went to Disneyland (and California Adventure) last week to soak up a little Christmas ambiance. It was not what we expected... Let me preface my comments by saying we are huge Disney fans. I've probably been to WDW a hundred times in the past 25 years. However now that we live on the western side of the country, I thought it would be nice to check out DisneyLAND this December. The first problem is Anaheim itself. It is seedy and dangerous, and unpleasant to walk through...and Disneyland is right in the middle of it. The next problem is that Disney is packing people in those parks like sardines. (We went on a Tuesday and Wednesday hoping for low crowds. No such luck.) The crowds were so thick that you couldn't enjoy anything. I barely noticed the decorations because I was so busy trying not to be bowled over by the masses. We gave up on trying to ride any rides but tried hard to at least see the parade. However we missed that too because there were people about 10 thick in front of us. (I'm short) The only thing left to do was eat. We could not find anything edible. I have never seen so much "carnival style" junk-food in one place. It was disgusting. So I went to Guest Services to ask if I could have a partial refund on the "Magic Key" I purchased for this trip/year. (I have no desire to ever return). They were uncaring and rude about it and simply said "Nope". Absolutely no part of this experience felt like the "Disney" I know and love. (It very much reminded me of how Six Flags took a bad turn 20 years ago! Yikes!). No thanks.
I'm sorry you didn't have a good time, but this is a little over the top. Anaheim isn't all that dangerous (everywhere has a sense of danger no?) you just have to be aware of your surroundings like you should be in general. Christmas is a busy time of year, and lately Tuesdays have been pretty busy. I have found doing some research before the trip can help manage expectations.

As most people here have said - Anaheim isn't that seedy of a place, at least, not the general tourist ares around DL/DCA and also not the Packing District area either.

There are worse places in the UK for sure, where it does feel unsafe most nights compared to the situation in Anaheim. Watch any UK cop show like 'Traffic Cops' and you'll see there.

The crime rate in Anaheim is well known, friends who live/lived here call it “Anacrime,” but that doesn’t sound like the main issue.

That, and "Anaslime" usually come from someone who's never lived anywhere but Irvine or Newport Coast. I grew up in Anaheim, first near downtown as a kid, then in Anaheim Hills as a teenager. Yorba Linda resident now.

I'd take Anaheim (and 100% the resort area) over Santa Ana, Garbage Grove, Westminister or even Buena Park. Not to mention about 90% of LA County. Are there a few bad spots? Absolutely, but there is nothing even approaching the Jeffrey-Lynn and Chevy Chase neighborhoods of the '80's and '90's.

Last edited:
I'm a lifelong CA resident, so DLR is home for me, but I also love WDW.

That said, based on what I've read about how things have been at WDW since COVID hit, if my first visit to WDW was right now, or during the past year and a half, I don't think I'd love it nearly as much as I do, and I may decide to write it off entirely and stick with DLR. Our last visit to WDW was July of 2019. It was magical. We stayed at YC, went to 3 after hours events, took full advantage of extra magic hours, utilized FP+ very effectively, ate 2 table service meals most days, etc etc. Many of the things we love the most (DAH, EMH, Hoop de Doo, and I know there's more...) are still not back post COVID.

I went to DLR in June 2021 and had a completely magical time. Many of the things I love were missing - fireworks, dining locations, the Matterhorn, Jungle Cruise, parades/performances, and more...but I know DLR very well, and so I still loved it. I understood that this was not 100% what DLR actually is. I hope all of those things come back eventually (and it does look like they're trickling back slowly...), but to be honest, I have a wonderful time at DLR no matter what is or isn't part of the experience.

I just wanted to offer a different perspective. Others have said it here, but DLR is not 100% right now. And neither is WDW. Please don't take this one experience as indicative of what DLR actually is all of the time.

About the crowds - DLR will always feel more crowded than WDW because the walkways are smaller, especially DL itself. However, we've found the wait times at WDW to be far worse than DLR in general. So, the "feel" of crowds can be misleading.

About the food - it's a common opinion around the boards (and one I share) that DLR generally has better counter service, and WDW generally has better table service. Of course you can find good CS at WDW and good TS at DLR, but just in general. DLR actually has a lot of really unique and delicious non-carnival food CS options. Some examples - DL: Plaza Inn, Tropical Hideaway, Bengal BBQ, Royal Street Veranda, Rancho Del Zocalo. DCA: Pacific Wharf, Lucky Fortune Cookery, Boardwalk Pizza/Pasta (ok...that one's still closed). Maybe look at some of their menus and see if anything appeals to you.

ETA: I am not a Six Flags fan by any stretch of the imagination. I went to Magic Mountain once in my life, and once was enough. Calling Disneyland the same as Six Flags is.........well, I hope it's hyperbole, but it's pretty offensive hyperbole to post on a Disneyland specific board, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Anaheim doesn’t have that polished resort look, for sure, but seeing rows of pawn shops doesn’t automatically make a place seedy.
Totally get what you're saying, but to be honest, there's maybe 3 or 4 pawn shops in the entire city, none within miles of the parks, and that's in a city almost the exact same size, area-wise, as Miami.

Totally get what you're saying, but to be honest, there's maybe 3 or 4 pawn shops in the entire city, none within miles of the parks, and that's in a city almost the exact same size, area-wise, as Miami.

Yeah, I’m almost speaking generically about that. Just some people see Pho 54, nail salon, taqueria, and Zankou Chicken and think it’s low class/seedy because it’s not a uniformly beige shopping plaza with a Chipotle, Jamba Juice, and a Starbucks.

I mean, someone gets a hotel almost to Garden Grove “because it’s close” to Disneyland and is shocked to see Harbor Blvd and all its glory? Like, the history of Disney NOT owning all of the land is famous…anyone with a Disney+ subscription could figure that part out.

Maybe I’m just aware that, rarefied places like DLR, main campus USC, The Grove, South Coast Plaza are surrounded by…normal real life.

If I want to be surrounded by beauty, I’m flying to Maui. Even that in itself is a gross oversimplification.

Last edited:
What what sort of reaction you were expecting from other posters? I feel like you'd get more commiseration from your Facebook page than a forum dedicated to fans of Disneyland Park. Or I could see this being in the community board.

I agree with other posters that you went in ill-prepared and with unrealistic expectations.
And I'm not sure what you're referring to as 'carnival type junk food' when the food is pretty similar to that of Disney World when you compare apples to apples. I will give you that we don't have nearly the same selection as WDW. I've probably eaten at each place at least once in both DL and DCA and never found anything to be inedible. If it had, I would have asked for a refund or replacement.

Also Anaheim in itself isn't seedy. Especially the area surrounding the Disneyland Resort. There isn't a Disney bubble but the city is well maintained and safe. I would like to know what made you think it was seedy.

Lastly, the magic key you purchased (as well as all of Disney ticket media - Disneyland or WDW) has it clearly stated that it's nonrefundable. I don't know why you thought Disney would change their policy for you when I'm sure they've had similar complaints at DL and WDW, usually from people who came in unprepared.

I would recommend you give it another try but honestly, I don't need the negativity as local.

Yup, and they'll never know what they're missing...

Sorry I added more after you replied. The more I read this thread, the more it bothers me. It just gives off this vibe (warranted or not) of Americans going to Paris and getting upset that it’s nothing like the movies/cartoons….Or tourists flocking to third world countries and complaining about corruption/bribery, nepotism, and how slow/inefficient things are….or that everyone must be poor and that everything is better in the US. Those vibes.

Like yes, we know DLR has problems, but this is still our park and the park Walt actually physically walked and built. I will defend it with that fact every dang day!

Lastly, the magic key you purchased (as well as all of Disney ticket media - Disneyland or WDW) has it clearly stated that it's nonrefundable. I don't know why you thought Disney would change their policy for you when I'm sure they've had similar complaints at DL and WDW, usually from people who came in unprepared.

This puzzled me as well. Like, why buy an AP almost sight unseen? I’ve been to this park since practically birth, and even I bought park hoppers to upgrade this week juuuuust in case we needed to sit out the next year or two because of park issues.

Try before you buy!

We went to Disneyland (and California Adventure) last week to soak up a little Christmas ambiance. It was not what we expected... Let me preface my comments by saying we are huge Disney fans. I've probably been to WDW a hundred times in the past 25 years. However now that we live on the western side of the country, I thought it would be nice to check out DisneyLAND this December. The first problem is Anaheim itself. It is seedy and dangerous, and unpleasant to walk through...and Disneyland is right in the middle of it. The next problem is that Disney is packing people in those parks like sardines. (We went on a Tuesday and Wednesday hoping for low crowds. No such luck.) The crowds were so thick that you couldn't enjoy anything. I barely noticed the decorations because I was so busy trying not to be bowled over by the masses. We gave up on trying to ride any rides but tried hard to at least see the parade. However we missed that too because there were people about 10 thick in front of us. (I'm short) The only thing left to do was eat. We could not find anything edible. I have never seen so much "carnival style" junk-food in one place. It was disgusting. So I went to Guest Services to ask if I could have a partial refund on the "Magic Key" I purchased for this trip/year. (I have no desire to ever return). They were uncaring and rude about it and simply said "Nope". Absolutely no part of this experience felt like the "Disney" I know and love. (It very much reminded me of how Six Flags took a bad turn 20 years ago! Yikes!). No thanks.
You are going to get a lot of hate for saying this. I agree with you the area around DL was a little sketchy and I did not like getting asked for money and ranting fighting crazy people. I like DW bubble. Yes there is worse places. People on this board hate when people mention things they do not like.

The first problem is Anaheim itself. It is seedy and dangerous, and unpleasant to walk through...and Disneyland is right in the middle of it.

So in the other thread, it looks like you stayed at the Desert Inn, 300 feet from the DLR entrance gateway. Like, was the 300 foot stretch of Harbor that bad? I mean, were there that many aggressive panhandlers, drug dealers, crystal meth tweakers, and friendly bottled water/flying toy thingie sellers in that little 300 foot stretch? Like, I can see this statement making sense if you ended up walking the entire length of the city or something, but just by sheer distance, 300 feet isn't much, even with a worsening homeless situation in most western cities.

Plus, if you said it was super crowded, I feel that there would have been safety in numbers in that 300 foot walk. Relatively easy to walk by/not make eye contact/ignore, but I also know not everyone is used to aggressive panhandling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter