Disneyland will sell alcohol for the first time when Star Wars land opens in 2019

dina444444

DIS Veteran
Disneyland will sell liquor in public areas for the first time in its 63-year history, officials announced Thursday, Aug. 30, though it will really only be sold in outer space, also known as the Black Spire Outpost on the planet Batuu, in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge when it opens next year.

This move marks a huge break in precedent, because Walt Disney opposed selling liquor in his creation. He wanted it to be a wholesome, family experience. However, booze and cocktails have been big money-makers at Disneyland’s sister theme park, Disney California Adventure, which opened in 2001, where the cocktail menu even changes with the seasons.

Visitors who want to get a drink can only find one inside the new Star Wars land’s Oga’s Cantina, among aliens, from a special menu of proprietary beer, wine and outer space themed cocktails. They must be consumed inside the cantina only, leaving the rest of the park alcohol-free, except for the exclusive private Club 33, which also offers liquor to its members.

“Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will be a completely immersive true-to-story experience,” park spokeswoman Liz Jaeger said Thursday. “Given our commitment to offering fans an immersive cantina experience, we felt this was an opportunity to offer alcohol and non-alcohol based beverages in the context of the story.”

She said that more specifics about the menu will be revealed as they are developed.

The new Star Wars land is being carved out of a portion of Frontierland, and will include two new dark rides as well as a themed planetary experience. It’s expected to open in summer 2019. Visitors can see construction that is well underway by standing on the roof of the Mickey & Friends parking garage.

“Oga’s Cantina is the kind of establishment that attracts some of the most interesting and disreputable characters in the galaxy,” Disney Imagineer Scott Trowbridge said in a prepared statement. “And you never know when a stormtrooper or a familiar face will show up. Patrons of the cantina come from across the galaxy to sample the famous concoctions created with exotic ingredients using “otherworldly” methods, served in unique vessels. With choices for kids and libations for adults, the cantina will make for a great stop!”

Source

I wonder if they will extend this to their other restaurants, or could only legally limit to Star Wars Land (correct me if I'm wrong but I believe legally they could not get around Walt's liquor rules for Disneyland?) It would be nice when eating somewhere like Blue Bayou if you could have something other than water or soft drinks with your meal.

I have no issue with this since it's limited to a specific location and not a "walking around with drinks" free-for-all. (No one needs pictures of themselves chugging beer in front of the castle.) I would not mind at all if they added additional locations (the Tropical Hideaway has got to sell some alcoholic drinks in the future, no? And yes, the Blue Bayou with a wine list would be welcome to me.) But I hope they will always keep these limited to the venue where they are sold and not allow alcoholic drinks to be freely carried around the parks.

I have no issue with this since it's limited to a specific location and not a "walking around with drinks" free-for-all. (No one needs pictures of themselves chugging beer in front of the castle.) I would not mind at all if they added additional locations (the Tropical Hideaway has got to sell some alcoholic drinks in the future, no? And yes, the Blue Bayou with a wine list would be welcome to me.) But I hope they will always keep these limited to the venue where they are sold and not allow alcoholic drinks to be freely carried around the parks.

This makes a lot of sense! Just like in the real world where you can’t be walking out of the restaurant with your beverage. Although they must not have many issues with this in DCA otherwise they probably would make it so people couldn’t wander with their drinks. I’ve personally never seen anyone there who’s been visibly intoxicated before

Well with what they charge for an alcoholic drink it doesn’t surprise me people aren’t getting drunk in the park. I don’t think I could afford tipsy let alone drunk.
$100 will get you pretty well schnockered. I've seen plenty of wasted people at DCA even with $8 beers.

Didn’t they do the same thing with BOG in WDW? I would think if it caused any issues they wouldn’t be expanding it to DL.

For me though, it’s not about becoming or being a problem. It’s the fact Disney have done it because they realise what alcohol does to the profits.

On the day it was announced that alcohol would be served at WDW, I had an ADR at the Plaza. The waitresses there were talking about it with guests and they were upset as they didn’t think it was right. And it was nothing to do with people being tipsy or drunk, as dedicated cast members they just didn’t think it fit in with the whole setting. And that’s what matters to me. Because once you start getting dedicated CM’s upset, it’s a slippery slope.

Having said all that, I’m very much on the fence about it all. On one hand I want to scream that Walt never wanted this but even as a hardcore Disney nut, how long can we fall back on that? What annoys me mostly is what I mentioned at the beginning of this post, it’s all about the $$$.

This makes a lot of sense! Just like in the real world where you can’t be walking out of the restaurant with your beverage. Although they must not have many issues with this in DCA otherwise they probably would make it so people couldn’t wander with their drinks. I’ve personally never seen anyone there who’s been visibly intoxicated before
For me, it's less about people being visibly drunk and more about trying to shuffle past the Haunted Mansion without someone's beer sloshing on me.

Plus, I just don't think it fits the Disneyland vibe. For me there is a tremendous difference between seeing someone having wine with their dinner or being in a dedicated bar area vs. walking around surrounded by alcohol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter