Disneyland with toddler...advice pls

jenpace

DIS Veteran
We are DL veterans, usually visiting 4-5 times a year for many years. We've taken a break for a couple of long years because of my difficult pregnancy and our twins' long stay in the NICU after being born very early. We've planned a trip for this November and the whole family is really looking forward to going back as well as introducing the babies to Disneyland. The girls will be 22 months old (19 months adjusted) and I'd love any pointers or advice as far as toddler friendly tips to make the trip as fun as possible for everyone. TIA :-)

How FUN! Toddlers love the sights, scents and sounds. Lots to see and love. Also lots to get over stimulated by!

I think the key is to have a simple plan, but be ready to play it by ear. Go at their pace, stop and smell the roses (or wave at Goofy), keep plenty of snacks and maybe a couple of small distractions on hand, and plan for frequent breaks.

Do you have older kids as well? If so, would it be possible to tag team with the spouse, for one of you to take an afternoon nap break at the hotel, while the other takes the bigger kids on the bigger rides, at a slightly quicker pace? Then swap nap duty the following day.

The Unofficial Guide had some tips for toddlers that I found pretty insightful. You can check a copy out at the library.

Glad to hear your little ones are doing well and you're all going back! I hope you have a great trip!

The baby centers are awesome. We do all diaper changes there!

Rider swap rocks! Use it to let older kids ride twice.

A stroller is your friend. Take a light receiving blanket for cover when they fall asleep. We use binder clips to hold it where we want. We also use giant carabiners on the stroller to hang water bottles and such from.

Take snacks. :)

Build in some down time. They need out of the stroller to wander around some in a quiet area.

Follow their lead on characters. They could love them or hate them; it's tough to tell. My daughter loves Minnie, Mickey and Pooh but was scared of Captain Hook and Eeyore.

Dumbo is a perfect first ride. It and the carousel are two of my daughter's (she was 22 months on our last trip) favorites.

The best first inside ride is probably it's a Small World or Little Mermaid.

My toddler loves the Tiki Room and the Paint the Night parade. YMMV.

Depending how familiar they are with the characters, the Disney Jr. show at DCA or Mickey and the Magical Map show at DL were huge favorites with mine at that age (she just turned three). She's still hugely into M&MM, less so but still enjoys Disney Jr. The Disney Jr. one you're on the floor, so it's not as relaxing/comfy, but still makes a nice break, especially if it's hot out.

Plan to take their lead. That's what we did with our son last year (17 months old at the time.) When he got cranky...we went back to the hotel for him to rest or just play in the room.

The baby care centers were great for diaper changes.

246.jpg

If your stroller doesn't have a great canopy, I recommend an extender (not sure how it would work on double strollers though.) We used this one... http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant...id=1462216752&sr=1-1&keywords=canopy+extender

It was great for when he fell asleep, especially.

078.jpg

Finding a good place for them to run around will be key, especially if it's crowded. Our son was still a bit unsteady on his feet so we struggled with this. We did like the Pixie Hollow area at night when they did NOT have meet and greets. Others have talked about the Redwood Creek area but it was closed during our visit.

We brought disposable placemats and bibs for meals. (Still brought extra clothes into the parks too, just in case.)

103.jpg

Try not to have too crazy of expectations. They may love characters or hate them. May love rides or hate them. There's no way to really know how it will go until you will get there. So whatever happens, just enjoy the experience. We had some ups and down but overall, it was really fun going to Disneyland with a toddler!

I hope you have a great time! My advice is to pick a hotel that is close to the parks. It may be more expensive, but easier for afternoon naps! Having to get your kids out of the stroller, then fold up the stroller, then get it everything on the bus, simply stinks. I realize the Grand Californian is expensive, but aren't you moms worth it!

How exciting! We'll be there in November, too. We have been taking my son since he was 2 on a regular basis (he's turning 6 soon) and started taking my twins last year (they were 13 mos, 11 mos adjusted the first time and are 2 1/2 now). Anyway, it's a lot easier than it seems as long as you prepare ahead of time. Bring snacks. It helps to have them readily available when standing in line and stuff to help pass the time. If you plan on naps in the stroller, I've found that the area under the swings at DCA is a good spot to sit and relax, as is the area near IASM at DL. Have you picked a hotel? If you're staying off-site, we love HOJO if we're on a budget or Courtyard if not. Both have fun water play areas. November it hit or miss with weather, but it's nice to have the option. Both have large rooms, too, with plenty of space. Finally, best first rides...I think DCA is the best park to start with as there are more open air rides (like the ones in Bug's Land). At DL, the best first rides are Casey Jr., Dumbo, or IASM. Most of all, just realize that with children, especially twins, it's going to take time. You can't over plan because you just don't know how they'll react. Follow their lead and all will be well.

I hope you have a great time! My advice is to pick a hotel that is close to the parks. It may be more expensive, but easier for afternoon naps! Having to get your kids out of the stroller, then fold up the stroller, then get it everything on the bus, simply stinks. I realize the Grand Californian is expensive, but aren't you moms worth it!

I agree that staying within walking distance is ideal. You don't need to break the bank to do it either. There are a lot of places on Harbor that are very, very close. Shorter walk than the Disneyland Hotel in some cases. We stayed at the Desert Inn last year in a parlor suite. Price wasn't bad at all. And the extra space was nice with a toddler (extra luggage and stroller taking up space.) In November (non-Holiday time), I think the prices are around $115 for a regular room and maybe $150 for the parlor suite. They have larger suites as well.

Our little one was 19 mos when we last went. Naps in hotel were nice.

We showed videos of character interactions & rides. Baby loved the characters.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice! It's funny, I was just looking online to see if Rayshade made a double size.

We're staying at the PPH and will be there for 6 nights so we can take things at whatever pace we'll need to.

I loved seeing pictures of the fabled Baby Care Center, it'll be so nice to have that available!

Yeah, before our trip, I had a hard time finding pictures of the baby care centers. So when we were there I snapped one really quickly before anyone else showed up. Pretty much every time there were other people or else I would have gotten some better photos. They also have these little toilets for potty training kids. So cute.

There is a baby care center in California Adventure too. We used both.

Baby Care Centers at both parks are awesome! You can even heat up food there for them if you need! My daughter (4) will only use the "little potties" at the parks, and I swear she always needed to go when we were in line for a ride, or the farthest away from the bathrooms. Ha ha!

We never go back during the day for naps, because she gets too amped up in the hotel, so she just naps in the stroller (bring a good stroller that reclines!). In fact, we were there this weekend and she took almost a 3 hour nap in her stroller.

Redwood Creek and Goofy's house are a great place for parents to sit down and watch the little ones play, and are usually shady.

We enjoy doing a character meal because it gives her time with the characters, and it gives us the time to sit down and relax!

As everyone already mentioned, bring a ton of snacks, more than you expected to bring!

Definitely take advantage of the fact that your girls are under 3 and can do character meals for free! Mine loved both Minnie's and Ariel's. While you do have to pay for the adults and older kids it's a great opportunity to see characters without the wait. With my girls now being 11 and having to pay adult prices we don't do many any more.
Another thought if you have two adults we preferred two smaller strollers to the double that I used normally. Crowds make it really difficult to get around with a double. This is personal preference but just my thought.
Have a wonderful trip and take lots of pics. My girls and I were just looking at pictures from our trip to WDW when they were 2 and I wish I had taken more!
Good luck!

So much great advice in here! Baby Care Centers at both parks are SO nice!! My boys were actually sad when they no longer could use the little potty's. Bring lots of snacks and water! We would bring an entire backpack dedicated to snacks and a soft sided cooler with water. I would buy new snacks or snacks they had not had in a long time. The parks can be so overwhelming, and sometimes when they need to eat, they don't want to! I've found having different snacks helped motivate them to eat! We made a rule, about every two hours we would have a potty/diaper change break, eat a snack and drink water. No matter what. It helped ALL of us from getting too hungry, thirsty, and overwhelmed. In fact, some of my most fond memories from when they are toddlers is when we stopped to rest and have a snack. =) When we had meals in the parks, we would get them milk.

Everything else we just went at their pace. My boys were not into characters AT ALL until they were 5 and 7. They would wave from a distance in parades, but did not want to "meet" them and that's ok! Have a wonderful trip! It's SO fun to experience the parks through their eyes!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter