• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland's 50th . . . More speculation at Mouseplanet.

J. Thornhill

Watermouse Captain
I've just read Al Lutz's most recent update at DIG on his Mouseplanet site. He outlines Marty Sklar's pretty amazing proposals for a 50th anniversary redo of five classic attractions. It falls in line with Jim Hill's "Flaming Skull" article reviewing news found on Westcoaster about improvements to Pirates of the Caribbean.

The proposals are lofty and expensive as WDI is wont to be, but Al's article seems to imply that the accountaneers may bend. I wonder what will happen.

There's also some interesting info on safety restraints on DL's Splash which, if successful, could be installed at WDW as well.

Mouseplanet Update

Jim Hill's "Senseless Skullduggery"

J.-

I URGE ALL DIS RUMOR and BIZ BOARD PARTICIPANTS TO PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE READ THESE ARTICLES! NOT ONLY GOOD RUMORS (TAKE NOTE AIRLARRY), BUT AN EXCELLENT CRITIQUE OF US DISNEY NUTS BY NONE OTHER THAN JIM HILL HIMSELF AND THE NEGATIVE AFFECT WE CAN HAVE ON THINGS DISNEY WHEN WE SPEAK UNINFORMED!!!

PLEASE READ!

Thank you, J. Thornhill.
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

There's so much stuff here. How about Splash Mtns. rehab due to lawyers? How about Disney settling the RR lawsuit? What about the rumored remakes of the 'classic' DL attractions? What about the 'weenies'? Who exactly are these weenies and are the weenies we?:confused:

I URGE ALL DIS RUMOR and BIZ BOARD PARTICIPANTS TO PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE READ THESE ARTICLES!
There's so much stuff here.
Captain!!! Am I to understand that we can now believe the rantings of Lutz and Hill!! I thought we were to discount EVERYTHING they say!! Please clarify!! :confused:

I URGE ALL DIS RUMOR and BIZ BOARD PARTICIPANTS TO PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE READ THESE ARTICLES! NOT ONLY GOOD RUMORS (TAKE NOTE AIRLARRY), BUT AN EXCELLENT CRITIQUE OF US DISNEY NUTS BY NONE OTHER THAN JIM HILL HIMSELF AND THE NEGATIVE AFFECT WE CAN HAVE ON THINGS DISNEY WHEN WE SPEAK UNINFORMED!!!

Mon Capitain:

I hope you are not lumping me in with the 'weenies.' :) :D :) I *love* reading Jim Hill's arguments, and I'm all for updating every attraction. 'Course, maybe you meant to cheer me up by pointing out some juicy rumors, so if that's it, why thank you, of course.

I'm just glad to see that you are now urging that we all in the spirit of harmony begin to enjoy Mr. Hill's musings. Welcome aboard!

Larry & Baron...you both got it wrong...mostly.;)

First off, airlarry, my only desire for you to read was the plethora of good rumors...no hidden digs or anythig!

DVC ol' pal...I'm not endorsing Hill or Lutz, simply pointing out great fodder for discussion, is that so wrong? Once again, no hidden agenda!:D

I'll bite. One rumor I found interesting that I would love to see at WDW would be an update of the Jungle Cruise. I love this attraction, it is a classic and the 'spiel' is always entertaining, especially if you get a great skipper. My family likes to sit up front and 'yuk' it up with the Captain; I have been on one cruise where we were in the middle and nobody laughed at her jokes...it was rather boring, so now we try to spice it up and help the capt get the crowd in the mood. Usually there are very few people who have ever been on the ride before and may not know what to expect. So, why not help the capts out even more with some updated animatronics....

As for Space Mt, my vote would be to do something else with the budget. We already ave R&RC over at MGM, so I would rather see another attraction built in Adventureland or in the Lagoon rather than an update of Space Mtn.

Originally posted by J. Thornhill

There's also some interesting info on safety restraints on DL's Splash which, if successful, could be installed at WDW as well.

J.-

We were in California last Halloween, and while we were there a lady was killed at knots berry farms on a water flume ride. I think that she was obese, and she somehow shot out of the log as it went down a drop. I think that the ride had belt restraints, but that because she was over weight they didn't fit her properly and she just shot out. I can not imagine how horrible that must have been. What a nightmare. I bet that the risk management people at disneyland really obsessed over that. That is probably why they would like to see over the shoulder holders rather than a belt system. But I think that there is probably a difference in the way the drop at splash mountain was engineered in the first place, so that the angle didn't require a restraint (I am pretty sure that the ride at knots berry farm did have restraints, just that they didn't work for this woman). I think it is probably over kill for splash, because it wasn't designed to need restraints in the first place.

It would slow things down and take a lot of the comfort out of the ride, but if it saves someone it would be worth it.

DR

I think the ride redo is a great idea.

Probably clear to WDI they weren't going to get corporate to spring for a major new ride, even for the 50th, so a good middle ground. Probably doesn't hurt "Nightmare" was such a big hit. A vote of confidence these make-overs should be well received.

Also, attractive from a leverage point of view. Gives them a portfolio of improvements other parks can now pick from when there's no budget for a major addtion. I have long advocated that making some kind of minor improvement to an existing ride each year be a standing practice.

Should be hard to cut corners. They may decide they can't afford a particular addition, but it would really be silly to add something that didn't match up well with the quality of the rest of the ride.

I too might question the Space Mt. rumor. Sounds like a complete replacement of the ride track/system. At some point it does make sense to bank the money for a future new attraction.

Will be fun to see this unfold.

The attraction at Knott’s involved in the incident was a “shoot-the-chutes” ride using a large boat seating several people across instead of log. The boat did have lap bars (if I recall correctly) and the women was ejected, in front of her four children, under circumstances that haven’t been determined yet. I believe the attraction is still closed. At the time of the accident, Disney was trying to purchase the exact same ride as one of the “panic additions” to California Adventure and occasionally you can find artwork showing it in some of the promo stuff for DCA.

Splash Mountain Disneyland has a checkered history. The attraction was nearly a year late in opening, the final drop was built incorrectly (it’s steeper than it’s supposed to be), the entire fleet of logs was scrapped before opening due to safety problems and had to be rebuilt, and now the attraction is undergoing an extensive rehab for other structural problem and some significant damage that’s been caused by the limited maintenance its received over the last decade. Personally, I will never get onto anything that floats that locks me into a seat without a chance to get out.

The 50th Birthday updates were described to me as “so blue sky they’re damn near ultraviolet” and no one at WDI expects any of the plans to come pass. First, Corporate is not going to put that kind of money into Disneyland (or any of the parks for that matter) because the return isn’t there. Second, what little money Disneyland does have is being poured into that canker sore they’ve built in the parking lot. That’s more of a concern (and an embarrassment to certain key executive) than some marketing promo for “the dead guy’s place” (a charming new nickname in honor of someone’s 100th Birthday). Third, Disneyland can’t afford to shut down its major attractions for a lengthy amount of time. It had been thought that California Adventure would be stealing attendance from Disneyland, giving the park time and a reason to tinker with the attractions. Right now, Disney needs every paying customer it can get to offset the losses across the way.

Most importantly, D/L 50 is being viewed as nothing but a marketing event. What is likely to happen (you read it here first), is that several attractions will receive set decoration make-overs similar to the ‘It’s A Small World’ and ‘Haunted Mansion’ holiday redressings. Show elements – reprogrammed figures, new props, maybe a new narration – would be added or changed, but the physical structure of the attraction would remain the same. All of the make-overs would share a common “birthday party” theme to “unify” the entire celebration and provide an easy to market concept (“come celebrate with the pirates, ghosts and Pooh!”). The changes would last just for the length of the celebration, the better to encourage people to see this “once in a lifetime event”. Hey, it worked for the “final days” of the Electrical Parade a few years back. In any case, 2005 is so far away compared to the immediate problems in Anahiem.

Lastly, about the “weenies”. The Company, aside from pin sales and annual pass renewals, they really couldn’t care less about what the fans write on the Internet. I think Mr. Hill is far more concerned about proving his piety to the fanatics on certain other websites than trying to warn us to shut-up. An alleged storm among the NFFC crowd about the placement of the “flaming skull” will have no impact on whether it ever shows up or not. But toeing the Party line will keep the perks flowing in.

Besides, if Mr. Pressler is affected by anything that’s said out in the ether, I’m sure the millions of dollars he receives each year might be able to buy him some kind of solace.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter