Disney's Christmas Carol Warning

karliebug

DIS Veteran
I took my daughters to this movie yesterday. I will say that as an adult,I enjoyed it completely. The animation is fantastic, very life-like. My DD's are 10 and 14. My warning is for those whom may want to take young children to see it. It had some very creepy, frightening scenes that my 10 year old was peeking through her fingers at and that my older DD and I also found creepy. If you have young children that are "fraidy cats" you may want to skip it. We saw the regular version, not the 3D version. That would probably be even scarier.

My friend saw it yesterday and said the same thing. She wished she had left the 5 year old at home, the 8 and 10 year olds liked it but thought it was scary. As an adult, she enjoyed it but felt she missed alot trying to comfort her little one. She said the 3D was awesome though!

I wondered if it would be, I thought the commercials looked scary so we decided not to take our kids, but my 12yo is going to see it at an IMAX as a field trip at school.

There are warnings after the tv promotions that it is not suitable for young children. I think I'll be leaving my 5yo at home and taking my son!

Just the commercials showed me that it's NOT a kid's movie.

Actually, just the still picture of Scrooge showed me that it's not. Frightening man!

I'm going by myself to see it first. I think it will be to scary for my 9 year old. Like everything else in life I think each parent has to use commin sense and do what is right for their kiddo. Thanks for the heads up!

I took my kiddos who are 9 and 7. I am extremely careful what they watch, but they are both very familiar with the story, and we had seen the preview at the train tour. Yes, they were extremely scared in parts, but I quickly (and very quietly) reminded them that we knew how the story ended, and that noone was going to be hurt. I think for us the most disturbing part was the end of the time of the Ghost of Christmas Present- don't want to give it away, but a good time to take smaller kids to the bathroom. I don't regret taking my kids, we had a really good conversation after about the importance of giving to one another, the importance of compassion, the availability and overwhelming gift of grace, and the consequences both good and bad of the choices we make. I think for me I wouldn't advise anyone taking kids who are too young to seperate fantasy from reality; also, I'm glad we went to a morning show, they weren't really thinking about it going to bed.

My husband said the same thing...he only took our oldest two (boys) and they are 10 and 8. A family who had brought younger children walked out. Definitely intense. I mentioned it to my SIL who wanted to take my nephew (not quite 5) and she insists he'll be fine. To each their own. If it's a question, one of us always goes to the see the movie first before bringing the kids.

Just saw this today with my DS17, DS13, DD11, DD8. Yikes. It is very real-looking and quite frightening, creepy, scary at times. Many times. I wish I hadn't even taken either of my DDs. It was, however, a very good movie and I appreciated it as an adult. It is a very good adult or teen movie.

My DS 18 and I went and saw it last night. It is a very good movie, we saw the 3D version), but I don't think I would have taken a child under the age of 10. There were points in the movie that I found a little creepy myself and I like the Alstair Sims A Christmas Carol. Needless to say, I'll be taking my DD 12 next weekend since she couldn't come with us last night.

We went with everyone- kids 4,7,12 and 15. I was nervous for the 4 year old but he usually does well in movies and he was ok here too. It is a typically dark tale but the effects were great. Really I felt like it was snowing on me! It was a bit draggy for little kids as I heard LOTS of chatting in the theater. (not us)

I enjoyed it. But wouldn't say LOVE it. I did like it. And more importantly there was a preview for a new Christmas TV special all about the elves responsible for the "landings" Santa makes. It looks adorable - can't recall the name. It looked very cute!

We saw it last night and my kids are 7 and 10 and they spent a good amount of time under their coats. It was an amazing movie, but scary.

My sister, brother-in-law, and cousin went with their children... My sister even said (as an adult) she had to take off her 3D glasses every once in awhile just because it was very frightening and almost overwhelming. However, the men were very satisfied lol. The kids on the other hand (5 and 9) were not so impressed... I cant wait to see it :)

Took DD 2 1/2 on Friday she didn't seem to be afraid at all, and wanted more movie at the end.I was scared !! Not for very young kids. Neat movie .

Can you guys tell me what exactly was creepy about it?

My 5.5 yr old wants to see it and she loves Nightmare Before Christmas, Coraline and Monster House just to name a few. She doesn't get scared easily so I'm trying to figure out what exactly is scary/creepy about it?

Thanks!

I haven't seen the movie yet but I got curious by this thread and went to themoviespoiler.com (very, very detailed summaries of movies) It seems like the scary parts come from things happening unexpectly (jumping out at you, things morphing into scary things unexpectly) how the ghost actually look and act.

I haven't seen the movie yet but I got curious by this thread and went to themoviespoiler.com (very, very detailed summaries of movies) It seems like the scary parts come from things happening unexpectly (jumping out at you, things morphing into scary things unexpectly) how the ghost actually look and act.

Yep that's it. It's also very loud. And the faces on the ghosts are terrifying. Take your Daughter she may like it. For me it was a little slow moving. Images are amazing. We saw it at the IMAX.

I was really looking forward to taking the whole family (2,3,7 and 9) to see this movie to start the Christmas season. I'm glad you all posted the reviews. I think we'll get a sitter and check it out first! Thanks for the warnings.:scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter