• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's CONTEMPORARY RESORT Information & Questions

So I am confused by the construction in the tower. Is all of the tower closed? For how long? We lost out last year on what would have been our first ever stay at Contemporary Tower, them park view. I just booked us at the Contemporary Garden View (all that was offered at Contemporary), but now I am debating whether to switch it over to the Boardwalk Inn. I booked Contemporary thinking that once the tower opened back up I would just switch my room to there, so if someone knows the full scoop, or where to direct me for the full scoop on how long the construction will last, that would be mighty magical of you!!!!!

Check out this forum: ***WDW Resorts Open/Closed Detail & FAQ Thread*** | The DIS Disney Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

So I am confused by the construction in the tower. Is all of the tower closed? For how long?
No just the TPV side is blocked off. Once they finish on that side and the TPV rooms reopen they will move to the Bay Lake side. No specific dates were ever announced as to the specific timing.

Also this week they announced that The Wave and the Wave lounge would be closing on July 16th for a long refresh to re-open in time for the 50th Anniversary Celebration by Oct. 1st.

Dave

Our DD turned 16 in March. Any ideas what we could at the resort for her? A fireworks cruise would have been perfect, but....

Has anyone stayed at the hotel on Halloween before, and if so, did they do anything special! We are so excited we will be staying in the tower on Halloween! We were hoping to do the Halloween party, but based on the announcement this week I think it will just be too late for my kids. We already have a park pass for the MK on Halloween, so I’m thinking the kids can dress up and enjoy the MK during the day, and hopefully there will be some Halloween entertainment/trick or treating at the hotel in the evening ??

Has anyone stayed at the hotel on Halloween before, and if so, did they do anything special! We are so excited we will be staying in the tower on Halloween! We were hoping to do the Halloween party, but based on the announcement this week I think it will just be too late for my kids. We already have a park pass for the MK on Halloween, so I’m thinking the kids can dress up and enjoy the MK during the day, and hopefully there will be some Halloween entertainment/trick or treating at the hotel in the evening ??

I haven’t stayed at CR over Halloween, but generally speaking the Disney resorts do some “light” Halloween-themed activities as part of the normal recreation offerings during the day/evening. One year at Poly we had a trick-or-treat themed scavenger hunt, for example. Have also seen Halloween themed crafts. I would not call Disney’s holiday recreation activities particularly extensive, so I would not set expectations too high, just light things/touches - probably just enough to get a little Halloween fix. If you want true trick-or-treating, you may need to get a little creative on your own.

Are the boats for Fort Wilderness and the WL running yet or has there been any info indicating when they will run?

Yes but only between the MK and each resort. The resort to resort boats are not back currently. Depending on when you go they may have already returned.

They are using all the boats or social distancing at the moment.

Dave

Does anyone know if bottled water can be purchased in any of the shops? Do they sell it in large quantities? Any idea the cost?

We really are only looking to purchase water; that's why we're not placing an online delivery order.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if bottled water can be purchased in any of the shops? Do they sell it in large quantities? Any idea the cost?

We really are only looking to purchase water; that's why we're not placing an online delivery order.

Thanks!

Not sure about cost but I *think* you can buy water in the gift shops at the resort.

I know the answer must be here somewhere but I have searched and just can’t find it and a Google search gives conflicting information. I am staying at BLT next week on a cash reservation. I’ve never stayed here before so I’m not sure of all the details. Where does DME drop you off, at the main tower or BLT? Also do I check in at the main tower or BLT? If I need my bags held before check-in or before leaving is there a bag check at BLT or do I use the one at the main tower?
Thanks in advance!

We stayed at BLT in January. DME dropped us off right at BLT. You check in at the lobby desk. They have bell services there that can hold your luggage. So basically everything you need is at BLT. :) We own DVC points there and it is among our favorites. If you have a nice weather day and want a great quick service lunch, stop by the Sand Bar at the Contemporary and eat sitting at one of the umbrella tables looking out over Bay Lake. Typically very few people there, so it's quiet and you have an amazing view. Enjoy your trip!!

We stayed at BLT in January. DME dropped us off right at BLT. You check in at the lobby desk. They have bell services there that can hold your luggage. So basically everything you need is at BLT. :) We own DVC points there and it is among our favorites. If you have a nice weather day and want a great quick service lunch, stop by the Sand Bar at the Contemporary and eat sitting at one of the umbrella tables looking out over Bay Lake. Typically very few people there, so it's quiet and you have an amazing view. Enjoy your trip!!

Thank you so much for the information and the heads up on the Sand Bar!

@yaksack

Maybe order a custom cake? There is a cake chatter sticky on restaurants board.

I wish the tea room @ gf would open, that would be good too.

Lots of girls get tiaras. There are legit gorgeous ones in Epcot .

Etsy has great tshirts , pins , ears etc you can order for any birthday or sweet 16 etc.

Hi. A few questions about contemporary (regular building and Bay Lake Tower). I'm looking at this resort for Aug 2022 as I love the convenience but we have a few concerns/questions:
  1. Are the rooms noisy due to the monorail? Or rooms to avoid?
  2. If we want a view of the fireworks, then do we need to select "Theme Park View" or can other rooms see them too?
  3. We watched a couple videos and have concerns of the bathroom. Do all rooms have the "cloudy" door (i.e. semi see through) that just slides closed (as opposed to closing normally with a lock
Thanks.

Hi. A few questions about contemporary (regular building and Bay Lake Tower). I'm looking at this resort for Aug 2022 as I love the convenience but we have a few concerns/questions:
  1. Are the rooms noisy due to the monorail? Or rooms to avoid?
  2. If we want a view of the fireworks, then do we need to select "Theme Park View" or can other rooms see them too?
  3. We watched a couple videos and have concerns of the bathroom. Do all rooms have the "cloudy" door (i.e. semi see through) that just slides closed (as opposed to closing normally with a lock
Thanks.

I will answer for the hotel tower (not BLT)....

1). I have had times when I had a TPV room that I could “feel” a slight vibration/hear some slight noise when the monorail passes through. Think late at night/early in AM when there is less ambient noise around, the A/C may be off, etc. But this is a really minor comment - you could stay there for weeks and easily not hear/feel anything. It is nothing I would worry about when booking. I do recommend requesting an “upper floor” though - but that is due to better views, not noise.

2) Yes, you need a TPV room to watch fireworks from your room. There are places like the 4th floor observation deck and the fire exit stairwell landings where you can watch fireworks if you don’t have a TPV room.

3) CR Tower hotel rooms are currently being fully renovated and we don’t know what the new rooms will look like. That being said, the general style/trend for many of Disney’s recent room renovations has been a sliding door for the bathroom.

Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for the feedback. Good to know that for the most part, the monorail noise/vibrations aren't an issue. The one deal breaker may be the bathroom door. We had that in a hotel once in NYC and really disliked it. Wonder why they would do such a design.

The one deal breaker may be the bathroom door. We had that in a hotel once in NYC and really disliked it. Wonder why they would do such a design.
We don't want to start rumors so we don't know if there will be a "Barn" door style sliding door for the Contemporary rooms. This is a current in door stye that originated from Lofts with a vague history in some old barns from the last century. I really think it is run it's course in 2021 and beyond.

They are normally used to cover larger opening to provide the ability to provide private spaces for bathroom areas. The layout of the Contemporary rooms don't really lend themselves to this option. There is not large open space for the sinks / mirror area directly viewable in the hotel room space and then a smaller space for a toilet and a sink.

Disney has used this "Barn" door features in some resent resort refreshes that historically had had a wide area in the bathroom area to provide some isolation and privacy for guests.

I don't expect this trend to continue at the Contemporary resort due to the physical layout of the room space. Barn doors need a large space to overlap on a wall and that does not really exist at the Contemporary. Hey it also does not fit with the Contemporary theming.

Now on to noise issues in the Tower from the Monorail and from the restaurants on the 4th floor. There is very little noise from the Monorails sweeping through the Tower. The MK Express does not stop and the Resort line stops and there can be some slight noise and vibrations heard on the lower floors 5-7 but most is only noticeable from the Atrium hallway. Once you are in your room with the door closed it is quite.

Chef Mickey's has historically raised noise reports on the south side of the tower starting a 7 AM and continuing until 10 PM with singing and Characters celebrations of Birthdays. That is not happening since the resort reopened last July. And we don't know when or if these types of celebrations will return any time soon or if at all.

Dave

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter