Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

Now the question i have is, will they let NON resort guests in like they have in the past.....
That I cannot say.
We just left the day before yesterday and they did allow us to have a visitor come in that wasn’t a resort guest. My old college roommate lives in Florida and she came to visit is at our cabin for dinner. I just called the front desk and gave her name.

Is it worth it to get the refillable mugs right now at Ft. Wilderness? Where can we get refills with all of the changes, and what are the hours? D you think it is likely that the Christmas mugs will be available by November 11th? Can I get refillable coffee and/or hot cocoa anywhere at the Fort? We loved having our mugs on our last trip!

Is it worth it to get the refillable mugs right now at Ft. Wilderness? Where can we get refills with all of the changes, and what are the hours? D you think it is likely that the Christmas mugs will be available by November 11th? Can I get refillable coffee and/or hot cocoa anywhere at the Fort? We loved having our mugs on our last trip!
Check the forum here that's all about the Fort. There's a big group from the DIS forum right now and I'm sure someone will be glad to answer your question or check for you real time.
https://www.disboards.com/forums/camping-at-disney-world.24/

We're contemplating a cabin at Ft. Wilderness in January as we've never stayed there and the price is right! I'm wondering if there are any of the amenities or activities still happening or if everything is on hold with COVID still? Trying to decide if it's worth the stay or we should hold off for the Fort until COVID restrictions have relaxed a bit. (And we know that could be a while!)

We're contemplating a cabin at Ft. Wilderness in January as we've never stayed there and the price is right! I'm wondering if there are any of the amenities or activities still happening or if everything is on hold with COVID still? Trying to decide if it's worth the stay or we should hold off for the Fort until COVID restrictions have relaxed a bit. (And we know that could be a while!)
So, we just got back from 5 days there. It depends on what activities you're looking for. Both pools are open but they do have occupancy maximums and you have to wait outside the gate until someone leaves. That happened to us once at the main pool. We actually like the quiet pool better but we'd never tried the larger pool.
There are pony rides, archery, bike and canoe rentals. Fishing charters and movies under the stars. No fire pit or Chip and Dale sing alongs.
Hoop De Do Review is closed as is Trails End. P&J's is open as well as Crockett's Tavern. The Settlement and Meadows trading posts are open. The settlement trading post closed at 5:00pm. The Meadows closed at 10:00 along with the pool.
Looping with a golf cart was fun, looking at all the Halloween decorations, etc. Also a golf cart makes it easier and quicker to get around the Fort, but not required.
You currently have to wear a mask any time you leave your site. Don't know how you feel about that but it is what it is.
So I guess the answer is, what I've described is the "now". Anything or everything can change by January. Best of luck to you!

So, we just got back from 5 days there. It depends on what activities you're looking for. Both pools are open but they do have occupancy maximums and you have to wait outside the gate until someone leaves. That happened to us once at the main pool. We actually like the quiet pool better but we'd never tried the larger pool.
There are pony rides, archery, bike and canoe rentals. Fishing charters and movies under the stars. No fire pit or Chip and Dale sing alongs.
Hoop De Do Review is closed as is Trails End. P&J's is open as well as Crockett's Tavern. The Settlement and Meadows trading posts are open. The settlement trading post closed at 5:00pm. The Meadows closed at 10:00 along with the pool.
Looping with a golf cart was fun, looking at all the Halloween decorations, etc. Also a golf cart makes it easier and quicker to get around the Fort, but not required.
You currently have to wear a mask any time you leave your site. Don't know how you feel about that but it is what it is.
So I guess the answer is, what I've described is the "now". Anything or everything can change by January. Best of luck to you!

Thank you so much for the thorough answer! I'm probably the only one who knows what we'd be "missing" out on. Originally I had thought we'd stay at the fort around the holidays, but I like the appeal of being able to cook if we want to given a lot of our favorite restaurants are closed, especially for breakfast. It's a pity the kids won't get to experience the campfire or HDDR, but at least there are still movies under the stars!

Thank you so much for the thorough answer! I'm probably the only one who knows what we'd be "missing" out on. Originally I had thought we'd stay at the fort around the holidays, but I like the appeal of being able to cook if we want to given a lot of our favorite restaurants are closed, especially for breakfast. It's a pity the kids won't get to experience the campfire or HDDR, but at least there are still movies under the stars!
I always suggest people go direct to the camping forum as that is where the most info is. I only go to the main forums when I get bored :) There's a bunch of us that just got back from a DISmeet there at the Fort. You could ask your question again in there and maybe someone else can give you info I forgot or didn't do so didn't know about.
https://www.disboards.com/forums/camping-at-disney-world.24/

Is it difficult to get pony rides for smaller kids. I am aware they are not taking reservations but not sure when to show up to try to get one. I see the hours most days are 10-3p just wondering if we don’t have a chance to get there til like 1 or 2pm if it’s even possible.

Is it difficult to get pony rides for smaller kids. I am aware they are not taking reservations but not sure when to show up to try to get one. I see the hours most days are 10-3p just wondering if we don’t have a chance to get there til like 1 or 2pm if it’s even possible.

Hey Buzz!

I've never seen a line beyond one person (even in the old days at the old Barn) so it will be a fun event for the child.

I was at the Fort last month and took/posted two pix of the Pony rides. There is a counter/stall inside the public breezeway in the barn that looks like this:

20201016_122803.jpg

Note the different prices for one "lap" versus "two" laps around the pony walk.

When I was there last month they had two ponies "working" that day but whether it's one or two, watching some other child enjoy the ride only heightens the anticipation.

Just outside the counter/door is the step up loading stands for the ponies (two only):

20201016_123003.jpg

Basically the parent leads the pony by a rope as they complete one or two laps. The pony knows where he's going. The Cast Member will tell you the pony's name so you can talk to the child about the pony (my kids still remember Tonka the pony).

Go make some magic memories for the child and take plenty of pictures.

Bama Ed

PS - and come visit us on the DIS Camping Forum and say "hello". :wave2:

Last edited:
Hey Buzz!

I've never seen a line beyond one person (even in the old days at the old Barn) so it will be a fun event for the child.

I was at the Fort last month and took/posted two pix of the Pony rides. There is a counter/stall inside the public breezeway in the barn that looks like this:

20201016_122803.jpg

Note the different prices for one "lap" versus "two" laps around the pony walk.

When I was there last month they had two ponies "working" that day but whether it's one or two, watching some other child enjoy the ride only heightens the anticipation.

Just outside the counter/door is the step up loading stands for the ponies (two only):

20201016_123003.jpg

Basically the parent leads the pony by a rope as they complete one or two laps. The pony knows where he's going. The Cast Member will tell you the pony's name so you can talk to the child about the pony (my kids still remember Tonka the pony).

Go make some magic memories for the child and take plenty of pictures.

Bama Ed

PS - and come visit us on the DIS Camping Forum and say "hello". :wave2:
Wow thanks so much ! Looking forward to it next week.

With this storm approaching the area over the next few days, what are the chances we will be moved to a different resort? I have heard in the past that guests are moved from the cabins at the Fort when a hurricane rolls in due to all the trees. Considering canceling my golf cart rental, too. I can’t see our family of four carting around much in the pouring rain. Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter