Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

I'm doing a somewhat last minute long weekend trip at the very end of (dreaded) August with a group of 8 including my adult niece and her 2 children. I say dreaded August, because ugh... the heat/humidity... not my cup of tea. However, this particular weekend was prompted by my niece based on her availability. We've done a couple of trips together in the past, and I do love going with the little kids. For this trip, I've reserved a Poolside Patio at the Beaches pool for a Saturday after a late Boo Bash Friday night. While I prefer the Courtyard pool, I know that my niece and her kids usually go to the Beaches pool. It'll be my first ever Poolside Patio experience. I'm interested to see what I think of it. (I did try to get a Cabana, but none were available)

You may know this and I’m just being annoying by pointing this out (sorry!), but just in case you don’t know, the Beaches poolside patio is really at the kids splash area. That may be exactly what you wanted with the kids in your group, but just making sure.

Have a great trip!

You may know this and I’m just being annoying by pointing this out (sorry!), but just in case you don’t know, the Beaches poolside patio is really at the kids splash area. That may be exactly what you wanted with the kids in your group, but just making sure.

Have a great trip!
Thanks! Yes, I was aware of that. Not my favorite area, to be sure! But this trip for me is more about the "littles", so I'll deal with the kids splash area.

Have a great trip!
GADisneyDad, now you have me re-thinking (a good thing). I don't know if I want to be sitting by the splash pad area. It looks like it's maybe too separate / too far from the Beach Pool? Then again, a whole group of 8 people... it might be hard to find chairs at the Beach Pool on a Saturday in August. Hmm... cancel and hope to find chairs? Or keep as a pool day "reserved home base" and walk back and forth to the Beach Pool? The "littles" in my group might play at the splash pad some, but will probably want to spend more time at the actual pool.

GADisneyDad, now you have me re-thinking (a good thing). I don't know if I want to be sitting by the splash pad area. It looks like it's maybe too separate / too far from the Beach Pool? Then again, a whole group of 8 people... it might be hard to find chairs at the Beach Pool on a Saturday in August. Hmm... cancel and hope to find chairs? Or keep as a pool day "reserved home base" and walk back and forth to the Beach Pool? The "littles" in my group might play at the splash pad some, but will probably want to spend more time at the actual pool.
At least you can dwell on it up to the day prior. So many things can change between now and then.

I don't even need a chair. I dump my stuff and sit in the water for 20-40 mins then I am out. The only time I ever did a "thing" was the patio at poly on my going home day. For the $55 or so that was worth it to have a home base. I don't mind spending $$$ on things I enjoy but I would not ever use a cabana long enough to justify the rate at GF.

However I have 2 friends that love the cabanas. They like to sit outside for hours and it works for them. It all depends on purpose. Do you want to just sit and enjoy being at gf? Then it will work. If you need to have eyes on the kiddos? Maybe not.

Decisions decisions lol. Disney Planning takes up a lot of our time:)

At least you can dwell on it up to the day prior. So many things can change between now and then.

I don't even need a chair. I dump my stuff and sit in the water for 20-40 mins then I am out. The only time I ever did a "thing" was the patio at poly on my going home day. For the $55 or so that was worth it to have a home base. I don't mind spending $$$ on things I enjoy but I would not ever use a cabana long enough to justify the rate at GF.

However I have 2 friends that love the cabanas. They like to sit outside for hours and it works for them. It all depends on purpose. Do you want to just sit and enjoy being at gf? Then it will work. If you need to have eyes on the kiddos? Maybe not.

Decisions decisions lol. Disney Planning takes up a lot of our time:)
All really great considerations and I appreciate your input! I'm definitely not doing a cabana. They weren't available so I didn't even have to consider whether or not I'd pay that price (which I probably would not). The $159 poolside patio seemed okay for an all-day dedicated space, with shade and seating for 8, including drinks. I go pretty often and typically spend most days at the resort with lots of pool time (late afternoon/evening park gal here). My pool "must have" is a chair in the shade, which I've never had trouble getting. In this case though... group of 8... August... Hot... Makes me nervous about no shade, no chairs or chairs not together. The "eyes on" question is a good one, but I do think we have enough grown-ups to keep a firm eye on the littles, even if we're having to run back and forth. It's just too bad there are no poolside patios at the beach pool.

Tim Tracker just put up a vlog from their stay at The Grand Floridian, Conch Key- The Wekiwa Suite.
What a beautiful room.

Edit: incorrect name of suite.
Thanks for mentioning this video. I hadn't seen it and have been interested in more information the Outer Building Suites. I found Tim Tracker's video helpful. Grand Floridian - Outer Building 1 Bedroom Suite Theme Park View... The online description says "sleeps up to 4 adults" and then lists "1 King Bed and 2 Queen-Size Sleeper Sofas". Wouldn't 2 Queens plus 1 King equal 6 adults? Tim Tracker's video showed 1 King Bed in the bedroom and 1 Sleeper Sofa in the living room. I didn't see a 2nd Sleeper Sofa. It appears that the online room description of sleeping space is incorrect. The suite looks pretty cool, nice balconies (though the bug situation was awful), but 1 King and 1 Sleeper Sofa seems like very little actual sleeping space for such a pricey room. The Grand Floridian "Outer Bldg - 1 Bedroom Ste" (no park view) description online shows "sleeps up to 6 adults" and lists "2 Queen Beds and 1 Double-Size Sleeper Sofa". Online photos seem to indicate that that suite is up in the dormers though, with no balcony in the living room area (ugh). In either case, the price point is such that it would be more cost effective to just get 2 rooms, or try to rent a Villa. The 2 Bedroom Suite... extremely high pricing, online photos also make it appear to be up in the dormers, and also appears to have no balcony off the living room. Interesting.

Thanks for mentioning this video. I hadn't seen it and have been interested in more information the Outer Building Suites. I found Tim Tracker's video helpful. Grand Floridian - Outer Building 1 Bedroom Suite Theme Park View... The online description says "sleeps up to 4 adults" and then lists "1 King Bed and 2 Queen-Size Sleeper Sofas". Wouldn't 2 Queens plus 1 King equal 6 adults? Tim Tracker's video showed 1 King Bed in the bedroom and 1 Sleeper Sofa in the living room. I didn't see a 2nd Sleeper Sofa. It appears that the online room description of sleeping space is incorrect. The suite looks pretty cool, nice balconies (though the bug situation was awful), but 1 King and 1 Sleeper Sofa seems like very little actual sleeping space for such a pricey room. The Grand Floridian "Outer Bldg - 1 Bedroom Ste" (no park view) description online shows "sleeps up to 6 adults" and lists "2 Queen Beds and 1 Double-Size Sleeper Sofa". Online photos seem to indicate that that suite is up in the dormers though, with no balcony in the living room area (ugh). In either case, the price point is such that it would be more cost effective to just get 2 rooms, or try to rent a Villa. The 2 Bedroom Suite... extremely high pricing, online photos also make it appear to be up in the dormers, and also appears to have no balcony off the living room. Interesting.
Years ago there was a website that posted all the suites at GF. There are many different configurations. Some have a bar and an extra small balcony for example. If you walk GF grounds you can see most on 5th floor but some are not. So it’s hard to know what you would get, However if you need something you can always call and request one.

I assume cl access will resume ? Hope so.

We will arrive in two weeks.

No matter what It is still Disney for us.

We have only had mini, local get a ways and a small trip to New York, and little visits to family out of state.

We have decided once we get to the GF, if our room is not available. It is what it is.

Our first ride will be on the Monorail and off to get to EPCOT.

Hoping that the fish and chips will be my luncheon.

Also

Eagerly waiting for any other updates or scoop on the GF. And as usual personal summaries welcomed.

TY ahead of time.

We check in tomorrow and we got a welcome email from Disney that states:

We have the information you provided within the Online Check-In Service and you’re still eligible to use the Direct-to-Room service upon arrival. If your 11:59 PM estimated arrival time has changed, please update via Online Check-In. Providing an accurate ETA will allow us to try to have your room available when you arrive, when possible. We’ll send you room status updates when it gets closer to your arrival time

Ummm...no where did I tell them that we are arriving in at 11:59PM. When I go to Online Check-In, there's no way for me to alter the time because it just says Disney's Magical Express. There is no edit button. We're flying in from MA in the morning and our plane lands at 8:50am! Is this just a normal email from Disney that is just a little messed up?

Edit: Caught someone on DVC chat and they said that is the time it defaults too when no time is put down.

Last edited:
We check in tomorrow and we got a welcome email from Disney that states:

We have the information you provided within the Online Check-In Service and you’re still eligible to use the Direct-to-Room service upon arrival. If your 11:59 PM estimated arrival time has changed, please update via Online Check-In. Providing an accurate ETA will allow us to try to have your room available when you arrive, when possible. We’ll send you room status updates when it gets closer to your arrival time

Ummm...no where did I tell them that we are arriving in at 11:59PM. When I go to Online Check-In, there's no way for me to alter the time because it just says Disney's Magical Express. There is no edit button. We're flying in from MA in the morning and our plane lands at 8:50am! Is this just a normal email from Disney that is just a little messed up?

Edit: Caught someone on DVC chat and they said that is the time it defaults too when no time is put down.

We received these as well before each of our resorts during our split stay a few weeks ago! I was shocked, since I did take the time to do online check-in, and did put an early morning arrival time for both resorts. I quickly went on the app with each text and just reentered our arrival time. Either way, our rooms were not ready till afternoon. Hope you have a great trip! Please take pictures for us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter