• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

Is the walk from GF to MK a lot farther than the walk from Contemporary to MK? We've stayed at Contempory Garden wing before and loved the walk to MK. Just wondering how the walk from GF compares (debating between staying Contemporary again or trying GF). TIA.
It’s not a lot farther, but it’s a bit longer than Contemporary. It’s a lovely walk though. Some pictures I took a couple of weeks ago.

A10A9B06-F20A-4C7B-B9C6-86F8287E9EF9.jpegEF6C5171-71B8-4AE0-9F1A-E068F6A66154.jpegE86C9E8D-A8A0-447E-BB8B-8ECF20FEBD78.jpeg4688DCAF-5C04-44A3-A3D4-DA52A28BA4F4.jpeg

Is the walk from GF to MK a lot farther than the walk from Contemporary to MK? We've stayed at Contempory Garden wing before and loved the walk to MK. Just wondering how the walk from GF compares (debating between staying Contemporary again or trying GF). TIA.
It took us about 16 minutes to walk from MK to GF. It is a really nice walk, without any traffic to worry about. :)

Last edited:

When does the lobby construction start? We will be at the Poly in December and planned to head over for the big gingerbread house. I’m wondering if the planned construction will impact the holiday decorations and activities. Thx!

When does the lobby construction start? We will be at the Poly in December and planned to head over for the big gingerbread house. I’m wondering if the planned construction will impact the holiday decorations and activities. Thx!
I haven't seen any announcement with dates for the refurb. I'd be surprised if they do it during the holidays.

NEW Grand Floridian Resort Loungefly Mini Backpack Arrives at Walt Disney World

We found this new Grand Floridian Loungefly mini backpack inside the resort at Curiouser Clothers. If you’re looking to take a piece of the stunning deluxe resort with you on the go, this is it!

Grand Floridian Loungefly Mini Backpack — $75

Grand Floridian Loungefly

We just got back last night from an 8 night stay at the GF, we had a fabulous time! I was concerned about the construction noise and it was really a non-issue. We stayed in BPK, standard view, 9*02 which we were very happy with. Was great to see the fireworks from the balcony in the evenings. If you went to the Courtyard pool midday you'd hear some noise off and on from the construction but we didn't hear it at all in our room or at the Beach pool. By the evening you could hang noise free at the Courtyard pool as well.

Some pluses -
We were very happy with the room and location.

My son loved the Beach pool and probably went down the slide 100x over the course of the week. We enjoyed the food/drinks and spent many hours just happily hanging out there. I had the lobster sliders and cucumber salad 3x during the week, they were delicious.

It was super quick and easy to take the ferry back to the resort after late evenings at the MK.

Renting a pontoon boat was a fun activity on a resort day.

I was pleased to find photo pass photographers at the resort in a few different locations over the course of the week, we got some cute pics!

Our dinner at Citricos was beyond our expectations, it was fabulous. I got to have a bit of quiet solo time at the Enchanted Rose for a cocktail and wish I had gotten to go back. The lounge is gorgeous and the drinks are delicious, worth a stop! The GFC was also enjoyable though was a bit slow on both occasions for the food to come (I'd budget 1.5 hours vs 1 hour if you have some place to be).

Not sure if we just got lucky, but we never waited more than 5 minutes for buses to AK, DHS, and Disney Springs.

Basically everyone was super happy with the resort and amenities. It was gorgeous, every day was enjoyable. The CMs there are amazing and keep the resort pristine and running smoothly.

Some minuses -
I wasn't thrilled with the selections at Gasparilla Grill. It was odd to me the macaroni and cheese came with french fries, who wants that combo? I tried to swap the fries for a vegetable or side salad to no avail. Overall I found their selections very limited for both entrees and dessert treats. We enjoyed what we had but wish the lunch/dinner menu had more varied options. It seemed more like a lunch menu to me vs dinner. The Contemporary had a fantastic dessert display, wish the GF had something similar (vs the two cupcake options they had).

I wish their gift shop had more items available and stayed open later. They sent me to the Contemporary to purchase a boys size t-shirt (where I found several options). Seemed odd such a nice resort had such a limited gift shop. I could get bath bombs or a nice purse but not a kid's size Mickey t-shirt for my son to wear to the park the next day (they had one with long sleeves, who is buying that when it's 95 degrees outside?). The girls selection seemed a bit better than the boys.

There were only two washers and two dryers in BPK and they were pretty busy.

We don't usually stay in DVC, so I don't have much to compare it to, but they didn't stock the room with anything till day 8. I had to get toilet paper 3x, more shampoo/body wash, remove the old towels, etc, I was just surprised since they were coming in and taking out the trash each day they wouldn't put in another roll of toilet paper or remove the towels at the same time. I did like they had carts right outside with extra towels, made it super easy to get them for late night or early morning showers. Really not a big deal and we were very happy with our stay.

IMG_9363.jpeg

I enjoyed reading your review @daisylovesdisney, thank you for posting. I agree with you about Gaspys… it used to be such a gem but it has lost a step since reopening (in my humble opinion). Glad you enjoyed your trip.

I enjoyed reading your review @daisylovesdisney, thank you for posting. I agree with you about Gaspys… it used to be such a gem but it has lost a step since reopening (in my humble opinion). Glad you enjoyed your trip.
Thank you, we had a fabulous stay and look forward to returning one day!
Gaspys makes great iced caramel macchiatos! Sometimes we make a special morning trip if we are in the area.
Hope to try that in the future, sounds delicious!

What is the best studio room that faces the lagoon and magic kingdom?
I always googlemap my resort and look at that. You will get your bearing on where pools, lobby, lagoon etc are in relation to the building of interest,

You can also use touringplans for room finder tool as well.

How that helps 🤔😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter