Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

DH says he doesn’t care where we stay, I just want him to love GF like I do. That’s where we bought our DVC contract at after all! I just need some advice or reassurance that I should just keep VGF and that he will love it.
He probably will never love GF the way you do, but you could try to lessen the things that he wouldn't like. Don't dine at the sit down restaurants. They are too stuffy. ;) The construction going on at the buildings, which might be Sago Cay, isn't near the VGF rooms. He might just be happy that you are happy. :)

We are fairly new to DVC (bought VGF last May). This is our first stay at VGF on points. We have a Resort Studio room booked for the first week of May, just DH and I for our anniversary. I LOVE everything about GF, but my DH, who by the way has never stayed there, and has only walked around the resort and eaten at Narcoossee’s and Grand Floridian Cafe, thinks it’s stuffy and snobby and isn’t thrilled to stay there. I know there’s lots of construction going on, which is fine and doesn’t bother me a bit. I’m worried DH isn’t going to give it a fair chance because he won’t get to see it in all its glory. Am I over thinking this? Is the construction and areas that are blocked off going to be overwhelming? To me, as long as the pools are open, that’s all I need. We are mostly park open to park close people. The walkway to MK will not be closed off due to the remodel I’m assuming because I definitely want to be able to walk there. I guess I’m just wondering how people felt about everything going on there that has stayed recently. Plus by the time May comes, how much of the construction will be done or left to do? I just lucked up and snagged a BLT studio for the same dates, but I don’t want to hold on to both for too long so I can give someone else the opportunity to book the one I drop. We haven’t stayed in a BLT studio and I have not read great things about it’s size. It seems only the location is a positive. We did stay at BLT 2 BR for our welcome home stay in September. It wasn’t my favorite room design and I didn’t get all the “Disney feels” in there like I would want to, but the location was good and we had a MK view. Another factor is BLT is less points than VGF. DH says he doesn’t care where we stay, I just want him to love GF like I do. That’s where we bought our DVC contract at after all! I just need some advice or reassurance that I should just keep VGF and that he will love it.
From a fellow VGF owner and lover, I'm definitely following your thought process. If I wanted someone else to fall in love with the resort as much as I love it, I'd be hesitant to take them during construction, because you want them to have the "full" experience. We stayed at a resort studio for a night in November and the room/building were fantastic. However it was a construction maze to get to the boat dock, which I could see changing the vibe and feeling of the resort for someone who doesn't have prior experience there. I would hope that by May, the renovations on Conch Key and Sugar Loaf, as well as Narcoossee's, would be completed (see mrsap's update post a few back for the most recent pictures) but I might consider waiting if the lobby is in the midst of construction. I would hold your backup reservation for a bit longer in hopes that we might get more info on what's going to happen with the lobby and the scope of the updates. And in the meantime, maybe waitlist another studio that you might prefer as a backup over BLT? You never know, maybe something better will pop up.

...we received en email this weekend that indoor construction/rehab on the lobby area is set to begin March 1. Boy am I bummed....
Can you share the wording of the email? Did it come from a travel agent or Disney? March 1st is really soon, so I'm at least hoping they finally let us know their plans for the lobby and the 2 restaurants that never reopened after the pandemic. So sorry for the impact to your trip though; that would make me sad as well!

We are fairly new to DVC (bought VGF last May). This is our first stay at VGF on points. We have a Resort Studio room booked for the first week of May, just DH and I for our anniversary. I LOVE everything about GF, but my DH, who by the way has never stayed there, and has only walked around the resort and eaten at Narcoossee’s and Grand Floridian Cafe, thinks it’s stuffy and snobby and isn’t thrilled to stay there. I know there’s lots of construction going on, which is fine and doesn’t bother me a bit. I’m worried DH isn’t going to give it a fair chance because he won’t get to see it in all its glory. Am I over thinking this? Is the construction and areas that are blocked off going to be overwhelming? To me, as long as the pools are open, that’s all I need. We are mostly park open to park close people. The walkway to MK will not be closed off due to the remodel I’m assuming because I definitely want to be able to walk there. I guess I’m just wondering how people felt about everything going on there that has stayed recently. Plus by the time May comes, how much of the construction will be done or left to do? I just lucked up and snagged a BLT studio for the same dates, but I don’t want to hold on to both for too long so I can give someone else the opportunity to book the one I drop. We haven’t stayed in a BLT studio and I have not read great things about it’s size. It seems only the location is a positive. We did stay at BLT 2 BR for our welcome home stay in September. It wasn’t my favorite room design and I didn’t get all the “Disney feels” in there like I would want to, but the location was good and we had a MK view. Another factor is BLT is less points than VGF. DH says he doesn’t care where we stay, I just want him to love GF like I do. That’s where we bought our DVC contract at after all! I just need some advice or reassurance that I should just keep VGF and that he will love it.
It’s funny, because before we stayed at The Grand for the very first time, our friend, (who is a Disney vet) told us the same thing (about it being too fancy… etc.) he literally had one bad experience with someone who annoyed him and based his feelings on that situation. For my 40th birthday, I wanted to stay there and give it a chance, and he stayed with us too. Although it took him a little longer, we fell in love instantly, and literally came home and bought DVC at The Grand!! We were so upset we didn’t try it sooner!! We now stay there at least 1-2 times a year. We love the property, we love how everything is in close proximity, we love the lobby, great club level lounge, we love that you can walk, take the monorail, or the boat to the Magic Kingdom and the Monorail to EPCOT, pools are great, our favorite restaurant Narcoossee’s is there… just so much to love! I always recommend people to watch YouTube videos, and that way you can compare resorts and see exactly what you’re getting. For a first timer, seeing all the construction might be daunting, but I personally would still take The Grand and the construction than stay anywhere else. Hope you guys can come to a decision you’re both happy with!

I would take an old non-refurbished cash room at GF over a BLT studio any day! The BLT studios are very tiny. If you didn't feel special in the 2-bedroom this definitely won't do it! I would personally stick with VGF. The only thing BLT studios have over VGF resort studios would be the full kitchenette.

Sago Cay will probably be the last building converted and is close to the walking path, but I can't see it being closed. Disney rerouted the Poly/GF walking path during construction. I would expect it to stay open.
Thank you. I really think you are right. My heart really is with GF. My first stay there was last year for my 40th birthday girl trip (pre DVC cash stay) and we got upgraded to the main building TPV CL room. It was a lifelong dream come true for me to even stay at GF, much less to get pixie dusted with that great room! It was nothing short of amazing. That’s honestly why I ended up buying DVC at VGF. No other resort have ever given me all the “feels”. I just know that the new resort studios are going to blow me away too. DH doesn’t have the passion for Disney like I do.. he only goes because it’s my happy place. 😊

He probably will never love GF the way you do, but you could try to lessen the things that he wouldn't like. Don't dine at the sit down restaurants. They are too stuffy. ;) The construction going on at the buildings, which might be Sago Cay, isn't near the VGF rooms. He might just be happy that you are happy. :)
Right you are! He doesn’t even love Disney the way I do. I’m going to cancel BLT and everything is going to be great!

From a fellow VGF owner and lover, I'm definitely following your thought process. If I wanted someone else to fall in love with the resort as much as I love it, I'd be hesitant to take them during construction, because you want them to have the "full" experience. We stayed at a resort studio for a night in November and the room/building were fantastic. However it was a construction maze to get to the boat dock, which I could see changing the vibe and feeling of the resort for someone who doesn't have prior experience there. I would hope that by May, the renovations on Conch Key and Sugar Loaf, as well as Narcoossee's, would be completed (see mrsap's update post a few back for the most recent pictures) but I might consider waiting if the lobby is in the midst of construction. I would hold your backup reservation for a bit longer in hopes that we might get more info on what's going to happen with the lobby and the scope of the updates. And in the meantime, maybe waitlist another studio that you might prefer as a backup over BLT? You never know, maybe something better will pop up.
That makes sense, and it’s true by May, who knows how much will be done and where they’ll be at in the construction process. If I did waitlist anything, it would be Poly. We haven’t stayed there before, but I know we’d love it too. It’s definitely on our bucket list. I always lean toward MK resorts. We looked at RIV rooms, and they are super nice, but DH didn’t care for the resort as a whole. He said it didn’t feel like being at Disney at all there. I’ve looked at BC and BWV rooms and they seem so outdated, plus are so hard to get. We stayed in a 2 BR at CCV on Sept. for a couple nights. WL has always been our go to resort, so of course we loved it. I just wish it was on the monorail. The more I think about it, I just keep leaning toward staying at VGF. It’s where we bought so we will have lots of years to stay there after all the construction is done and maybe he will grow to love it.

I read the below on WDW News:

Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa will celebrate its 35th anniversary on July 1, 2023.

Anyone thing that means the lobby renovations will be not so overwhelming and finished by July 1st if they are now slated to begin on March 1? Have a late August family trip in the resort studios and wondering the chances of the lobby renovations being finished.

...we received en email this weekend that indoor construction/rehab on the lobby area is set to begin March 1. Boy am I bummed....
Oh man, have a stay there in early April, was thinking they wouldn't start the lobby during the busy spring break season.

I was at gf in Nov and Jan . The construction really was only near the boat dock but was a minor inconvenience. The new rooms are so gorgeous ! I have a few more nights booked in May because we loved the new look!

I was just about to write to def stay at gf but if @kimmar067 is correct the lobby remodel could change things for you. Don’t feel bad about holding a room, I often have 2 or 3. When we cancel someone WILL snag it up.

For me the lobby won’t bother me since we go so often as AP holders. For your dh that might be a deal breaker. However let’s see what they do. It could be a small section at a time and a small impact or a total nightmare. Time will tell.
....well, I'll be sure to post pics....we're staying in the DVC building, so it shouldn't impact us [hopefully] too much...

I read the below on WDW News:

Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa will celebrate its 35th anniversary on July 1, 2023.

Anyone thing that means the lobby renovations will be not so overwhelming and finished by July 1st if they are now slated to begin on March 1? Have a late August family trip in the resort studios and wondering the chances of the lobby renovations being finished.
Morning

I have a trip planned for early June and I am also hoping that not only will the lobby be finished but I get to see it for myself.

I am thinking.....just me thinking. That it I am hoping that so much was done already upstairs, that it will be quicker rather than slower. I am worried about the GF Cafe, it need love in a big way but we love it and hope its open for June.

I truly hope I get to see everything done, now that I am thinking about it all the store and the where they host tea....very exciting. Oh boy that still is a lot to get done not including RPC....I regretting my thought process...lol

....well, I'll be sure to post pics....we're staying in the DVC building, so it shouldn't impact us [hopefully] too much...
I wouldn’t worry. You should not be impacted at all in the DVC Bldg. The only minor issue will be walking around property and seeing some areas with construction walls, some background noise when passing by, and pathways redirected in that area. Both pools are still open, the pool bars are still serving and best of all, you’re staying at The Grand! 😊 Have a great time!!

I wouldn’t worry. You should not be impacted at all in the DVC Bldg. The only minor issue will be walking around property and seeing some areas with construction walls, some background noise when passing by, and pathways redirected in that area. Both pools are still open, the pool bars are still serving and best of all, you’re staying at The Grand! 😊 Have a great time!!
....it is what it is....besides, we'll only be staying there 3 days before heading to the Riviera...

Lagoon views are the cash rooms and DVC resort studios. Lake views are in the original dedicated DVC building. I guess the original dedicated DVC building technically has views of Bay Lake and not only the Seven Seas Lagoon? You mostly see CR and Poly from the original dedicated DVC building unless you are in the grand villa.
I know that we will be in the DVC building, but my DS has a lake view and we have a lagoon view - I believe both are studios.

I know that we will be in the DVC building, but my DS has a lake view and we have a lagoon view - I believe both are studios.
Lake View should be located in the original DVC building and a Lagoon View should be located in the new Big Pine Key building. Does your reservation say “Resort Studio?”

Construction at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort to Impact Floridian Way Traffic

Construction on the expansion of Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort will impact traffic on Floridian Way through late summer 2023.

The work will begin today and is expected to cause brief and intermittent delays on Floridian Way.

The new traffic ramp connecting Floridian Way and World Drive finally opened in December. Construction recently reduced World Drive to one lane not far from the Magic Kingdom parking plaza.

@mrsap hit the nail on the head! Sounds like you may have a deluxe studio (lake view) and resort studio (lagoon view) booked.

The original dedicated DVC building consists of deluxe studios, 1 bedrooms, 2 bedrooms, and grand villas. The deluxe studio has the traditional DVC kitchenette and split stall shower and tub shower.

The converted Big Pine Key rooms are all resort studios with 2 dedicated queen beds, beverage cooler, and standard bathroom setup. These rooms are the same as the new cash rooms (+ microwave for DVC).

They are all Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa. Deluxe studios come in standard and lake view. Resort studios come in standard, lagoon, and theme park views. Same points (except for theme park), but different buildings.

I'm super excited to be staying the VGF for the first time this weekend! We are DVC members, but decided on a last minute trip and I was able to piece together three nights at the GF. Our first two nights are in a Resort Studio Theme Park View and the last night is in a Studio Lake View. Can you tell me about these two different room categories? What will the differences be between the two? Will we be able to see the fireworks from our room in the Theme Park View room? Any tips on room switch day? Also, how long should I anticipate it taking to take the monorail to Epcot? Is there a walkway between the Poly and GF? Thank you so much! So excited for our first stay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter