Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

Hi All!

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, I have updated PAGE 1 to reflect the current Construction Progress at The Grand. I will continue to update it as we get more information. Hope it is helpful!
This is a great idea! Are you sure Sago isn't closed right now also though? I assumed it was closed because it's all blocked off and there is scaffolding, etc. Also looked like active work going on. This video was from 3/3 - check out 15:52...

This is a great idea! Are you sure Sago isn't closed right now also though? I assumed it was closed because it's all blocked off and there is scaffolding, etc. Also looked like active work going on. This video was from 3/3 - check out 15:52...
Thanks for sharing. I have not seen anything official saying it’s closed at this time, but based on that video we can assume so. If anyone is there and can tell us for certain either way, I’d appreciate it. Thanks!

When you say "converted", do you mean updated? We are not staying DVC, just regular room with the dining promo gift card. If all the outer building rooms have been updated, I won't call to request. I just wasn't sure how many of the buildings have been updated yet and wanted to know our chances of getting an updated room. Thank you for your help!
Sorry, my bad. Yes, I meant to say updated and not converted (that was only BPK). The buildings will either be 100% updated and open OR 1 out of 4 buildings will be closed for updates, but the other 3 open buildings will be finished.

I will change the word for clarity in my previous post.

Does anyone know if they do construction on Saturdays and Sundays, or is it just a week day thing? Thanks!
I go for walks on property often and have not yet seen them working over a weekend. Just my experience, I could just be lucky!

I believe the only time I have seen BVCC working a weekend is when they were making an urgent repair to the pool at AKL.

Another recent GF walkthrough (very thorough!) This was posted on 3/7.
Thank you so much for posting. I’m so homesick for the GF, I’d even settle for that roadside walk from the Poly!

I must admit to some rather vivid daydreaming recently and at least one déjà vu moment involving Artie Shaw’s ‘Moonglow’ and Gasparilla’s. Well, in my mind anyway!

Your walkthrough was so thorough that I could almost feel the warmth and sense the aromas from flowers and even the air conditioning! So, thank you for sending me straight back to my happy place!

Thank you so much for posting. I’m so homesick for the GF, I’d even settle for that roadside walk from the Poly!

I must admit to some rather vivid daydreaming recently and at least one déjà vu moment involving Artie Shaw’s ‘Moonglow’ and Gasparilla’s. Well, in my mind anyway!

Your walkthrough was so thorough that I could almost feel the warmth and sense the aromas from flowers and even the air conditioning! So, thank you for sending me straight back to my happy place!
Yes, definitely felt like I was there while watching it too! I like to leave videos like that one on in the background while I work, for ambiance. If you go onto the creator's YouTube channel, she has another GF walkthrough that she posted last month. Haven't watched that one yet, but that will be today's background noise for me :-).

Hi All!

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, I have updated PAGE 1 to reflect the current Construction Progress at The Grand. I will continue to update it as we get more information. Hope it is helpful!

Thanks for the update! Very much looking forward to our stay later this year, it's been a long time since we've left the Boardwalk area. Should be fun! :cloud9:

We are staying here for the first time in October and we cant wait. Got a few questions.

We hate the buses. Is it possible to get to HS or AK without the bus by using a combination of the monorail/skyliner/boat?

What buildings are DVC? We are doing the DVC rental and just curious.

Can we use the pool prior to check-in time at 4pm? We will be getting to the resort around 10 am but don't want to go to the park that day.

Does they decorate any for Halloween? We hope to time our stay and do the MK halloween party one of the nights and just curious if the resort has any cool decorations or stuff to do.

We are staying here for the first time in October and we cant wait. Got a few questions.

We hate the buses. Is it possible to get to HS or AK without the bus by using a combination of the monorail/skyliner/boat?

Can we use the pool prior to check-in time at 4pm? We will be getting to the resort around 10 am but don't want to go to the park that day.

Does they decorate any for Halloween? We hope to time our stay and do the MK halloween party one of the nights and just curious if the resort has any cool decorations or stuff to do.

Technically, yes for Hollywood Studios. But you're in for a lot of travel. You will need an EPCOT park pass reservation and can only do this after 2 PM once park hopping begins.
- Monorail from GF to TTC
- Transfer the the EPCOT monorail, enter EPCOT and walk to the World Showcase exit.
- Skyliner to the CBR transfer station
- Skyliner to HS

There is no way to do this with AK. I would just take a Minnie Van (Lyft/Uber). It's quick and easy if you don't mind paying for it.

DVC rooms are housed in the Villas building (next to the Wedding Pavillion) and the new Resort Studio DVC rooms are housed in Big Pine Key.

The pool can be used all day on check-in. I always start my trips this way!

The parks and resorts are decorated for Halloween. But, most of the Halloween vibes will be at Magic Kingdom during the party.

DVC has its own building on the Poly side of the resort Big Pine Key was recently converted into a DVC resort. If you booked a resort studio, you will be at BPK. Any other type DVC room will be in the original DVC building.

I can’t think of any way to get to AK or DHS without taking the bus for at least part of the trip. You can catch a bus from the MK to CBR and catch skyliner to DHS. AK is going to be the bus. The only way to completely avoid the bus to DHS would be to take monorail to Epcot. You would have to walk through Epcot and exit out the back and catch the skyliner to DHS. The problem with that is the current park reservation system and hopping policy would make it very difficult.

A few pictures, notes, and comments from my walk around GF today. We are staying this weekend in a DVC Resort Studio (lagoon view). Please note that my experience and opinions may differ from others. These are just my thoughts.

So, that recent video posted by *vlogger who will not be named* grossly misinterprets the current state of construction at the Grand Floridian. It's not nearly as bad as he made it out to be. I have seen much worse over the years.

There are many rooms on property right now that are totally unaffected. As a reference point, I am extremely sensitive to noise.

Blue = I would have no issue staying there.
Yellow = Questionable, depending on how noisy the construction is that day.
Red = I would ask to be moved to a different room.

Sago Cay and Sugarloaf are currently closed, with no foot traffic allowed in or out.

You may be asking why part of the DVC Villas building is marked in yellow. Well, surprisingly, I was able to hear quite a lot of construction noise due to the new Poly DVC tower. I can't confirm if it was loud enough to hear in a room with the door closed... however I definitely heard drilling, construction vehicles, and yelling from the covered dropoff area.

map.jpg

The biggest disruption for me was the chaos with the Club Cars (golf carts). They are everywhere. And they are travelling full speed... on the lawn, walkways, everywhere. BVCC is using them to haul construction equipment, Mousekeeping is using them as they always do, and then you have the everyday Cast Members just using them to drive around. It was uncomfortable to walk around mid-day, and I'm a fast walker in my early 30s. You can *feel* them driving slowly behind you waiting to pass.

On a brighter note... the main Beach Pool is far enough away from all construction where you are not affected by it. And the main building has nothing going on right now construction wise, besides the Easter snacks. If you're OK tolerating some noise, the Courtyard Pool is fine, too (it was packed today... Spring Break). But, personally, I would stick to the Beach Pool.

Oh, and the boats are running!

So, would I spend money to stay here with the current state? Absolutely, assuming I can get a room in one of the areas highlighted in blue on my map. I think the vloggers are making it out to be much worse than it actually is.

IMG_9520.JPEG

IMG_9527.JPEG

IMG_9521.JPEG

IMG_9522.JPEG

IMG_9525.JPEG

IMG_9524.JPEG

IMG_9526.JPEG

A few pictures, notes, and comments from my walk around GF today. We are staying this weekend in a DVC Resort Studio (lagoon view). Please note that my experience and opinions may differ from others. These are just my thoughts.

So, that recent video posted by *vlogger who will not be named* grossly misinterprets the current state of construction at the Grand Floridian. It's not nearly as bad as he made it out to be. I have seen much worse over the years.

There are many rooms on property right now that are totally unaffected. As a reference point, I am extremely sensitive to noise.

Blue = I would have no issue staying there.
Yellow = Questionable, depending on how noisy the construction is that day.
Red = I would ask to be moved to a different room.

Sago Cay and Sugarloaf are currently closed, with no foot traffic allowed in or out.

You may be asking why part of the DVC Villas building is marked in yellow. Well, surprisingly, I was able to hear quite a lot of construction noise due to the new Poly DVC tower. I can't confirm if it was loud enough to hear in a room with the door closed... however I definitely heard drilling, construction vehicles, and yelling from the covered dropoff area.

View attachment 746817

The biggest disruption for me was the chaos with the Club Cars (golf carts). They are everywhere. And they are travelling full speed... on the lawn, walkways, everywhere. BVCC is using them to haul construction equipment, Mousekeeping is using them as they always do, and then you have the everyday Cast Members just using them to drive around. It was uncomfortable to walk around mid-day, and I'm a fast walker in my early 30s. You can *feel* them driving slowly behind you waiting to pass.

On a brighter note... the main Beach Pool is far enough away from all construction where you are not affected by it. And the main building has nothing going on right now construction wise, besides the Easter snacks. If you're OK tolerating some noise, the Courtyard Pool is fine, too (it was packed today... Spring Break). But, personally, I would stick to the Beach Pool.

Oh, and the boats are running!

So, would I spend money to stay here with the current state? Absolutely, assuming I can get a room in one of the areas highlighted in blue on my map. I think the vloggers are making it out to be much worse than it actually is.

View attachment 746819

View attachment 746823

View attachment 746824

View attachment 746825

View attachment 746821

View attachment 746820

View attachment 746822
Thank you for sharing! Love all the little details! Hope you enjoyed your walk!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter