Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

I was there last week, below is a pic of the main building. Scaffolding and rerouted pathways were still present.

Apologies the picture isn't up close, but I took it this way on purpose to show that it's really a small part of the overall resort. We were in Boca Chica and it didn't hurt our enjoyment of the stay at all.

View attachment 796928
Completely agree!!! I’ve had 4 trips to The Grand since construction started. One trip with two buildings under full renovation. It did not bother us at all, nor did it take away any of our enjoyment while staying there. The rooms were in need of an refresh and I’m happy to see them getting the attention they needed. Hope you had fun!

We are here now. We were told by a manager that the pool slide will be closed until 9/29. It’s a bit of a bummer with two kids and no slide. I’m sure if you ask for some sort of options they would accommodate. 🤫
Does this mean opening back up on the 29th?? 🤞 This is our first trip to GF and that will be our last day there. My daughter will be so disappointed if it’s closed. 😭

Does this mean opening back up on the 29th?? 🤞 This is our first trip to GF and that will be our last day there. My daughter will be so disappointed if it’s closed. 😭
Maybe you could take the monorail to the Polynesian and use the pool/slide there? When we were at GF last week they weren't checking room cards to make sure pool-users were staying there, and even if they were I'm sure they'd allow it since the GF waterslide is down.

Maybe you could take the monorail to the Polynesian and use the pool/slide there? When we were at GF last week they weren't checking room cards to make sure pool-users were staying there, and even if they were I'm sure they'd allow it since the GF waterslide is down.
Poly is very strict with the lava pool and you must be a resort guest to swim there. You have to scan your magicband just to get in the pool gate. 😕 It’s possible they’re allowing it while the GF slide is down, but I’m sure they’ll have to get permission and be granted access.

It does not hurt to ask a cast member or manager, if any accommodations can be made, if the slide is still down while you’re there. This was posted a page back:

We are here now. We were told by a manager that the pool slide will be closed until 9/29. It’s a bit of a bummer with two kids and no slide. I’m sure if you ask for some sort of options they would accommodate. 🤫
Hope it’s open by your trip!

Last edited:

Poly is very strict with the lava pool and you must be a resort guest to swim there. You have to scan your magicband just to get in the pool gate. 😕

That sucks - is Contemporary the same way with their pool?

That sucks - is Contemporary the same way with their pool?
I’m pretty sure that pool hopping has been restricted since Covid. Even prior to Covid, it was very limited to which resorts you could hop to. It was a DVC perk, but I know you were also able to swim at The Grand if you rented a cabana back then. Don’t recall the others.

I have never been there. What do you like about it? Is it the food, characters, room is unique. I keep wanting to ask someone but never do.

My kids didnt like to sit long to eat so I missed out on a lot of these.

So it was never on my radar. But back in 2019, my daughter and I did a trip just the two of us. On our last park day, we were at MK and had already done everything (because we had done an after hours party earlier that week), and we were tired. So I just happened to pick up the app to see if any nice dining was available. There was a ressie available there, so we went. By then, my daughter was out of her character phase (we love them, we just don't go out of our way to see them anymore). We absolutely loved it. We loved how pretty it was, the food, and the character interaction was extraordinary. The stepmother was the best!

Walls Down Around Gasparilla Island Grill, Construction Tunnel Removed From Entrance at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

Earlier this month, we reported that scaffolding had partially come down on the balconies above the quick-service restaurant.

Construction Walls Down at Gasparilla Island Grill

With work seemingly wrapped up in this area, the walls have also come down.

Construction Walls Down at Gasparilla Island Grill

Taking a look at the Grand Floridian from across the Seven Seas Lagoon, we can see that crews are actively at work on the roof of the resort.

Grand Floridian Construction 9-29-23

Scaffolding covers the entire left side of the building, as well as the lower middle and far right sections.

We spotted an entire team at work on the roof, likely continuing with the process of replacing the red tiles.

Scaffolding has gone up around the center turret on this building, as well.

On this building, we saw crew members in two lifts hard at work.

We previously saw these lifts working on guests rooms on the other side of this building. Now it appears so though they’re working on the siding.

Am I crazy for booking a cabana early December? I know we can cancel up to 48 hours prior, but has anyone enjoyed a cabana in late fall or winter? The price definitely reflects the iffiness lol.

Am I crazy for booking a cabana early December? I know we can cancel up to 48 hours prior, but has anyone enjoyed a cabana in late fall or winter? The price definitely reflects the iffiness lol.
I’d wait and see the weather forecast closer to your date. I’ve been in December when it’s definitely plenty warm to swim, and I’ve been in December a few times when I had to buy sweatpants because I was freezing. The warm days tend to outnumber the really cold ones, though. The only time I ever turned my heat on when we lived in Orlando was December 12-13, 1998. My daughter was born on the 11th, and we had a cold snap, and I was afraid she’d be cold. All the other days we lived there, my a/c was on.

Have there been any reports from guests at RPC since it’s reopened? I can’t seem to find anything. They still didn’t reopen any availability for rooms for early November, but I haven’t heard anything about my existing reservation.

So it was never on my radar. But back in 2019, my daughter and I did a trip just the two of us. On our last park day, we were at MK and had already done everything (because we had done an after hours party earlier that week), and we were tired. So I just happened to pick up the app to see if any nice dining was available. There was a ressie available there, so we went. By then, my daughter was out of her character phase (we love them, we just don't go out of our way to see them anymore). We absolutely loved it. We loved how pretty it was, the food, and the character interaction was extraordinary. The stepmother was the best!
Oh thanks for responding! Yep sometimes we have that happen too, and unexpected Disney moment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter