Disney's miscalculation with Genie/Genie+

I absolutely do not want to drive myself in a rental car on vacation. I commute 90 minutes roundtrip to work, so the last thing I want to do is navigate the traffic/construction mess that is Orlando and its suburbs. I also want to drink and not have to worry about driving. So a rental car is out of the question for me. If I were to rideshare, that has its own set of costs and restrictions, not to mention I'd still have to go out to TTC to catch it.

We can agree to disagree on the matter. There's no point in trying to convince anyone to stay on-site or off-site because everyone vacations differently and places different values on each of these considerations. For me, the convenience of Disney resorts and transportation coupled with the immersive theme (and also package deliveries when that resumes) make it worth the added cost for me to stay on-site. So, I budget accordingly for this. If you'd rather be more budget-focused, there's nothing wrong with that. But there's nothing wrong with chalking the price difference up to the cost of convenience and preference either.

I agree with your point about drinking. Im not a drinker, so I never considered that when suggesting the car rental, but your points on proximity and ease of transportation via bus in the Disney Springs area are not correct.

As I stated in my previous post, I stay onsite. Barely a budget. Deluxe hotel w/ DxDDP for 10 - 12 nights is our norm. Club Level...no, but dont need it on DxDDP. Presidential Suite no. Theme Park View no. Usually garden or waterview room. But with all that, I have to admit even I am a fool for doing it. Its really not any more convenient staying at the Poly and driving to AK/DHS/Different resorts for dining (actually its more convenient with a car because its hard to get around the resorts by bus and boat.) The ONLY difference is the ability to prepay the entire package onsite vs pay for meals while youre there, staying off site. Thats it. Off site is often closer to the parks, has the buses, better rooms, same tickets, extra morning hours, same booking windows for dining, MDE options etc... everything.

DS hotels are actually closer to the parks than some of the values.

You could use some of the HUGE amount of money you save by staying off property on a rental car and zip to anywhere you want to go without waiting for Disney transportation. Even at the end of an MK night its over 1/2 hour waiting for the resort monorail and ferry is worse as it goes to multiple resorts and some only hold like 40 people! (GF/Poly in particular). I just rented a midsized SUV from Hertz for a week $290 including prepaid gas. If I stayed off site for a week, I could have saved

(Using last week of Sept dates ...value season)

B resort is currently $97/night, Wydham $139, Hilton $166. (Best Western is building a new tower and not open yet)

View attachment 602857

vs Value - All Stars are....$191 - $360 (for Music??? not sure why) , but clearly Hilton is a WAY better hotel! And closer to the parks!
vs Value - Pop & AoA are $290+ per night.. saving $700 +and renting a car for $300 you still have $400+ extra
vs Mod - Coronado - $277, Caribbean Beach $310,
vs Deluxe - IF youre lucky, you can get AK and WL in the low 500's. Most are $600+ So lets say $566..on the low side... you would save $2800 - $300 for car. = $2500.

Do you know what you could do with $2500? Go to Disney again!!!!

View attachment 602852
Disney transportation was ATROCIOUS the last trip we took in July. You could wait for an hour or more for a bus for no particular rhyme or reason. The bus stops weren't even that crowded, the buses were just so irregular. We were staying at the Boardwalk and after 2 days gave up and just started using Uber's & Lyft's to get to Animal Kingdom, and Magic Kingdom (via drop off at the Contemporary). Disney's bus transportation is not much a perk in my opinion.

I absolutely do not want to drive myself in a rental car on vacation. I commute 90 minutes roundtrip to work, so the last thing I want to do is navigate the traffic/construction mess that is Orlando and its suburbs. I also want to drink and not have to worry about driving. So a rental car is out of the question for me. If I were to rideshare, that has its own set of costs and restrictions, not to mention I'd still have to go out to TTC to catch it.

We can agree to disagree on the matter. There's no point in trying to convince anyone to stay on-site or off-site because everyone vacations differently and places different values on each of these considerations. For me, the convenience of Disney resorts and transportation coupled with the immersive theme (and also package deliveries when that resumes) make it worth the added cost for me to stay on-site. So, I budget accordingly for this. If you'd rather be more budget-focused, there's nothing wrong with that. But there's nothing wrong with chalking the price difference up to the cost of convenience and preference either.
100% agree with you, I've said before but i don't drive, never got my license since i grew up in a big city with public transportation everywhere, and my husband is a bus driver so the last thing he wants to do is drive while on vacation.

It's that, or we just don't go. I do not want to go if I have to stay off site for all the reasons I listed plus 1 - On our late July trip we stayed off site close to WDW when we arrived as it was late at night. We drove into WDW close to opening time and the traffic- OMG. In all our many years of coming to WDW, we never drove in at that time and never realized just how massive the line to get in is.

We've always stayed offsite and the only time we've ever dealt with traffic is when heading for Disney Springs later in the day. But we're ropedroppers, so we have been at the park for a good half hour before opening time.

If you like to rope drop most days there are still benefits to staying onsite: early entry spread out through all parks which should let you get on the 2 e-ticket rides and not pay for them.

True. As an offsite rope-dropper, I loved Extra Magic Hours, because they funneled onsite people to a particular park and I could go somewhere else! If we'd stayed onsite I either would have avoided the EMH park, or I would have gotten park hoppers, which we have had but mostly don't like. I should think the fact that onsiters can now choose their own park makes onsite more appealing for ropedroppers; it does for me, assuming that people will be more spread out and so can do as much in those 30 minutes as they could in an hour.

I am betting Disney knows that a lot of them will be spending the extra money to avoid the lines because that sounds like a good way to maximize your time and might make you feel like a big shot, just like they will spend the money to stay on property because of the location (and that is still a VERY big perk) and the "status" of it all

Very true. I haven't seen it so much at the Disboards, but when I was first considering going to Disney I ran across that precise attitude all the time, where people were clearly praising (or insisting on) staying onsite because only the peons didn't. :rolleyes: And some of the same grumbled about the fact that anyone at Disney could get a Fastpass, wishing they were like Universal where you had to pay for them!

If the lost of the free fastpass system change your mind about staying on property, what will the 1.5 hours a day you lose commuting to and from the parks cost you?

Even the times we stayed out by Universal, we've never spent 1.5 hours/day communiting to Disney, and we've generally stayed in places where the commute is the same or less from our resort as it is from the average Disney resort. Although some of the closest ones you don't go through the "welcome gate" every morning, which we kind of missed, and which we also would not have staying onsite. :scratchin

And keep in mind the distance you'll need to walk from the lot to the park entrance, and that for MK you'll then still need to also take a monorail or ferry/boat to get to/from the park entrance in addition to walking from the lot to the TTC. ;)

I've always thought that missing out on the monorail or the ferry going to the MK is yet another cost of staying onsite, and not a benefit. ;) The first time we went to the MK, we had someone drop us off at the Contemporary and walked over, which is nice, but I much prefer the ferry. I have always had my doubts about walking up to the International Gate from one of the Epcot resorts for rope drop as well, although I can see the appeal of that entrance if you're just going in for dinner or whatever. But the front entrance is clearly designed to impress and welcome, while the International Gate is not, and the thought that goes into the entrances is the sort of of subtle appeal that I most appreciate about Disney.

We've always either come early enough to park quite close, or gotten a magical upgrade to parking right outside the gate, so the walk has never been an issue, either, and when we've left and come back, so we parked further out, the shuttles have always been prompt. The free parking for staying onsite always struck me as a legit perk, and although I'm not surprised they took it away, for us paying for parking if you're staying onsite is a definite con.

I'm curious to see how Genie shakes down. At this point I'm not sure if we'd consider it a plus or a minus -- too much up in the air. Hubby will probably like it -- he already spends his time in the parks just going where someone else tells him! :p

I think it really depends on where you stay at Disney. For us, a hotel room is just a place to crash and sleep. We are looking at coming back 10/2022 and I’ve priced out a value resort and a house (less than $100/night). By the time they add booking fees, and cleaning fees ect, I’m within a couple hundred dollars of the value resort and I’ve got the Chase Disney debit card, and have gotten a decent discount the last 3 trips in row, so by the time I get even a 15% discount, plus pay the $25/day parking fee. Im coming out even if not ahead by staying onsite.

Agreed that right now, the G+ system really levels the playing field between on-site and off-site.

But, in the long term, if Disney starts losing on-site guests because of G+, it becomes a very easy thing for them to adjust. They can lock off G+ booking until park-open for off-site guests, but 7am for on-site. They could price G+ at $15 for on-site and $30 for off-site. They could limit off-site to 3 G+ reservations per day.

So if they lose on-site guests because of this, it's easy for them to make some changes.

In the meantime -- yes, Genie+ can SAVE guests money by:
- It becomes easier to get all the attractions done without the need to stay on-site, and staying off-site saves money
- You can conceivably get more attractions done in a day with G+ than you could under the old system. With the tiering system at DHS, it could take 3 days at DHS just to get through the major attractions with reservations. If you can get more done in fewer days.. you can book fewer days. 5 days at WDW instead of 7 days, saves a lot of money. Saves more than the cost of maxing out the G+ system.

I don’t go to work and max out what I can get done, I think it defeats the purpose of going on vacation if you are going to get up early enough to open the park and stay late enough to close the park…

to me thats called unpaid overtime….

but I don’t think disney has made a bad call on this. They know their product and their products market utility…

don’t get me wrong, IF Disney was wrong on this one, I’ll be happy to get free genie plus in a couple of years… but I’m not betting against them..

Disney transportation was ATROCIOUS the last trip we took in July. You could wait for an hour or more for a bus for no particular rhyme or reason. The bus stops weren't even that crowded, the buses were just so irregular. We were staying at the Boardwalk and after 2 days gave up and just started using Uber's & Lyft's to get to Animal Kingdom, and Magic Kingdom (via drop off at the Contemporary). Disney's bus transportation is not much a perk in my opinion.
We were there in April with a split stay. Bus service at AKL was atrocious. To be fair, getting from AKL to any park was not bad. Buses came about every 15-20 minutes. Getting back from the parks was a different issue. And coming back from DS was horrible.
Then we moved to BWV and the bus service, where needed was great. We walked to EPCOT and HS.

The most offensive part of G+ for me is the SURGE pricing for individual rides. I hate hate hate that you can't even try to plan for how much your day at the world will cost now. I can just imagine feeling already gouged to death for the day and then wanting to ride ROTR or Remy's since it's my ONE trip in a decade and being told the 3 min experience is going to be $40 dollars. Or make that $50 because I didn't purchase an hour earlier. Or stand in line for 3 hours.

Also, FWIW, I will NEVER stay on property again. There is no value in the proposition whatsoever now. I also made the mistake of arriving once at the tailend of spring break, and I have never seen a dining hall so busy. I had to uber eats that night and I sincerely regretted not staying on the strip where I could have a vast array of restaurants around me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter