Disney's new handicap rules

dkbschultz

Earning My Ears
I am concerned about the new handicap policy at Disney World and looking for input from people who have experienced it. I am in a wheel chair due to an amputation and I do not know what to expect. I have read where you have to keep going back to the customer service place to get a new time but that seems like a huge hassle and I have read that you need to go to a ride then come back which for me is tough and my chair on has so much power. I am also trying to figure out how I would wait in a normal line with a chair and then get off the ride and need the chair on the other side and how that works. It really stinks to have the people who clearly need the accommodations get screwed by the people who abuse it. I read where Disney is being sued by the ADA for this and hope before my trip in September that the current system gets tweaked a bit. I know people are worried about people in chairs seeing more of the park than regular healthy people, but at least in my case/situation having to take so much time transferring in and out of the chair actually slows me up. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me.

you would either wait in the line with the other folks (in the lines that are now improved and support wheelchairs) or it would work like a fastpass -- where you are given a time to return.

You would also have the same issues with transfer with the old program -- but that hasn't changed much --

it is really not as horrible as people imagine it will be -- but now it is also clearly NOT a front of the line pass.

I am concerned about the new handicap policy at Disney World and looking for input from people who have experienced it. I am in a wheel chair due to an amputation and I do not know what to expect. I have read where you have to keep going back to the customer service place to get a new time but that seems like a huge hassle and I have read that you need to go to a ride then come back which for me is tough and my chair on has so much power. I am also trying to figure out how I would wait in a normal line with a chair and then get off the ride and need the chair on the other side and how that works. It really stinks to have the people who clearly need the accommodations get screwed by the people who abuse it. I read where Disney is being sued by the ADA for this and hope before my trip in September that the current system gets tweaked a bit. I know people are worried about people in chairs seeing more of the park than regular healthy people, but at least in my case/situation having to take so much time transferring in and out of the chair actually slows me up. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me.

If your issue is mobility related they will not issue a DAS. You can go through the regular, wheelchair accessible lines. In cases those are not available they will give you a return time.

The ADA is a law, not an organization. They aren't suing anyone. The "lawsuit" by a few angry moms will a) take years before it's resolved if it makes it to court and b) has no merit, IMO. The lawsuit also calls wheelchair users the abusers of the old card and says their accommodations are fine, so the lawsuit wouldn't affect you anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter