• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
we are staying in a DVC studio villa....from the pictures it looks like there is not a closet. also it looks like there is not alot of places to put our clothes...is this true?? this will be the first time we are staying there.

thanks!

we are staying in a DVC studio villa....from the pictures it looks like there is not a closet. also it looks like there is not alot of places to put our clothes...is this true?? this will be the first time we are staying there.

thanks!
http://**************.net/2015/04/2...o-at-disneys-polynesian-villas-and-bungalows/

Well, I'll most likely get destroyed for my thoughts on this, but my GF and I just got back from what was supposed to be a 9/3 - 9/9 stay which turned into 9/3-9/12 stay because of the Hurricane, but this trip really had me fall out of love with the Polynesian.

The grounds, still beautiful as always. The location as great as you can get. Though the rooms, and just our overall experience during the hurricane soured us.

Being confined to the room for 2 days straight, really let's you see every flaw in the room, and despite the fact the rooms were gutted and updated a few years ago, they are in major need of some TLC. Tons of awful spotty touch up paint jobs, where you can tell they didn't even use the same color paint to fix something. Parts of the room just falling apart, light fixtures crooked or damaged. Our first room was taking in water in just a normal Floridian thunderstorm two days before the Hurricane got to us. The bathroom was nice, except for the fact the dial for the water temperature in the shower fell off, and instead of fixing it, they just put the dial on top of where it should be. Then we found parts of the towel rod fixture on the ground under the sink. those also came apart and you could just pull the rod off the entire thing.

I know Disney rooms get a lot of use, but for the prices Disney charges, they really need to do a better job of keeping rooms in tip top shape, especially at the hotel that a lot of people claim is the second flagship next to the Floridian.

Though the part that really bothered both myself and my GF the most was how things were handled during the Hurricane. There was no order, no structure. Multiple times we received conflicting information about what would be open in the resort and what wouldn't. Pretty much every other resort on property constructed some sort of times guide for the events they were doing in the lobby. Nope, not at the Poly. Some CMs at the Poly claimed they couldn't do that since there are no rooms in the main building unlike other hotels, but when we told her all the All Stars had things to do, the Pop, and even the Floridian which while it has rooms in the main building, is the only other deluxe on property that has separate buildings to house guests on property.

Our main problem was the fact they knew the track of the storm, knew whom they had working there to ride it out, yet seemed to do things on a whim.

We felt at the price we paid, even with the 40% hurricane discount, it was too much for what was being offered. We were told they didn't want to do things in the Poly lobby because of the immense about of windows, yet that didn't stop the CMs at the Contemporary who had a bevy of events, and had pretty much everything open, including the California Grill located some 15 stories off the ground in a room of wrap around floor to ceiling windows.

Prior to the start of our Polynesian stay we spent 1 night at a refurbed Pop room, and despite it's small size it easily blows the Polynesian rooms out of the water, at nearly 1/5th the price. Yes you are giving up the location, and some 150 square feet, but if they end up redoing all the values to look as nice aesthetically as the refurbed Pop Century rooms, then some of the deluxes are going to have to really up their games, i.e. Poly, Animal Kingdom Lodge.

It's a shame because our stay before the hurricane was great, it's just disappointing that a disaster like Irma really soured us on the Polynesian. What really bothered us was in the days going into the hurricane we went to the front desk, and asked was there anyway to extend our reservation in case of it being impossible to get out of here, and she was very abrupt and curt with us that "It's not Disney's job to find you a place to stay, and I hope that you're not expecting a handout for a free room." It really took us back, we didn't ask for a discount, we didn't even ask to stay at the Polynesian, just would it be possible to secure a room on property for 2-3 days more if needed.

All I can say is that we most likely won't be staying at the Polynesian anytime in the near future, and will most likely stick to our true favorite that being the Wilderness Lodge.

Well, I'll most likely get destroyed for my thoughts on this, but my GF and I just got back from what was supposed to be a 9/3 - 9/9 stay which turned into 9/3-9/12 stay because of the Hurricane, but this trip really had me fall out of love with the Polynesian.

The grounds, still beautiful as always. The location as great as you can get. Though the rooms, and just our overall experience during the hurricane soured us.

Being confined to the room for 2 days straight, really let's you see every flaw in the room, and despite the fact the rooms were gutted and updated a few years ago, they are in major need of some TLC. Tons of awful spotty touch up paint jobs, where you can tell they didn't even use the same color paint to fix something. Parts of the room just falling apart, light fixtures crooked or damaged. Our first room was taking in water in just a normal Floridian thunderstorm two days before the Hurricane got to us. The bathroom was nice, except for the fact the dial for the water temperature in the shower fell off, and instead of fixing it, they just put the dial on top of where it should be. Then we found parts of the towel rod fixture on the ground under the sink. those also came apart and you could just pull the rod off the entire thing.

I know Disney rooms get a lot of use, but for the prices Disney charges, they really need to do a better job of keeping rooms in tip top shape, especially at the hotel that a lot of people claim is the second flagship next to the Floridian.

Though the part that really bothered both myself and my GF the most was how things were handled during the Hurricane. There was no order, no structure. Multiple times we received conflicting information about what would be open in the resort and what wouldn't. Pretty much every other resort on property constructed some sort of times guide for the events they were doing in the lobby. Nope, not at the Poly. Some CMs at the Poly claimed they couldn't do that since there are no rooms in the main building unlike other hotels, but when we told her all the All Stars had things to do, the Pop, and even the Floridian which while it has rooms in the main building, is the only other deluxe on property that has separate buildings to house guests on property.

Our main problem was the fact they knew the track of the storm, knew whom they had working there to ride it out, yet seemed to do things on a whim.

We felt at the price we paid, even with the 40% hurricane discount, it was too much for what was being offered. We were told they didn't want to do things in the Poly lobby because of the immense about of windows, yet that didn't stop the CMs at the Contemporary who had a bevy of events, and had pretty much everything open, including the California Grill located some 15 stories off the ground in a room of wrap around floor to ceiling windows.

Prior to the start of our Polynesian stay we spent 1 night at a refurbed Pop room, and despite it's small size it easily blows the Polynesian rooms out of the water, at nearly 1/5th the price. Yes you are giving up the location, and some 150 square feet, but if they end up redoing all the values to look as nice aesthetically as the refurbed Pop Century rooms, then some of the deluxes are going to have to really up their games, i.e. Poly, Animal Kingdom Lodge.

It's a shame because our stay before the hurricane was great, it's just disappointing that a disaster like Irma really soured us on the Polynesian. What really bothered us was in the days going into the hurricane we went to the front desk, and asked was there anyway to extend our reservation in case of it being impossible to get out of here, and she was very abrupt and curt with us that "It's not Disney's job to find you a place to stay, and I hope that you're not expecting a handout for a free room." It really took us back, we didn't ask for a discount, we didn't even ask to stay at the Polynesian, just would it be possible to secure a room on property for 2-3 days more if needed.

All I can say is that we most likely won't be staying at the Polynesian anytime in the near future, and will most likely stick to our true favorite that being the Wilderness Lodge.

Wow, that front desk CM had some nerve! :sad2:

Thanks for your review. I'm sorry the extended days of your stay were sub par and soured you on the Poly. I know everyone had to be on edge with the hurricane, but the front desk CM was out of line with that response. I'm glad you had a nice time prior to the hurricane days and I hope those memories overshadow the last few not-so-great days :).

Thanks for your review. I'm sorry the extended days of your stay were sub par and soured you on the Poly. I know everyone had to be on edge with the hurricane, but the front desk CM was out of line with that response. I'm glad you had a nice time prior to the hurricane days and I hope those memories overshadow the last few not-so-great days :).

We both enjoyed it, before the storm, it was just the storm really made the experience not so great.

I felt guilty, because I really talked up how great the Polynesian is to my GF who never stayed there before, and I might have made the expectations a bit too lofty to be met.

My GF is one of the sort of people who really needs structure and order, so when everything was thrown into the wind for the last 2-3 days it really bothered her.

We didn't want to blame the CMs, they were doing something difficult having to make other people happy while at the same time they have their own concerns and worries about at their homes. Though just talking to 3 CMs and getting 3 different answers is annoying.

As much as I love the Tiki element, and that South Pacific/Polynesian theme and motif we much more connect better to the theming of the Wilderness Lodge.

We both enjoyed it, before the storm, it was just the storm really made the experience not so great.

I felt guilty, because I really talked up how great the Polynesian is to my GF who never stayed there before, and I might have made the expectations a bit too lofty to be met.

My GF is one of the sort of people who really needs structure and order, so when everything was thrown into the wind for the last 2-3 days it really bothered her.

We didn't want to blame the CMs, they were doing something difficult having to make other people happy while at the same time they have their own concerns and worries about at their homes. Though just talking to 3 CMs and getting 3 different answers is annoying.

As much as I love the Tiki element, and that South Pacific/Polynesian theme and motif we much more connect better to the theming of the Wilderness Lodge.

The Poly really is a great resort, I'm just sorry you had to experience it during a hurricane. We've never been in Disney during any kind of strong storm (let alone a hurricane), so I can only imagine the upset/frustration/chaos throughout the resort during those few days. With that said, glad you were able to enjoy the Poly before the hurricane :wizard:.

thanks!

There is a closet. It's not as large as some of the other DVC studios, but its adequate. There is actually quite a lot of storage space, but it's just not all in one location. There is no dresser, so it appears at first glance that there's no storage. Each bathroom has 3 (4?) drawers that are great for storing t-shirts, shorts, socks, underwear. The bed is very deceiving when it comes to storage. Half of the bed is open underneath to allow you to store your large suitcases. The other half (head end) has a drawer on either side of the bed. The drawers are roughly 30in wide,15in tall and is very deep (almost half of the width of the queen bed). There is also storage in the coffee table, and in each of the "night stands".

We've stayed there with 3 adults and a 4 year old for a week - so lots of kid related stuff. There was plenty of room for everything. Caveat - we always bring a collapsible shelf unit that hangs in the closet, which expands the storage and access tremendously.

Steve

Do you recall which longhouse and room you stayed in?

I saw no immediate need for repair or upgrade in my room but that doesn't change the fact that we probably didn't stay in the same room. I can't speak on why Poly refused to open it's lobby for group activities during Irma but comparing lobbies is difficult since there are so many variables in design. As for your interaction with the front desk...I hope you reported it.
Hoping you enjoy your next stay at Wilderness Lodge and on the bright side it should cost less.

Do you recall which longhouse and room you stayed in?

I saw no immediate need for repair or upgrade in my room but that doesn't change the fact that we probably didn't stay in the same room. I can't speak on why Poly refused to open it's lobby for group activities during Irma but comparing lobbies is difficult since there are so many variables in design. As for your interaction with the front desk...I hope you reported it.
Hoping you enjoy your next stay at Wilderness Lodge and on the bright side it should cost less.

The hallways in Rarotonga were in dismay. Lots of really bad touch up paint jobs.

We were in 1805 at first in Raratonga when a good inch of water pooled in the trackway for the sliding door.

Then we were moved to 3813 in Rarotonga after we complained about the water. To which the front desk says they know that a good chunk of the first floor rooms take in water along the resort. I have no idea if they tried moving everyone to 2nd or 3rd floors for the hurricane, but to admit you have an issue with rooms leaking is kind of disheartening.

Just been doing my online check in for my stay. We're in one of the DVC longhouses. First time I tried making a room request my selections were upper/lower floors near elevator and congress park. Now I'm definately staying at Polynesian lol so I figured it was maybe a computer glitch of some kind so I restarted and now its only which floor or near elevator. Do they not let you request a particular longhouse (of the DVC ones in my case). Or for that do I have to make a phone call?

That's so odd about them telling you no activities in the lobby! I could swear that I saw pictures of the kids playing with Captain Hook in the GCH during the time you all had to stay in the hotel! And I also saw the menus for the buffet for breakfast and dinner in Ohana. I do know Kona was closed.

It's too bad we could find out more information on the internet than someone actually staying in the resort at the time.

Just been doing my online check in for my stay. We're in one of the DVC longhouses. First time I tried making a room request my selections were upper/lower floors near elevator and congress park. Now I'm definately staying at Polynesian lol so I figured it was maybe a computer glitch of some kind so I restarted and now its only which floor or near elevator. Do they not let you request a particular longhouse (of the DVC ones in my case). Or for that do I have to make a phone call?
Longhouse requests disappeared from OCI a while back. Best bet is to call and have that request added to your reservation.

My DH and I stayed at Bungalow 18 for two nights just before Irma. We loved the bungalow and the location . It was our first stay at the Poly. We used the monorail to visit, eat, and shop at the GF and the Contemporary (BLT is our home resort). We did not plan park days as we wanted to spend as much time as possible just enjoying the bungalow.

We especially enjoyed the grounds. I've walked thru the Poly grounds on numerous occassions to get to the Ceremonial House - but this was my first time to really check it out.

The only negative to us (but wouldn't be for most people) was the lack of ease in leaving the property. My DH and I are within a 1 day driving distance so we usually go multiple times a year. We have found many off site restaurants, museums, etc. that we really enjoy.

The bungalows were outfitted with top of the line appliances. Wish I had that refrigerator at home. I really felt like it was a luxury accommodation.

If I were a total park junkie the location of the Poly would be perfect. My DH and I also really enjoy Disney Springs in addition to some off site activities. For us SSR location is perfect. I love staying in Congress Park and being just a few steps away from Disney Springs with all the restaurant and shopping options.

I was glad that they evacuated the bungalows before Irma. Bungalow 19 (next to us) had the roof ripped off. I would not have felt safe in a bungalow during a hurricane.

It is a shame and unacceptable for a room to be anything but perfect for the guest. Unfortunately guests damage items in the room or furnishings break or wear down due to age. I think one of the biggest problems is that when items in the room a damaged or in need of attention, engineering doesn't get the message or perhaps they do and do not have time to make a fix before the next guest checks into the room. I would think housekeeping would report problems with lights, faucets or paint damage, issues they would come in contact with when they are cleaning, and it would filter over to the engineering department. I do not know what the process is, but when I check into a room that is needing attention I let someone know.

The hallways in Rarotonga were in dismay. Lots of really bad touch up paint jobs.

We were in 1805 at first in Raratonga when a good inch of water pooled in the trackway for the sliding door.

Then we were moved to 3813 in Rarotonga after we complained about the water. To which the front desk says they know that a good chunk of the first floor rooms take in water along the resort. I have no idea if they tried moving everyone to 2nd or 3rd floors for the hurricane, but to admit you have an issue with rooms leaking is kind of disheartening.
We stayed in Raratonga last November. It is definitely run down. Yes they paint & patch but it was obvious they have painted & patched the same areas over & over. The wall in our room had waves in the drywall. They were spot painting the baseboards by the elevator one day. It looked a mess. I also think that for $500 plus a night, you should be sleeping on a mattress that doesn't feel like you're at a Motel 6. But....I'm sure I'm part of the problem. I'm staying 8 nights at Poly in November. I love the location and even with all of its warts, there is still something magical about staying there.

That's so odd about them telling you no activities in the lobby! I could swear that I saw pictures of the kids playing with Captain Hook in the GCH during the time you all had to stay in the hotel! And I also saw the menus for the buffet for breakfast and dinner in Ohana. I do know Kona was closed.

It's too bad we could find out more information on the internet than someone actually staying in the resort at the time.

The issue is there were no set activities.

Look at other resorts they put out hour by hour schedules of events.

Yacht Club had cookie making, trivia, bingo.

All I saw everytime I walked into the Poly was some sort of dance party with Hook and Smee or Lilo and Stitch.

We stayed in Raratonga last November. It is definitely run down. Yes they paint & patch but it was obvious they have painted & patched the same areas over & over. The wall in our room had waves in the drywall. They were spot painting the baseboards by the elevator one day. It looked a mess. I also think that for $500 plus a night, you should be sleeping on a mattress that doesn't feel like you're at a Motel 6. But....I'm sure I'm part of the problem. I'm staying 8 nights at Poly in November. I love the location and even with all of its warts, there is still something magical about staying there.

It's sad because I thought the entire resort had the rooms gutted and replaced less than 3-4 years ago?

It just didn't feel "deluxe" especially after we stayed at a brand new VALUE room in the Pop which blew away the quality of the Polynesian "deluxe" level room.

It's sad because I thought the entire resort had the rooms gutted and replaced less than 3-4 years ago?

It just didn't feel "deluxe" especially after we stayed at a brand new VALUE room in the Pop which blew away the quality of the Polynesian "deluxe" level room.
I thought they had gutted and replaced everything as well. It certainly didn't appear so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter