Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a crazy specific question, but any of you that have done laundry during your stay, do you remember which laundry detergents they sold onsite? My DH and DD both have sensitive skin so wondering if they have Tide Free liquid. We are flying or I would just bring a bottle, and seems wasteful to order a bottle for at most two loads. I'm hoping I won't need it at all! And sorry if this was answered before - my tablet is giving me problems today! Thanks for any help and advice!

I use the Free and Clear pods when I travel. I just throw a handful in a tupperware container and stuff it in the corner of my suitcase. I don't do dryer sheets when I travel but you could always bring your own in a ziploc.

I use the Free and Clear pods when I travel. I just throw a handful in a tupperware container and stuff it in the corner of my suitcase. I don't do dryer sheets when I travel but you could always bring your own in a ziploc.

My family and I have sensitive skin too so I just carry "Tide Free and Gentle Pods". The Pods are super easy to pack into the luggage, never had any issues with them bursting in the plane ride either. I usually use the liquid at home but I buy a box of the pods before any trip and bring a couple with me. I just throw a few in a ziplock with a "free and gentle" dryer sheet and voilà, problem solved.

Thanks @waattmore and @Alexsandra! I guess I never thought of the pods b/c I assumed they were powdered. I'll check them out!

My family and I have sensitive skin too so I just carry "Tide Free and Gentle Pods". The Pods are super easy to pack into the luggage, never had any issues with them bursting in the plane ride either. I usually use the liquid at home but I buy a box of the pods before any trip and bring a couple with me. I just throw a few in a ziplock with a "free and gentle" dryer sheet and voilà, problem solved.
Exactly what we do too. We pack the pods and bring dryer sheets in a ziplock also. ENJOY!

Thanks for your review and great pics.:thumbsup2Disappointing to read ONCE AGAIN about the pool gate not working.:sad2: If there is a gate, the darn thing should work properly, COME ON! >:(Unfortunately, it looks from your pics like you did hit rain. Yay to Pineapple Lanai from another Dole Whip Lover!:cheer2: Hope you enjoyed your trip!:goodvibes
Our trip was great. We didnt spend too much time at the resort. The only (very tiny) downfall was the one "pool" day we planned, was not relaxing as planned because of the mob scene at the resort. We went through the Contemporary a few times, going to the ferry to Ft Wilderness for the BBQ and Trails End. It seemed nice and quiet over there :) NOBODY was at the pool at night :) Same with BC one morning after breakfast we went to show my daughter the pool and there were MAYBE 5 people out there. If you dont plan any quiet / relaxing days, youll be fine at the Poly. Its super convenient, beautiful resort...just really really crowded.

Have a crazy specific question, but any of you that have done laundry during your stay, do you remember which laundry detergents they sold onsite? My DH and DD both have sensitive skin so wondering if they have Tide Free liquid. We are flying or I would just bring a bottle, and seems wasteful to order a bottle for at most two loads. I'm hoping I won't need it at all! And sorry if this was answered before - my tablet is giving me problems today! Thanks for any help and advice!

Its some random brand....gone green. Not sure if its all natural. I bought a 5 pack of Tide Pods at Walmart for about $2.50. The detergent at the resort was $2/load. No cash, only credit/debit cards. $2.50 for each wash and each dry.

>:(Unfortunately, it looks from your pics like you did hit rain.

Forgot to also mention, the picture werent showing rain....it was HUMITIDY! We only got a few passing showers, and lucky for us, we were usually inside a venue when it happened. Only used the ponchos 1 day for a couple of hours. The rest was great. Very humid though...fogged up the windows! :)

Our trip was great. We didnt spend too much time at the resort. The only (very tiny) downfall was the one "pool" day we planned, was not relaxing as planned because of the mob scene at the resort. We went through the Contemporary a few times, going to the ferry to Ft Wilderness for the BBQ and Trails End. It seemed nice and quiet over there :) NOBODY was at the pool at night :) Same with BC one morning after breakfast we went to show my daughter the pool and there were MAYBE 5 people out there. If you dont plan any quiet / relaxing days, youll be fine at the Poly. Its super convenient, beautiful resort...just really really crowded.

Forgot to also mention, the picture werent showing rain....it was HUMITIDY! We only got a few passing showers, and lucky for us, we were usually inside a venue when it happened. Only used the ponchos 1 day for a couple of hours. The rest was great. Very humid though...fogged up the windows! :)
GLAD for you that you had minimal rain!:umbrella: Hoping for the best at BC and Poly as we are planning on doing a lot of resort time in addition to F&W! :beach::drinking1

Do you think that once the quiet pool is open, that it might help with the crowds at the main pool? I am a YC girl but am considering staying at the Poly next summer. The reports of crowds at that resort have always kept me away. I have stayed there in Nov. 2x and it was nice, but only a few people were swimming. Also, when I stayed there in 2002 and also in 2003 it seemed like maybe the monorail had better hours (or maybe I am not remembering correctly?!

we leave for our first Poly stay in 19 days! I have been planning this trip for like 17 months!! (basically started planning about a week after our we got back from our first Disney trip, haha!) We have never been at Poly but after lots of research and obsessive reading online I picked it. I have probably read every page of this thread over the last few months and studied tikimans site. I follow his fb page too so I feel prepared but I was so torn on room request given the current construction. I bit the bullet and requested ground floor Samoa since reports are that the rooms in Samoa facing the pool construction are not being used. I am also having touring plans fax in a request too. I put down that our biggest request is a first floor room with patio facing away from construction at the east pool. and then 2nd request was Samoa. Who knows if we even will get it but I figured it was worth trying to be close to the pool. What kind of luck have people had with getting what you request in online check in or request by fax?

we leave for our first Poly stay in 19 days! I have been planning this trip for like 17 months!! (basically started planning about a week after our we got back from our first Disney trip, haha!) We have never been at Poly but after lots of research and obsessive reading online I picked it. I have probably read every page of this thread over the last few months and studied tikimans site. I follow his fb page too so I feel prepared but I was so torn on room request given the current construction. I bit the bullet and requested ground floor Samoa since reports are that the rooms in Samoa facing the pool construction are not being used. I am also having touring plans fax in a request too. I put down that our biggest request is a first floor room with patio facing away from construction at the east pool. and then 2nd request was Samoa. Who knows if we even will get it but I figured it was worth trying to be close to the pool. What kind of luck have people had with getting what you request in online check in or request by fax?

Honestly in all my travels to Disney I have had room request granted about 50% of the time no matter what method I used to request the room choice. Often I do not get what I requested and usually I end up working it out once I check in. It has happened only twice that the hotels were at full capacity and they could not fulfill my request. When I was at the Poly last time I had requested Fiji with a Marina view top floor. They had granted my building and floor request but I was facing the Luau beach and Grand Floridian instead of the Marina. I nicely asked the girl at check in if she could find a room for me facing the Marina and I was able to secure a Marina view as long as I was willing to wait longer for it. I was so happy. Just be ready to not get your request granted so as to not be too disappointed. If you don't get it, then it doesn't hurt to ask, right! Anyway, I find often I make a big deal about room requests and even when they don't pan out, I end up liking my room location anyway.
I hope for you that you get your requested location. Fingers Crossed!pixiedust:

Honestly in all my travels to Disney I have had room request granted about 50% of the time no matter what method I used to request the room choice. Often I do not get what I requested and usually I end up working it out once I check in. It has happened only twice that the hotels were at full capacity and they could not fulfill my request. When I was at the Poly last time I had requested Fiji with a Marina view top floor. They had granted my building and floor request but I was facing the Luau beach and Grand Floridian instead of the Marina. I nicely asked the girl at check in if she could find a room for me facing the Marina and I was able to secure a Marina view as long as I was willing to wait longer for it. I was so happy. Just be ready to not get your request granted so as to not be too disappointed. If you don't get it, then it doesn't hurt to ask, right! Anyway, I find often I make a big deal about room requests and even when they don't pan out, I end up liking my room location anyway.
I hope for you that you get your requested location. Fingers Crossed!pixiedust:

great advice - thanks! I really just want first floor patio away from construction which I believe the only one that is standard view facing construction is rarotonga since samoa is closed on that side, and then Hawaii is club and Tokelau is DVC. we arrive early, our flight lands at 11am. So I doubt our room will be ready by the time DME gets us to poly anyways. I have no problem waiting around until a ground floor room is ready.

Do you think that once the quiet pool is open, that it might help with the crowds at the main pool? I am a YC girl but am considering staying at the Poly next summer. The reports of crowds at that resort have always kept me away. I have stayed there in Nov. 2x and it was nice, but only a few people were swimming. Also, when I stayed there in 2002 and also in 2003 it seemed like maybe the monorail had better hours (or maybe I am not remembering correctly?!

It definitely could be a time of year thing. My concern was not the crowded pool, but the crowded, Captain Cooks, the crowded shops, the crowded lobby, the wait fot the monorail from diners leaving/going to parks etc..

I was there during free dining, so of course the restaurants were fully booked for every meal. Starting with Ohana character breakfast and the popular Kona Cafe. Also, Captain Cooks seemed crowded in the morning. Not sure if was just resort guests, or other venturing over to have breakfast, then hop the monorail to the MK for the day. The parking situation was brutal. On a good day, I would circle the lot 5 - 10 minutes. On a bad day 20 minutes + waiting for an available spot.
Then, you have one of the most popular dining venues, Ohana, in addition to the almost nightly, 2 shows per night, Luau. There is another 1200+ people wondering around/parking etc.. THEN...you have the very popular Trader Sams lounge/bar/grill. Add another 150+ guests nightly. Maybe during non free dining periods, the restaurants arent so busy?? My last time there was in October 2010, another free dining period, so my memory only remembers the crowds. I didnt want to go back, but I read the parking and pool issues were taken care of, so I tried it again. Same problems. I dont think the quiet pool will make a difference, unless they add a bar. All kids will be at the main pool with their parents and the adults only want the beverages. Also, the quiet pool is literally surrounded by buildings. No lagoon/beach view. Only real book readers/sun bathers and those who really want quiet will be over there :)

Less than three weeks to go... starting to feel real now! :) Are there any requests that make sense if you are staying in a standard DVC villa? Or all the rooms pretty much the same (no real shot for a view of any kind except a parking lot, right?)

The Poly is amazing, you will love it! We've never stayed CL so I can't comment on that, but we love everything else about the resort. The grounds are beautiful and relaxing, the pool is great, Captain Cooks is great for quick CS meals/snacks, and it's magical seeing the castle every day. We have stayed at other resorts and while we have loved them all, the Poly is our favorite. Hope you have a great trip :wizard:.

I can't wait! I just hope the construction will be over by then, or I may have to downgrade to a non CL room. I don't want to pay all that extra money and have construction as my view.

I got the room next door to the one I had requested through touring plans. I also noted in the fax my priorities in order...Not facing construction. Moorea. 3rd floor. Worked for me. Had a great view!

I can't wait! I just hope the construction will be over by then, or I may have to downgrade to a non CL room. I don't want to pay all that extra money and have construction as my view.

Many people were upset about their view of the cherry pickers that were parked and in movement, in front of Hawaii, for the entirety of our 12-day trip in August. I would've been livid! That's a heck of a lot of $$$$ for those amenities and then to have the unsightly view of construction in your face. Just sayin. Suppose you could always switch to SV if you're not happy with the view at CL.

Hope you have a great trip! :wizard:

Just be ready to not get your request granted so as to not be too disappointed. If you don't get it, then it doesn't hurt to ask, right!

I agree, it never hurts to ask ;).

Less than three weeks to go... starting to feel real now! :)

Have a great trip! :yay:

I don't blame you for not wanting to spend the extra money for CL and have a bad view. I hope everything works out for CL and you get a great room/view :goodvibes.

fyi When I called for the Visa discount for January the CM told me the quiet pool would be under construction until April.

Please report back on the construction near CL. If it is still ongoing, since we are headed there the first week of Dec, we may opt into a standard view to avoid the construction and save the $$$$ for the April or next Dec trip! Thanks a million and I hope you have a great trip!

I called last week and was told that the quiet pool construction was due to finish in January 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter