Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to have a ADA room due to ALS when I first started going I wasn't in a chair but I needed a handicapped bathroom due to slip and fall issues, I was never asked once about who the room was for. Now I'm in a chair or use crutches and they don't ask. I don't know how I would have answered if asked. I guess it depends on the mood. And that's not trying to be snarky. It really depends on how asked etc. I do know they aren't supposed to question it at all and that you were asked is probably not the norm. If they are beginning to ask people are probably abusing it due to the fact that if you book a king and a double they will give you connecting rooms if you have 3 or more people in the room at no additional charge. There are unscrupulous people who would take advantage of that.

You are probably correct in my experience that it was "not the norm" that is why I prefaced my comments by stating "my experience". And I agree that it is a shame that there are people out that there that would book these rooms and take them away from those that need them.

Our magic bands arrived today for our trip to Pop in 25 days! It is finally getting close enough to feel excited. We haven't stayed there in a number of years but enjoyed our previous stays there. This is our first ever Christmas season trip too!

I have a room request question! We are in a standard room and prefer the first floor, away from the pool. We would like to be as close to the parking area as possible since we drive everywhere. Would also love to stay in the 50s building this time around. It seems like in the past I can't get anywhere near the parking area....what would be the best way to request being as close as possible??Thanks!

I have a room request question! We are in a standard room and prefer the first floor, away from the pool. We would like to be as close to the parking area as possible since we drive everywhere. Would also love to stay in the 50s building this time around. It seems like in the past I can't get anywhere near the parking area....what would be the best way to request being as close as possible??Thanks!

I have attached the map for POP below. The room categories are highlighted, standard rooms have no highlight color.
In the 50's, closest to the parking lot would be the back side of the Lady building 1 or the Juke box building 2. There is no option for "close to parking" during the on-line check in (i have attached the choice selection below too) so if you choose ground floor and 50's, you could get building 1, 2 (a fairly long walk to Classic Hall and the buses) or 3(no where close to a parking lot but a lake view). I would recommend that you call and add your requests to your reservation, listing them in priority order. "close to 50's parking, lady building 1 or jukebox building 2 & ground floor" (if these are your choices). Then during on-line check in, choose 50's, ground floor. If you get assigned a room that is anything other than 11XX you can always stop by the front desk before you go to your room to see if they have anything available. If you don't mind the walk to building 2, your room should start with 11XX or 21xx (building #, floor #, room #=XX). Hope this helps.

PopCenturyMap2012RoomCategoriesFINAL.jpg

x892hl.png

Thank you!! I called and was told it is pretty much the same as me doing it online. No special notes are added to the reservation, she is just basically doing the online checkin for me. Does that sound right or should it be a note that's added? Not too sure my call will help us out. :(

Thank you!! I called and was told it is pretty much the same as me doing it online. No special notes are added to the reservation, she is just basically doing the online checkin for me. Does that sound right or should it be a note that's added? Not too sure my call will help us out. :(

Close to 50's parking and requesting a specific building like building 1 or building 2 MUST be added to your reservation manually.
You can go into your on line check in and choose 50's and ground floor but that is as specific as it is going to get. Call back until you get someone that will add "close to 50's parking" and "building 1" or "building 2" or any specific building you want and go ahead and ask them to add "ground floor", then make sure your on line check in is correct with 50's and ground floor checked off. You may have to call back several times before you get a CM that will help. Not sure what is going on with these CM's lately.:rolleyes:

They are not allowed to look or question the reason a person has booked a ADA room. They can't deny one if booked either. Disney would definitely like too, but the current laws don't allow them too. It really is a slippery slope they question the wrong person they wind up in a lawsuit, they question the right one and the can still wind up in a lawsuit but save the room for a person who actually needs it.

That's kind of what I thought but wasn't sure. I'm actually surprised there isn't more abuse of the system…then again I think a lot of people dislike the walk in showers.

We'll be heading back home to Pop in April.

What's your favorite building and why? We've stayed in the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's. I think my favorite is the 50's. It's close to the bus, but it seemed like the quietest area.

We'll be heading back home to Pop in April.

What's your favorite building and why? We've stayed in the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's. I think my favorite is the 50's. It's close to the bus, but it seemed like the quietest area.

I am sure you will get many, many answers since everyone one has their favorite places at POP.

I like several but for different reasons. We only book standard and we love lakeview.
50's-Tramp building-lake view-4th floor facing Epcot so can see the fireworks if we are back at the resort for the night- Our favorite rooms have been 3434-3436 in that building.
60's- either building-lake view- any floor. Because it's close to the bridge to AOA and the walking path. If we are we back at the resort for the evening, we watch the fireworks from the bridge and we love to check out all the cool stuff around the walking path.
70's- lakeview. Close to Classic Hall and quiet (since there is no pool).
80's/90's- building 9-ground floor- super quick shortcut to transportation.

I will also add my least favorite.
50's-building 2 & 80's/90's building 7. Both of these buildings are a pretty long hike back to the room after a long day at the park. We have been assigned building 2 our past 2 trips so we are hoping for something different this trip.
The other thing I get irritated about the 50's and 80's/90's era's are the smoking area's. Both of these area's have horribly placed smoking sections. Not sure why they would just keep the smoking area's around the outsides of the resorts and not in the middle of the era's. Especially the 50's. Right smack dab in the middle of buildings 1 & 3. Every time we had to go to our building 2 during our last 2 trips, we had to hold our breath and sprint to our room. It is a very occupied smoking area with 4+ people there every morning and every evening. The smoking area for the 80's/90's section is at the entrance between buildings 8 & 9. Not sure why they thought these 2 era's needed a smoking section?? Rant over:rolleyes1

We have 84 to go and can't wait!!! Visiting this thread helps the time pass. Thank you to all who post here about your love of Pop!! :love:

We have 84 to go and can't wait!!! Visiting this thread helps the time pass. Thank you to all who post here about your love of Pop!! :love:

82 for us! We'll wave to you, on your way in, as we're on our way out (We're staying here for a couple of nights, pre-cruise).

We've stayed twice before. Once was the 90s, by the computer pool. The second was, I think, the 80s, on the backside of everything. I loved that one. It was always so quiet back there. :)

We just got back from a great trip with our 2 young adult daughters. All in all, it was wonderful. But I have 3 comments:

DH wanted to go back to POP from Epcot around 9 pm. When the bus arrived, the driver didn't realize that there was a wheelchair waiting, so they had to tell him to load the wheelchair first. Then they all loaded and off they went. The bus driver was distracted with talking to the women standing behind him. He pulls in to All-Star Sports instead of POP! He had forgotten where they were going! They eventually ended up at POP. A long ride.

We had requested connecting rooms. When we checked in, we were not assigned connecting rooms. After a phone call and a bit of a wait, they reassigned us. We had great rooms in the 70's on the 2nd floor.

The "beverage cooler" was so cold that it froze everything in it. There were no controls to change the temperature. Bummer for our milk for our cereal in the morning.

We just got back from a great trip with our 2 young adult daughters. All in all, it was wonderful. But I have 3 comments:

DH wanted to go back to POP from Epcot around 9 pm. When the bus arrived, the driver didn't realize that there was a wheelchair waiting, so they had to tell him to load the wheelchair first. Then they all loaded and off they went. The bus driver was distracted with talking to the women standing behind him. He pulls in to All-Star Sports instead of POP! He had forgotten where they were going! They eventually ended up at POP. A long ride.

We had requested connecting rooms. When we checked in, we were not assigned connecting rooms. After a phone call and a bit of a wait, they reassigned us. We had great rooms in the 70's on the 2nd floor.

The "beverage cooler" was so cold that it froze everything in it. There were no controls to change the temperature. Bummer for our milk for our cereal in the morning.

Wow, it sounds like there's a lot of new and not so well-trained bus drivers at Pop lately! First the post regarding the driver who picked up at Pop, then also picked up at AoA, only to turn around and return to Pop, and now this. That would have been frustrating if you just wanted to get "home" after a long day, LOL.

We've had that happen with the little bar fridges at some other resorts too. The ones in POFQ had a dial to adjust the temperature on the back of the unit, you had to pull it out in order to get to it. We often found they had been turned up all the way, which caused it to freeze everything.

We are down to 49 days to go! We just paid off the last of our packages today. I called earlier to cancel Memory Maker since some in our party will be adding APs once there and will have the new PhotoPass entitlement with it. While I was on the phone, I asked what requests were on our reservation and I was told adjoining and close to Classic Hall. I asked if we could add connecting to two of our reservations and the CM did! :goodvibes Definitely a magical day since we have everything paid, saved some money, and got our room requests noted correctly! Thanks @SPOERLX3 and @dansdad for your advice on the requests! It only took us four times to get it straight! :thumbsup2

We are down to 49 days to go! We just paid off the last of our packages today. I called earlier to cancel Memory Maker since some in our party will be adding APs once there and will have the new PhotoPass entitlement with it. While I was on the phone, I asked what requests were on our reservation and I was told adjoining and close to Classic Hall. I asked if we could add connecting to two of our reservations and the CM did! :goodvibes Definitely a magical day since we have everything paid, saved some money, and got our room requests noted correctly! Thanks @SPOERLX3 and @dansdad for your advice on the requests! It only took us four times to get it straight! :thumbsup2

YAY!!! :cool1:

I think your DH needs to be closest to where the taxi's/uber would pick him up which is right in front of the giant POP sign

That is exactly right, he'll have to be to the Hilton by 8am. TY for the suggestions. I think I'll do 50's and close to transportation since floor doesnt matter. We'll have a stroller but can take the elevator for that, no biggie.

Hi everyone! This will be our first time at Pop. Staying Feb. 27 to March 5. Me, DH, Dd5 and DD 2.5. We will have a stroller. Are there elevators in the buildings? We booked a standard room thru Orbitz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter