• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

So I've seen multiple websites say that Disney has NFL Network in the resort rooms?? Can anyone confirm this?? It looks like it's channel 27.

I'm looking forward to a day celebrating in the MK and then relaxing in our room with some drinks to watch some Thursday night football in a couple weeks.

I just booked POFQ for my very first drip to WDW next October. I so excited but also nervous since I'm pretty used to how things are done at Disneyland and I know Disney World is a whole other ball game. 17 days until our next trip to Disneyland but 378 days until our first trip to WDW.

You are absolutely going to compare everything to Disneyland and will probably prefer the way things are done there because that's where you learned to love Disney and that's fine. It's been ~14 years since I was there for my one and only trip and I couldn't believe how it was completely surrounded by other business that weren't Disney owned and that's the castle? Haunted mansion was cool and it was the first time ever riding Soarin' - which blew me away. Staying on property at WDW is like being in a Disney bubble and POFQ is one of my favorite resorts. It's what I grew up with and what I prefer and hope you enjoy it for what it is, but I get that you'll go home thinking it's not as good as the original.

We are going the week of Thanksgiving and we got the mailed notice that Sassagoula Floatworks would still be under renovation. So I can confirm that the planned completion date is no earlier than Thanksgiving.
Oh no! We're going for Thanksgiving, but we did not get this notice.

Are you going Thanksgiving and the week after? Maybe they anticipate the work will be complete the week after t-day.

Last edited:

Wish we knew for sure. I'm thinking of switching to POP Century while they still have preferred rooms available. I do NOT want to be at PORFQ without a normal food court. (You would think they would at least offer the same room discounts as the other resorts while the food court is under construction!)

TE="Bob Dolewhip, post: 56490509, member: 586717"]18 to 25

I saw somewhere that they opened the bonfamille area up for tables so it's not too much of an inconvenience. We tried to switch resorts but can't get the same price.[/QUOTE]

No, I don't want the temporary set-up with tables.

What a shame!

If we switch to POP (preferred) it is $313.00 cheaper than PORFQ (garden). PORFQ should have a discounted rate for the inconvenience and not being at 100%. Just my opinion, of course.

ETA: I called PORFQ directly and they said they do not have a date when the work will be completed.

Last edited:
You are absolutely going to compare everything to Disneyland and will probably prefer the way things are done there because that's where you learned to love Disney and that's fine. It's been ~14 years since I was there for my one and only trip and I couldn't believe how it was completely surrounded by other business that weren't Disney owned and that's the castle? Haunted mansion was cool and it was the first time ever riding Soarin' - which blew me away. Staying on property at WDW is like being in a Disney bubble and POFQ is one of my favorite resorts. It's what I grew up with and what I prefer and hope you enjoy it for what it is, but I get that you'll go home thinking it's not as good as the original.

I hear this a lot of the Disneyland side of the boards so I'll try to do what I suggest for all the WDW vets that are headed to DLR-be open and appreciative of the new experience. If you wanted the same thing stay at your home park but if you go to the other Disney be excited to experience something new and love it for its uniqueness.

The one thing that I will struggle with though is feeling like a lost puppy. I could maneuver DLR-both parks-in my sleep but I have a feeling i'm going to be one of those people with a map plastered to my face who stops short with a stroller right behind me and I'll have no one to blame but myself when I get run over by it. I'll be one of those noob's that stop the floow of the walking traffic.

I have stayed on property at DLR but we often stay across the street at a non disney owned place because it is actual closer to the park entrance and we are AP holder at DLR so we are always trying to save so we can afford to go more often. So I am excited to experience this Disney bubble I hear so much about!

From my research it seems like POFQ is the most convenient of the moderates as far as disney bussing goes because of its one bus stop. Does it often have to share busses with POR because of a shortage of busses? We are mid day rest people (my son has neuro disabilities and OCD so taking breaks from the hustle and bustle is important) so how feasible is it to go back to the resort for a little R &R mid day then go back to the park in the evening for shows and dinner ADR's? Is it too much trouble to be worth it? would I do better to just call it a day when my son hits the "disney wall" and have dinner at the food court or at the boathouse?

No, I don't want the temporary set-up with tables.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much - I think I actually preferred it to the usual food court to be honest, the location is very nice and it felt much more civilised. :) You order and pay first (rather than standing in a line holding your hot food waiting to pay), collect your own drinks or grab'n'go items, and then they bring your food straight from the kitchen to your table. It worked really well the three times I ate there in August.

I'm still hearing completion should be 'by Thanksgiving', but construction dates are always notoriously unreliable (hence their not wanting to commit to any specific dates). The whole food court has been completely gutted right back to the concrete and they are re-building everything from scratch, so it's quite a major project.

Andre

I really wouldn't worry about it too much - I think I actually preferred it to the usual food court to be honest, the location is very nice and it felt much more civilised. :) You order and pay first (rather than standing in a line holding your hot food waiting to pay), collect your own drinks or grab'n'go items, and then they bring your food straight from the kitchen to your table. It worked really well the three times I ate there in August.

I'm still hearing completion should be 'by Thanksgiving', but construction dates are always notoriously unreliable (hence their not wanting to commit to any specific dates). The whole food court has been completely gutted right back to the concrete and they are re-building everything from scratch, so it's quite a major project.

Andre

A few questions:

Do they have all the food selections same as they did before construction?
Is there a refillable mug station?
Is there enough seating (especially at a busy time like Thanksgiving)?
How many cashiers are there to take orders?

Oh no! We're going for Thanksgiving, but we did not get this notice.
We didn't either. We are there from 11/22 to 28 and no notice.

Wish we knew for sure. I'm thinking of switching to POP Century while they still have preferred rooms available. I do NOT want to be at PORFQ without a normal food court. (You would think they would at least offer the same room discounts as the other resorts while the food court is under construction!)
There is a QS restaurant available so there is no reason to offer a replacement. They also have a bus to take you to POR if you feel the need.

A few questions:

No idea about the menu but it was more than enough options for us.
There are Coke Freestyle machines to fill mugs
There was plenty of seating during our Aug trip
I remember at least 2 cashier stations, plus there are people to order from over in the bar area.

The food court situation was of no impact to our trip. We had several breakfasts there and had a good experience each time. I'm totally at a loss as to why so many are up in arms over the temporary change. Heck, if it were a permanent change (and it's not) it works quite well

A few questions:

Andre has a good write-up on the first page with many of these things addressed...and seems to me that someone posted photos of the menu boards several pages back....

Here is a menu pic I found pages back.

A few more temporary food court photos:

PO.org-Guest-NCDisneyMom-20160713_144719_forum.jpg

PO.org-Guest-NCDisneyMom-20160713_144639_forum.jpg
PO.org-Guest-NCDisneyMom-20160713_144832_forum.jpg

Andre

We just returned from a stay at POFQ. The resort is fantastic! The grounds are lush and beautiful. The new splash area is top notch and the bus transportation for the majority of our trip was great.

However, the one current negative (if there is one) is the food court situation. The setup is less than ideal. If you are someone who is planning on utilizing the food court at high traffic times, I would plan on going to riverside. Also with only two of the newer soda machines, during peak times, there will be lines to refill your mug (the machines take a longer time to use than your typical soda fountain).

Personally for us, we wouldn't even second guess staying at the FQ again even with the food court rehab. Yet, I could def see people being frustrated with the situation.

Thanks for your review.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter