Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

Gift card? Can someone elaborate for me?

At all the Values and Moderates you can decline housekeeping in lieu of a gift card. You would get $10 per night minus one night. So for a 7 night stay you'll get $60.

We're staying at POFQ in a couple weeks and would definitely be interested in declining housekeeping as long as we can request fresh towels every day or two.

You sure can.

Do we ask about this at check-in?

Yes. And it has to be done on check in day.

I think it's *really* personal - we don't spend much time in our room (typically), so for our family, we often prioritize things like access to parks or Disney Springs (one of the reasons we LOVE to stay at POFQ; we make up excuses to ride down to Disney Springs LOL) or dining experiences (like Hoop Dee Doo or the Boathouse) or other additional experiences (like fireworks dessert parties) over a bigger, fancier room with features we probably won't use (but I guess would look cool on Instagram?) But, like I said - that's a really personal decision.

I don't know what typically goes on at POFQ on NYE; that's our anniversary (32 years this year!) and we typically stay home; our favorite time of year to head to WDW is either just after Labor Day or just after the New Year...

Personally, I would look at that extra money to stay at BLT, and say to myself "Hey, what else could we do with this money at Disney to create some cool memories...?" simply because that's how our family approaches our time at WDW.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful trip! :)

I'm excited about staying at POFQ. I've always wanted to stay at a resort on the monorail since I was a child, so that is part of it and also my sister-in-law wanted to be able to walk back to the resort when she wanted to because she's mainly going to take pictures and walk around, she's not a ride person. I still have time to decide but am leaning towards saving the cash I believe. Thanks for responding and Happy Anniversary on the 31st. :)

I'm excited about staying at POFQ. I've always wanted to stay at a resort on the monorail since I was a child, so that is part of it and also my sister-in-law wanted to be able to walk back to the resort when she wanted to because she's mainly going to take pictures and walk around, she's not a ride person. I still have time to decide but am leaning towards saving the cash I believe. Thanks for responding and Happy Anniversary on the 31st. :)

FQ is not on the monorail, nor can you walk from any theme park to the resort.

Oh I understand - Contemporary is *still* on my bucket list, and has been since 1972 when I first went to Disney World!

But as much as I want to stay there, every time I start to book there, I look at the pricing and think about the fact that 1 night at CR is about the same as 2 to (depending on the time of year and any promo pricing) even as much as 3 nights at POFQ - and even MORE nights at a Value!

Having said that, I also know that sometimes it's not about the *length* of the trip, but how much you enjoy your time there. And whether's it's a bucket list item, or because you need a big suite to accommodate a larger group, or for whatever reason, you have to do what's right for you and your family. That's one of the great things about WDW in general, I think. There is truly something for everyone! :)

Oh I understand - Contemporary is *still* on my bucket list, and has been since 1972 when I first went to Disney World!

But as much as I want to stay there, every time I start to book there, I look at the pricing and think about the fact that 1 night at CR is about the same as 2 to (depending on the time of year and any promo pricing) even as much as 3 nights at POFQ - and even MORE nights at a Value!

Having said that, I also know that sometimes it's not about the *length* of the trip, but how much you enjoy your time there. And whether's it's a bucket list item, or because you need a big suite to accommodate a larger group, or for whatever reason, you have to do what's right for you and your family. That's one of the great things about WDW in general, I think. There is truly something for everyone! :)
I know exactly what you mean. I cannot justify a deluxe resort, as much as I want to. We have been going to WDW for 30+ years and have stayed at most of the deluxe resorts - before the prices became out of site (for us, at least). Not that we can't "afford" it now - but it is just too much money and we don't even spend a lot of time in the room or at the resort. Dh and I can go on 1 Princess cruise (we love sailing with Princess!) for a week (and that includes food) for the cost of just a couple of nights at a deluxe. Heck, maybe even 2 cruises for the price of a concierge level deluxe resort for a couple of nights, let alone for a week! But, please don't get me started on the crazy prices DCL charges!

No, I know. My original post was that I was thinking of staying at Bay Lake Tower for part of the trip. Thanks. :)

If it was any other time of year my vote would be to just stay at FQ, but everything I’ve seen about NYE is that Magic Kingdom is packed, and you honestly couldn’t pay me to go in. So how cool would spending the day at one of the other parks be (or morning MK and afternoons elsewhere) then come back to your suite (as opposed to two smaller rooms), and maybe order room service, chill out and watch the fireworks from your own balcony (assuming you are booking a park view room?) and welcome the New Year. To me that’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. So if you have the money, that might be the way I’d lean.

If it was any other time of year my vote would be to just stay at FQ, but everything I’ve seen about NYE is that Magic Kingdom is packed, and you honestly couldn’t pay me to go in. So how cool would spending the day at one of the other parks be (or morning MK and afternoons elsewhere) then come back to your suite (as opposed to two smaller rooms), and maybe order room service, chill out and watch the fireworks from your own balcony (assuming you are booking a park view room?) and welcome the New Year. To me that’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. So if you have the money, that might be the way I’d lean.

That would be some amazing memories! :)

I did go look at a certain favorite site of mine, and I found this that shows the NYE activities at POR for 2017. You can go back through the years to see what all went on in the past on this page.

I know that Disney Springs has stuff happening on NYE, doesn't it? That might be a cool alternative to the Parks as well.

I am trying to avoid having a room with a connecting door to another room at French Quarter.

Is there a map that shows the rooms with connecting doors?

I am trying to avoid having a room with a connecting door to another room at French Quarter.

Is there a map that shows the rooms with connecting doors?
PortOrleans.org shows them on their building maps (click on a specific building). Less than half of the rooms are connecting, so you should be able to fax in a request and get it filled easily.

We just booked a short stay (9/27-10/1) at POFQ and I'm so excited!
We may have to switch if one of our DVC waitlists comes through but it's not looking likely. We just finished a week at BCV and it's nice to have this to look forward to.

If i do uber where do they pick up? The lobby or will they come to our building?

I'm pretty sure I've seen in the uber thread (on the transport board) that you can be picked up outside your building if you'd like. Just go to that circle/roundabout by your building before you request one.

I have a lake view booked for the two nights, 30th and 31st. Now I'm thinking about changing our Park schedule and going to MK the 30th AND 31st just n the morning and then maybe HS for a few rides, I'm only interested in 3 of them: TOT, Slinky Dog and R&R Coaster. I thought if I booked a room at Boardwalk or one in that area that we could maybe walk over to Epcot later on for their fireworks since we'll see MK's on the 30th. So cancel the two nights at BLT and book one room on the 31st within walking distance to Epcot. I may be too old for this stuff though. LOL

That would be some amazing memories! :)

I did go look at a certain favorite site of mine, and I found this that shows the NYE activities at POR for 2017. You can go back through the years to see what all went on in the past on this page.

I know that Disney Springs has stuff happening on NYE, doesn't it? That might be a cool alternative to the Parks as well.

That sounds nice and relaxing after a whirlwind 4.5 day trip. Thanks for sharing.

PortOrleans.org shows them on their building maps (click on a specific building). Less than half of the rooms are connecting, so you should be able to fax in a request and get it filled easily.
Very nice! Thanks!

I had seen that map, but didn't realize you could click on a specific building. This is great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter