• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

We are there 21 days and was able to book the first 14 days when my window opened and then the remaining days opened one at a time on a rolling day to day basis for the last week. Check your MDE. They did not open exactly on time for the subsequent days, but it seemed to load each new day into the availability a within a couple of hours of midnight Eastern time.
Oooh thanks, I'll check.

I did them on the laptop as I know people have had issues with the app and FPs disappearing. When I first logged on at 5am there were only a few attractions listed for MK (7DMT and Peter Pan weren't there, among others), but when I went back about 9am (I'd FP the Ariel show/ride not the M&G, so needed to change it) there were more there.

We're at POFQ from 24th-28th July, then a villa to August 12th. It's showing me 24th July to 2nd August, but from 30th July onwards it says my party is not eligible for FP+ selections on those days.

Woohoo!!! Originally we were booked at Pop for our November trip but we are switching to my beloved POFQ!!! Can't wait to be back.. we stayed at my other fave resort, Riverside last year so I am very excited! And really excited for my sister and brother in law to try FQ for the first time! :bitelip:

Do you guys like POFQ better than Riverside?

Another vote for Port Orleans French Quarter. I've stayed at both but like the smaller size of POFQ along with the quiet courtyards with fountains. One of my favorite Disney Resorts.

I have to preface by saying we've never stayed at POR. In fact, POFQ last year was our first moderate stay. Had been all Value trips before that. But we fell in love with POFQ and are staying there again this year! I kept thinking I should try another moderate instead, but my whole family loved POFQ and really wanted to stay there again.

I think the reasons I'd rather stay here again than try Riverside have to do with the buses and the size. In our whole week at POFQ, we only stopped at POR to pick up guests one time--and that was at an off time, heading to DHS. After making those four stops at POR, I decided I'd never want to do that every single time I got on a bus! I loved that every other time we got on the bus and headed to the park immediately. No "making the rounds". And when we did share with POR coming back from somewhere, we were always the first stop. Just seemed like so much wasted time with all those stops in POR.

And it also made us realize just how big POR is and how far removed some of those rooms are from the main building! We like filling our cups at the food court and it's so nice that at POFQ, no room is more than a few minutes' walk. Same thing with the buses, pool...everything! It's just so small that you can walk from one end to the other and everywhere in between in no time!

Boy, that turned into a long answer!

I have to preface by saying we've never stayed at POR. In fact, POFQ last year was our first moderate stay. Had been all Value trips before that. But we fell in love with POFQ and are staying there again this year! I kept thinking I should try another moderate instead, but my whole family loved POFQ and really wanted to stay there again. I think the reasons I'd rather stay here again than try Riverside have to do with the buses and the size. In our whole week at POFQ, we only stopped at POR to pick up guests one time--and that was at an off time, heading to DHS. After making those four stops at POR, I decided I'd never want to do that every single time I got on a bus! I loved that every other time we got on the bus and headed to the park immediately. No "making the rounds". And when we did share with POR coming back from somewhere, we were always the first stop. Just seemed like so much wasted time with all those stops in POR. And it also made us realize just how big POR is and how far removed some of those rooms are from the main building! We like filling our cups at the food court and it's so nice that at POFQ, no room is more than a few minutes' walk. Same thing with the buses, pool...everything! It's just so small that you can walk from one end to the other and everywhere in between in no time! Boy, that turned into a long answer!

Your reasons are the reasons dd20 and I are staying at POFQ for our mother-daughter trip in July. We always stay at the dolphin with DH, but since it's just the two of us, we are going with magical express. I want small & easy. Riverside is pretty, but too spread out. I will miss my beautiful Dolphin, but for a quick extra trip, POFQ should be nice for the two of us.

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Do you guys like POFQ better than Riverside?

The POFQ thread is probably not the best place to ask for an unbiased answer to that question... it's like asking at a Beatles fan-club meeting whether the Fab Four are better than the Rolling Stones. :)

Ironically, my own answer is actually Riverside for the extra facilities, wider range of food and recreation options, more varied and richer landscaping, etc. But FQ is more compact and easier to get around if that's your priority.

Andre

Hi Everyone,
Just hopping on board. This November will be our 29th anniversary. We were going to wait for the big 30, but I snagged free dining so here we go. At first I had to book Pop, but dh got a pin so I moved us to POFQ. I am beyond excited. Last time we went we stayed at CBR and that was our first Mod. DH still thinks we are staying at POP, though I am ashamed to say he may not know or appreciate the difference. Our youngest son just graduated from college so with my Disney visa points he received an education and I get a vacation. I am looking forward to planning along with everyone here. And I also have all of my dining ressies done.

Assuming there are tables by the pool at POFQ, can you bring meals from the Food Court out to eat by the pool? Just thinking it might be easier than having kids go back to room to change for dinner...

Assuming there are tables by the pool at POFQ, can you bring meals from the Food Court out to eat by the pool? Just thinking it might be easier than having kids go back to room to change for dinner...

Yes you can, just don't take food or drinks too close to the pool itself (especially in glass containers).

There's even a phone at the pool bar where you can order pizza to be delivered to you poolside if you wish (although it is more expensive that way, it counts as room delivery).

Andre

Hi Everyone,
Just hopping on board. This November will be our 29th anniversary. We were going to wait for the big 30, but I snagged free dining so here we go. At first I had to book Pop, but dh got a pin so I moved us to POFQ. I am beyond excited. Last time we went we stayed at CBR and that was our first Mod. DH still thinks we are staying at POP, though I am ashamed to say he may not know or appreciate the difference. Our youngest son just graduated from college so with my Disney visa points he received an education and I get a vacation. I am looking forward to planning along with everyone here. And I also have all of my dining ressies done.

Good for you! We are leaving for POFQ in two weeks for our 25th anniversary! Our twin boys are half way through collage now so they are staying behind and watching the house for us. This is our first trip to WDW.

Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter will both be taking part in a two-week trial of an innovative new time-saving checkin procedure for guests arriving between Monday 16 June and Saturday 28 June 2014.

To qualify, guests with arrival dates between 16 and 28 June will need to have first created a My Disney Experience account, and already received their Magic Bands at home (meaning that this test will only be available to domestic US residents). The guests will also need to have completed Online Checkin, and paid in full prior to arrival - including setting up a PIN number for their account. Basically, everything you would normally do while standing at the Front Desk needs to have been completed in advance.

Any guests who meet these requirements will automatically receive a notification email a few days prior to arrival to make them aware of the test, and then an hour or so before their stated arrival time they will get a further text message and/or email indicating their assigned room number. They are then free to proceed directly to their room without any need to first call at the Front Desk.

Anyone not wishing to take advantage of this test - or perhaps needing more information, or with questions or concerns about the location of their room - should simply show up at the Front Desk and check-in normally. There is no need to "opt out" if anyone does not wish to participate, this is purely an added convenience.

See http://www.portorleans.org/news.php#050614 for more info.

Andre

Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter will both be taking part in a two-week trial of an innovative new time-saving checkin procedure for guests arriving between Monday 16 June and Saturday 28 June 2014.

To qualify, guests with arrival dates between 16 and 28 June will need to have first created a My Disney Experience account, and already received their Magic Bands at home (meaning that this test will only be available to domestic US residents). The guests will also need to have completed Online Checkin, and paid in full prior to arrival - including setting up a PIN number for their account. Basically, everything you would normally do while standing at the Front Desk needs to have been completed in advance.

Any guests who meet these requirements will automatically receive a notification email a few days prior to arrival to make them aware of the test, and then an hour or so before their stated arrival time they will get a further text message and/or email indicating their assigned room number. They are then free to proceed directly to their room without any need to first call at the Front Desk.

Anyone not wishing to take advantage of this test - or perhaps needing more information, or with questions or concerns about the location of their room - should simply show up at the Front Desk and check-in normally. There is no need to "opt out" if anyone does not wish to participate, this is purely an added convenience.

Andre

Wow! That sounds pretty darn cool. If this takes off I sure hope it doesn't do away with CM jobs. One of the biggest parts of going to Disney is the customer service interaction. :goodvibes

I had a couple of questions about the buses, does anyone know how the buses run at POR? Which stop is first and which stop is last or is it always random? And do they always go to POR first for drop off or FQ? Trying to get an idea of the bus route when picking people up and dropping off. :)

The reason I ask is due to Coronado Springs Resort having a specific way of running their buses. They go to the second bus stop first then third, fourth and then the front of the resort when dropping off and pickup guests.

Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter will both be taking part in a two-week trial of an innovative new time-saving checkin procedure for guests arriving between Monday 16 June and Saturday 28 June 2014. To qualify, guests with arrival dates between 16 and 28 June will need to have first created a My Disney Experience account, and already received their Magic Bands at home (meaning that this test will only be available to domestic US residents). The guests will also need to have completed Online Checkin, and paid in full prior to arrival - including setting up a PIN number for their account. Basically, everything you would normally do while standing at the Front Desk needs to have been completed in advance. Any guests who meet these requirements will automatically receive a notification email a few days prior to arrival to make them aware of the test, and then an hour or so before their stated arrival time they will get a further text message and/or email indicating their assigned room number. They are then free to proceed directly to their room without any need to first call at the Front Desk. Anyone not wishing to take advantage of this test - or perhaps needing more information, or with questions or concerns about the location of their room - should simply show up at the Front Desk and check-in normally. There is no need to "opt out" if anyone does not wish to participate, this is purely an added convenience. See http://www.portorleans.org/news.php#050614 for more info. Andre
Very exciting. I check in June 22 so I can't wait to try this out. So could this mean that once magical express drops me off at the resort I could go to the park without actually going to check in at all? I did all the requirements already so I think I qualify. I might want to check to make sure my room key worked on the room but this would be an awesome option.

Andre

We are going during that time! Knowing our luck, the MBs won't open the door for some reason. In the online check in I gave a rough estimate as 8:30pm for arrival. If we get there at tad earlier, I assume we can still go ahead on in.

Wow! That sounds pretty darn cool. If this takes off I sure hope it doesn't do away with CM jobs. One of the biggest parts of going to Disney is the customer service interaction. :goodvibes

I had a couple of questions about the buses, does anyone know how the buses run at POR? Which stop is first and which stop is last or is it always random? And do they always go to POR first for drop off or FQ? Trying to get an idea of the bus route when picking people up and dropping off. :)

The reason I ask is due to Coronado Springs Resort having a specific way of running their buses. They go to the second bus stop first then third, fourth and then the front of the resort when dropping off and pickup guests.

Buses are POR run in normal order starting with 1.

Also, the very few times we have had to share a bus with POR, FQ was picked up first and dropped off first.

Very exciting. I check in June 22 so I can't wait to try this out. So could this mean that once magical express drops me off at the resort I could go to the park without actually going to check in at all? I did all the requirements already so I think I qualify.

Yes, once you've received your room notification by text (even if your room is not quite ready yet) your band will be activated for all other functions, just as if you'd gone to the Front Desk.

Andre

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter