• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

Trip is off to a great start
Asked for and got connecting rooms. We are in building 2, looking out towards the fountain.
Had breakfast when we got here, about 10. Made it to MK by 11.
Got our rooms about 2:30, came back to nap. Then grabbed dinner in the food court.
Then to Lyft to Beaches and Cream and got ourselves a Kitchen Sink!
About ready to hit the sack

As for our meals here
Breakfast was fabulous
I had the Sweet Potatoe Waffle
DH an omelet
DGD the big Mickey waffle
DD got the baquette French toast

Dinner was good
I did a pasta, DD did a rice bowl
DH got the prime rib meat and 3, DGD got the ribs meat and 3
The prime rib wasn't great, not that I'd assume it would be. No horseradish, per DH
My pasta was really good. DD loved her ribs and the Mac and cheese. Red beans and rice was bland

I did find the dish station annoying. I don't mind busing my own stuff but they have you put food in one place, dishes in another, yes you clean them yourself, then trash in another. We stood there waiting our turn to bus our dishes almost as long as we did to order. Plus it tool the staff forever to dump the bins, there are 5 cans they have to empty and they block the entire station when they clear it

We have never been to New Orleans so haven't had the real thing to compare POFQ' s beignets. Just know we liked them . That said we are from the Philadelphia area and have never considered ordering a cheesesteak at Disney .
I am also from the Philly area and never order a cheesesteak anywhere we go. Nothing compares to the bread that is used. Lol!!!!!

We are here and really struggling with the food court. Staff is short, they don't understand the menu and offering are very themed and out of my family's taste buds. This will deff lean us back to riverside in the future. The "island" in the middle of the food court is the worst idea EVER... You can't find your family and find yourself going round and round it to find what your need. Very poor design choice for crowd flow.

I have stayed at almost every resort here at Disney, with this stay being the first at POFQ.

I cannot compare the new food court to the old but I can say that of all the resorts I have stayed at, this food court is my least favorite.

The flow is all wrong and it is way understaffed. It is not the food court you would expect at a moderate.

There is not enough space between the food lines and the cashier lines. In peak usage, you can't get around to where you need to be because of the traffic jams the intermingling of the lines causes.

Love the resort! It is beautifully themed and intimate in size but we won't be staying here again because of the food court. It is way too small and poorly designed.

After reading the comments on the food court I am starting to think we are in the minority in that we rarely ever go in one. Once or twice a trip, maybe. The food in them is never halfway as good as what we find in the parks. We may grab a breakfast once in a while but that is not an every day thing. Dinner like we did last night even more rare. If I like everything about a resort it's quick service choice is just not part of the decision making process on where we stay. Clearly most others find the QS choice to be much more important. Surprises me, it's all

Trip is off to a great start
Asked for and got connecting rooms. We are in building 2, looking out towards the fountain.
Had breakfast when we got here, about 10. Made it to MK by 11.
Got our rooms about 2:30, came back to nap. Then grabbed dinner in the food court.
Then to Lyft to Beaches and Cream and got ourselves a Kitchen Sink!
About ready to hit the sack

As for our meals here
Breakfast was fabulous
I had the Sweet Potatoe Waffle
DH an omelet
DGD the big Mickey waffle
DD got the baquette French toast

Dinner was good
I did a pasta, DD did a rice bowl
DH got the prime rib meat and 3, DGD got the ribs meat and 3
The prime rib wasn't great, not that I'd assume it would be. No horseradish, per DH
My pasta was really good. DD loved her ribs and the Mac and cheese. Red beans and rice was bland

I did find the dish station annoying. I don't mind busing my own stuff but they have you put food in one place, dishes in another, yes you clean them yourself, then trash in another. We stood there waiting our turn to bus our dishes almost as long as we did to order. Plus it tool the staff forever to dump the bins, there are 5 cans they have to empty and they block the entire station when they clear it

Where I live, (suburbs of the Twin Cities in MN) practacially every counter-type restaurant (Panera, etc) has you bus your own dishes with different bins for recycling, food, plastic. I think in some of the QS restaurants in the parks you do it this way too, if they have room...not a biggie for us, but most have enough bins that lines to do it are not a problem.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new food court. I never did like those creepy masks, but I agree having nothing on the ceiling kind of makes the idea of a "float warehouse" a stretch. We usually have never eaten the hot foods, just grab and go type stuff, though. I did have a po' boy once for lunch....didn't care for it at all...but that was years ago. Only a few more days for us...yippee!!

OH dear . . . I don't know about the whole bussing tables thing. If it were just taking a tray and dropping it off, I could do that. But scraping my own plates at home makes me gag and sometimes vomit (I use a lot of disposable stuff at home to prevent going through this) so I really try to avoid having to do this in public. I may have to eat a lot more meals at Disney Springs than I planned to.

The whole scraping plates thing goes back to the principal at our elementary school making everyone work in the cafeteria, and since I was tall, I got garbage disposal duty. I have never been the same after that experience.

Where I live, (suburbs of the Twin Cities in MN) practacially every counter-type restaurant (Panera, etc) has you bus your own dishes with different bins for recycling, food, plastic. I think in some of the QS restaurants in the parks you do it this way too, if they have room...not a biggie for us, but most have enough bins that lines to do it are not a problem.
We eat out a lot but not at QS type places. Where we are served. I'm not one for unnecessary waste but the set up they have is not efficient. Paper would be better

They did use paper plates and plastic cutlery, it was only changed in the recent refurb. Personally I prefer being civilised, rather than trying to cut my steak without snapping the flimsy plastic knife or tearing a hole in the paper plate. :)

Andre
And from the environmental perspective, I would imagine that washing is more earth friendly and probably more economical than non-recyclable plastic, or having people just toss everything together to dispose of.

It was kind of a surprise when they went to changing sheets and towels only every few days, or upon request, too. I got used to that pretty quickly - I sure don't change my sheets and towels every day at home...lol.

After reading the comments on the food court I am starting to think we are in the minority in that we rarely ever go in one. Once or twice a trip, maybe. The food in them is never halfway as good as what we find in the parks. We may grab a breakfast once in a while but that is not an every day thing. Dinner like we did last night even more rare. If I like everything about a resort it's quick service choice is just not part of the decision making process on where we stay. Clearly most others find the QS choice to be much more important. Surprises me, it's all
Same with us . DH and I usually only eat breakfast there so it is not a deciding factor in staying at POFQ. The closeness to DS and being able to walk up to POR are the reason we stay there.

Just got a chance to see some of the pics of the renovations.....I like it. It looks more like a krewe's den than it did before (a den is where the floats are prepped and stored during the year). I really dig the drink station theming of an unfinished float and love the spray paint markings on the floor as if they had painted some cutouts that are going on a float.

We have been here all week. This is our first stay in POFQ. We have really enjoyed it here. I just wish we had more time to enjoy it. I have the agree with the PP that the food court set up isn't great. To cramped. The soda machines keep messing up and have to be reset. They will say pumping and nothing comes out. Then you have to stand waiting around for your refill time to start over. Also agree that the trash station is not user friendly. Specifically the "trash" part. Very small hole and the actual trash can inside doesn't sit flush to the opening so things don't go in it easy. We have ate breakfast every morning here. Food has been perfectly fine. Pain Perdu is really good if you are prepared for a total sugar shock. We had lunch/dinner/after park meals (teenagers!) and that has also been good. The first few days service was a bit slow, but as the week has went on you can tell the staff is adjusting to the menu and the turn around is getting much better. That being said, these are small issues and they didn't bother us at all. POFQ and its food court get two thumbs up from me and my crew!

The trash situation is a pain. It takes a long time to sort through all your plates. Not a huge deal except for when there are others trying to do the same. There really isn't room but for one to do their trash at a time, since you need access to all the bins. No one wants to stand in line for trash service. There are 4 or so stations but still always a wait

Here now and I noticed in my room a paper to extend my current stay with a discount. I've never received one before, only a flier for a bounce back. Has anyone else had one in their room?

Here now and I noticed in my room a paper to extend my current stay with a discount. I've never received one before, only a flier for a bounce back. Has anyone else had one in their room?

I wish it was possible to decide on the spur of the moment to extend one's stay - maybe some who drive could do that, but with the significant charge to change air reservations, plus all the other commitments - it is only a dream for me.... :)

What is the discount?
I'm not in the room now, just noticed it on the way out to the parks. I know it said it was valid until the end of the year, and I'm pretty sure it didn't say what the discount was. I'm guessing I have to call to see what it is. I don't think I have enough posts on her to post a picture of it but I can try to do that when I get back to POFQ.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter