Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

I'm reading a lot of negative reviews regarding the rooms seeming old and "dated". I'm having second thoughts about keeping my reservation at POFQ. Anyone have any recent experiences with the rooms?

I'm reading a lot of negative reviews regarding the rooms seeming old and "dated".

If you want clean, modern, white and ... blandly sterile, you could try the refurbished rooms at Pop Century. POFQ is going to get rooms refurbishments early next year, and I really hope they don't go down the same route and throw away the current charm and theme.

Andre

I'm reading a lot of negative reviews regarding the rooms seeming old and "dated". I'm having second thoughts about keeping my reservation at POFQ. Anyone have any recent experiences with the rooms?

We're just back and I thought they were fine. The beds just had the sheets/blanket, no bedspread or anything, it was a typical room. Our room was well-kept and clean.

We just returned on Saturday from 6 nights at POFQ. Overall, we had a great vacation. There were a few snags here and there, as there always are, but we were pleased with POFQ.

I had faxed a room request 5 days in advance for our river view room to be in either Building 5 or 6. It was in Building 5, second floor. I usually prefer 1st floor, but I have to say it was very quiet - no people walking by our room, and we didn't hear our neighbors at all. We were right around the corner from the elevator and stairs that led to the pool side, and if we went the other way out of our room, we went to another set of stairs and could walk across the courtyard to the parking lot and access the bus stops from there. A little shorter than going back through the lobby. We did appreciate that the resort was smaller than our usual mainstay, CSR, and it was convenient to get our drinks refilled, go to the pool, and the bus. My younger son said it felt like a little town with its streets and close buildings.

We ate breakfast at the food court twice and while it was pretty good, the seating seems to be inadequate.

The buses were probably the thing we'd give a so-so review for. As Disney vets, we know that it's hit-and-miss no matter where you are. We seemed to have a string of bad luck where we arrived at the bus stop at 8:15-8:20 and our bus was just pulling out, or had left within the past 5 minutes. We usually had to wait about 25 minutes for the next bus, putting us not arriving at the parks until right at 9:00 so a little behind the rest of the crowd getting in. Really, they should be sending buses more often than that leading up to park opening, and that's not a dig at POFQ, but more of a reflection of the fact that because it's a smaller resort I don't think they send as many buses there as, say, for CSR because there's not as many guests. We did appreciate that when the bus loaded it was just one stop, and the drivers got as many people as possible on the buses, and also that the transit time to all the parks except AK was right about 10-12 minutes. The only time we shared with Riverside was when we were going back to the resort from AK, and going back to AK after an afternoon break. There was just one queue at the AK bus depot for the PO resorts, all the other parks had dedicated queues for POFQ and POR. One notable afternoon leaving MK for a rest break at the resort, we waited about 45 minutes for our bus, watching 2-3 buses go by for CSR, BC/YC, SSR, and others. That was so frustrating.

On our day off, we took the boat over the POR and went to the fishing hole. That was fun, but disappointing because none of the four of us even got a nibble in 30 minutes. The CM at the fishing hole said going very early is best, while we were there from 10:00-10:30. After we fished, I had thought we'd change and visit the pool there at POR, but my kids were not interested in that pool. It was already quite busy and full, and they said they'd rather go back to the pool at POFQ. So we did. We visited the pool I think twice, and the kids enjoyed splashing around. My youngest went down the slide a lot. We also took the boat over the Disney Springs, and that was a nice change.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at POFQ and would stay there again.

Stayed in May and the room was very clean and I did not feel like it was worn at all. I do believe they are scheduled for a soft goods redo this fall though. That said, so many resorts are having complete room remodels. If you like modern those would be the ones to stay at: POP, CSR, Y&BC. Personally I feel those new remodels lack themeing so I would choose an older room over new.

Just got my e-mail from Disney saying we have 2 weeks to go before we have to pay our full amount! Next Tuesday is also our fastpass day :teeth:

Just got my e-mail from Disney saying we have 2 weeks to go before we have to pay our full amount! Next Tuesday is also our fastpass day :teeth:

Our FastPass+ day is in two weeks and I'm SO EXCITED!!! Now if I can just get DH to make up his mind which rides he wants to go on...:hyper2:

Do you know how late concierge/guest services stays open until? We have an issue with one FP and I haven't had luck with phone IT, but some people recommended talking to Guest Services. Just trying to figure out if we should go before heading to Disney Springs on arrival day or if we can wait until we get back!

Looking forward to our 2 night stay at POFQ in September before our Disney Dream cruise! :banana::boat::beach:

Really? We stayed at POFQ in Feb/Mar. My first ever on-site stay anywhere and I loved the room. I don't think it felt tired or dated at all. I wouldn't hesitate to go back. I've been trying to figure out how we can fit a quick trip in next year, but it's all gone from the UK offers now :(

We were staying at Pop when we drove over to check out POFQ and immediately fell in love with the resort. It was a dream come true when we booked our first stay the following year. But I have to admit when I first saw photos of the rooms I thought they looked dated and was wondering if I'd be disappointed. Once I actually stepped into the room all my doubts disappeared. The rooms are charming and totally fit the theming of the resort. If it were more modern it would have felt out of place. It's not a style of furniture I'd choose for my house, but I wouldn't want anything else for this resort.

Last edited:
We were staying at Pop when we drove over to check out POFQ and immediately fell in love with the resort. It was a dream come true when we booked our first stay the following year. But I have to admit when I first saw photos of the rooms I thought they looked dated and was wondering if I'd be disappointed. Once I actually stepped into the room all my doubts disappeared. The rooms are charming and totally fit the theming of the resort. If it was more modern it would have felt out of place. It's not a style of furniture I'd choose for my house, but I wouldn't want anything else for this resort.

Thank you for your response! This really helps. I've been going back and forth on whether to keep our Pop or POFQ reservation. I think we'll take the leap and try out POFQ. :earboy2:

If you want clean, modern, white and ... blandly sterile, you could try the refurbished rooms at Pop Century. POFQ is going to get rooms refurbishments early next year, and I really hope they don't go down the same route and throw away the current charm and theme.

Andre
I am with you, I am not a fan of the POP refurb. I really hate losing the only table once you pull down the bed. I also am not sold on the carpet-less floors, I just think in a couple years they are going to look real bad., hopefully I will be wrong:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter