Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Thank you both webstah and Mome Rath ::yes:: I was thinking of requesting either Bayou or Mansion when I do the initial booking. I must say that it is hard to decide which one to choose as they look both charming..so maybe it is good that they can't promise anything ;)

Patiently waiting for pics of the newly refurbished rooms from POR AB....:bored: Even though I am more interested in the mansion rooms, I am still curious about alligator bayou rooms :magnify:

It's my understanding that the only way to guarantee one over the other is to 1) Book a 5 person room to secure Alligator Bayou and 2) Book a Royal Room to secure a Mansion stay. Both sections of the resort have both pool view and garden view.

Or Preferred. Those are also all AB.

Hi all!
I am currently booked rack rate at POFQ for 11/28-12/2. We stayed at POFQ in 2016 and absolutely loved it. (We loved the small feel, the transportation was the best of anywhere we stayed on property, the theming was great, and the pool was awesome.)
I have the option of switching to an agency exclusive deal at POR that will save me close to $100/night. DH is all for it, but I am hesitant for several reasons.
1) Pop Warner week- we are teachers so being around loosely supervised kids and teens at our resort is not something we want. Plus there is the possibility of running into some students/parents while we play hookey.
How likely is it that Pop Warner/cheer groups will be staying at POR?
2) Size of the resort is intimidating to me. With our deal we’d be in a standard room. We want to swim in the Ol’ Man Island Pool a ton because my kids are obsessed with water slides.
How far of a walk is it from the super far standard rooms to Ol’ Man Island pool?
3) Transportation. I’m reading reports of people waiting at their bus stops within the resort and having full buses pass them. They’re waiting forever to get on a bus. (We’ve only ever stayed at resorts that have a single bus stop in the past.)
How is the transportation? And how far of a walk is it from the furthest rooms to the first bus stop should we want to wait up there instead?
4) Christmasy feel. I want to hear a steady stream of Christmas classics and see decorations everywhere. From a few tours I’ve watched of POR Christmas it doesn’t seem like they do much.
Has anyone been there at Christmas? How is it?

I’m sorry for the long post. I just figured I’d ask you experts if my fears are valid or if I should jump in and save the money like DH’s wants.

Thank you in advance!

We stayed at POR the first week of December last year. It was also a pop warner week but we didn't notice anything at the resort or even in the parks. The resort was beautiful, lots of Christmas flowers and decorations. We stayed in building 39 which some people think is far, however we love this resort so a 5 -8 min walk to the pool or food court isn't a big deal for us. Most of the time the buses were great. We are morning people so we are at the bus stops early and we didn't have a problem, only once when we were going back to Epcot around 4pm we waited for a bus for 1/2 an hour. We have stayed at POR many times and would go back again in a minute. No matter where you stay Christmas at Disney is awesome, good luck with your decision :santa:

Hi all!
I am currently booked rack rate at POFQ for 11/28-12/2. We stayed at POFQ in 2016 and absolutely loved it. (We loved the small feel, the transportation was the best of anywhere we stayed on property, the theming was great, and the pool was awesome.)
I have the option of switching to an agency exclusive deal at POR that will save me close to $100/night. DH is all for it, but I am hesitant for several reasons.
1) Pop Warner week- we are teachers so being around loosely supervised kids and teens at our resort is not something we want. Plus there is the possibility of running into some students/parents while we play hookey.
2) Size of the resort is intimidating to me. With our deal we’d be in a standard room. We want to swim in the Ol’ Man Island Pool a ton because my kids are obsessed with water slides.
How far of a walk is it from the super far standard rooms to Ol’ Man Island pool?
3) Transportation. I’m reading reports of people waiting at their bus stops within the resort and having full buses pass them. They’re waiting forever to get on a bus. (We’ve only ever stayed at resorts that have a single bus stop in the past.)
How is the transportation? And how far of a walk is it from the furthest rooms to the first bus stop should we want to wait up there instead?
4) Christmasy feel. I want to hear a steady stream of Christmas classics and see decorations everywhere. From a few tours I’ve watched of POR Christmas it doesn’t seem like they do much.

I’m sorry for the long post. I just figured I’d ask you experts if my fears are valid or if I should jump in and save the money like DH’s wants.

Thank you in advance!
Switch to POR. $100 a night makes it a no brainer. Enjoy your trip.

POR pool is fancier than POFQ pool. Your kids will enjoy it more!

Switch to POR. $100 a night makes it a no brainer. Enjoy your trip.

POR pool is fancier than POFQ pool. Your kids will enjoy it more!
Thanks! Just curious- if I stayed in the room furthest away from the Ol’ Man Island pool, how long would it take us to walk to it?

We stayed at POR the first week of December last year. It was also a pop warner week but we didn't notice anything at the resort or even in the parks. The resort was beautiful, lots of Christmas flowers and decorations. We stayed in building 39 which some people think is far, however we love this resort so a 5 -8 min walk to the pool or food court isn't a big deal for us. Most of the time the buses were great. We are morning people so we are at the bus stops early and we didn't have a problem, only once when we were going back to Epcot around 4pm we waited for a bus for 1/2 an hour. We have stayed at POR many times and would go back again in a minute. No matter where you stay Christmas at Disney is awesome, good luck with your decision :santa:
Thanks! I’m super excited to go! We are not early risers though, so I’m still a bit nervous about the transportation...

Hi all!

I love both resorts and I switch off staying between the two of them. From what you just said here, regardless of everything else, I'd go with FQ, just because it sounds like the right "fit" for you, and then you can go over to Riverside and check it out/swim in that pool while you are there.

It's not that different between the two (IMO) that it should cause a fight, meaning if one of you feels more strongly what you should do, just go with it. Again, whichever you choose you can go to the other hotel to swim, shop, eat, etc...

Not likely at all, neither Port hotel is a part of the Pop Warner deal for 2018 as far as I know (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

It is bigger, so that is one thing that definitely a positive for FQ if you want a really short walk anywhere. I don't mind a walk in Riverside because it's beautiful, so I haven't really ever timed out the walks, and they don't bother me.

3) Transportation. I’m reading reports of people waiting at their bus stops within the resort and having full buses pass them. They’re waiting forever to get on a bus. (We’ve only ever stayed at resorts that have a single bus stop in the past.)How is the transportation? And how far of a walk is it from the furthest rooms to the first bus stop should we want to wait up there instead?

I've never had that issue, but there are 4 stops, so you can pick which you want to go to at Riverside. I usually use a mix of the main stop, and the one closest to my room.

I like Christmas at both resorts, the trees are really pretty, if there is a difference, I'd say FQ is just a bit more colorful.

I like trying out new Disney hotels, so that is something to consider. But if you have your heart set on FQ, then Riverside may not be able to win you over. But, like I said, I love 'em both, so whichever you go with, I hope you have a great trip!

Thanks! Just curious- if I stayed in the room furthest away from the Ol’ Man Island pool, how long would it take us to walk to it?
Google maps has a great walking route calculator. Parterre Place is the furthest, but those are royal rooms. You would be in a standard room. If you request a room in the mansions, you won't be far at all. You would request Magnolia Terrace or Acadian House.

Thank you both webstah and Mome Rath ::yes:: I was thinking of requesting either Bayou or Mansion when I do the initial booking. I must say that it is hard to decide which one to choose as they look both charming..so maybe it is good that they can't promise anything ;)
I'd choose Mansion.... walking from the Bayou to the main pool and food court is a nightmare:sad2:

p07jmt826ggbhx2x.png

al6ypv7dkvyue27u.png

Note that the "first" bus stop at POR is the West stop on the back of the resort, and the last stop is South, by the Prefered area. So, if you have a standard room booked, you can ask to be near the West stop, which is the first one.

The resort is large but very walkable. I think the furthest rooms are around 1/3 mile from ol man island. Maybe a 5-10 minute walk?

We were near the back of Acadian house and it was less than 5 minute stroll to the main pool. It was about 15 minutes stroll to the pool at POFQ

Honestly I’d read reports on here that made out like it would be 30 minutes walk to the pool or food court but, for the mansions at least, everything you need in POR is a maximum of 10 minutes stroll (why walk faster on holiday in your resort?!)

On buses, we were never left waiting at the North depot. I don’t remember anyone not getting on East either. A couple of mornings we had breakfast in the food court so git the bus from South. They had someone there organising and once we got a bus just for the south depot

Hi all!

Thank you in advance!

POR is our fav moderate resort, with pofq a close second. We love the mansion section and request a location close to the Old Man Island foot bridge. So I’d take the $100/night Discount wouldn’t have to ask me twice. Por mansions are pretty centrally located. And both Magnolia Terrace and Acadian House have bus depots behind them past Parking lots. I’ve never had bad bus service at Por.
The Mansions are all along the river, and the landscaping is beautiful.

Can someone who's stayed at both POR and POFQ summarize the differences?

We're big fans of FQ but will be staying in POR for the first time.

TIA
One big difference is that POR has five beautiful leizure/quiet pools and POFQ has none. Yes, you can use all 7 pools at both resorts when you stay at either one, but getting there would be a 15 minute walk each way.

Hey everyone. Our family trip (first visit for myself and our 2 daughters) is coming up in Nov- so our 60 day check in is coming up soon. We have booked a royal room with a pool view. I’m curious what I should be requesting when I check in early. I realize they aren’t guarantees- I just wonder what type of things I can mention other than location?
Info for us- we’re traveling with a 2yo and 5yo along with a double jogging stroller and bag. Girls will absolutely want to swim as much as possible when we aren’t at parks. We plan on using Disney transportation as much as possible.
Any suggestions on what to request to maximize convenience and lower the hassle with the stroller would be really great.

Thank you!!!!

I’d ask for ground floor. After that you won’t have too many pool view options for the Royal rooms (they’ll all face the leisure pool between blocks 90 & 95). You’ll be fine with all of them IMO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter