Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

I am interested in booking at POR and just looked into my dates, and there are no preferred rooms left. If I book a "garden view" room, does anyone know which buildings that room might be in? What are the buildings closest to the main area? Thank you!
Garden views are scattered around. The preffered buildings are the closest to the main building. All you can do is put a request in asking to be close to the main building and hope you get a close building.

Are there currently still alarm clocks in the rooms? I swear I read where they had been taken out, but I couldn't find the post when I tried to search.

Sitting in room at POR right now and, nope, no clocks!

Hmmm, makes me wonder if I should take my car. The boat just seemed so easy. But I didn't think of long lines...

Left Disney Springs last night around 830. Line backed up to end of path...waited about 10 minutes. The boats were coming about every 5 minutes. We were actually REALLY impressed with their efficiency! Much more than busses!

Checked in yesterday for a quick 2 night stay. I forgot how gorgeous this place is! Put in requests for highest floor and early arrival. Checked in around 830 AM? Room wasn't ready till 315 and we got 1st floor, ha ha! So, neither request was granted, but I am OK with that. Vacation = no stressing over little things.

We crammed in so much yesterday - Winter Summeralnd, Fort Wilderness for lunch and tetherball, Disney Springs for Splitzvillle and dinner, swimming for an hour, etc.

Today will be just as busy. But I gotta squeeze a call in to see if there is a bounce back...Disney sucked us right back in.

POR really is fantastic! We are in AB and I am surprised at how much I like it. I am much more a clean lines, manicured lawns type than overgrown foliage. The rooms are great, it was nice to have the pull down bed so my kids got their own space, and I love the dark "wood" bathroom!! Overall...we will be back!

I am interested in booking at POR and just looked into my dates, and there are no preferred rooms left. If I book a "garden view" room, does anyone know which buildings that room might be in? What are the buildings closest to the main area? Thank you!

If you go to Andre's fantastic website (http://www.portorleans.org/floorplans.php), click on each building on the map and you will see what buildings have what type of rooms. As mentioned before, Garden views in every building. Just request for the closest room to the main area. The most distant building is only 6-7 minutes away from the lobby.

I hadn't heard that they had finally installed monitors at all the stops, but that's good news if they have done. We just have to wait for them to be tested and activated I guess. Anyone there are the moment able to confirm this info?

Andre
They were working while we were there a few weeks ago.

It's up to you. But I've had many POR stays, and always request Acadian House or Magnolia terrace, and I've never been put in the AB section. I also send a fax 4-5 days before check in with my requests, which I also have noted on my reservation. So I think you do have a good chance of getting your requests.
We have stayed in the Royal Rooms once, and enjoyed it. We were in Oak Manor.
I adore the Royal Rooms! That being said, I would have a hard time spending 600 quid on that upgrade. That's about $850 and I keep thinking of all that could get you! But they really are gorgeous rooms. But I'm like a 5 year old girl who's just happy there are fireworks in my headboard!
Thanks. Think we will just go ahead and book a standard Royal Room. Ds will love it I think.

Just spent four days in Mansions 8077, ground floor corner room. Mousekeeping was ok. Room was tidy. Never enough coffee pods, no clothes bag but walking to the dining hall was easy. This morning, early, there was a very loud family outside the window. It was tempting to say something but I was already awake. Just a reminder, just because you are awake doesn't mean everyone else is. BTW - no alarm clock in the room. Quiet pool was not quiet - many screaming children. Walked over to the hot tub at the main pool and couldn't get in due to the 15 other people already in - predominantly children. Ate at Boatwrights one evening and had the worst service, bar none, that I have ever had there. The food was ok but two hours to eat while our server was fawning over other tables left him the tip he deserved for non-service. Same thing happened at California Grill - maybe it was just our luck this weekend. Bus service was fine but we didn't go to the parks (we were there for the half marathon) so don't know what others experienced. If you have any questions I am happy to answer them.

Checking In Tomorrow hopefully I will find a few hours of sleep tonight before we head for the airport in the morning. Requested a mansion side ground floor room so we will see it we got our requests.

Hello everyone,

Admittedly, I haven't had time to read through all 177 pages of this thread so bear with me. Normally when we go to WDW, we stay at Pop Century, due to financial reasons. This time, we are looking at going back the week before Thanksgiving but are looking at possible a split stay with most of the week at POR with the last two nights at Pop for our two little girls. Having never stayed at POR before, we would be reserving just a standard room. I'm wondering how much walking (i.e. distance) back and forth (worst case scenario) between the room and the front lobby would be involved. I know that there are 4 bus stops but I'm mainly concerned about things like getting breakfast, filling up mugs, etc.

Just stayed at POR for the first time two weeks ago. LOVED the grounds and the pool, but REALLY hated our room in alligator bayou because of the mattresses. I'm really disappointed, because I thought POR was going to become our new "home" resort since it fits my family of 5 and is very budget friendly. Does anyone know if the mattresses are different in different buildings or anything? Does anyone know if the mattresses are better at a different moderate? With 3 kids now, staying deluxe is harder than it used to be! I need my disney dollar to stretch a little farther! TIA!

Hello everyone,

Admittedly, I haven't had time to read through all 177 pages of this thread so bear with me. Normally when we go to WDW, we stay at Pop Century, due to financial reasons. This time, we are looking at going back the week before Thanksgiving but are looking at possible a split stay with most of the week at POR with the last two nights at Pop for our two little girls. Having never stayed at POR before, we would be reserving just a standard room. I'm wondering how much walking (i.e. distance) back and forth (worst case scenario) between the room and the front lobby would be involved. I know that there are 4 bus stops but I'm mainly concerned about things like getting breakfast, filling up mugs, etc.

I'm not an expert, but looking quickly on Google Maps, I'd say it would be similar. I checked a point that appeared to be the furthest at POP, and it came at 0.3 miles to the main building. With POR, I got slightly more at 0.4 miles, but I don't think that would make much of a difference. Unless you were always right next to the lobby at POP and got the furthest possible room at POR, I would think it would be similar.

Just stayed at POR for the first time two weeks ago. LOVED the grounds and the pool, but REALLY hated our room in alligator bayou because of the mattresses. I'm really disappointed, because I thought POR was going to become our new "home" resort since it fits my family of 5 and is very budget friendly. Does anyone know if the mattresses are different in different buildings or anything? Does anyone know if the mattresses are better at a different moderate? With 3 kids now, staying deluxe is harder than it used to be! I need my disney dollar to stretch a little farther! TIA!
Our matresses were awful when we stayed last December. Very creaky and hard. I was hoping they were about to be replaced. We stayed in Alligator Bayou and will be staying in the Royal Rooms this December. I really hope its corrected by then as we otherwise love the place.

Thanks folks, I've updated my buses pages to indicate all stops now have working Wait Time screens.

Andre

the monitors work, yes, but if they're reliable, that's questionable! last week we were going to AK and when we got to the bus stop, it said estimated arrival around 11:25 or so. then watched the time go up and up, bus finally arrived around 11:45. still handy to have them there.

Just spent four days in Mansions 8077, ground floor corner room. Mousekeeping was ok. Room was tidy. Never enough coffee pods, no clothes bag but walking to the dining hall was easy. This morning, early, there was a very loud family outside the window. It was tempting to say something but I was already awake. Just a reminder, just because you are awake doesn't mean everyone else is. BTW - no alarm clock in the room. Quiet pool was not quiet - many screaming children. Walked over to the hot tub at the main pool and couldn't get in due to the 15 other people already in - predominantly children. Ate at Boatwrights one evening and had the worst service, bar none, that I have ever had there. The food was ok but two hours to eat while our server was fawning over other tables left him the tip he deserved for non-service. Same thing happened at California Grill - maybe it was just our luck this weekend. Bus service was fine but we didn't go to the parks (we were there for the half marathon) so don't know what others experienced. If you have any questions I am happy to answer them.
The coffee pods, clock and laundry bag are easy fixes. I just leave a note (generally first day) in the room for mousekeeper asking for the items I want extra of. For us it's usually shampoo & conditioner. Both daughter & I have thick hair, and daughters is long.
With loud families in front of our room at inappropriate hours, I open the door & stick my head out. They usually get the point :rolleyes:
As for the quiet pools, they really aren't, or designated quiet pools. But if it's late at night and people are being disrespectful with noise level, you can always phone front desk. It's a call centre that answers, but you can ask to be transferred yo resort desk. I've never run into that problem with noise after hours in pool.
Those hot tubs are tiny at Riverside. I wish they would enlarge it! But I've always found if there isn't room, people will make room, and move their kids.

We'll be at POR in 5 days and are so excited! I just sent in my room request using the online fax option and it worked perfectly. We had to book a split stay due to availability so my main request was that we be assigned the same room for all five nights. Hopefully that will work. Thanks for all the great information and advice!!

Thanks all! Did they put a power strip or something in it's place? I will use my phone for the alarm but it would be nice if there's a place to plug in/ charge the multiple phones/ipad and I don't have to pack one.

I have found that it is often really difficult to find enough open plugs to use so I purchased this: http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger...1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage It works great and Anker has excellent reviews for it's product. All the USB chargers will plug into it. I use it at home and we can plug in all of our things from one plug.

Always a tough situation, especially when you know it can be better. Sorry it wasn't great all the way around, I have felt your pain as we too try to carry on with the Magical Feel :)

We had the opposite experience, at the same time! Sorry yours was not fantastic :( I will say - the hot tub at POR is WAY too small. I couldn't believe the clown car-ness of it. There were at least 15 people in that tiny little thing every time I went by!!

We were in AB - 3705. LOVED the mattresses. Seriously, I couldn't get enough of them. I am not sure if they were new (last visit was 2002..), or if I just like crappy mattresses, ha!

Sitting in rocking chairs on the porch at POR as I type this waiting on the Tragic Express. :(. We were here four nights for Dark Side race weekend. Fantastic trip all around. Best one yet. I'll post a report and pics later when I get home. Can't wait to return 10/1!!!!

That was me yesterday. BOOOOO!! It was our best resort vacation at WDW thus far (25+), too. POR rocks!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter