Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Hey guys! We are new to the DIS boards and where wondering if there are any major cons to staying at the Port Orleans Riverside? Is there anything that has been an ongoing issue or problem? We are staying here for the 20th anniversary DIS meet and looking forward to the trip.

Not for me! I stayed there on my second ever trip to WDW and haven't looked back.

We are having the same dilemma except there are no pool view royal rooms left when we are going...We are a young couple in our 30's but my husband recently went from limited vision to 100% blind in one eye. Andre has some good advice!
When are you going? We have a royal room from 5/31-6/6 and will likely "downgrade" if possible. Keep checking with Disney - there are upgrades available all the time.

When are you going? We have a royal room from 5/31-6/6 and will likely "downgrade" if possible. Keep checking with Disney - there are upgrades available all the time.

3/24-3/30...still booked at wilderness Lodge for now. We are going to see how things pan out over the next two weeks financially and then make a decision . It's always nice to save $600 though!

I've stayed a few days in Wilderness Lodge (quite a few years ago though!) and I would say that the room interiors are actually much more akin to POR's Alligator Bayou section (which includes the Preferred rooms) than they are to the mansion building rooms. Both WL and AB feature rustic woodsy design details, and are very similar in terms of size and amenities. WL is a sort of 'semi-deluxe' in terms of its rooms anyway, especially when you compare with the likes of the Grand Floridian, Yacht & Beach, etc.

Andre

I tried to zoom in on the pics for the preferred room and did notice the beds look similar ...I still think it's very hard to tell until you are actually in the room what the "ambiance" is like.

we are waiting for the temporary menu to come out from geyser point at WL... if it's as limited as we suspect we are definitely switching ( what we have read so far has mentioned some sort of salmon sandwich and a bison burger )...

One of the things we like the most about Port Orleans from reading is the extensive menu At the QS. We do like to spend a lot of time at the hotel so that is important to us .

I actually called earlier to check because we are booked under a pin code u can't check online.. The preferred rooms are actually gone online under the current offer but that doesn't mean they are gone from the pin code availability ... Disney is "experiencing magical enhancements" so I couldn't get an answer if there was anything left besides the Royal rooms.

I tried to zoom in on the pics for the preferred room and did notice the beds look similar ...I still think it's very hard to tell until you are actually in the room what the "ambiance" is like.

we are waiting for the temporary menu to come out from geyser point at WL... if it's as limited as we suspect we are definitely switching ( what we have read so far has mentioned some sort of salmon sandwich and a bison burger )...

One of the things we like the most about Port Orleans from reading is the extensive menu At the QS. We do like to spend a lot of time at the hotel so that is important to us .

I actually called earlier to check because we are booked under a pin code u can't check online.. The preferred rooms are actually gone online under the current offer but that doesn't mean they are gone from the pin code availability ... Disney is "experiencing magical enhancements" so I couldn't get an answer if there was anything left besides the Royal rooms.

... and at the rate we are going the decision might be made for us if everything books ... but we are not going to be ready to make a decision for two weeks so we will just see what happens ...we are definitely going to go visit though if we don't switch

... and at the rate we are going the decision might be made for us if everything books ... but we are not going to be ready to make a decision for two weeks so we will just see what happens ...we are definitely going to go visit though if we don't switch

If you find a good deal, book it anyway. Then you will have two bookings on the system, but as long as you have booked directly with WDW you can cancel either room at no cost and get your full deposit back, right up to 6 days before your check-in date. Then you're covered whatever you decide.

Andre

I hope I got the correct info, but I was told on another thread that it would be okay for my brother & kids (they live near Disney) to meet us at POR then ride the bus with us to the parks for a day. If they ended up coming later than planned, could they still go to the resort without us having to be there, and then take the bus & meet us at MK. We would then all ride back on the bus to our hotel and hang out for a while and possibly have dinner there before they drive back. Once he arrives at the POR, how would he obtain a parking pass? TIA

I hope I got the correct info, but I was told on another thread that it would be okay for my brother & kids (they live near Disney) to meet us at POR then ride the bus with us to the parks for a day.

That should be fine, just let them know your room number so that when they arrive they can tell the security guard who they are visiting. They probably won't ask, but best to be prepared. Or just say they are visiting to look round the resort for a possible future visit - no one will worry about parking passes, I usually forget to put mine in the car for the first few days anyway. :)

Andre

That should be fine, just let them know your room number so that when they arrive they can tell the security guard who they are visiting. They probably won't ask, but best to be prepared. Or just say they are visiting to look round the resort for a possible future visit - no one will worry about parking passes, I usually forget to put mine in the car for the first few days anyway. :)

Andre
Ok, thanks so much! We are super excited about this trip :)

Anyone there now and seeing the blogger moms? I follow two moms and they both said they are there.

If you find a good deal, book it anyway. Then you will have two bookings on the system, but as long as you have booked directly with WDW you can cancel either room at no cost and get your full deposit back, right up to 6 days before your check-in date. Then you're covered whatever you decide.

Andre

it's actually a really good idea, but are they able to move the money from one trip to the other ?..

Just trying to figure out what we will do because we have to make a full payment 45 days out which is actually two weeks from now.

Last edited:
it's actually a really good idea, but are they able to move the money from one trip to the other ?..

Just trying to figure out what we will do because we have to make a full payment 45 days out which is actually two weeks from now.

In which case I assume you have a package booked (with tickets, or dining plan/etc) as the cancellation deadline for packages is 45 days not 6. It's only 6 days for room-only bookings.

Andre

Hey guys! We are new to the DIS boards and where wondering if there are any major cons to staying at the Port Orleans Riverside? Is there anything that has been an ongoing issue or problem? We are staying here for the 20th anniversary DIS meet and looking forward to the trip.
Nope!! It's our fav resort. I prefer the mansion section but all areas are beautiful. Love walking along the pretty river paths, the boat to Disney Springs, beautiful landscaping, the sounds of the river boat horns and horse & carriages. Evening entertainment, and good food court.

Our package was only due 30 days out?

Yes, same here...I don't know why I said 45 days LOL...we are 6 weeks from the trip, payment due Feb 22...It's looking more and more like this is the best financial decision for us but I am still on the fence. :(

I called again and checked, they still have POR preferred room or RR Garden view, but the lady told me she could see 2 rooms for each? I didn't realize they could see actual inventory. Sounded strange! I called Disney directly. We are stuck inside today with the snow so I think I will be watching more POR videos.

It's tough because it took us 4 years to get back to Disney so I think I am afraid it might be another 4 which is why I am freaking out LOL. We would love nothing more than to love POR and save the $600-800 over WL.

Nope!! It's our fav resort. I prefer the mansion section but all areas are beautiful. Love walking along the pretty river paths, the boat to Disney Springs, beautiful landscaping, the sounds of the river boat horns and horse & carriages. Evening entertainment, and good food court.

That sounds nice....Ahhh. LOL. Do you have any favorite pics?

We would love nothing more than to love POR and save the $600-800 over WL.

I really don't think you will be disappointed if you swap to POR, it really is a lovely resort and the grounds and theming are gorgeous. The only thing you might miss would be the indoor corridor access to your room, and room service I guess - and of course the wonderful lobby at WL. And there's nothing to stop you visiting WL for a meal one evening with the $800 you'll save...

Have you checked out http://www.portorleans.org/topten.php ?

Andre

It's tough because it took us 4 years to get back to Disney so I think I am afraid it might be another 4 which is why I am freaking out LOL. We would love nothing more than to love POR and save the $600-800 over WL.
We were pleasantly surprised by how much we liked POR. The resort rooms in the alligator bayou section have the feel of the WL resort rooms, although not quite as nice. The food court is very nice and Boatwrights is a good restaurant. We loved the pool area. The pool bar is huge and has several tables under the roof. We took advantage of that roof on several rainy afternoons at the pool. The only thing we really didn't like was the resort buses. We experienced some extremely long waits at park close when we were at DHS and Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter