Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have never stayed at WL, but we are thinking of it for our October trip (we have stayed at BLT 2 bedroom villa, AKL 2 bedroom villa, BC and loved them all for different reasons). We are 2 adults, and 2 kids (ages 11 and 13). Kids prefer not to share a bed, but they can do it. I currently have 3 reservations, some with the Offer price and some full price, but they are all about the same cost. Which of these would you prefer and why:
1. WL Courtyard View bunkbed room
2. Copper Creek Deluxe Studio
3. Wilderness Cabin

I just have no sense for this resort and what to pick. I've read the first several pages of this thread, and I understand some of the differences, but any advice would be appreciated. We are rope drop people, and probably won't take a mid day break since the kids are old enough to go all day and park hop now. We plan to attend one MNSSHP. The girls love to swim, and I think all of these have access to the same pools, correct? I know the Studio will have a little kitchenette, and the Cabin will have bunks and a sofa bed (are these all in the same room?). In the studio, I think there is only a sofa bed (can we add a roll away or not allowed)?

Thanks for any insights, experts!!

Just to clarify, do you mean a cabin at Fort Wilderness or a cabin at Wilderness Lodge? They are different resorts with different amenities.

I don’t know anything about CC, to be honest. But if your main concern is not sharing beds, I’d keep the WL bunk bed room.

So the cabin at Fort Wilderness will not have a resort attached, it is just cabins in the woods?

The Cabin is at Fort Wilderness Resort. This is so confusing to me for some reason!!

So the cabin at Fort Wilderness will not have a resort attached, it is just cabins in the woods?

They are part of Ft Wilderness Resort & Campgrounds.

To further confuse the issue, there are also the new waterfront cabins at Wilderness Lodge! They’re part of the DVC resort Copper Creek.

It is part of Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort, which has campsites and cabins. It is a resort, but it does not have a HOTEL on its grounds.

Your other two choices are part physically part of the same building at a different resort, Disney's Wilderness Lodge. The Wilderness Lodge resort's main hotel building used to be just the hotel. For simplicity, it has a north and a south wing. There is also an adjacent building (short covered walkway joins them), which is now called "Boulder Ridge Villas" and was formerly "Villas at Wilderness Lodge", which is a DVC property.

For the main building, Disney decided to convert the south side wing into a DVC property called "Copper Creek Villas" (they also added cabins that are part of Copper Creek, those are along the waterfront and are very expensive). Basically, they gutted the hotel rooms and redid them as studio, one, two, and three bedroom villas.

The whole complex, the hotel side, and the two DVCs, are often generally referred to as "Wilderness Lodge", though once you starting talking rooms you need to get specific as to which part of the complex you are talking about.

So, the hotel rooms and the CCV villas share the same physical building, two different but connected (via the main lobby area on the inside) wings.

We have stayed several times in the hotel side, but this December we stayed in the Copper Creek side in a studio. We really prefer the CCV studio, for several reasons: laminate floors [much better for our allergies]; kitchenette [microwave is very useful]; lighter colours [paint, etc; the room is much brighter]. We got the walk-in shower studio, so it had a handheld showerhead and walk-in shower, but no tub [this was great !]. But, we are two adults, so YMMV.

SW

We have never stayed at WL, but we are thinking of it for our October trip (we have stayed at BLT 2 bedroom villa, AKL 2 bedroom villa, BC and loved them all for different reasons). We are 2 adults, and 2 kids (ages 11 and 13). Kids prefer not to share a bed, but they can do it. I currently have 3 reservations, some with the Offer price and some full price, but they are all about the same cost. Which of these would you prefer and why:
3. Wilderness Cabin

I just have no sense for this resort and what to pick. I've read the first several pages of this thread, and I understand some of the differences, but any advice would be appreciated. We are rope drop people, and probably won't take a mid day break since the kids are old enough to go all day and park hop now. We plan to attend one MNSSHP. The girls love to swim, and I think all of these have access to the same pools, correct? I know the Studio will have a little kitchenette, and the Cabin will have bunks and a sofa bed (are these all in the same room?). In the studio, I think there is only a sofa bed (can we add a roll away or not allowed)?

Options 1&2 are in the same resort, Wilderness Lodge. #1 is in the main building north side. #2 is also in the Main building, but on the south side DVC wing.
#3 cabins are in a different resort, Ft. Wilderness and won’t share the same pools as WL.
The website AllEars under accommodations have very good descriptions of the rooms and resorts.

Thank you all! Starwind your post really clarified a lot for me! I think we want to stay at WL, so then it owukd be comparing the CCV Studio to the WL bunk bed room. Any others who have done both and have thoughts on them?

Hello everyone. Wow - this says I joined "2005" .. been a long while since I've been here. Crazy!

Okay ... I had a question I wasn't able to find any ACTUAL definitive answer for and I'm hoping you fine experienced people can help me out. The last time I was in WDW was about 15 years ago. Moving to California meant going to DL infinity more than WDW, but in a couple weeks, I'm going back and making a long-awaited vacation out of it. My question is, I remember the AC (wall thermostat) units in the rooms were motion sensitive. If you left the room (or fell asleep), after a certain amount of time passed, the AC would turn off - causing myself or my better half to either wake up in a sweat or to come back to a sweltering room. Is there any way to bypass that motion tracking wall unit or should I get some duct tape and a battery-operated "waving cat"-like thing to keep it on? We like the room cold - it doesn't need to be penguin cold, but I remember coming back to an 80 degree room and spending hours rolling in bed unable to get sleep. I've read things online that state to punch in an override code (would that get us in trouble?), to call the front desk to send a maintenance person to "adjust it" for the time we're there and others say "can't do anything about it, it's just how it is." What do the Wilderness Lodge experts think?

TLDR : Is there any way to "trick" the AC motion tracking thingy in the room to keep it on (or at a temperature) instead of turning off? That is, assuming they even still have those anymore.

PS : Sorry this is a long drawn-out question ... wasn't supposed to be. :0( Thank you everyone for at least reading this mess!

Thank you all! Starwind your post really clarified a lot for me! I think we want to stay at WL, so then it owukd be comparing the CCV Studio to the WL bunk bed room. Any others who have done both and have thoughts on them?

I suggest googling and watching some youtube "room tour" videos of each [ google: copper creek room tour ] [google: disney wilderness lodge bunk bed room tour ] [note: f or the hotel rooms, the new bedding is white with a runner at the end of the bed; if the video has a colourful bedspread the video is older and the rooms are darker than they are now].

Also, there is a really nice 360 view series of the CCV villas [ studio is here: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=Zp7gtUdZMZy ] -- great for getting a good feel for what it looks like.

SW

We haven't stayed at CCV yet but I do know that you would get a beautiful room which would have one queen bed and one sofa sleeper. The WL bunkbed room would give you three sleeping surfaces and a room with a lot of character. I think it would be up to you to decide one which kind of a resort room you would like. The CCV room and the WL room both on the same building so there wouldn't be any difference as far as amenities and distance to lobby, view and transportation.

My question is, I remember the AC (wall thermostat) units in the rooms were motion sensitive. If you left the room (or fell asleep), after a certain amount of time passed, the AC would turn off - causing myself or my better half to either wake up in a sweat or to come back to a sweltering room.
We have stayed at WL many times since 2013 and can't remember having a motion activated AC. 2005 was a long time ago. :) We haven't had any problem setting the thermostat to the temp we want. :)

I have, but without kids -

The CC studios are very new and clean and modern. But I can't imagine you'd get separate beds for each kid. There's a pullout couch. Can't beat the fridge and microwave, though.

The bunkbed rooms are going to be a little more "rustic" in theme. It's really cute, just not as bright. The bunk beds didn't seem huge, but would probably give each kid more personal space.

Being in wings of the same building, you'll be about the same distance from the lobby and food. The bunk bed side will be a tiny bit closer to the boat dock.

(We actually got "stuck" at Copper Creek last year during the hurricane. For what it's worth, we still very much want to go back to the Wilderness Lodge, even if we did almost go mad there.)

3. Wilderness Cabin

The Copper Creek Cabin is not the same as the Fort Wilderness Cabin at Fort Wilderness. These are deluxe DVC accommodations that consist of two bedrooms (one with a king bed and attached master bath), one with a queen and murphy bed, plus a queen sleeper sofa and twin sleeper chair in the living room. The Copper Creek Cabin is a lot more costly than the Copper Creek Studio which is a renovated hotel room. This is the Copper Creek Cabin that is located at Wilderness Lodge.
Cabin-FFE-Plan-Cabin-FFE-16x9.jpg
The Fort Wilderness Cabin is smaller with one bedroom with a queen bed and set of bunks.

Wilderness Cabin
Views of Woods

1 Queen Bed and 1 Bunk Bed and 1 Double-Size Sleeper Sofa

Sleeps up to 6 Adults

The Wilderness Cabin is not located at Wilderness Lodge, but at Fort Wilderness, the campground. You would not be able to swim at Wilderness Lodge if you stayed in a Fort Wilderness Cabin. They are two different resorts and are not sister resorts.

Thank you all so much for all of your help on my list of possibilities!! I feel much better informed! I do not think the For Wilderness Cabin is for us this time, as I am looking for the full resort amenities. Now it is just down to CCV Studio versus WL Bunk Room. They sound very similar in location and amenities, other than the bedding and the kitchenette and two sinks versus one in the bathrooms.

Can you have a roll away in CCV Studios? If so, we might go with that one. Then again, even if allowed, it may make it impossible to move around the room. I assume the rooms at WL bunk bed room and CCV studio are the same size in square feet since CCV was converted from WL hotel rooms?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Can you have a roll away in CCV Studios? If so, we might go with that one. Then again, even if allowed, it may make it impossible to move around the room. I assume the rooms at WL bunk bed room and CCV studio are the same size in square feet since CCV was converted from WL hotel rooms?
They do not have roll away beds at WL or CCV. The rooms are too small to allow them. I have not been in the new CCV rooms but you are right that they are the same size as the WL rooms.

You'll probably get better answers from other people, but my thought is that if you are trying for 3 sleeping surfaces, you need to keep in mind that in a studio, you would have the sofa bed pulled out. I don't know if you could fit a roll away in there with the sofa bed pulled out. If people book a DVC room on points, they aren't supposed to be allowed to get a roll away. I don't know if people who book a DVC room through Disney reservations are allowed to get a roll away.

Some people bring air mattresses and stand them up when not in use. But I don't know if you could fit an air mattress in there.

If 3 sleeping surfaces are important to you, I'm not sure why you are even considering a studio if a bunk bed room is available.

Touring Plans says this about the Copper Creek studios and has pictures:
Studios: Studios sleep up to four people. They include one queen-size bed, and a queen-sized sofa bed. The total Studio room size is 345 square feet, with about half of that being dedicated to the kitchen and bathroom area.
https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/hotels/copper-creek-villas

Touring Plans says this about Wilderness Lodge rooms:
Wilderness Lodge's rooms are slightly smaller than some of Disney's other deluxe resorts. At 344 square feet they are smaller than BoardWalk Inn's 371 sf, Yacht & Beach Club's 381 sf, Grand Floridian's 440 sf, and Polynesian's 415 sf.
https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/hotels/disneys-wilderness-lodge

Allears says this about the Wilderness Lodge bunk bed rooms:
The Bunk Bed rooms are the same size as the rooms with 2 queen beds. The bunk beds are centered in the area the queen bed would be in. There is space between the bunks and the wall but there are bed-rails on both sides of the top bunk. The Wilderness Lodge no longer accepts requests for bunk bed rooms.
We were surprised to have bunk beds in our room, as we did not request this. It worked out well, though I found it odd that the bed is clearly posted with a warning that children under 6 should not be in the top bunk. Our children, whose ages are listed on the reservation are 3 and 4. The 4 year old stayed on top, but we had strict rules about not climbing unless there was an adult to help, etc.
We stayed in room # 4012 one of the bunk bed rooms. The bunk bed worked out wonderfully for the kids (6 & 8).
These bunk beds are fine unless you're over 5.5 ft.
The bunk bed room was great, but it had poor lighting. The wall lamp over where the second queen bed would have been was removed to make way for the bunks. Since there was no overhead lighting, this made the room very dark, especially the area where you put your suitcases.
http://allears.net/acc/faq_wl.htm

Thank you all so much for all of your help on my list of possibilities!! I feel much better informed! I do not think the For Wilderness Cabin is for us this time, as I am looking for the full resort amenities. Now it is just down to CCV Studio versus WL Bunk Room. They sound very similar in location and amenities, other than the bedding and the kitchenette and two sinks versus one in the bathrooms.

Thanks!!!
CCV is a DVC resort and DVC will not provide rollaways. Plus the studio is pretty small and it wouldn't fit anyway. You can bring your own air bed if your daughters don't want to share the queen sized sleeper sofa. Here is the dedicated studio. If it is a lockoff, there will be a door opposite the sleeper sofa connecting it to a one bedroom villa to make a two bedroom lockoff.
ROOM_TYPE_3_Dedicated-studio-16x9.jpg

Thanks!!!
Bunk bed room is 100% the thing you want. DVC Studios can be rather small (for the exception of Polynesian studios) and would be pretty cramped for your situation. The bunk bed rooms are not as flashy and new as the copper creek villa rooms but they will provide the 2 separate sleep surfaces for your children.

Can anyone tell me where the washer and dryer room is in the boulder ridge villas? We dont have a washer this time around and am pretty sure we will need to wash a load. thanks!

wait, what? we have stayed in BRV several times, in the 1 bedrooms, and there was a washer dryer combo unit in the room. Has that changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter